• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Game Difficulty

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
A lot of people would argue that the games are easy, while others would argue that they are rather challenging. B2/W2 brought us some new tools: Easy and Challenge modes, to make the game easier or harder, respectively. Would you like to see these options brought back? Would you like the standard difficulty of the game to be harder/easier? Discuss!

I would just like to have the options for Easy and Challenge modes right from the beginning instead of having to unlock them, so I can play through the game at whatever difficulty I would like to. I mean, I would STILL probably play through normally first, but the option would be nice. In general I find Pokémon games to be in the middle of the road for difficulty, but I would just like the variety to be present!

Lunar Crescent

I choose you pikachu!
Years
I would like them to have more difficulties like B2/W2 had, that was great and the only improvement i could see with that is having the option to unlock it at the start of the game, not after finishing it.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
If they'd give you the option of choosing the difficulty from the start, it'd be great. I didn't like that I had to beat the game first to unlock one mode, and then had to link with another person with the opposite game to get the other mode. I want a simple "Choose Your Difficulty" option from the get-go.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
I think I've said this before, but, from the beginning, yes, I'd prefer a Easy, Normal, Hard, and Expert setting too, because y'know, I find pokemon games to be incredibly easy nowadays, even if it's in a generation with a set of new pokemon I haven't seen before; usually all I'd do is read them in the pokedex and come up with future strategies. ;_: Plus, the computer's AI of switching in pokemon after one of theirs is KO'd, kind of makes it obvious that they would send in a pokemon that counters mine. I kind of want a challenge mode that is beyond hard mode too, y'know? I mean, in B2W2, +5 levels and a higher AI... it still seemed a tad too easy. I'd like the AI to be even higher, with more levels (maybe like... 8 or 10 more?) With better items, better pokemon, etc. etc.

IWearHatsIndoors

They're comfy and easy to wear
Years
I think having a difficulty setting at the start of the game would be an awesome thing for most players but for me I don't think it would effect much. I consider myself a somewhat casual gamer and while I tried to complete B2/W2 on challenge mode... I found myself switching back to normal difficulty because I really disliked slowly grinding to get my Pokemon to a semi-competitive level against the trainers I was against. Making the trainers harder was nice though, but I really don't enjoy fighting considerably lower level Pokemon which give next to no exp to make it even.

However that's just me being selfish. I'm sure that the majority of the people on this forum would love a difficulty setting at the start, but I'm fine with whatever and would probably pick normal difficulty.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
I really enjoyed challenge mode in Black & White 2 so to have something similar carried over would be excellent.

Sirfetch’d

I agree that we should be able to change the difficulty from the beginning. While I personally think that the games are getting more difficult I still want more of a challenge.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
There really isn't a point of giving Pokemon a difficulty setting at all, because its difficulty curve depends on the Pokemon you're using, which is why the feature used in BW2 is pointless, since a lot of post-game material such as battle facilities are suppose to be hard mode. Extra Creditz has provided a good example on why Pokemon doesn't need to be harder than it is.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Hard mode in B2/W2 was still too easy, what I really want is for the AI to get smarter, come up with an actual strategy, only then will it be a proper challenge. :\

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Give me Easy, Normal Hard, and hell even go the extra mile and give us a hyper-real mode. I would love if they give us a difficulty that enforces rules upon the gyms, gives them closing times and what not, and perhaps even trainer battles in the routes that you would need to battle at an exact time or else you forfeit the battle. I just see Pokemon as the one game that can gain something from a difficulty setting that enforces a stricter discipline model.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I would like an Easy, Normal, Hard and Expert difficulty as well. I think for older players, it is just way to easy now for us. On expert, the Pokémon's levels don't even have to be any higher, they could just have better movesets and items. Also higher AI across the board.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Kind of wanting just a middle ground. Easy's great, and hard's hard but I think if it's middle ground then generally it's not going to involve it being too easy to grind for, or too hard to train for ;_; Also keys were dumb let's unlock from the start as said. n_n

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Suggested difficulty levels: Easy, Normal, Hard, Chzllenging, and "Don't Select This, You Won't Finish The Game".

