• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] What Kind of Starter Kit Would You Like to See?

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2023
Pokemon Essentials is a huge hack, people use it because it's the only available option. You need to use external tools made by Maruno and co. because RMXP doesn't have proper support for these features. A new dedicated and full featured solution is what's needed. I am working on Pokesharp right now and although I'm not completely certain I won't abandon it, I feel good about it so far.

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
ZnAYk8F.gif

Coming soon =D

tImE

It's still me, 44tim44 ;)
Years
Holy mother of sweet Jesus, that looks absolutely amazing!

What language is this written in?
And is there a mapping tool for it, or do you make the maps with 3D modelers?

BonzaiRob

3dPE Benevolent Dictator
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 6, 2024
Holy mother of sweet Jesus, that looks absolutely amazing!

What language is this written in?
And is there a mapping tool for it, or do you make the maps with 3D modelers?

eEMfmbP.gif

Python and OpenGL. More details soon - it's not quite ready for public consumption, and a final version is a long way off.

(Also ignore the upside-down point sprites :/)

Years
  • Seen Sep 19, 2015
Make it compatible with sketchup, and amazing things could be done.

Years
i would like an Pokemon Mystery Dungeon kit the most, since Essentials pretty much already has everything (except new Graphics) you need to make your own Pokemon game

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 25, 2014
After working with Unity 3D for quite some time I have some information to share with the community. First off for a Pokemon styled game you DO NOT NEED THE PRO version of Unity. You can use the free version (no trial, never expires) to do everything you want. I've done a lot of experimenting by replicating various Pokemon systems using both Javascript and C#. Let me tell you, it's actually EASIER than using RPG maker due to the many possibilities to do something. You aren't stuck in a linear path.

There are many features in Unity that just make what was hard in RPG maker stupid easy. One example is sprite sheets. In RPG maker everything had to be precisely formatted for it to work. In Unity there is a "auto cut" tool that takes a sprite and puts it in the animated order!

That and the mapping is significantly easier. You can scale any size of "texture" on the fly. No need to open up GIMP or Photoshop to do the tedious things required in RPG Maker.

The last thing I like to say is the fundamentals of classes make scripting way easier. I can't really explain why, it just works better for this type of thing.

P.S Documentation and Video tutorials on for Unity are in HIGH Quality.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
I think everyone makes good points on this thread. While a new engine would totally be awesome, I think we shouldn't take for granted what we already have, which is Essentials. Essentials has been in development for years now and it still isn't complete. Something even more complex is going to take even longer, unless a really dedicated team shows up. It is all down to the motivation of the developers. If the developers have the motivation and drive to finish everything Essentials needs, or start a new starter kit, then they can get it done. If they have no motivation, then it will never happen.

Back