• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Beta Place V2

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Category: Comprehensive; Language; Grammar; Proof-Reading
Genre: Original Trainer; Adventure; Fantasy
Preferred Method of Contact: VM
Examples of Writing: The examples I'm going to provide that are from when I was twelve are not proof-read and up-to-date, thus there may be some mistakes in grammar and spelling due to my inexperience at the time. My true skill should be based on my most recent fanfic, "The Thieves of Time", and not the older ones. The older ones are provided to show my writing style and my progress / improvement over the years.

Here's an example from a Legend of Zelda fanfic I wrote when I was eleven (approximately seven years ago; I abandoned it):

Spoiler:

Another excerpt from a novel I was planning to write when I was twelve (abandoned):

Spoiler:

Another from when I was twelve (abandoned):

Spoiler:

A more recent one, here's an excerpt from my Pokemon fanfiction "The Thieves of Time"; I'm a bit rusty, but I've improved since the LoZ fanfic (you can find the topic itself here):

Spoiler:

Examples of Reviews/Beta-Reports:

Silawen's "Caught in the Moment"

Nick815's "Shadows of Johto"
Spoiler:

darkpokeball's "The Return"
Spoiler:

Background: I'm a perfectionist; I wrote two complete novels before the age of thirteen, one which spanned 150 pages (normal margins; Times New Romans; Font Size 12). I won the Royal Canadian Legion English Proficiency Award of 2006 when I graduated from elementary school; I also won the Oustanding Achievement in English Excellence Award. As for grades, I'm a gifted student in languages who acts like a sponge with literature information. My marks in every subject, other than mathematics and physical education, average 80-95% without studying. Languages and writing is my passion, and I plan to make a career out of it.

Strengths&Weaknesses (Optional): Grammar, spelling, and context are big things for me. I can spot fragments and the misuse of a semi-colon instantly. I'm also a walking dictionary so generally, the misuse or the uncommon use of a word will be caught immediately, as in the example of "appreciate" in Silawen's fanfic. I'm a pretty rounded individual; when it comes to literature, I have reached a level where faults are rare and are committed 99% of the time by inattention. As well, I understand the concept of personal style in writing and I try not to impede on another's creativity.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yusshin - approved for Language, Grammar and Proof-Reading, but not for Comprehensive as the reviews supplied didn't really show enough of you reviewing other aspects of the stories such as characters and plot. (But if you want you can go for it later with other reviews that show those parts as well).

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Title of Story: Pokémon Adventures
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: There isn't really much of a plot, as it's mostly about my character and her being Giovanni's daughter and Silver's sister and being a PaulxOC fic.
Genre: Romance/Adventure
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG15
Type of mentor needed: I need a grammer checker, spelling checker, and someone to help me get the anime/manga characters in character. Also, I'd like an ideaist, someone to give me ideas for my story.
Writing sample of story:

From Kairi's Journal
Today, is my 12th birthday. Two years ago on my 10th birthday, I had begged my mom to let me go on a Pokémon training journey, like she had done, at that age, but seeing as how I didn't take very good care of Glameow back then, she refused to let me go. But, today on my 12th birthday, she finally gave in and decided to let me go.

What a shocker that was. Now maybe I can look for my father, who I don't even know anything about. He disappeared when I was a baby. Do, I have any other family besides my mother? Well, I don't know. Mom hates mentioning them.

Anyway, I start my journey tomorrow. I can't wait. My mom wanameow back then, she refused to let me go. But, today on my 12th birthday, she finally gave in and decided to let me go.

What a shocker that was. Now maybe I can look for my father, who I don't even know anything about. He disappeared when I was a baby. Do, I have any other family besides my mother? Well, I don't know. Mom hates mentioning them.

Anyway, I start my journey tomorrow. I can't wait. My mom wants me to be a Coordinator like her, but I wanted to be a Trainer, so to make her happy I will be both, if I can do both at one time. Anyway, I have already decided to choose Squirtle, as my starter. It's so cute! Anyway, see ya, Professor Oak's lector is getting ready to come on TV. He will be talking about the starting Pokémon he's giving away tomorrow.

