• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

TK's Version: Poke Special DP (Ideas Needed! Well, not needed, wanted. Eh..)

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Poke Special Manga: DP Discussion Board

Discuss my fic, Poke Special Manga, here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
There's no need for you to ask what Pokemon your characters should catch on their journey. Have them catch whatever you want them to catch (within reason). I wouldn't go so far to have them catch all the legendaries, but if you want to give your character an Eevee, give him one.

Look at your plot (if you have one) to see what Pokemon your character should catch. If one fulfills a certain role needed in the plot, place it in.

Really, the best answer is that it's your story, and the decision is up to you.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Since you're taking a tone from the DP manga, you could also consider to take a careful look at what Pokemon the DP characters have for ideas, but otherwise, I'd listen to Hanako's advice.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
There's no need for you to ask what Pokemon your characters should catch on their journey. Have them catch whatever you want them to catch (within reason). I wouldn't go so far to have them catch all the legendaries, but if you want to give your character an Eevee, give him one.

Look at your plot (if you have one) to see what Pokemon your character should catch. If one fulfills a certain role needed in the plot, place it in.

Really, the best answer is that it's your story, and the decision is up to you.

Good point. I'm not a big fan of giving my characters Eevee, however, with the addition of new eeveelutions, I'll have to consider that. Catching a legendary is a no-no for me. I don't even catch legendaries in games :).

Yes I have a plot, in case you're wondering :).

Since you're taking a tone from the DP manga, you could also consider to take a careful look at what Pokemon the DP characters have for ideas, but otherwise, I'd listen to Hanako's advice.

The Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Damion catch will be different from the ones Diamond, Pearl, and Lady Berlitz catch. In my fic, they each have different starters. For example, my Diamond has started with Piplup.

----

I think I've come to a decision that I will have the main characters catch Pokemon who are able to use a certain HM, similar to RGB saga.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out!

~TK

Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2011
Okay, but just a word of advice - don't have them catch 6 Pokemon for the sake of having a full deck. I recommend around 3 or 4 for them all to have a lot of time to grow in the story. :)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Actually, that depends on the writer. I love having my main character have a full team of six Pokemon. I make sure each has a rough personality that comes out more through the actual narration. Plus, I make sure to take the time to write about each Pokemon so that none are neglected.

You just need to take the time to develop personalities. One of my favorite fantasy book series has a team of eight friends traveling around. Each one has a different and developed personality. If the writer takes the time out of the action to allow the reader to get into the character's head, there's no reason why they can't write about more than just one or two characters.

But really, it does depend on the writer. Some writers have difficulties letting two Pokemon have a personality. Some do well with a handful of characters. It's up to the author to decide what their limitations are.

Besides, there's also the practical reasons for having a full team of six Pokemon in the Pokemon world. I mean, if your character is heading off to the League, it would be good to have a (diverse) team of six Pokemon, so that they are prepared for any challenge. (Not to mention that most Leagues have full six-on-six battles.)

Also, there is the matter of the plot. If plot says that your character needs a full team, then so be it. (In my own story, it's required by law.) No need to sell yourself and your story short by lessening the amount of Pokemon on a team.

In summary: It's up to the author to decide how many characters they can write about.

Years
  • Age 30
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 26, 2011
I agree Hanako, but I mean not to have six, and only develop the personalities of two of them. If you're going to use six, they try and do it right. :)

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
For the record, Diamond most likely will have 5 to 6 Pokemon. I think it is essential to have Pokemon have their own personalities too.

I'm also thinking about switching the main character after each volume. Right now, the main charactcer is Diamond. In the next volume, it wil focus on Pearl. However, Damion most likely won't have a separate volume. I'm considering it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I agree Hanako, but I mean not to have six, and only develop the personalities of two of them. If you're going to use six, they try and do it right. :)
Yeah, I figured that's what you were getting at. I wasn't trying to imply that you were limiting all writers to only three or four. We just kind of said the same thing. ^^

That was all I was saying. I mean, if you do have six, but only focus on one, that's not good. Only use six if you can deal with six.

Ah, and TurtleKing, it's fine if you want to switch characters. It would be refreshing to the readers to see the adventures from a new set of eyes.

Last edited:
Back