• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Japanese Illegal Whaling off the Coast of Antarctica

lacella

monsters & macarons.
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2012
this is really sad, but honestly i feel like the saddest part is that it's part of a long line of somewhat inescapable brutality. like a poster mentioned above, there are many animals that are being harmed and there is nothing, including species, that justifies that. however, what can one expect in a world where humans kill and torture members of their OWN species?

everyone in the world is harming animals, whether actively, or passively. what i mean by this is for every animal that's being harmed, are a lot of people who aren't and in most cases can't, do anything about it.

animal cruelty as a WHOLE won't ever end until humans learn to stop being cruel, period. and sadly, i don't see that happening any time soon.

but i'm not a compete pessimist. if you have the ability to save one, would you turn it down because you couldn't save all of them? of course not! (well at least i hope not...). i think if those who do have the will and ability to do something about it actually step up... y'know. we might not save the world but it's spreading awareness so a lot more people want to save the world also.

also, the point isn't survival of the fittest, nor is it a choice between animals or humans. it's the cessation of UNNATURAL torture/cruelty and forced death, regardless of race or species.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
Even tho I know that my life is not beneficial to the earth, I can at least try to help. Joining wildlife conservationists, donating money to start up and fund national parks are some things I can do that most people don't.

No species can adapt to poaching/hunting. How are they going to adapt to humans? Grow steel armor to protect themselves from bullets and harpoons? Not happening. It takes thousands of years to adapt to changes, yet they don't have the time to. By your logic of adapting, there wouldn't be any animals left.
You'd help more if you stopped breathing, or maybe went on a rampage.

Get smaller and faster? In any case, it all balances itself out in the end. The ecological system is in constant flux, always changing, never static. If something becomes unbalanced, it will eventually rectify itself.

Or are you going to oppose nature?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
You'd help more if you stopped breathing, or maybe went on a rampage.

Get smaller and faster? In any case, it all balances itself out in the end. The ecological system is in constant flux, always changing, never static. If something becomes unbalanced, it will eventually rectify itself.

Or are you going to oppose nature?
That's debatable.

That's impossible, think more logically. It's taken crocodiles millions of years to shrink from fifty feet to twenty feet as they are right now. Rectify itself? How? I'd like to see that happen. That won't happen. A new species popping up out of no where?

How would I oppose nature? Well, in a sense, we, as humans, are opposing nature as it is.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
That's debatable.

That's impossible, think more logically. It's taken crocodiles millions of years to shrink from fifty feet to twenty feet as they are right now. Rectify itself? How? I'd like to see that happen. That won't happen. A new species popping up out of no where?

How would I oppose nature? Well, in a sense, we, as humans, are opposing nature as it is.
How so? Your problem is too many humans on the planet. Saving animals doesn't fix that at all.

Because disruptions in one part of the food web lead to problems elsewhere, and impact upon all parts of it. Lets say the population of a species grew too large and thus over consumed its food source, reducing its numbers. What would happen then with the reduced availability of food? The population of the first species would decrease as it could no longer survive. That's how things will rectify themselves.

As I said earlier though, if a species dies out, then so what? It has no right to live if it cannot ensure its own survival. That's what I mean by going against nature - because by protecting the inferior members of a species we are only weakening it in the end.

Unless you are suggesting that the animals do need our protection to survive, which then means once again you are being hypocritical, since earlier you said all animals, including humans, are equal.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
How so? Your problem is too many humans on the planet. Saving animals doesn't fix that at all.

Because disruptions in one part of the food web lead to problems elsewhere, and impact upon all parts of it. Lets say the population of a species grew too large and thus over consumed its food source, reducing its numbers. What would happen then with the reduced availability of food? The population of the first species would decrease as it could no longer survive. That's how things will rectify themselves.

As I said earlier though, if a species dies out, then so what? It has no right to live if it cannot ensure its own survival. That's what I mean by going against nature - because by protecting the inferior members of a species we are only weakening it in the end.

Unless you are suggesting that the animals do need our protection to survive, which then means once again you are being hypocritical, since earlier you said all animals, including humans, are equal.

That's true.

That's not always the case. As in what's happening right now. It's not just whales being over hunted, it's fish as well. Over hunting of those two key species will ruin the food chain, or even destroying the ecosystem. Unless you think destroying the ecosystem is 'rectifying' it of course.

Animals weren't made to protect themselves against humans. It's not natural. Weakening it? They've been thriving for millions of years. Even the hardiest species fall because of humans. The natural way will rectify itself, but, humans aren't doing it the natural way. It doesn't work like that.

Because of us, yes they do. What I meant, is we need to protect the animals from humans. Even if all our lives are equal doesn't mean the it'll justify itself. We already wiped out countless species as it is and put many more on the endangered list. Just because they're considered equal, doesn't mean they won't need our help. We're the ones that hurt them, so in turn, we'll need to help them.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
That's true.