Cyclone

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
I'd love to see them all available from the start. Frankly the thought having to unlock easy mode by playing a more difficult mode is one of the silliest things I've heard in a while, almost as silly have having the two modes exclusive to one version of the game.

I wanna play hard mode, but I have W2. That means I gotta go buy B2, Play it again in normal mode, and then unlock hard mode to be imported to W2. By then, I'm sure I'll still wanna give it a try, but not as much as if I had just been able to play hard mode from the start

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I'd love to see them all available from the start. Frankly the thought having to unlock easy mode by playing a more difficult mode is one of the silliest things I've heard in a while, almost as silly have having the two modes exclusive to one version of the game.

I wanna play hard mode, but I have W2. That means I gotta go buy B2, Play it again in normal mode, and then unlock hard mode to be imported to W2. By then, I'm sure I'll still wanna give it a try, but not as much as if I had just been able to play hard mode from the start
I agree it's silly to unlock an easier mode of play.

Meanwhile, having hard mode available from the start would have been nice. I mean, question: are we going to lose all of our existing Pokémon if we start a Hard Mode game? I don't really wanna do that, so Hard Mode doesn't benefit me any at this stage.

Cyclone

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I agree it's silly to unlock an easier mode of play.

Meanwhile, having hard mode available from the start would have been nice. I mean, question: are we going to lose all of our existing Pokémon if we start a Hard Mode game? I don't really wanna do that, so Hard Mode doesn't benefit me any at this stage.

Cyclone

That brings up an interesting point in itself: Would having a save file for each difficulty level be a plausible thing? But that strays away from the main point of the thread =P

General consensus seems to be have them available from the start, which I definitely agree with. I understand using them as incentive to play through the games, but it's be a nice addition just to have them.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Hard mode in B2/W2 was still too easy, what I really want is for the AI to get smarter, come up with an actual strategy, only then will it be a proper challenge. :\
Actually, the AI levels in B2W2 do increase when playing under Challenge Mode. If they increased it just a bit more, however, I wouldn't complain. Also, giving the Pokémon of more prominent NPC's 31 IVs all around like they did with Cynthia would be a nice increase in challenge as well.

That brings up an interesting point in itself: Would having a save file for each difficulty level be a plausible thing? But that strays away from the main point of the thread =P
I wouldn't call it plausible as much as I would call it unnecessary.

Taking the majority's side here, I would also like for level of difficulty to be an option given at the start of the game rather than something that's unlocked near the end. While it may give one the incentive to play again, it's rather silly to ask a player to do. Especially in the case of White 2 where they give you an Easy Mode instead. Like, who wants to do that?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Taking the majority's side here, I would also like for level of difficulty to be an option given at the start of the game rather than something that's unlocked near the end. While it may give one the incentive to play again, it's rather silly to ask a player to do. Especially in the case of White 2 where they give you an Easy Mode instead. Like, who wants to do that?
Agreed. I understand wanting to promote local wifi connection stuff, but it's not good for those people who don't have it available and stuff like level difficulty should really just be an option from the get-go.

I would like for a multiple-save file deal but I don't see it happening.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Seriously guys, have you not payed attention to my post? There really isn't a need for a difficulty setting in a Pokemon game at all; that's why we have post-game material, and that's why Nuzlocke Challenges exist. It's meant to be a simple game for everyone of all ages. Extra Creditz has provided a better explanation about why the difficulty setting in BW2 was unnecessary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWFzFsHc75U&list=UUCODtTcd5M1JavPCOr_Uydg&index=114

Pokemon X and Y shouldn't be blindly regarded as bad just because of the lack of a difficulty setting. It's like complaining about the Gamecube lack of backwards compatibility with NES games.

Back