• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The new mod Michaela is active almost everyday so I think it should be less than 3 days. I didn't know mine was accepted until someone informed me. So my guess would be 2 and half days for my case. :)

You don't have to worry about being denied, as long as you have an interesting and good plot, it'll definitely be accepted.

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
Years
Give them freedom but not for everything. For me, I give freedom for their imagination and creativity but I'll state what they have to do and so on.

Yep, but can you be a little more specific? I'm trying to do that, but I still don't know how much I should give them.

Can you set an example?

Years
Hmm, depends on what RP you're doing? Journey, PMD or what? If it's Journey, you could allow the RPers to decide what gender their starter and caught Pokemon would be. And also allow them to imagine anything and everything in the cities and towns.

If it's PMD, maybe give them a few choices of things to do and let them decide on their own which choice to select and such. I'm not so sure either. You can just give lots of freedom but not allow them from making unnecessary sub-plots and twists that may adversely affect the RP. :/

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
If it's an RP with a specific story made up, you could let them play it in chapters, telling them some things that will happen during the current chapter, but let them play out their reactions from their imagination. Maybe they will come up with interesting things in their posts that you'll want to add to the story, or maybe you realize that for these RPers, the story will twist in a way you didn't expect from the start? It is difficult, I agree.

For a journey RP, it's usually a good idea to give the RPers a lot of freedom and simply provide them with a few NPCs and the overall setting but not too many details, IF THEY ARE good RPers in that regard. There might be RPers who feel lost when they don't have a goal to write against, I think.

I personally love a lot of freedom, as long as there is a solid setting and a background story that unfolds slowly enough. In my own Journey RP, I'm not giving so much freedom though; I tell them events that will happen in each chapter and they are left to play them out however they want, but must come to a certain goal at the end. I might change it a bit and loosen it up when we're further in, but I haven't even gotten to the main storyline yet xD So I want them to get a feel for it before I set them loose.

Thar~ tl;dr

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
You can set certain reatrictions too like no legendaries, plus you'd also want to look out for their character's level of experience. If the character is 10 years old but has 3 legendaries on a team and has beaten the elite 4, then there might be a bit of a problem.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
You can set certain reatrictions too like no legendaries, plus you'd also want to look out for their character's level of experience. If the character is 10 years old but has 3 legendaries on a team and has beaten the elite 4, then there might be a bit of a problem.

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense when people do that...though I think I come close to doing that accidently sometimes =/
But apparently in the pokemon anime it makes perfect sense, as Ash is STILL ONLY 10 YEARS OLD.

But, yeah. I think you've already stated most things you could let RPers do/not do so the RP isn't too dull/extreme...

My RP is dying, and i'm not sure if it's due to just plain inactivity or people are getting bored. I think it's due to both...at least I still have three more RP ideas in my head :)

Aura.Lucario

The Rivers will run red....
Years
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense when people do that...though I think I come close to doing that accidently sometimes =/
But apparently in the pokemon anime it makes perfect sense, as Ash is STILL ONLY 10 YEARS OLD.

But, yeah. I think you've already stated most things you could let RPers do/not do so the RP isn't too dull/extreme...

My RP is dying, and i'm not sure if it's due to just plain inactivity or people are getting bored. I think it's due to both...at least I still have three more RP ideas in my head :)

Good point.

Animes are like that, aren't they

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
This may seem like a shallow question, and indeed I kind of view it as an incredibly shallow question myself, but I ask nonetheless. (And yes, it has much to do with how I can entice people to join my RP.)

What do you generally like to see in RPs?

or

How do you generally go about advertising your RP?

Bolded topics. Ah, nostalgia... >_>

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Bolded topics :D I'll answer pretty fast now tho... *checks watch*

Freedom under guidelines. You want to be able to play your own character in a natural way, but you don't want to be forced to come up with a whole world by yourself... when the GM said he would.

And pokémon! *shot* Well, pokémon is so great because you can clearly see how you progress in an RP (well, many RPs, not all) by the pokémon always getting levels and growing. I want to see some way to make progress and keep track on it. A way to get stronger or rise in level or get more stuff.

