• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PKSV - Pokémon Script Editor + GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
Years
I thought the "war" was over :s

Rabbit?
Images?

Copyright??!?!?!

I can tell you that this program is NOT illegal, yet the ROMs it requires (not included) are.

Anyway, aside from that, yet another version is out. It seems I'm compiling a new version nearly every day! :P
This time, the glitch where there were "Extra characters on line" when everything was fine, is fixed, there's a new ScriptGen button, and you now don't have to save to compile.

Ok I'm working on a ruby ROM converting it to my own game and for some reason I am having trouble. How do I add new scripts to the game
Use the free space finder (ctrl+p) in PKSV. Then, just use #org and the offset of free space at the start of the script, and change someone's AdvanceMap Script Offset to the same value (but with $ instead of 0x)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • F:\u
  • Seen Oct 25, 2008
I thought the "war" was over :s

Rabbit?
Images?

Copyright??!?!?!

I can tell you that this program is NOT illegal, yet the ROMs it requires (not included) are.

Anyway, aside from that, yet another version is out. It seems I'm compiling a new version nearly every day! :P
This time, the glitch where there were "Extra characters on line" when everything was fine, is fixed, there's a new ScriptGen button, and you now don't have to save to compile.

Use the free space finder (ctrl+p) in PKSV. Then, just use #org and the offset of free space at the start of the script, and change someone's AdvanceMap Script Offset to the same value (but with $ instead of 0x)

This program is illegal. It uses copywrited sprites by the dozen. Get a legal degree and argue with me. :)

The ROMs it requires aren't illegal in the least bit. The Read-Only Memory of the games it edits can be dumped from the cartridge onto a computer as a backup. From there-on-out, there's no real legal precedent for the company to tell people they can't edit that memory, unless they try to distribute it.

Years
I'll just lend a little hand and say that it also contains copyrighted parts from the roms required for editing the scripts...

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
Years
Everyone, Gabe_k posted in my thread! Party time!

Apart from that, to Cooley: Fixed, but also your script had 2 #ORGs, 2 bytes (!) apart.

Back to the topic in hand.
If those sprites are illegal, then all screenshots from web reviews, etc, should be removed. Entirely. A small icon next to text counts as fair use.

As for the copyrighted parts of the ROM, I did not take any data from the ROM. Since this script editor uses similar semantics to a disassembler, you try saying that IDA is illegal. Go on, I dare you to e-mail them.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2008
That's what he was talking about via "parts of the ROM". He's kind of vague. Sorry.

Yes, they are illegal, and no, they don't fall under fair use, because yes, you are distributing them. Learn something about U.S. law before you try to argue with me. At least when I break the law, I flaunt it, not hide it..

Using your own representation of these trademarked images would be sketchy, but legal; frankly I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't sent you a Cease and Desist notice yet.

Bishopk

meow :)
Years
  • CO
  • Seen Feb 16, 2018
That's nice. Would you mind complaining to the other people in this forum? I'm sure they're doing something illegal.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
Years
Alison, why don't you go an tell that to all the spriters in the sprite forum, too? And hey, whilst your at it, you better get on to Marriland about his Pokedex, and you should be seeing Serebii too. Naughty use of illegal sprites...

Honestly, I don't think Gamefreak/Nintendo are bothered when it comes to such frivolous little things. Do you really think they'd take legal action against a 15 year old for using a few 16*16 sprites in his program? Jesus Christ. They're not exactly going to be getting billions out of him on that one, are they? Admittedly, I know nothing about US law, being a Brit, but using some common sense, you can see that this program is hardly a threat to Nintendo's coffers, and would hardly be worth taking action against.

Score_under, do keep it up. I consider myself something of a seasoned computer nerd, and a year younger than me, you're doing something that I definitely couldn't. >> I like the way that it's the only script editor that colour codes (To my knowledge), by the way. Definitely stiff competition for XSE.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
Years
Though, having said what I said, Score_under, you really should stop having a go at Pokespam. Seriously. I hadn't read through the PokeShop thread when I posted my comment earlier.

