• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Name Change suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
Yes, I know why you took it away, and no, I am not saying you should completely bring it back.

Here are just some suggestions dealing with it:

1. Make it available to supporters of a certain level.

or

2. Make it so maybe once a year, you have the thread to allow it. And you only have it open for a certain amount of time. A good time would be January 1st. New name for a new year? :P

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I like that idea (Because I want to go back to my old username, because my crappy sister changed it D:)

But, I don't think it will happen anytime soon :/

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years
I doubt it'll happen again unless we get a better server. If we want a better server then we're going to need a lot more donations, so I think we're going to have to just compromise with what we have at the moment, really.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I doubt it'll happen again unless we get a better server. If we want a better server then we're going to need a lot more donations, so I think we're going to have to just compromise with what we have at the moment, really.
Maybe the name changing feature for a certain tier (maybe 5) will cause more people to donate, and then we get that new server xDD

But yeah lots of people make suggestions and I don't really think it will work sadly ;-;

shot571

I like that tier 5 suggestion. I might just donate just to get to that (slowly ofc :P)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Maybe the name changing feature for a certain tier (maybe 5) will cause more people to donate, and then we get that new server xDD

But yeah lots of people make suggestions and I don't really think it will work sadly ;-;
That does sound good, but I don't think they'll change it to that.

Surmonter

Hear No Evil
Years
I agree, tier 5 seems like the best solution.

I think completely removing isn't the best idea. I think given the situation, you should just make it so only tier 5+ can change their names every few months, and staff of course. If people really want a name change so bad, they can just pay for it. :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
I always thought that this would be a good way to go. After all, they help out with the cost of keeping the community running financially.
I'm pretty sure the possibility of making name changes a supporter-only perk was discussed, so I don't think it'll be for just supporters, even though I think it would be a nice thing.

I'd much rather make it a tier 6 perk than 5, though.

shot571

Tier 6 is much too imo. I mean The most I can give will be about 50. And thatll be for name changes, tier 5 is ok imo.

Melody

Banned
Years
Honestly that's pricing it out of most people's range though. Making it a Tier 5 perk would be better. Not to mention, Tier 6 has never been "officially" adopted as far as I know, it doesn't even have a set number of perks which have been posted by staff. (The blog entry by one of the T6s can't be official really, it's just what perks that person got along with the current T6 members.

It could be a set number of name changes for all T5 members, and T6 get up to 4x more. The name changes would obviously be restricted to occurring once every 3 months like it was back when everyone could, but limited. Additionally Name Changing credits could be purchased by anyone for a reasonable price like $5-10USD, and it would only buy the name change, and no Supporter status.

Additionally, individual perks could be made available on a small payment basis. Things like say...+100 PM inbox space could cost $1-$2, and credit could be granted to everyone who has not donated enough to make it into Tier 1 to choose from a "menu" of individual perks.

It could really bring in the money. Things like blogs could be unlocked for a more moderate amount, like $4...with some small requirements like having 100 posts before this could be unlocked. (100 posts ought to be enough history for a staff member to determine if the blog privileges would be abused)

Additionally, it's optional but the individual perk purchases could apply toward Tiers if the staff wishes it. The individual perks wouldn't require additional usergroups because I believe it's possible to edit the member via ACP and give them those permissions. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Melody

Banned
Years
Indeed it could be as low as that. It's really up to the staff, I was merely suggesting a steeper range because it does tax the server resources quite a bit. This Pay-Per-Perk idea could really bring in donations.

Please guys, let's not put it in that insanely priced tier...it's obscenely priced. Name changes could reasonably cost up to $15 dollars and still bring in reasonable income, while still costing enough to make people THINK before buying it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Paying with every name change though? I'm sure that's going to get old for a while.

I've contemplated this issue and thought it'd be best if it were a tier 6 perk instead. After all, donating 100 bucks to the community is a large amount and if anything, it's worth a heck of a lot more than 25 bucks obviously.