Other: I might not write very often. It's hard to think of ideas.

Edit: Mizan de la Plume Kuro has agreed to Beta Read for me.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Oh, ok. Not adding then. =P

And if anyone else on the list of clients found a beta reader, please post saying so/notify me via vm/pm please.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
*blows dust off thread*

Delusions isn't reading enough fanfic. ): So, in addition to getting around to reading what's already here now that I've got a bit more time, why not force myself to read a fic or two and give someone a little extra help at the same time? Sign me up, yo.

Category: Comprehensive
Genre: Pretty much anything that's not straight-up romance or sex; I don't know that I'm the right person to ask about tragedy or angst, either, but you can try me. Sci-fi confuses the tar out of me but I'm still willing to try and help with it anyway.
Preferred method of contact: PM for initial contact/general discussion; I'll work something out with you when it's time to start sharing the to-beta stuff.
Examples of writing: ...do I have to? ): buuuhh I have no self-confidence and also haven't finished anything in years. The best complete work I've got on hand is a one-shot I wrote a few years ago that is a crappy failattempt at failangst (I told you I'm bad with angst; I don't even know why I wrote this), but I am proud of it purely because it is actually done. And it doesn't make me want to gouge my eyes out.

What Would You Do, Luther Sellig?

I can dig out some bits and pieces of incomplete stuff if you really need to see more, but yeah.

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Lesseehere. This is a recent review of Negrek's Clouded Sky on FF.net, chapter 41...

Spoiler:

Oh oh oh and I just did one here! Review of the first two chapters of Captain Fabio's Through the Lens: tadaaa.

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): Say it with me, kids: procrastinaaaaaa-tion. I am the Queen Procrastinatrix, although part of the reason I'm applying to be a beta is because I'm trying to break that habit (at least when it comes to fic reading and commenting). I also never shut up; if I start to ramble and you lose my point in a Wall of Text, please do smack me and tell me to be more concise.

That said, though, when I do buckle down and git 'er done, I'm very thorough and don't miss much. My grasp of English is pretty strong, helped along by the fact that I was very nearly an English major of some sort or another. I like to think I know what I'm talking about, anyway, so you should be in good hands with me. If, you know, I ever actually read what you send me. (I'll try to be punctual, I promise!)

Years
Title of Story: Ending Sunrise
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: Team Rocket has successfully taken over Kanto. Will the Chosen, recently returned from Sinnoh, be able to stop them?
Genre: Friendship & Suspense
Rating (PG, R, etc): M
Type of mentor needed: Azurne (Character Beta) and Yusshin (Grammar/Language Beta)
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I have been writing Pokémon fics since late 2005 and I see myself as a perfectionist. As such, I hate making mistakes.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Opening up shop again. This'll probably last a couple of weeks before I go psychotic. (Remember the last time? That was fun.)

Category: Comprehensive, Character, Grammar, Proofreader
Genre: Anything, but sci-fi's where I have the most fun. Yes, I even do smutfic if you want to write it for another site or something.
Preferred method of contact: PMs or VMs to set things up. After that, whatever's good for you.
Examples of writing: Anima Ex Machina is my current baby. For other samples, feel free to visit my Fanfiction.net account for other fanfiction and my deviantART account for poetry and writing snippets.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports:
- The Ash Ketchum Chronicles (Typical review, complete with my usual focus areas.)
- Oak's Revenge (Comprehensive analysis of characterization and language usage.)
- 7fEATHERS (Brief structural analysis, plus plot and characterization commentary.)
- The story of Burorm the freak (Another typical review.)
- Note: Because I like to keep my betas private, I can't offer an accurate sample of what one looks like. I can say, however, that I've worked with Legendarian Mistress for all of her current fics. One sample of an end result is her OT story, Ending Sunrise.
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):
Strengths: I'm a college graduate with a degree in English, grammar nazi tendencies, and an aspiration of getting into the publishing industry. I'm not saying this to flaunt my credentials. I'm saying this to tell you that if you ask for me, you're getting someone who's confident she knows what she's talking about. I'm thorough, I'm a perfectionist, and I've done the entire lit crit business for years. I know a good character from one that could use a little work, I can spot plot holes from miles away, I can tell what kinds of tones every little sentence lends to a paragraph, and I know more grammatical rules than most people think exist. In other words, if you ask for me, I've got a lot of tricks in the box to help you out without a problem.

