• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bit of a newbie....

Years
Hi all. :)

I've been a Pokemon fan since first watching the anime series when it first came out in the UK....so I guess since around 1998 when I was a kid.
I pretty much became obsessed with it back then watching it on TV, buying those Pokemon trading cards, spending hours playing red/blue on gameboy color and spending most all of my pocket money on any Pokemon merchandise that was being sold.
I'd say I was obsessed with it for a good 5ish years (as were most other kids at school) and kind of grew out of it a bit during my teens.

Anyway just after Christmas I bought Pokemon Black 2 for DS and haven't really had much chance to play it, until recently as I'm off work with an injury. Safe to say I've been playing the game constantly for the past few days and I guess am feeling quite nostalgic over my Pokemon obsessed days. The game definitely hasn't lost its appeal.
I stumbled along these forums when I was googling the DS games and am pleasantly surprised so see the Pokemon fandom is still very much active. :D So thought I'd join here seeing as I'm going to be stuck at home bored for a while.

I'm an anime fan in general, but don't get much time to watch as much as I used to. Death Note, Bleach and Blue Exorcist are three particular favourites.

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Years
Hey and welcome to PC. Your very similar to me, I became obsessed with the anime about the same time as yourself, and pretty much logged countless hours in Red on my Gameboy Color. I hope your injury isn't too serious! D:

I'm glad to see your enjoying Black 2, it's pretty awesome. Where about's in it are you at the moment?
I can tell you my friend you will have a great time here. Even a thread where you can discuss your favourite anime with fellow members. :)

So, welcome to the site and I hope you have a great time here. I'll catch you around friend. :)

Years
Hey and welcome to PC. Your very similar to me, I became obsessed with the anime about the same time as yourself, and pretty much logged countless hours in Red on my Gameboy Color. I hope your injury isn't too serious! D:

I'm glad to see your enjoying Black 2, it's pretty awesome. Where about's in it are you at the moment?
I can tell you my friend you will have a great time here. Even a thread where you can discuss your favourite anime with fellow members. :)

So, welcome to the site and I hope you have a great time here. I'll catch you around friend. :)

Thank you. :pink_smile: Those days were a good time to be part of the Pokemon fandom, did your school ever ban the trading cards? I remember they were a massive craze, all most kids wanted to do at break/lunch was trade cards and when they got banned people used to sneak them in all the time.
I dread to imagine how many hours I clocked up on my Gameboy Color over the years but it was fun.
Aww cheers, got whiplash & wrist fracture but hopefully will be on the mend soon.

I've just beaten Clay in Driftveil Gym. You completed it?

Anime thread sounds perfect to me, I agree I'm definitely going to like it here and thanks for the warm welcome. :chu:

Welcome to PC^^
I wish you a good stay (:

Thanks very much, I'm really liking it here already. ^_^

WooliestSteam

A Little Wooly Piece of Steam
Years
Thank you. :pink_smile: Those days were a good time to be part of the Pokemon fandom, did your school ever ban the trading cards? I remember they were a massive craze, all most kids wanted to do at break/lunch was trade cards and when they got banned people used to sneak them in all the time.
I dread to imagine how many hours I clocked up on my Gameboy Color over the years but it was fun.

I've just beaten Clay in Driftveil Gym. You completed it?

Anime thread sounds perfect to me, I agree I'm definitely going to like it here and thanks for the warm welcome. :chu:

Well now that you mention that, yeah my school actually did. The teachers would get angry at everyone sitting inside playing with the cards on a good day so after a while they were banned but I think everyone still brought them anyway but was just a bit more secretive about trading cards. xD

Yeah I completed the game, it's handy to have a water type for Clay's gym which I didn't. Took me ages to defeat him. :L

Years
  • Seen Feb 10, 2014
First and foremost,welcome to PC! I hope you're fine Fter the injury, injuries are not fun.
It's glad to hear you've been with Pokemon since the early days,so you might wanna check out the RBY and GSC forums, these talk about the old Pokemon games. Enjoy your ime here!

Years
Hello there Sar, and welcome!

I have to say, nice intro there. Detailed intros get my attention a lot, so great job you did there writing it! You're from the UK? What's it like over there? Is there anything you love about living there? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm trying to get to know the newbies better. Well, I'm Hikari and I'm from down in Australia. No, I don't ride kangaroos to work but it's a really awesome place indeed!

I started out my Pokemon life just like you did, watching the anime around that time when it first came to Australia. I never got to play a Pokemon game for real until getting Ruby for my 11th birthday, but after playing it, I developed a passion for Pokemon gaming and I went on to play all of the 4th and 5th Generation, but unlike you I never took a hiatus in-between generations. Are you looking forward to Pokemon X & Y by any means? The games look pretty awesome I have to tell. Nice to see you're playing Black 2, I'm playing it as well and I love it! Definitely check out the Fifth Generation Gaming section where you'll find some good B2/W2 topics. We also have General Entertainment for anime-related discussions, so definitely check that out as well.