So my vote goes towards the tier 6s having it.
You got a point there, but then again there are only 3 tier 6's and not many people are able to donate that much. So tier 5 gets thew vote imo

Melody

Banned
Years
Honestly I think it's fine if Tier 6s get the perk of infinite name changes...because that's worth paying $100 for.

But in the name of fairness, I should think that Tier 5s should get at least a set number of name changes, likely to be one fourth of what you get for T6

Tiers below 5 don't need to get that perk, and they could just pay money to get one name change, or upgrade to T5

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
But listen. Name change is a mass privilege now. Especially knowing what it can do to the server, and knowing how many tier 5s we have(which of course is greater than the amount of tier 6s), I'd prefer the server to be as less stressed as possible and I want people to make up for this by making as many contribution to the community as possible. Sure, there are not that many tier 6s, and it may be because it's far out of some people's budget, but it's still be a way to get people to donate and to keep PC running a lot more smoothly.

In concept, it is a bit silly. I mean, $100 just to get a name change on a Pokemon forum? But if you really think about it, with all of what Steve is paying for and stuff, it makes sense to make up for that, so that in the end, PC would at least have enough money to get a new server.

The concept behind this is probably what's setting this back, and honestly, donating the mass amount of money is both a good and a farfetched thing in this case, in which donating 25 bucks would be the reasonable option then to keep it in the more "reasonable" price-range, but it'd be more stricter on us than it is on the tier 6s, imo.
I get you point. But still even though I have the money to donate, I have no means to donate because of my parents. Tier 5 would still be good but only a certain amount of name changes, and if you want more then you can donate $25 dollars more and so forth.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Wasn't the point of name changes being dropped because even one change hurt the server? :(

The tier 5/6 perk should be your postbit display name being changed - but your username staying the same. Thus, it wouldn't affect the server, it would be requestable and would seem like a perk. Then again, the upper staff probably wouldn't even want that.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
This isn't going to happen anyway, so why are you guys arguing about it so passionately?

Melody

Banned
Years
But listen. Name change is a mass privilege now. Especially knowing what it can do to the server, and knowing how many tier 5s we have(which of course is greater than the amount of tier 6s), I'd prefer the server to be as less stressed as possible and I want people to make up for this by making as many contribution to the community as possible. Sure, there are not that many tier 6s, and it may be because it's far out of some people's budget, but it's still be a way to get people to donate and to keep PC running a lot more smoothly.

In concept, it is a bit silly. I mean, $100 just to get a name change on a Pokemon forum? But if you really think about it, with all of what Steve is paying for and stuff, it makes sense to make up for that, so that in the end, PC would at least have enough money to get a new server.

The concept behind this is probably what's setting this back, and honestly, donating the mass amount of money is both a good and a farfetched thing in this case, in which donating 25 bucks would be the reasonable option then to keep it in the more "reasonable" price-range, but it'd be more stricter on us than it is on the tier 6s, imo.

Like Charizard I see your point, but that's highway robbery. Tier 6 isnt official, it's just granted to the people who DO donate that much money.

I get you point. But still even though I have the money to donate, I have no means to donate because of my parents. Tier 5 would still be good but only a certain amount of name changes, and if you want more then you can donate $25 dollars more and so forth.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but I cannot stress it enough that I like this idea in particular. Tier 5 does not necessarily need to have unlimited name changing powers, like Tier 6 could have, but it would be nice to give 'em all at least one or two credits. The name changes could be spaced out by the administrators by forcing a day's wait period on each request, which gives the server time to cool down and write all the records necessary, and allowing the name to be changed before it's due to happen.

It could go like this: You can only get a name change every 3 months, costs one credit for T5 and T6 have unlimited so it's immaterial. You post your request, staff member posts back with the date your request will be granted if it's been 3 months since your last change, all requests are scheduled so that only a few name changes happen per day/week period. There are quite a few tier 5s but by scheduling the actual name change, it essentially becomes simple to balance the load on the server that it causes.

This isn't going to happen anyway, so why are you guys arguing about it so passionately?
...maybe because we think it's an awesome idea and we care about PC enough to want it to draw donations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back