EDIT: I think this is some sort of on-going conflict, is it not? Sorry to get involved.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2008
How about i come in and straighten this out. What I say is what I mean; I have studied law for around 2 years (father is an attorney). Now where to begin....

For first, how about I explain about what this program is illegal/legal. Well here's how it works: Any distribution of copyrighted work is ILLEGAL. By that I mean sprites fall into more of a gray area than illegal. Technically they are copyrighted and therefore are illegal for you to distribute to an extent. They are more of a gray area in this sort of matter. The use of said sprites in (for example) a web site fall under "Fair use". However if the site were to make any profit what-so-ever it would be extremely illegal unless permission was granted by author of said sprites (from here-on they will be referred to as 'art').
However you will also find it the same for a program. It falls under "Fair use" for any assets used in the program AS LONG as the program is freely distributed and it's sole intention is not to distribute said assets.

You might also think that he must be use copyrighted areas from roms to edit these scripts. if that was true, then sorry but I must release source code for any major program associated with hacking pokemon roms (starting with pokeshop of course). That would then give fair use to source and all assets of the programs since they are not yours to distribute freely without permission from the author of said conflicting content. Releasing source of said content would therefore give free rights to anyone who wants it, therefore you cannot be claimed responsible for it.
Now his program is completely fine (and legal). He's not technically including any copyrighted code from the program, but his program does what it's supposed to do using his own research.
It's like saying that just because my halo 3 map resigner fixes halo 3 maps and THEREFORE must be using parts from the halo 3 program or source. OR even how my CON resigner fixes con sha1 tables so therefore i MUST be using code from the xbox 360 kernel. Really as long as he doesn't try to make profit from said program (if he does, all he would need to do is remove conflicting art), his program is completely legal.

So anyone attacking him over it *cough*michael******cough*, i will ****ing rape you so hard, your lawyer will feel it. Now everyone stfu over if his program's illegal or not, because it's not. I don't care if you wanted to be the first (or only) one with such a program, but the way you're acting is ****ing pathetic. Just live on with it, and if i hear gabe or michael attack this thread again, im raping them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2008
I don't know where you got your legal degree, Haxalot, but I got mine from a cereal box. Also, I have this cake. Also, I got all this information from a lawyer, and a law student, so I really doubt you're right, but Haxalot, I would like to take you up on that bumsex thing.

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2008
I don't know where you got your legal degree, Haxalot, but I got mine from a cereal box. Also, I have this cake. Also, I got all this information from a lawyer, and a law student, so I really doubt you're right, but Haxalot, I would like to take you up on that bumsex thing.
I'm guessing a lawyer that earned his digree by cheating? or someone who CLAIMS to be a lawyear? My parents both study law and so that is where i got my information.

btw michael, reply to this and im releasing full source.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2008
LOL Gabe, learn 2 law plox.

Programs work the same way as images. An image posted online is automatically righted to you. Also, I've got to get around to changing the default copyright to a Creative Commons license sometime... -_-

No offense intended, BTW, Gabe, I just don't like losing to Score_Under, and when people say incorrect thingies, I have to unthingy them. Gosh. XD

Actually, I stand corrected. Though work is automatically copyrighted, it needs to be filed before you can use the copyright in a court of law!

Will be buying a Copyright registration on our software within the week.. As of now, we do own the copyright to it, though, it's simply not filed!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 25, 2008
It doesn't particularly matter, Trace, copyrighted images are copyrighted images, and Nintendo, I'm sure, has taken all precautions to get international rights to their sprites.

And yeah, of course, let's turn this into a forum full of lawbreakers... Go anarchy... Yeah... You do realize if we let everyone do what Score_Under did, this website would get a Cease & Decist by Nintendo, probably.

El Moss

General Cool Guy
Years
The download isn't working... OMG!

Btw I have to say I'm completely for the ending of this stupid argument, but I'm not going to start giving reasons and what not because I know I'd make it worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back