• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Just go with it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Have you ever been in a situation where somebody has made a mistake about you, but you were too polite to correct it at first so you decided it'd be easier just go to along with it? Have you ever been corrected by somebody and wished they would have just gone along with it to spare you the embarrassment?

A good example of this would be somebody calling you by the wrong name, and continuing to do so because you never bothered to correct them.

Years
Have you ever been in a situation where somebody has made a mistake about you, but you were too polite to correct it at first so you decided it'd be easier just go to along with it? Have you ever been corrected by somebody and wished they would have just gone along with it to spare you the embarrassment?

A good example of this would be somebody calling you by the wrong name, and continuing to do so because you never bothered to correct them.

This, holy crap. Basically throughout my educational years I've had countless people mispronounce my name. At first I tried to correct them and it worked for a while but then soon enough they'd forget and start mispronouncing it again. So I just didn't bother anymore, it wasn't that big of a deal after all. I'm not gonna like flip a table or something over it. It's funny because suddenly people I've met more recently (PC members and work collegues), they all pronounce my name correctly without any issues. It surprised me actually.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015

Gosh, so many times it's not even funny. People call me the wrong name literally all the time, I sometimes don't correct them because Ive honestly grown quite tired of it.

#isthenumbersign
Years
I sometimes get mistaken for a guy, like in a new class, because my name is Ryan. Obviously I have to correct them, because that's not exactly something I can continue to ignore. :P It doesn't happen too often though, once someone knows there's a girl named Ryan they don't usually forget and mistake me for a guy anymore.

And no one usually corrects me when I say something, so I guess when I think about it, I'm not sure if I do make mistakes or not. :/ It's nice though not to have that embarrassing moment.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
I was called Alex by my P.E. teacher and my Art teacher in grammar school and by my english teacher in high school. I didn't/don't want to be rude so I just go with the flow (something I rarely do). I tried to correct my friends who I had known for seven years but that went something like this-
My friend- Hi Alex
Me- Uh, my name's Alec.
My friend- Ok Alex.
I'm not even joking. And neither were they. But thats the only time I "go with the flow" I am a very stubborn person.

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
Years
People get confused once in a while on whether I'm a guy or a girl, but I go along with it regardless of which one they think. I think it's hilarious when they get their revelations on their own (e.g., "OMG I'M SO SORRY—what's so funny?!"), and it still manages to be fun if they don't figure out and correct themselves.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Oh I've had people say my name wrong, and I correct them. YET, they still seem to get it wrong! For the mostpart I haven't really been in a situation where I was forced to just go with the flow, I'm the type of person who isn't afraid of correcting people, even if it isn't about me. :P

Wateria

The cute team Aqua member
Years
I always have people who get my name wrong but I'm used to it by now and don't bothered trying to correct them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'll correct someone the first time it happens and if it happens again I'll just go with the flow. This has happened plenty of times with my name where people would pronounce it differently and even though I correct them will still continue to do so. So I've pretty much learned to not care.

Years

90% of my teachers/adults/relative strangers I know call my Ha-Roon instead of Hah-run and omg it can get very annoying. Teachers tend to get "fixed" once they hear my parents say my name. Idk why they dont do the same when they hear my friends say it right but 'teva.

Years
I've had people call me "Sir" and then apologize. Same thing with "Ma'am." >_>

And geez, at work I try to explain something to someone and they hear half of what I say and then when they repeat what I said they get it wrong and I have to step in and correct them. So frustrating.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
Years
People get my name wrong all the time and I'm still trying to figure out how. I mean, how many things can you confuse William for?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
When I was in the fifth grade, someone was calling out something to me on the bus, and someone else heard it incorrectly and thought they were calling me 'King Kong' and for the duration of fifth and sixth grade, everyone that rode the bus would call me King Kong without even knowing the basis of its origination. No matter how much I explained it, nobody cared. Oh well. n_n

Years
For as long as I can remember (probably back to elementary at least), people have always called me Brandon instead of Brendan. I kept correcting people until I was about 13 or 14, but I stopped bothering with it since seemingly everyone continued to mispronounce it.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
When I was really little, I was ridiculously shy and at summer camp the counselor introduced me as Amber but I was too afraid to say anything, so after all the introductions I went to her afterwards and corrected her lolol.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
It happens a lot to me, only for this last name that I have that is NOT difficult to spell but some find it difficult to pronounce that they can't even spell it. Even if I try to correct them, they'll call me other names that is humiliating, such as teriaki, IkiIki, it still happens now. It ticks me off so much.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
My last name, Miralles, pronounced as Mi-ral-yes, is often pronounced by my Reading teacher as Mer-yal-yes. The first time she called me this, I actually corrected her. Few weeks later, she started calling me Mer-yal-yes again. Never bothered to correct her ever again. At least I tried, didn't I?

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
my classmates get confused between me and my twin sis idk why we don't look twins at all and i wear specs she doesn't D:D: D:

Crux

Evermore
Years
My god,when I was really young people always though that I was a girl. I'd correct them but most of the time they'd just laugh and call me cute. x|
It was kinda annoying but it got to the point that I just didn't care any more.
If I was mistaken for being female now i'd think there was something seriously wrong with the person who thought as such. xD

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
Years
My teacher called me by my friend's name, so I just rolled with it...so one day I acted like my friend the entire day, I even took his I.D. and for the entire day I never answered anyone who called me by my real name...

Back