• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen May or Brendan?

Zorogami

WUB WUB
Years
On my very first playthrough i picked the male protag, and named him Ales after myself (Alejandro). I realized later on that i like the female design better, so whenever i replay the game now i pick May and name her Lara or Laura

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 28, 2021
I always pick Brendan because I'm a guy. Most video games don't let you pick your own character and name so when I get the chance I try to be myself as much as possible. So of course I name Brendan my name which is Colton. In Pokemon games where you have the choice of naming your rival I always name him after my brother. If it's a female I will name it after a friend of mine or girlfriend (if I have one...).

Years
May! Named her May because.. that was her name haha. I named my characters after their official names around that age but later started calling them by my real name.

Used Brendan in a new file on an emulator but usually I go with May because I pick the same character as my gender. But yeah.. May's overworld sprite does look pretty bad, ugh.

Trainer VyNk

Cursed Hemophillic.
Years
Nice topic ^_^ Well I never played as May in R/S/E
So its obvious I played as Male character because of different Clothes depending on Version of game like, Male character wears slightly Blue clothes in Ruby, so its version exclusive clothes that's why I always liked

Hoenn Region thus, I named Male Character Vin Which is abbreviation of my real name (Vinayak Is indeed my real name) ;) its a Secret okay!? :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
Don't think I've ever played as Brendan before. My brother chose him so I thought it'd be better if we played as different characters.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I always choose Brendan and usually name him deku or after my own name. However, I really prefer May's design.. I just never decide to play as her.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 31, 2014
I played as May because I feel she fits the story better. I used her official name because I don't always play as my gender and want to keep the stories consistent from game to game.

Ramsie

Currently in Unova
Years
On my first playthrough, I chose May and named her after myself because we are the same gender. I still frequently pick her now for the same reason, but occasionally I will pick Brendan for a change of pace. When I do, I usually name him Finn as it is the first male name I thought of that kinda resembles my name.

Years
I always chose May and named her Lara - my real life name xD I prefer May's design over Brendan's and I am a girl so that's why I usually go with May.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I picked May because I like the female characters in the games more. And now days reading the manga May (Saphire) is the bigger BA.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Since I'm a boy, I picked Brendan to match my own gender. On my first playthrough, I named him "Marky" which I thought was a cool name back then. :P Now I have the tradition to name myself as the canon name of the character (but there are some exceptions). As a result, I name myself Brendan in every subsequent playthrough.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 14, 2023
I almost always pick the male characters in Pokemon since I enjoy their designs more overall, and Brendan in particular is one of my favorite designs for a Pokemon 'protagonist'. His white hat/hair in particular make me laugh. :)

Ars Arcanum

The North Remembers.
Years
May because she's cool af and was actually in the show. Brendan was dead to me once I found out his cool white hair was actually just a hat.

Back