• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding New Overworlds into FireRed for Dummies

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
Umm, I have another problem, I succesfully inserted the same OW and did the same procedure as the tutorial (I edited as well and it was all fine) but after that when I opened my ROM an A-Map all the maps and tilesets where messed up, how can i fix this?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Umm, I have another problem, I succesfully inserted the same OW and did the same procedure as the tutorial (I edited as well and it was all fine) but after that when I opened my ROM an A-Map all the maps and tilesets where messed up, how can i fix this?

Go to a back-up. If your tilesets are screwed up, that means you corrupted something. I hope you only applied the patch to a clean rom.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
The tlilest gets corrupted right when I insert the offset for the new OW ( FFFF001102110002100020001001000010373A089C373A0870343A08A0003A08FC1C2308 in this case), I downloaded the ROM from the net, how do I make sure I have a clean Rom, the obvius way or is it something else?

karatekid552

Years
The tlilest gets corrupted right when I insert the offset for the new OW ( FFFF001102110002100020001001000010373A089C373A0870343A08A0003A08FC1C2308 in this case), I downloaded the ROM from the net, how do I make sure I have a clean Rom, the obvius way or is it something else?

The obvious would be that is a firered v1.0. That is a clean rom. Now, nothing should get corrupted when you insert that data as long as you put it in free space, as in where there are FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.

Kimonas

%string not found
Years
No progress,I did the same on two ROMs that were V.1 but I had the same results, I did put the data right over the FFFFFFFFFFs but still...

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I've successfully added several new OW sprites and I've been able to change the palette of each sprite by editing the 3rd byte of each offset on the new table starting at offset 910000. However, in game, when my hero enters the screen of any of these sprites, the palette of the hero is replaced by the palette of the OW sprite. When I warp, open up the bag, etc. the palette of the hero reverts back to it's correct palette. It occurs in the palette viewer of VBA as well. The first palette is replaced whenever I enter the screen of the OW sprite. It only happens with sprites on the new table. Does anyone know what is causing this?

karatekid552

Years
I've successfully added several new OW sprites and I've been able to change the palette of each sprite by editing the 3rd byte of each offset on the new table starting at offset 910000. However, in game, when my hero enters the screen of any of these sprites, the palette of the hero is replaced by the palette of the OW sprite. When I warp, open up the bag, etc. the palette of the hero reverts back to it's correct palette. It occurs in the palette viewer of VBA as well. The first palette is replaced whenever I enter the screen of the OW sprite. It only happens with sprites on the new table. Does anyone know what is causing this?

There is a thread on here about the unknown ow data bytes. The issue is that one of them controls palette slot. Go find that thread, and I'm pretty sure I posted some pretty detailed info in it on this subject.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
There is a thread on here about the unknown ow data bytes. The issue is that one of them controls palette slot. Go find that thread, and I'm pretty sure I posted some pretty detailed info in it on this subject.

I found the thread and you were right. It was the palette slot. Problem solved. Thanks so much.

Years
  • Age 31
  • no
  • Seen Apr 20, 2020
So hi! im kinda new here. i wanted to add more OWs. so i followed this TUT and manage to make 2 OWs which are working perfectly... but the problem is when i made a 3rd and 4th.

You see... the tiles/line i put in the 3rd sprite has some weird bug. I cant see the OWs and they make the player sprite UNDER the said tiles/line. when i move outside of that line, i can see the player sprite as if nothings wrong.

thanks in advance!

EDIT: i wish i could provide you with screenies but the forum wont let me post links. so new here. haha

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Is there any way to implement this with Emerald? obviously we don't have the engine but man thats a lot of OWs ... lol. id pay for something like that. anyways just trying to see if its even possible to do such a thing in emerald before i start looking into it

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
Is there any way to implement this with Emerald? obviously we don't have the engine but man thats a lot of OWs ... lol. id pay for something like that. anyways just trying to see if its even possible to do such a thing in emerald before i start looking into it

Not sure with overworlds, I know all JPAN did for his palette table is repoint and expand it, I'm guessing that the pointer to the table of pointers (the table that points to the 255 tables of 255 sprites) was already implemented? not sure.

Edit: Sorry, he edited the routines for a filler byte. However download his hack and read the source code! I assume it could be portable.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Not sure with overworlds, I know all JPAN did for his palette table is repoint and expand it, I'm guessing that the pointer to the table of pointers (the table that points to the 255 tables of 255 sprites) was already implemented? not sure.

Edit: Sorry, he edited the routines for a filler byte. However download his hack and read the source code! I assume it could be portable.

Almost of all of FR code is portable to Emerald, so it should be able to work. JPAN hacked all of the routines to allow for 2 bytes instead of 1 when loading OW indexes, but besides that and loading from vars instead of static bytes, it is still the same code, so it wouldn't be too hard to implement into Emerald.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I followed these steps, and successfully inserted one overworld - however the second sprite in my new table won't show, it does the 'invisible' thing Metapod mentions.

My picture number is "1" and my unknown is "00 01" - have I done something obviously wrong? My sprite appears fine in the OW Editor.

/// ARGH. Turned out one of my pointers was wonky. Make sure to check yo stuff, Magic *hits*.

Last edited:

Lance32497

LanceKoijer of Pokemon_Addicts
Years
can anybody here help me, I'm having a problem with the palette number, I had expanded the palette numbers, it is Pal18, I inserted 18 in palette slot, and whenever I try to insert any unused byte on the 3rd Palette information, it doesn't load the actual palette.

Code:
FFFF00111811000210002000[B]1C[/B]01000010373A089C373A
0870343A080000B009FC1C2308

the bolded one really bugs me, if I change it to any bytes except "10" then the palette will be incorrectly loaded, but if 10, it will load the correct palette but it shares the palette of player's OW.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 16, 2023
Can you give me a new link for the Fire Red Hacked Engine? the link is not working

Years
Can you give me a new link for the Fire Red Hacked Engine? the link is not working

There's a second one that you should be able to click and download from the first post in JPAN's thread. I included a spoiler image of what it looks like on my screen.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Dec 16, 2023
Oh, sorry i did'nt no that was the second link and i thought you need to download all of that😅 tnx👍

Back