Weaknesses: However, I'm also a massive procrastinator. I've been known to take a week for proofreading five pages, and it's probably going to be slower because I'm usually tied up with real-life stuff (or distractions of some kind). I'll keep in touch with you to tell you how it's going, but I'll probably be slower than a lot of other beta readers on the list.

Additionally, as I've said before, I know a lot about writing, but this also means I can be one intense ***** if I think you can do better or if I end up repeating myself for every chapter you send me. I usually expect betas to proofread their work before sending it in, and if you work with me, be prepared for lots of explanation, lots of nitpicking, and lots of instances where you really can't be a sensitive person. See some of my reviews for examples, although I've been trying to soften up a little since.

Finally, I'm also human. This means I might miss things, and it also means that I might not explain things well. (The latter is especially because I often work on betas late at night, so if it sounds like it makes sense to me, it might not to anyone else.) After you get my analysis back, read over it carefully, read over your original carefully to see if some of the things I said can be applied where I didn't notice, and most importantly, if something doesn't make sense, please don't hesitate to ask.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Updated you in Jax. =p (Also Delusions of Originality so here's your confirmation now derp >_<). Yes I am vaguely alive.

Years
  • Seen Mar 11, 2011
And....I want a beta!

I'd like to restart an old story on Serebii (link given under Writing Sample section).

Title of Story
Original Title -- Pokemon: Golden Dreams
Working Title -- [Pokemon] Nexus of Dreams
Final title preference (I'd like beta suggestions as to this.): Something with 'Dreams', or 'Aurora'.
Fandom
HG/SS. See spoiler for entire list of additions to it.
Spoiler:

Plot summary
Rick Tate is a normal kid in our world, around thirteen, who has a deep dislike of a certain monster-battle oriented franchise .... Pokemon. One day, after watching his friend Jacob's Grovyle evolve into Sceptile on Sapphire, Rick decides to go to sleep. When he wakes up to find his entire world has changed, Rick collapses in intense pain. Experiencing a strange dream, he wakes up in hospital to discover that he's in the Pokemon world and has an extremely dangerous disease, he is forced to do something no one ever expected he would do.

Rick and his two new Pokemon 'partners' leave on a journey, to bring him closer to Pokemon - the only cure for his disease.

If you found that confusing, here it is: Pokemon-disliking Rick gets sucked into the Pokemon world, where, after a seizure, he's told he has a disease that could kill him. The cure? Going on a loooong journey with a bunch of unbelievable monsters he doesn't even know about.

Genre
Adventure/Drama.

Rating
K+, due to the occasional "crap" and mentions of death. Be warned! I WILL kill off characters if I need to.

Type of mentor needed
I'm looking for someone who can help with character development and who can stand a deep-ish plot involving dimensional holes, about 6-9 protagonists and legendaries with uber powers. Occasional spell/grammar checks required.

Writing sample of story
The old story can be found at Serebii.net Forums->Fanfiction->Pokemon: Golden Dreams.

Other
The link above is the OLD story, which is to be revamped. Bear that in mind, please. Also, if you agree to beta it, I will send you the entire plot (so far), including rosters and characters.​

Eeveemaster9

Years of Lies
Years
The Reality of Fantasy

Title of Story: The Reality of Fantasy

Fandom: Other

Plot summary: After a long night partying with his friends, Kevin falls asleep rather quickly, only to find himself in a cage when he awakens. After encountering a young girl (Alia) whom is in the same situation, Kevin begins to get an idea of why he is there when a mysterious girl approaches him after Alia had been removed from her cage by "The Dragging Boy".