That's not always the case. As in what's happening right now. It's not just whales being over hunted, it's fish as well. Over hunting of those two key species will ruin the food chain, or even destroying the ecosystem. Unless you think destroying the ecosystem is 'rectifying' it of course.

Animals weren't made to protect themselves against humans. It's not natural. Weakening it? They've been thriving for millions of years. Even the hardiest species fall because of humans. The natural way will rectify itself, but, humans aren't doing it the natural way. It doesn't work like that.

Because of us, yes they do. What I meant, is we need to protect the animals from humans. Even if all our lives are equal doesn't mean the it'll justify itself. We already wiped out countless species as it is and put many more on the endangered list. Just because they're considered equal, doesn't mean they won't need our help. We're the ones that hurt them, so in turn, we'll need to help them.
No, but it will rectify itself in the end.

If any species is to survive, it has to adapt. Simple as that. So what if they go extinct? Billions of species have gone extinct. Many species go extinct without us even realising they ever existed. So what? What does it matter? You're not even worried about the survival of your own species - why do you care about others?

Is it because whales have been romanticised? Is your love for animals entirely emotional?

No, by feeling the need to help them, you are judging them as unequal. You can't say they are equal to us and yet at the same time assist them. If they need our assistance to not go extinct then they were never equal in the first place.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
No, but it will rectify itself in the end.

If any species is to survive, it has to adapt. Simple as that. So what if they go extinct? Billions of species have gone extinct. Many species go extinct without us even realising they ever existed. So what? What does it matter? You're not even worried about the survival of your own species - why do you care about others?

Is it because whales have been romanticised? Is your love for animals entirely emotional?

No, by feeling the need to help them, you are judging them as unequal. You can't say they are equal to us and yet at the same time assist them. If they need our assistance to not go extinct then they were never equal in the first place.

That's probably not going to happen. A more likely solution will be that humans wipe off most animal species off the earth and then the earth becoming inhabitable because of us.

That's mainly because of us. We recently found a new species of pit viper within the last couple of years, and it's already on the endangered list. So what? They all play a role and fill their own niche in their ecosystem, which their absence, can never be filled again.

Why would I be worried about my own species? We have one of the largest population of any other animal our size. We're capable of defending ourselves. We're not endangered.

No, I grew up studying animals, and at a very young age I started handling them. After growing up with them I felt that humans shouldn't be killing them just because they hate them or if they taste good.

Okay then, that that's another approach. We can let all the animals live freely then after a couple hundred years their population will replenish. But, if we leave them alone. It's take hundred or even thousands of years for them to go back to their former number.

Another thing, we introduced new animals to different places on earth and even created new ones, which don't fit into any ecosystem. (Dogs, introduced pythons to the everglades, etc.) It'll only truly go back to the way it was if we erase our footprint from our world.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
In my honest opinion, until someone rebels and sheds a few bullets into the ships and maybe even blows a few up, nothing will happen. It's much too easy to get away with things when the money you're making out of it is insanely huge.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I'm sorry to say it, Charizard, but it seems as if people like you are fighting a losing battle. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cause to fight for, but at the rate humanity is going, many more species along with whales are going to go extinct. Unless you have some master plan to eradicate a continent or two and set us back a few billion, eventually, we're going to kill off most species in order to survive.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
In my honest opinion, until someone rebels and sheds a few bullets into the ships and maybe even blows a few up, nothing will happen. It's much too easy to get away with things when the money you're making out of it is insanely huge.

Actually, the Sea Shepard program has made more progress in the last six years than the government has made in the last hundred years, without the use of weapons and other illegal activities. The groups numbers are growing and so is their success rate. The whaling companies are making less and less money from whale meat and they're losing money on gas and cleaning their boats which the Sea Shepard has ruined.

Harlequin said:
I'm sorry to say it, Charizard, but it seems as if people like you are fighting a losing battle. Don't get me wrong, it's a good cause to fight for, but at the rate humanity is going, many more species along with whales are going to go extinct. Unless you have some master plan to eradicate a continent or two and set us back a few billion, eventually, we're going to kill off most species in order to survive.

It is a good cause, and more and more people are joining it, and it's getting better and better. Although it still hasn't gone down much, more and more conservation efforts are being made. Don't get me wrong, a major break through won't happen within the next ten or so years, but, there's hope in trying.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Do you have proof they're killing more than the legal amount? If they say they're following the rules, you're going to have to provide evidence they aren't.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
Do you have proof they're killing more than the legal amount? If they say they're following the rules, you're going to have to provide evidence they aren't.
I never said they're not killing more than the legal amount. But, the law states that they must only be killed for scientific studies, but that's not happening. Even though the whale is then allowed to be sold on the market, the Japanese aren't studying the whales they kill at all. Not all of them at least. And it's on Australia's national reserve.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
It is a good cause, and more and more people are joining it, and it's getting better and better. Although it still hasn't gone down much, more and more conservation efforts are being made. Don't get me wrong, a major break through won't happen within the next ten or so years, but, there's hope in trying.

