• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Professor Sycamore

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
So our regional professor has been revealed to us. What are your thoughts about this character and which types of roles do you think they'll play in the game? Like how will they give us our Pokemon is at all? He will also battle us at times during the game which is definitely a first for regional professors!

Sycamore-Pokemon-X-and_Y.jpg

Last edited:

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
As a lot of people have mentioned, he looks relatively younger than all the previous Professors. Perhaps he was a trainer and did competitive battling before deciding to go the route of being some sort of scientist or professor, thus the idea that we get to battle him from time to time.

I like his design, definitely has that look of a 'messy genius' sort of character.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
It seems experiment with female professor did not work after all...
I would like to see new female professor... it would be interesting...

He seems to be Birch clone if you ask me...
Wonder how he's gonna be handled.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Platane! What a cutie oh my. Love his design and the fact that he apparently battles you occasionally. I said something about his name in the other thread-
My main focus was on the professor though haha. He's a cutie. Pretty young, too. Bulba gave his name as Plantae, so I looked that up and found some related European cultural history. I wonder if he's going to have a focus on medicine, considering that?
So yeah. A Pokémon Doctor? Might fit with the apparent life/death themes going on round these games. And if they were to change his name for English release, he's def Sycamore.

Also did I mention he's really cute? Competing with Birch already in my mind. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

I'm not too fussed about not having a female professor tbh. I'd prefer a male prof and 5+ out of 8 gym leaders being female, plus a 50/50 E4.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
At least he's young looking, not another old man xD. Also him battling the player brings to mind how Oak was suppose to battle the player in RG but that part was cut out of the final versions, and wasn't even added in later unlike the female character in the remakes.
By the way has it been confirmed he's from the player's new home town? or is he like Rowan, from a neighboring town/city?

I think GF should give him a mom who is also a professor in order to make up for having Juniper share the spotlight with her father.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Platane! What a cutie oh my. Love his design and the fact that he apparently battles you occasionally. I said something about his name in the other thread-

So yeah. A Pokémon Doctor? Might fit with the apparent life/death themes going on round these games. And if they were to change his name for English release, he's def Sycamore.

Also did I mention he's really cute? Competing with Birch already in my mind. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~

I'm not too fussed about not having a female professor tbh. I'd prefer a male prof and 5+ out of 8 gym leaders being female, plus a 50/50 E4.

This is the most likely name for him. I did look it up and Sycamore trees are also sometimes called "Buttonwood" trees, which almost sounds like a real name, but I don't see that happening, as it would be impossible to take him seriously.

Personally, I'm hoping that they'll do something more along the lines of a rookie professor. Perhaps one of the other professor's aides has finally decided to start working on their own, or something similar.

Moist

other in a month When you,
Years
Wasn't the English name from the rumors Patrice?

He looks more of a Patrice than Sycamore to me.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Maybe, but Patrice doesn't follow the tree-naming convention that seems to still be in place. I suggest Sycamore for the English simply because
Wikipedia said:
They are often known in English as planes or plane trees. Some North American species are called sycamores (especially Platanus occidentalis), although that term also refers to either the fig Ficus sycomorus, the plant originally so named, or the Great, or Sycamore Maple, Acer pseudoplatanus.
[x]

And because Sycamore is more well-known as a type of tree than the French for 'plane trees'. (Platane, you know.)

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
He kind of looks somewhere a little bit older than Professor Elm, but definitely younger than Rowan/Oak, and maybe around the same age as Birch? Either way, Platane is an awesome name, and aesthetically I love him. Maybe based on his age he's a bit experience, but still learning along the way with the protagonist? I do like the potential medicine focus as well, seeing as that's an entirely new angle than we've had in the past.

tnfsf11

He looks messy & young indeed, yet cuter than the other professors :P
I would like there to be a post-E4 sidequest in which you become the prof's aide & actually do research stuff on the field for him instead of just completing the dex, & maybe he'll jump in & help!

Raichupacabra

Villain
Years
Sycamore was confirmed and he definitely seems younger than most professors. He probably focuses on the strength of Pokemon (I'm not sure if another prof. does this) since he battles you throughout the game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
He is very handsome xD My favorite professor so far. I'm glad you can battle him and chat with him through the hologram system. He seems friendly; I'm more interested in what kind of team he'll have.

The official website said you'll meet him in Lumiose City. So I guess he won't give you your starter Pokémon directly. That will definitely be interesting.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
It would be awesome if we were able to battle him, instead of just rating our pokedex he also rates our battle skills

He does battle you during the game. :P
And that may be what the battles are for, like a typical rival, just to see how good you've become.

and nice job EternallyAnna on the Sycamore prediction! I thought it would stay as Platane, but looking at your research, I completely understand it.

Wouldn't it be a crazy twist if he turned out to be the leader of Team Flare? I wish there was a game where the professor is actually the leader of the evil team. What a twist that would be. xD

tnfsf11

Wouldn't it be a crazy twist if he turned out to be the leader of Team Flare? I wish there was a game where the professor is actually the leader of the evil team. What a twist that would be. xD
Exactly the kind of thing that would fit in a game like Pokémon yet GF won't do it because their target audience is still *sigh* youngsters. -_-
Would love it to happen though, or just one of the rivals being from Team Flare instead.

Austin1395

Dark-type Trainer
Years
You don't honestly understand how happy I am that the Professor actually does something this time other than give you the starter and tell you how many Pokemon you have seen and caught when you can do that on your own. Honestly it seems like almost all of character interactions are getting a boost. It seems like we will have closer relationships with our friends/rivals, the Professor will actually mean something this time around, I'm very excited!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I think the professor should at least be the Champion. It's a twist I've been waiting for for many years. Considering he battles the player he's the best person for the position compared to past professors.

Back