Have fun here, and if you ever need a friend I'm always open. Just send me a visitor message and I'll be happy to make you feel welcome! Also, you can contact Cirno (or another moderator) if you ever need help getting around the forums!

- [supporter]Hikari10[/supporter]

Years
Well now that you mention that, yeah my school actually did. The teachers would get angry at everyone sitting inside playing with the cards on a good day so after a while they were banned but I think everyone still brought them anyway but was just a bit more secretive about trading cards. xD

Yeah I completed the game, it's handy to have a water type for Clay's gym which I didn't. Took me ages to defeat him. :L

Haha I knew it couldn't be just my school that went through that phase, people used to sneak the cards into my school too but there was always problems with cards getting lost or stolen and fights over holographic cards when people changed their minds after trading with someone. The good old days. =')

Did it take you long to complete? Ah but at least you got there in the end, I managed to defeat him with my Samurott. ^^

First and foremost,welcome to PC! I hope you're fine Fter the injury, injuries are not fun.
It's glad to hear you've been with Pokemon since the early days,so you might wanna check out the RBY and GSC forums, these talk about the old Pokemon games. Enjoy your ime here!

Thank you very much for the welcome. :) I'm recovering slowly thanks but this forum is a good distraction.
Ahhh yeah, you can't beat the classic Pokemon games so I'll check those areas out. Cheers for the tip, this place is pretty big, could be reading threads all day so it's good to have some guidance on where to go first.
Love your avatar btw.

Hello there Sar, and welcome!

I have to say, nice intro there. Detailed intros get my attention a lot, so great job you did there writing it! You're from the UK? What's it like over there? Is there anything you love about living there? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I'm trying to get to know the newbies better. Well, I'm Hikari and I'm from down in Australia. No, I don't ride kangaroos to work but it's a really awesome place indeed!

I started out my Pokemon life just like you did, watching the anime around that time when it first came to Australia. I never got to play a Pokemon game for real until getting Ruby for my 11th birthday, but after playing it, I developed a passion for Pokemon gaming and I went on to play all of the 4th and 5th Generation, but unlike you I never took a hiatus in-between generations. Are you looking forward to Pokemon X & Y by any means? The games look pretty awesome I have to tell. Nice to see you're playing Black 2, I'm playing it as well and I love it! Definitely check out the Fifth Generation Gaming section where you'll find some good B2/W2 topics. We also have General Entertainment for anime-related discussions, so definitely check that out as well.

Have fun here, and if you ever need a friend I'm always open. Just send me a visitor message and I'll be happy to make you feel welcome! Also, you can contact Cirno (or another moderator) if you ever need help getting around the forums!

- [supporter]Hikari10[/supporter]

Heya, thanks for the welcome. :)

Cheers, well I'm glad I'm not boring people with my rambling.
Yeah I live in England, down south & it's a bit like winter here at the moment but I do quite like the city I'm in because it's right by the sea, its home to quite a large naval base and the historic dockyard has quite a few famous ships so we get a lot of tourists in this area. It creates quite a buzz around the city and its great here during the summer just to walk along the seafront with my dog and eating fish and chips. I'm so typically British. {XD} No worries, ask as many questions as you like.
What part of Australia do you live in? I hope to spend time travelling Australia one day, when I'm able to go as I've always wanted to visit so many places there. I know quite a few people who have been out there and would agree with you that it's awesome.

That pretty cool how you've been part of the fandom since the beginning and are still very much part of it now. Once you get started on Pokemon gaming you get sucked right into it.
I'm really looking forward to Pokemon X & Y, I'll definitely be buying when they're released as they do look brilliant from what I've seen.
Do you still play any of the older generation versions? All this nostalgic talk is making me want to dig them all back out.
How far are you into Black 2? I can't believe I've had it for months and only just got round to playing it. But its so easy to get into it and spend hours playing, like the other night I thought I'd play for 20 mins before sleeping, then suddenly it was 3am when I finally stopped.
Cheers for the forum tips, I'll definitely check them out. :)

Aww thanks, that's good to know and I sure will. It's cool chatting to Pokemon fans like you so I'm glad I stumbled on these forums.

Last edited:
Years
/runs into this thread
You know, I was 99% sure I posted here but.. apparently I didn't. That has to change. Welcome to the community, Sar, regardless of if I'm a few days late!

Naww, you're definitely not boring people. Talkative new users are the best new users since you can find what you have in common and hold some awesome conversations!

But anyways, you sound a lot like me when I was just getting into the series. The anime was absolutely amazing and I couldn't stop collecting the cards or playing the games. I still have most of my old cards sitting comfortably in a box with cat pictures on it, hehe. Still have that card binder I got in fifth grade as well. :D The only real difference between you and me is that I never really grew out of Pokemon; been as obsessed since I got into it in 1998/1999. It's definitely true that the franchise is still as amazing as ever though, right? Black & White introducing the moving battle sprites was one of the coolest additions and made the Pokemon seem much more alive. Black 2 & White 2 are amaazing sequels too, and I was just playing them a minute ago! The older games are amazing as well since Pokemon as a whole is a fantastic franchise. I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying Pokemon so much and hopefully that means PC will become much more fun to you. :)

I'm so sorry about your injury though! ;~; But luckily you have amazing forums like these and Pokemon to keep yourself occupied. It's great that you have already gone around and made some posts around this place so I'll be crossing my fingers you keep that up and evolve into an experienced forum member, yeah? It would stink if we lost you since you do seem like a great person.

