• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Hilbert and Hilda?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
So as most of you know, Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 carry a high chance of being actual sequels to Black and White, as opposed to just rehashed versions. This makes it equally as likely that we'll be getting brand new protagonists. So what does this mean for Hilbert and Hilda, the protagonists of the original Gen V games?

Most of you will recall the return of Red (the protagonist of RBGY/FRLG) in the GSC/HGSS games, serving as the game's final challenge. I personally think it would be great to bring back Hilbert or Hilda (or both) to serve as the final challenge in B2/W2 in the same fashion as Red did.

Anybody else think this would be a great idea, or would you rather them just have a short cameo? Maybe one of them could star as the Unova Champion?

So yeah, I just thought we could do with a thread to speculate Hilbert's or Hilda's roles in the new games, if any.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I supposed they could have either of them play a role whether champ or cameo role in whatever fashion depending upon the player you chose. If this is a sequel though one of the two would already be the Champ, and I don't really see the game starting you out on top and working through gyms again unless they change up the concept of the 8 badges, elite four, evil team, etc line. They did away with Kris as the female protagonist for Johto in place of Lyra. So I wouldn't rule a sequel of all things doing the same to these two.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I would like them as non-battling cameos at most. Red irritated me to no end because he was Game Freak's way of saying, "Your accomplishments in R/B/Y/FR/LG meant NOTHING. This is the character who broke up Team Rocket and became champion, deal with it." In other words, assigning an arbitrary trainer with an arbitrary team and calling it "our" character from a prior game when the odds are you had a different team and character name.

I don't want the same mistake made in B2/W2. Please, if they want to have them show up, fine, but don't force a random team down the throats of players and force them to accept that this is "their" character from the previous game.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023
errr Red in G/S/C isn't just random team. GF did not just went and said "right lets just give him random Charizard. You must remember pokemon has no way of detecting your team from previous games. All of his teams are "event" pokemon that are given from NPCs or one you are forced to encounter ( note forced because legendaries are not forced enounter in R/B/Y) from previous games

Pikachu,Venusaur,Charizard,Blastoise: all starter given by prof Oak.( since it was a one of these choices GF went smart way and gave him this
Snorlax: forced encounter in Route 12 or 16

Lapras/Espeon( Evee): given by NPC

I actually think if Hilda/Hilbert made only Camo and not battle, I'd say it's a wast of apperance. Red in G/S/C is badass and It would be nice to see another fomer player charecter to take status of Red for once!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Not gonna get in some heated debate about this but ...

.You must remember pokemon has no way of detecting your team from previous games.
Only true for GSC. By 3rd generation you could. Recall R/S and the Secret Base system where you could mix records and put another player's Secret Base in your game, complete with the team they had at the time. Surely by HG/SS the dual slot could have been used to read your FR/LG cart if you so chose. Maybe keep Red as the default if you didn't. But that was left as untapped potential. And it was needed even more in HG/SS because you now had the gender of your character thrown into the variables.

Event Pokemon or not, I don't appreciate having a game company shove a team I didn't train down my throat and force me to accept them as my own. And therein lies the danger of recycling previous player characters in the first place. The developers don't know who your actual team was, so they have to make a guess. Aren't folks just a little annoyed that this renders your play of the past games obsolete?

Perhaps I should have been clearer. If B2/W2 do happen to implement a system to read your B/W copy for their party team as champion (and got rid of Hilda's godawful short shorts), I wouldn't mind it at all since it would actually be "your" team in that case. (And of course have a GF-picked default if you don't have it read B/W.) But based on GF's recent laziness (not using the Dual Slot in HG/SS, not even giving us a freaking Vs. Seeker in B/W) I worry that they won't implement such a feature and will instead go with "Red 2.0." for Hilbert /Hilda.

And off topic, but how exactly is a trainer who has an unevolved Pokemon and a speech impediment, "badass?"

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 13, 2013
Hilbert could appear in Black 2 having Reshiram, Hilda in White 2 having Zekrom. They could team up with player in double battle against Team Plasma at some point of storyline.

And off topic, but how exactly is a trainer who has an unevolved Pokemon and a speech impediment, "badass?"

Red has the highest leveled Pokemon than every trainer in all games (not counting Battle Frontier trainers), is the only no-league trainer to have champion battle theme and is able to be challenged at peak of Mt.Silver, which is based on Mt.Fuji - the highest mountain in Japan. Isn't all that badass?

