• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Understimated Pokemon

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
*underestimated

Out of 649 Pokemon that we can battle with, there is an abundance of Pokemon that just don't receive enough of the spotlight that they're really entitled to. Some lack horribly a good movepool, some stats, but when used correctly, can be devastating to opposing teams. So which Pokemon do you think are most commonly underestimated? For what reasons? Have you found a way of best utilising what they have to offer? Care to share? Feel free to dicuss anything relating to underestimated Pokemon and how if used in the right way, can really shine.

Note: Remember, we're talking about underestimated Pokemon competitively.

Last edited:
Years
I think the entire mamoswine evolution family are "underused" or "underestimated". They are have good stats(by their respective tiers' standard), good ability (thick fat makes it resistant to boltbeam), and FANTASTIC
Spoiler:
duel stabs. The only "downsides" to them are their horrible defensive typing and mediocre bulk.

Now if you look at their rankings, you'd be surprised. Swinub is 87 in the december 2012 LC stats, piloswine is 23 in NU and 83 in RU, while mamoswine is 27 in OU and 75 in Ubers(where he actually functions best imo). Now, those stats aren't bad and doesn't mean that they are horribly underused, but they are decidedly average. Especially Mamoswine in Ubers, it 2hkos so much threats with a simple eq+ ice shard, and a lot of the premiere Uber walls are weak to ice(groudon lugia giratina arceus grass etc).

I honestly think that the mamoswine family should be used more, and I encourage people to use Mamoswine in ubers. I promise that it wouldn't disappoint you :]

ClumzyTrainR13

Storm Caster
Years
I think Darmanitan is quite underestimated. I mean honestly, have you seen this guy's attack level?! Mines only level 60 and it already has a stat of 203, without any Ev Training or boosters! some people might even say he could match to Chandelure, depending on the moveset. The only downside is his common moveset includes moves that result in disadvantage, such as Hammer Arm, Overheat, Flare Blitz, etc. other than that, he's an overall great pokemon!

Years
Arbok is an extremely underrated Pokemon. It has the ability to absolutely TEAR offensive teams apart. It's quite bulky with Intimidate and Coil, and has great coverage, yet it sits in PU right now. I, for one, find this unacceptable as it is such a beast when used correctly.

Unfortunately, it cannot function well in the higher tiers, but it is an incredible Pokemon in NU who deserves waaaay more love than it is given.

QuickSilveri

Veteran
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 17, 2017
Flygon is my second favorite dragon (next to Salamence), and It it completely underestimated. What people fail to realize is that it is one of the faster and harder-hitting dragons out there. Its movepool is second to none, with moves being learned that cover all angles. The major drawback is that it has a double weakness to ice, and those moves are very common in the metagame and Flygon's defences arent up to snuff enough to resist them. Poor guy..

Regards, Chris

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2020
Purely underrated, I'd say Scrafty. It's in UU but functions fantastic in OU. Even with a weakness to fighting, a Pokémon with stellar defenses and a useable attack shouldn't be looked over. Now give that Pokémon DDance to boost its dismal speed and to boost it's attack to sweeping level and watch what happens. Especially when it's attack is boosted with each kill in Moxie.

If you're looking at a Pokémon that with the right set, can be an absolute pain for opponents, I'd say Sigilyph. From a competitive standpoint, it is one of my favorite Pokémon to use. With one free turn, you can often get enough defense out of Cosmic Power to be able to take a hit. Then with the right amount of roosting and burning those physical threats, Sigilyph can easily drive opponents insane.

Years
Purely underrated, I'd say Scrafty. It's in UU but functions fantastic in OU. Even with a weakness to fighting, a Pokémon with stellar defenses and a useable attack shouldn't be looked over. Now give that Pokémon DDance to boost its dismal speed and to boost it's attack to sweeping level and watch what happens. Especially when it's attack is boosted with each kill in Moxie.

I have to say Scrafty is definitely awesome, I remember how threatening they are when I battle them thanks to their nice defensive stats and solid Attack stat. Moxie is an awesome ability for it, and with a few Dragon Dance boosts it's Hi Jump Kick can end up OHKOing a lot of foes.

In B2/W2 it also gets some additional type coverage, thanks to the Move Tutors.

If you're looking at a Pokémon that with the right set, can be an absolute pain for opponents, I'd say Sigilyph. From a competitive standpoint, it is one of my favorite Pokémon to use. With one free turn, you can often get enough defense out of Cosmic Power to be able to take a hit. Then with the right amount of roosting and burning those physical threats, Sigilyph can easily drive opponents insane.

I underestimated Sigilyph at first, then tried one in Black 2 and she was able to take out a lot of stuff easily. It learns the defensive screens as well as Cosmic Power, which if set up at the right time will make it pretty bulky and hard to take down.

It also gets some interesting moves like Ice Beam, Shadow Ball and Energy Ball for some type coverage. Also, its Magic Guard ability is very helpful since it blocks all indirect damage, meaning Poison, Burn and Leech Seed's effects are pretty much useless. Magic Guard even makes Sigilyph immune to Stealth Rock damage, which is awesome in competitive play.

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2013
Ok 4 of the most underestimated are my wobbuffet, my meloetta, swaillow, and my skarmory. 1wobba is such a good trapper with a stupid amount of health it's not funny, 2meloetta because of it's insane speed that matches both latios and latias, 3 swaillow because of it's speed maxed at 389(i think correct me if I am wrong), and skarmory because of it's excellent wallinh capibility.

Back