Enjoy your stay on PC! I'll be looking forward to running into you lots and lots! Hope you have a great time here~

Years
/runs into this thread
You know, I was 99% sure I posted here but.. apparently I didn't. That has to change. Welcome to the community, Sar, regardless of if I'm a few days late!

Naww, you're definitely not boring people. Talkative new users are the best new users since you can find what you have in common and hold some awesome conversations!

But anyways, you sound a lot like me when I was just getting into the series. The anime was absolutely amazing and I couldn't stop collecting the cards or playing the games. I still have most of my old cards sitting comfortably in a box with cat pictures on it, hehe. Still have that card binder I got in fifth grade as well. :D The only real difference between you and me is that I never really grew out of Pokemon; been as obsessed since I got into it in 1998/1999. It's definitely true that the franchise is still as amazing as ever though, right? Black & White introducing the moving battle sprites was one of the coolest additions and made the Pokemon seem much more alive. Black 2 & White 2 are amaazing sequels too, and I was just playing them a minute ago! The older games are amazing as well since Pokemon as a whole is a fantastic franchise. I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying Pokemon so much and hopefully that means PC will become much more fun to you. :)

I'm so sorry about your injury though! ;~; But luckily you have amazing forums like these and Pokemon to keep yourself occupied. It's great that you have already gone around and made some posts around this place so I'll be crossing my fingers you keep that up and evolve into an experienced forum member, yeah? It would stink if we lost you since you do seem like a great person.

Enjoy your stay on PC! I'll be looking forward to running into you lots and lots! Hope you have a great time here~

Heya Cirno :D, no worries and thanks for the welcome.

Haha well I'm glad people aren't put off by my rambling. Thought I'd try and give a decent intro of myself.

So do you still watch the anime? It was such an awesome fandom to be a part of when I was growing up, I don't remember anything else being quite as dominant as Pokemon was for so many years. Its good to know I'm not the only one who's kept their trading cards, most people I knew threw them out or gave them away.
It's great how you've been a part of the fandom since the start and are still very much a part of it now. I agree the franchise is still amazing and as far as the games goes it just gets better and better. I love the moving battle sprites in B & W, it helped give the games something fresh like a new lease of life. But you can't beat the older games, those are true classics. It used to be fun trying to get through the game as quickly as possible but then it would be more enjoyable making the most of the games and exploring everything possible.
Are you playing both Black 2 and White 2?
My love for Pokemon has definitely come alive again since playing Black 2, kind of makes me wish I hadn't grown out of it during that period but I'm really glad I found these forums.

Aww thanks, well even though its dead boring being stuck at home these forums are keeping me occupied. Its very active here so I'll have plenty of threads to read and post in.
I'll definitely be staying here and hopefully I'll evolve into an experienced member ^^, shame I didn't find the forums earlier because everyone here seems really friendly and its great to see the Pokemon love is still thriving.

Anyway thanks again for the welcome and I'm sure I'll see you around the forums. =D

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
Years
Hey Wooliest, welcome to PC :)

I just had to say that I loooveee your signature! Blue Exorcist and Death Note are some of my favourite animes :P

Maybe I'll see you around the anime lounge, given you like it so much. I love the older anime of Pokemon. The new anime episodes are a bit meh for me.

Years
Hey Wooliest, welcome to PC :)

I just had to say that I loooveee your signature! Blue Exorcist and Death Note are some of my favourite animes :P

Maybe I'll see you around the anime lounge, given you like it so much. I love the older anime of Pokemon. The new anime episodes are a bit meh for me.

Hey :)

Thank you and it's great to see there are plenty of Blue Exorcist and Death Note fans here.
You'll definitely see me around the anime lounge for sure.
I agree with you regarding the older anime of Pokemon, you can't beat Ash, Misty and Brock along with Team Rocket. To be honest I've not seen much of the newer anime but I'll always love the original. ♥

Jetfire

أربعة ملوك السماوية
Years
  • Age 32
  • ???
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I'm sure many of us can share the same nostalgia! I remember watching the very first pokemon episode back when it first aired. It was before school that morning, and I felt as if I stumbled across something amazing and couldn't help to tell my friends. But, to my surprise .. I was actually one of the last to know haha.

I've been on and off with pokemon since when Diamond and Pearl came around. Around that time, just like you're doing now .. I came across a forum and joined because I was so into my game and really wanted to make full use of its online features. Even now, several years later .. I still keep in constant contact with the friends I made from that forum. So, I know you won't be bored here once you make some solid friends.

I'm definitely looking forward to battling and trading with you.

Back