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
Years
I would like them as non-battling cameos at most. Red irritated me to no end because he was Game Freak's way of saying, "Your accomplishments in R/B/Y/FR/LG meant NOTHING. This is the character who broke up Team Rocket and became champion, deal with it." In other words, assigning an arbitrary trainer with an arbitrary team and calling it "our" character from a prior game when the odds are you had a different team and character name.

I don't want the same mistake made in B2/W2. Please, if they want to have them show up, fine, but don't force a random team down the throats of players and force them to accept that this is "their" character from the previous game.
I wouldn't go as far as to say they "forced a random team down the throats of players and forced them to accept "their" character". Red was a nice addition as a final opponent and I didn't at all mind that it wasn't the same Red I played as on R/B/Y/FR/LG (which would be impossible anyway since Game Freak can't match the team of every person who ever played the game). He was just a cool challenge to end the game with.

If Hilbert or Hilda were to have a team based on event Pokemon (like Red), I'd guess it'd be something along the lines of:

Serperior/Emboar/Samurott (depending on your starter?)
Simisage/Simisear/Simipour (depending on your starter?)
Carracosta/Archeops
Zoroark
Volcarona
Reshiram/Zekrom

I personally wouldn't mind if they had a team like this one.

pokemonkidtotodile

Pkmn connoisseur
Years
  • Age 29
  • U.S
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
Although it would be very cool if gamefreak came up with a way for us to battle the hero from our own copy of black and white, I highly doubt that they will.
And I thought red was a great addition to G/S/C and I think they did the best they could in creating his team by using popular Pokemon used by players in R/B/Y.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
(which would be impossible anyway since Game Freak can't match the team of every person who ever played the game).
Although it would be very cool if gamefreak came up with a way for us to battle the hero from our own copy of black and white, I highly doubt that they will.
Thanks for reading my second post, guys.
Only true for GSC. By 3rd generation you could. Recall R/S and the Secret Base system where you could mix records and put another player's Secret Base in your game, complete with the team they had at the time.
It IS possible, just a matter of GF implementing the "record mixing" feature from R/S/E into the newer games.

Red has the highest leveled Pokemon than every trainer in all games (not counting Battle Frontier trainers), is the only no-league trainer to have champion battle theme and is able to be challenged at peak of Mt.Silver, which is based on Mt.Fuji - the highest mountain in Japan. Isn't all that badass?
No, not really. Those things hardly make up for his sheer incompetence as a trainer. And I certainly didn't view him as a "nice addition", or anything remotely close to a "challenge."

Well, at least that proposed team for Hilbert/Hilda doesn't include any especially weak Pokemon, though there is the potential for three Fire-types on the team.

I do apologize for being so vocal about this issue, but I used to write fan fiction, having done both a main story and a sequel. One thing I was told when writing my sequel was to keep things consistent between the two stories, so it's recognized as such - a sequel. The same principle should be applied to movies, books, TV series, videogames, etc. In regards to this, Game Freak really dropped the ball with Red, and while it wouldn't be as egregious with Hilbert/Hilda (assuming there's some way to pick which of the two appears instead of "one gender fits all"), I would still feel some disconnect between B/W and B2/W2 if the team "my" character wielded wasn't my own.

Bottom line, I feel it would be much cooler to face your actual character from B/W (and FR/LG for that matter), with your character's name, your character's gender, and your character's team. And the ability to do so has been in place for some time now. Of course, there should be a default Hilbert/Hilda for those who can't or choose not to transfer their B/W data, but leave an option for those who truly want the games to feel like a sequel.

IDK... In my game scenario I had written up for the recent PC contest, I had Hilbert/Hilda be a supporting/double battle team-up character, but if they gave us the ability to transfer over our B/W game data, I guess maybe I could see them as champion. Just please, as I said, no more short shorts!

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I would like to agree with LeSabre in the fact that it would be awesome to battle your old characters, but I don't see that possible for main game story line. Maybe in a place like the Battle Subway or the Battle Institute in Nimbasa.

I honestly don't see Hilbert/Hilda making a comeback as a major role or even a slight one. I figure they'd have left for another region to continue training and Cheren would become the Trainer to beat. Or even Alder as the super special Trainer to beat after game.

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2023

Thanks for reading my second post, guys.

It IS possible, just a matter of GF implementing the "record mixing" feature from R/S/E into the newer games.