I don't advertise much, I think... people sorta just came over. I sometimes post in this thread though, saying there's spots open. Or I tell some friends on here, who I know are good RPers, if I want them in my RP.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
  • Seen Dec 13, 2016
This may seem like a shallow question, and indeed I kind of view it as an incredibly shallow question myself, but I ask nonetheless. (And yes, it has much to do with how I can entice people to join my RP.)

or

Bolded topics. Ah, nostalgia... >_>

[War is Peace]
[Ignorance is strength]

sorry i couldn't help but comment on you're subtitle thing, I just finished 1984 last month and it's now my favorite book. Is your avatar a telescreen? I didn't really picture them like that.

Anyhow, I usually look for out of the ordinary, creative and fight to save the world RP's those are fun.

And I only kind of advertise on this thread, nothing else really, i guess one could put it in their signature though.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
Well, submitted a steampunk RP set in Unova for approval a few hours ago, hopefully it'll be approved soon <_> It's a pretty straight forward RP. I decided not to delve too deeply into the plot so that you actually have a reason to play and not know from the get-go what is exactly going to happen. Obviously, there are hints, but nothing too set-in-stone that I can't manipulate.

Ya know, Unova is actually the perfect locale for a steampunk RP, what with Reshiram and Zekrom each being icons for different kinds of energy.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
Thanks :) I really hope it gets approved soon cause I'm itching to roleplay, but none of the popular ones seem to have open spots at the moment :<

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2023
I think I'll join it too, I kinda want another Rp to be in.

~Wind~

Detective
Years
So, I had an Idea, of which i'll play a character, as well as GM and any self created NPCs.
It's called 'Free World Medieval' subtitle: 'An RP driven by you!'
Basically, In a medieval world, many people live alongside the many monsters, some aggresive, some peaceful. These people can become homeless peasants, or they could become kings! it all depends on thier actions and decisions.
There are other aspects, such as many plot lines that could be invoked if certain decisions are made. Also, there are many gods, with very powerful individuals sometimes rising into thier ranks. Sign-ups would stay open, with travelers coming in and out of the world at all times.
Overall, very free. Although it does seem destined to fail. XD

Another idea could be a parody RP?

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
It seems a bit convoluted. You mentioned a few ideas, but nothing too cohesive. I think generally people do like a story/a means to an end, however I am not everyone else, so I'm not sure.

First and foremost the peasants would want to have a reason to become king, plus is there a king already?

If it is held like a competition, it could make more sense.

You could even do it like an RPG style where 6 RPers (and their respective characters) are chosen by the land to go on a journey to some peril, and the one returning could be deemed king... something like that. People do like the freedom to chose their own pokemon too, but also if you were creating an adventure RP certain restrictions would have to be applied.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
Years
Sounds like a free-roam RP and from what I've seen of them on other forums, they don't usually survive, or, if they do, they become extremely polluted with "players" who go off in their own little worlds and generally lose focus about what the RP's really about.

Not a very good idea especially if you actually want to RP and can't because the other participants are posting at every possible moment and you can't get a single word in. Have experienced that before and it is severely annoying...

Now, like Feign said: Setting up a limit to about 6 people is good because there aren't too many people and profiles to keep track off. A solid limit is 6, but if you can gather about 3 or 4 committed and decent RPers, that works too.

Also, if you plan on allowing them to choose any Pokemon as a starter, you're going to have to put up restrictions unless you want them choosing Mew and Arceus or the pseudo-legendaries =P No Legendaries and only psuedos is the SU is exemplary are generally fair restrictions.

~Wind~

Detective
Years
actually, it would be other RP.
Which makes it less likely to live.
Just a quick idea i came up with.
Also, you would start off as just an avereage person, not a peasant, but not a nobleman either.
If you make bad decisions (IE: you gamble loads and lose all your money) You would eventually be lowered to peasantry, but if you became a famed adventurer, you may conquer a new land and gain kingship.
I guess I would have to limit to around maybe 2-3 parties of people at a time, with a maximum 4 in a party, minimum being a soloplayer of one.
However, the signups would stay open, so if one person dropped out, they would write a finishing post of thier death, leaving for other travels or abduction by aliens.
After that, another spot would be open for a traveler to come to the main town and join a party.

About a spoof, I though maybe something with an extremely feeble plotline, just to mimic some of the more annoying plots eg: You must gain all 5 destiny shards to fight the mega-dragon who is evil and is gonna destroi the Universe! ONOES!!!!!111one etc.
Also including crappy maps, stupid items eg: invisible shirt of manliness XD and generic monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back