• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

(All Games) Type Weakness/Strength Changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
Ever wanted to change the weaknesses and strengths of what types do? (For example, When water attacks fire, it's super effective, this tutorial will teach you how to make it so when Water attacks fire, it isn't very effective or deals no damage at all, and way beyond).

Step 1: Load up a Pokemon ROM
Step 2: Go to the address based on which rom you loaded up

Red and Blue: 3E474
Yellow: 3E62D
Gold and Silver: 34D01
Crystal: 34BB1

Ruby: 1F9720
Sapphire: 1F96B0
Emerald: 31ACE8
Fire Red: 24F050
Leaf Green: 24F02C
Diamond: 1DE1B8

For Red/Blue/Yellow:
(All Values are hex)
00 = Normal
01 = Fighting
02 = Flying
03 = Poison
04 = Ground
05 = Rock
06 = Bird
07 = Bug
08 = Ghost
09-13 = Blank
14 = Fire
15 = Water
16 = Grass
17 = Electric
18 = Psychic
19 = Ice
1A = Dragon

For Gold/Silver/Crystal
(All Values are hex)
00 = Normal
01 = Fighting
02 = Flying
03 = Poison
04 = Ground
05 = Rock
06 = Bird
07 = Bug
08 = Ghost
09 = Steel
0A-12 = Blank
13 = ???
14 = Fire
15 = Water
16 = Grass
17 = Electric
18 = Psychic
19 = Ice
1A = Dragon
1B = Shadow

For Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Fire Red/Leaf Green/Diamond/Pearl:
(All Values are hex)
00 = Normal
01 = Fighting
02 = Flying
03 = Poison
04 = Ground
05 = Rock
06 = Bug
07 = Ghost
08 = Steel
09 = ???
0A = Fire
0B = Water
0C = Grass
0D = Electric
0E = Psychic
0F = Ice
10 = Dragon
11 = Dark

Step 2: regardless of your version, you will see three bytes, 00 05 05. The first byte is the one attack, so we have the Normal Type attacking.

The second value is the type being attacked. So 05 = Rock, we have Normal attacking Rock.

The final byte is the damage multiplier. The 05 stands for *.5
damage. So the game reads this, and when a Normal Pokemon attacks a Rock Pokemon, half of the normal damage is done. You will see that all are either 05, 14 (in dec is 20, so its *2), and 00 (which is *0 which makes the attack never hit, this is used for Ground Vs. flying and others). Right after that is another strength/weakness definition, and keeps going on until a FF. However, you can mix it up a bit!

Step 3: Changing
Lets say you want it so when a Flying Pokemon attacks a Poison Pokemon, it does *2 the damage. Overwrite the bytes with 02 03 14, and it will take effect. You can even do as low as *0.10 (which would be 01), and as high as *25.40 the damage (Which would be FE). That is murder!

So have some fun, make some new types if you want, or just balance out the system.

Last edited:

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Wow. I never would find myself trying this, but you are a genius. Now those who want to make fakemon with different types have their work cut out!

Coolboyman

Veteran Hacker
Years
I made a very simple sample of what can be done with this. I successfully added Dark and Steel types in Pokemon Red! Although Magnemite/Magneton is the only Steel Pokemon, and the move "Bite" is the only Dark attack, it's still useful. All the strengths/weaknesses are included (obviously). Just patch to a clean Red ROM and you're good to go!

>Bent<

awhups
Years
Nice. I was thinking of looking for that, but my hypothesis (which was completely wrong :() was that weakness/resistance was set by four bitflags. At least I didn't spend any time looking for that.

Heh, maybe I'll mess around with the Bird type now.

Hmm, I just checked in Crystal. The list is FF-terminated (not surprising). But for some reason, there's an arbitrary FE in there.

These are the last few values in the list:
09 09 05
fe
00 08 00
01 08 00
ff

I have no idea why that FE would be in there. Wouldn't it mess up the last two items? Unless the list is pointer-based, which I don't believe it would be (or we wouldn't be able to simply add things to the list).

Years
If you repoint the weaknesses and strengths to free space, can you add more type advantages and disadvantages at the end?

>Bent<

awhups
Years
I was just looking around in Yellow, and the type list there doesn't start at 3E62D. It begins a bit earlier, starting with the string 040200 ("Ground x0 to Flying").

GARGLE!

Dopeymon Master
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 24, 2013
Hmm, I just checked in Crystal. The list is FF-terminated (not surprising). But for some reason, there's an arbitrary FE in there.

These are the last few values in the list:
09 09 05
fe
00 08 00
01 08 00
ff

The ones after the FE are Normal and Fighting vs. Ghost.

So I'm guessing the FE is a marker for where the immunities canceled out by Foresight are listed; Foresight makes Normal and Fighting able to hit Ghost types, but doesn't affect any other immunities at all.

>Bent<

awhups
Years
The ones after the FE are Normal and Fighting vs. Ghost.

So I'm guessing the FE is a marker for where the immunities canceled out by Foresight are listed; Foresight makes Normal and Fighting able to hit Ghost types, but doesn't affect any other immunities at all.
That's an excellent observation; I'll go test that.

EDIT: Gargle's absolutely right. If you want a type weakness/resistance to be set to x1 when using Foresight, put it behind the $FE.

Last edited:

lookoutapiano

Banned
Years
I was wondering if I could ask a question regarding this tutorial? I managed to locate the bytes and recognise them,(02 01 14, flying X2 damage to fighting etc...) but I wondered how exactly it is possible to add a new type to the game? If you need to edit a old type in order to do this editing 09(???) would be a good choice as you wouldn't lose any of the others but I couldn't see any data regarding types attacking 09, or visa versa. Am just not looking hard enough or is the process of adding new types much more complicated? Sorry if this question sounds dumb, I'm not familiar with hex editing, but sounds fun to learn. I was also wondering what would mean x1 damage? I am hacking Ruby version by the way.

Years
wat would i put for 4x
i put in 28 and somethin comes in the box tht shows text i get a (
Any1 know if this will cause a problem
is the adress code for pearl the same cuz u didn't post it?

Last edited:

Hat?

Banned
Years
  • Seen Dec 11, 2008
Right, sorry, I don't know too much about all the glitches.

timmy112

Learning to Hack
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
Repointing

If you repoint the weaknesses and strengths to free space, can you add more type advantages and disadvantages at the end?

How do you repoint the weaknesses and strengths to free space?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
How do you repoint the weaknesses and strengths to free space?
You would repoint this like you'd repoint anything: find free space and copy the existing strengths and weaknesses to it, and then change the old pointer to point to the new location.

timmy112

Learning to Hack
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2016
Pointer change

How do I change the old pointer to the new location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back