• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
Well, since the Croatians are out (and I'm not the least bit happy about it) I have decided to back the underdogs Greece for the rest of the tournament, and also France.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, goalline technology and so forth really should have already been implemented, and I feel there's workarounds for each argument against it too, tbh. And now Blatter says such technology is a necessity. A bit late, Blatter! -_-

I only really cared about Poland so as they are out I have not much else to support. =p

How about the first goal against France btw? That was a screamer.

Years
To be fair to the Croats, even though they pretty much parked the tank, they did create much better chances than Spain using the only tactic that isn't going to kill them against the possession game.

As for the England game, we played very poorly and got some benefit from the lack of GLT. I hate Blatter's attitude toward it, when it seemed to only go against England, goal line technology could take its sweet time. Now it's absolutely essential. I joked he would say something similar directly after it happened and he did, he and Platini are so predictable.

Years
Yeh, I agree with Nuke.
Someone said this to me and I agree so much.

Germany knock England out of World Cup, during game, Lampard scores, goal is not given when it is clearly over the line
Blatter: Meh
Ukraine goal not given vs England, England knock Ukraine out of Euros
Blatter: OMFG GOALLINETECHNOLOGY NOW

Continuous penalty shootouts over the years, many of which England have lost, especially against Germany
Blatter: Meh
Chelsea beat Bayern on penalties
Blatter: Find an alternative to penalties Beckenbauer, it's harsh.

It really is a joke. I just can't believe people just overlook these obviously bias decisions and views.​

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
Sepp Blatter is a joke. The problem is we have no alternative to him as every re-election no one stands against him (and when they do they get suspended).

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
I hope the shootout alternative ends up shelved like the "golden goal" and similar stupid ideas to get done with the extra time as quickly as possible. In this sense, I think it's all perfectly fine as it is right now.

Gabri

m8
Years
Now the Euro will be full of great unpredictable matches. I think no one really expected the Czech or the Greeks to make it much farther.

Ronaldo finally is blazing for his national team, and that's good. I wonder if it's possible stopping him the way he is now. I hope not :p And that Moutinho, I hate him for crying his way out of my club to a rival, but damn that guy's good.

About the Germany-Greece match, I think that pretty much showed everyone that the bus does not work against Germans.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
France was extremely disappointing. They had a really defensive starting XI and they ended up like pretty much everybody playing Spain without a clear defensive strategy- having 10 guys around the box doesn't necessarily mean that it will be any better defended.

I'm surprised at how well we are competing lately though- we have only conceded 1 goal in the tournament so far, and only Germany have scored one goal more than us (9-8). In my life had I been sitting through a quarterfinal knowing that we were going to win from the very first moment XD

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
The french were really disappointing last night, I had expected much much more from them. Spain played well though, much more defensively than offensively, in my opinion.

Tonight I'm with England all the way.

Years
The Spain vs France game was... really boring for me. One powerful header and that was the only interesting thing.

Come on England tonight, though.​

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
France lost that game starting Malouda ahead of Nasri (and the other host of changes, too). They really need to sort their act out, especially Benzema, I don't think I saw him move out of a casual jog all tournament.

Years
The Spain vs France game was... really boring for me. One powerful header and that was the only interesting thing.

Come on England tonight, though.​

I agree. An uneventful game complimented a boring 'tiki-taka' display with no efforts in actually creating a decent chance from Spain and a defensive game from France pretty sums up a fairly uninteresting quarter final. I hope England vs Italy will be more interesting, although it's between two 'defensive' teams. England so far hasn't really showed good football -- maybe only in Sweden's match -- but I expect them to edge this game.

Mentalii

Back
Years
I knew France would lost, against Spain, we had no chance. I hope we'll have a good team again, one day maybe... The match of yesterday was, as everybody said, disappointing.
So, now I'm gonna support England and Spain. Today's match will be interesting.

Years
France also disappointed me last night. I think I might have overrated them coming into this tournament, their squad is surprisingly weak.

Looking forward to the England match. I think Italy are slightly more likely to win, but I'm predicting penalties.

Years
COME ON ENGLAND!
We have a chance, but I just hope they don't break out hearts. If England play as they did in the last match, then we are in trouble.​

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
I'm having terrible flashbacks of Chelsea v Bayern Munich right now. Idk how to feel - if we lose here, we're out of the Euros but if we win we're moving forward the same way that Chelsea won the Champions. MAJOR MORAL CONFLICT.

edit: nvm

Last edited:
Years
Well I said it would go to penalties. :P

I'm not too disappointed because I expected us to go out in the group stages. We can finally watch the rest of the tournament without 'England this, England that, no other teams exist'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back