Genre: Sci-fi, Fantasy, Thriller

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG+14 (Minor swearing, Gore, & Minor Sexual References)

Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive (Grammar, Character)

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

Other: I lack in proper grammar skills, and making characters more realistic. I may also need help to make the setting believeable.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added to the list!

BTW there are still people on said list for a number of months now - so please tell me if you found someone and/or no longer looking for a Beta Reader, or if you are still looking!

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Title of Story: Digimon: Shadows of Souls

Fandom: Other...digimon.

Plot summary: Atina woke up one day to find herself as a Lopmon. As she uncovers the secrets to survive as a digimon, yet ignoring her feelings as a human, deep within the digimon world, a god in enraged by her encounter, causing a change in the digital world. There is more to this, but I need think more on the deeper plot.

Genre: Fantasy(sorry if I am terrible at this, but it will have some romance in this, so it's genre is also romantic, right?)

Rating: In the Fan Fiction rating, then T for teens (might not have it in the beginning, but will have some romance and maybe violence later on as it progresses.)

Type of mentor needed: May I ask for JX Valentine? I am bad, and need to improve by much, even if it is critical comments that really hit me bad...it improves me.

Writing sample of story:

Spoiler:

Very important: I am impatient. When a day passes and I got no response, I try to hold myself from PMs and such to get a response, even if it is negative. If I pm/email a story or such.....I NEED my review back by a few hours(one day at maximum...like waking up the next day and being impatient as to quit.) Sorry for my habit, I tried, but no use.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Added to the list, as Jax told me she can't take you on - as a beside if you want someone specific just contact them instead of posting here first I suggest. Also:
Very important: I am impatient. When a day passes and I got no response, I try to hold myself from PMs and such to get a response, even if it is negative. If I pm/email a story or such.....I NEED my review back by a few hours(one day at maximum...like waking up the next day and being impatient as to quit.) Sorry for my habit, I tried, but no use.
I would not be too hopeful about finding someone who can reply straight away. =| Betas tend to take time, and people are often busy with other stuff like life (school, work, etc) and possibly other betas too, so to need a reply back in a day, let alone a few hours, are very high expectations and probably just plain unrealistic to have as well. =|

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Also:I would not be too hopeful about finding someone who can reply straight away. =| Betas tend to take time, and people are often busy with other stuff like life (school, work, etc) and possibly other betas too, so to need a reply back in a day, let alone a few hours, are very high expectations and probably just plain unrealistic to have as well. =|

I'll wait a week at most, that's the most patient I am...but I will not do the hours, I was just exaggerating, XD. Either way, I am quite impatient, so I can't guarantee niceness in me if weeks pass....which I think won't.

By another mentor? Is that what you mean by that?...in that case, I need a proofreader and one who can tell me if something seems off or wrong about the story.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
If the mentor that you specifically want can't take you on because they already has enough clients, then you will have to wait for someone else to accept you.

I also wouldn't suggest even exaggerating in your application to this thread. Doing so (especially when you mention that the betas need to work under your time limit and will be pestered if they don't) won't make it likely that someone will be willing to help you. Generally a beta job can be finished in under a week, but sometimes things happen that will make it take longer, and if you are rude to your beta, they can drop you.

Last edited:

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
Years
  • Age 27
  • honk
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
Hmm?

By chance, if you have found a mentor off in the real world and you don't need this one, then are you eliminated here or still here? I just need to make sure.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
By chance, if you have found a mentor off in the real world and you don't need this one, then are you eliminated here or still here? I just need to make sure.
That's... worded somewhat confusingly. ._. At any rate, if you already have a mentor either from here or elsewhere and/or you do not want a mentor from here anymore, tell me or Astinus and you'll be removed from the list. Otherwise you'll stay on it.

Back