No, not really. Those things hardly make up for his sheer incompetence as a trainer. And I certainly didn't view him as a "nice addition", or anything remotely close to a "challenge."

Well, at least that proposed team for Hilbert/Hilda doesn't include any especially weak Pokemon, though there is the potential for three Fire-types on the team.

I do apologize for being so vocal about this issue, but I used to write fan fiction, having done both a main story and a sequel. One thing I was told when writing my sequel was to keep things consistent between the two stories, so it's recognized as such - a sequel. The same principle should be applied to movies, books, TV series, videogames, etc. In regards to this, Game Freak really dropped the ball with Red, and while it wouldn't be as egregious with Hilbert/Hilda (assuming there's some way to pick which of the two appears instead of "one gender fits all"), I would still feel some disconnect between B/W and B2/W2 if the team "my" character wielded wasn't my own.

Bottom line, I feel it would be much cooler to face your actual character from B/W (and FR/LG for that matter), with your character's name, your character's gender, and your character's team. And the ability to do so has been in place for some time now. Of course, there should be a default Hilbert/Hilda for those who can't or choose not to transfer their B/W data, but leave an option for those who truly want the games to feel like a sequel.

IDK... In my game scenario I had written up for the recent PC contest, I had Hilbert/Hilda be a supporting/double battle team-up character, but if they gave us the ability to transfer over our B/W game data, I guess maybe I could see them as champion. Just please, as I said, no more short shorts!

You know as far as I know Pokemon has no way of transfering saved data to another game akin to mass effect series. I think this is what you are thinking and even with DS system you can't do it what makes you think we could with 3rd gen?

Joshawott

Banned
Years
I don't know why you seem to think that the games being sequels means we'll be getting new characters. If anything, I would expect third-entry games to get them. After all, if characters like N, Bianca, and Cheren are in the game, then I don't see why Hilbert/Hilda wouldn't be.

That being said, I don't think your idea is all that unlikely, and so if we do get new characters, I hope we'll get to battle Hilbert or Hilda. Perhaps even both in a double battle?

Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen May 24, 2014
I can see Hilbert/Hilda being the last generation of trainers i.e. the "Mom" or "Dad" role ... or maybe aunt or uncle or something. Sort of like Professor Oak; we heard about his legacy, but he wasn't a real character. I'm pretty sure they will be involved, though, because with the same Pokémon, those trainers don't just go away. I also think that the protagonist might battle them once or twice (as practice) because no trainer just retires. ;)

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Perhaps Hilbert/Hilda will become a major supporting characters. They'll play the role as Professor Juniper's assistant like in D/P or perhaps they'll be part of Team Plasma. I'd like to see this to be honest. But this probably won't happen... (I'd really like to see the player's counterpart as a part of Team Plasma.)

Years
I wish Hilbert or Hilda becomes the new champion, and you battle one of them depending on the chosen gender.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I want to see Hilbert/Hilda in their hometown where we originally started, Nuvema. To be perfectly honest, I don't see either one of them being the champion of Unova since the storyline ended in B/W with you still having to defeat Alder later on. Plus, like I've said in a different thread, Nuvema is just home to the protagonists and it's the most deserving spot for them to be in. If anything, they could explain to you past history of Team Plasma for nostalgia.

Years
My theory? They're frozen somewhere, or something similar. They can't get in the way of whatever's going on, so someone had to dispose of them somehow.

And then you eventually save them, help you SAVE TEH WURLD, and then later on you ca battle them.

Just my guess anyway

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I really don't want to see them as the champ, to be honest. Maybe a small cameo in their hometown, or in the main character's hometown after a certain point of the game, but for them to be a main plot character would be just...a little too predictable in the sense that it would feel like a really bad roleplay, tbh.
You know, like the ones were the main item of the story can grant any wish in the world and the hero wishes for world peace, or the main characters of the story come back and make a cameo in the sequel and train the new generation and pass on their legacy. Something like that would leave me highly disappointed.

Pkmn Trainer Touko

King N's Queen
Years
BLACK AND WHITE (not Hilbert and Hilda).

Yes, I think they'll have a role in BW2. They were heros! They had Reshiram/Zekrom depending on game, while N had the other.

At the end of the game Black/White helped Looker find the sages...which was such a random task...and it just kinda ended with that. I doubt they would quit aiding Unova.

It just wouldn't make sense for them to suddenly disappear....

Back