But not enough people are signing up, correct? I don't mean to be Ms Debbie Downer, but there are simply not enough people at the moment who care or will care enough to stop or try to reverse what humanity has done to the ecological system.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019

But not enough people are signing up, correct? I don't mean to be Ms Debbie Downer, but there are simply not enough people at the moment who care or will care enough to stop or try to reverse what humanity has done to the ecological system.
You're not being a downer.

A lot more people in recent years are signing up, but yea, not enough. But, hopefully there will be enough people. After people come back from their experiences, they tell more and more people, which then helps the cause. But, the numbers are growing steadily over the years, so there's still hope.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 8, 2023
That's probably not going to happen. A more likely solution will be that humans wipe off most animal species off the earth and then the earth becoming inhabitable because of us.

That's mainly because of us. We recently found a new species of pit viper within the last couple of years, and it's already on the endangered list. So what? They all play a role and fill their own niche in their ecosystem, which their absence, can never be filled again.

Why would I be worried about my own species? We have one of the largest population of any other animal our size. We're capable of defending ourselves. We're not endangered.

No, I grew up studying animals, and at a very young age I started handling them. After growing up with them I felt that humans shouldn't be killing them just because they hate them or if they taste good.

Okay then, that that's another approach. We can let all the animals live freely then after a couple hundred years their population will replenish. But, if we leave them alone. It's take hundred or even thousands of years for them to go back to their former number.

Another thing, we introduced new animals to different places on earth and even created new ones, which don't fit into any ecosystem. (Dogs, introduced pythons to the everglades, etc.) It'll only truly go back to the way it was if we erase our footprint from our world.
We don't need most animal species to survive, and unlike them, we'll be able to adapt. The earth won't become uninhabitable unless we nuke everything, and then it'll just be awesome, like Mad Max or Fist of the North Star.

And the ecosystem will go on without them. It'll fix itself up. Don't think for a sec it gives a damn about the animals and plants within it.

Because it's your species. Why do you care so much about other animals? Most of them don't care about you, and your survival is not dependent upon them in the slightest.

Sounds like you have quite an emotional attachment to them.

So start by erasing yourself, it's the only way to "fix" things (even though nothing is actually broken).

Actually, the Sea Shepard program has made more progress in the last six years than the government has made in the last hundred years, without the use of weapons and other illegal activities. The groups numbers are growing and so is their success rate. The whaling companies are making less and less money from whale meat and they're losing money on gas and cleaning their boats which the Sea Shepard has ruined.
Uh, the Sea Shepherd always do illegal things, not to mention they're particularly dishonest and unscrupulous.

http://seashepherdlies.com/

I never said they're not killing more than the legal amount. But, the law states that they must only be killed for scientific studies, but that's not happening. Even though the whale is then allowed to be sold on the market, the Japanese aren't studying the whales they kill at all. Not all of them at least. And it's on Australia's national reserve.
What law? Who enforces that law? Who gives authority to that law?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
We don't need most animal species to survive, and unlike them, we'll be able to adapt. The earth won't become uninhabitable unless we nuke everything, and then it'll just be awesome, like Mad Max or Fist of the North Star.

And the ecosystem will go on without them. It'll fix itself up. Don't think for a sec it gives a damn about the animals and plants within it.

You're right. We don't need them. But, they're vital for keeping an ecosystem healthy. It can't fully 'fix itself' up. It takes quite a long time, and still it won't be 100% as it used to be.

Because it's your species. Why do you care so much about other animals? Most of them don't care about you, and your survival is not dependent upon them in the slightest.

Sounds like you have quite an emotional attachment to them.

So start by erasing yourself, it's the only way to "fix" things (even though nothing is actually broken).
Because my species is ruining theirs. It doesn't matter if they don't care for me, it doesn't mean I can't care for them. They don't understand we're trying to help, but that doesn't stop people from trying.

Your point?

Nothings broken? Well, things have been broken. The Gulf, even tho it's slowly been cleaning up, that ecosystem is still healing. Deforestation in the Amazon. Must I go on? 'Erasing' myself isn't the only way. There's plenty of other ways.

Uh, the Sea Shepherd always do illegal things, not to mention they're particularly dishonest and unscrupulous.

http://seashepherdlies.com/
Okay, so do the fishermen who hunt the whales. Nobody is particularly honest then.

What law? Who enforces that law? Who gives authority to that law?
Nobody does, yet there still is the law. The Australian government declared that piece of ocean as a reserve yet, they still fish on it.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
It'd be nice if I didn't hear news like these, but I can't do anything about it. The Australian Government (if they're the ones "enforcing" this rule) will have to step it up with this law if they actually want things changed, and obviously I'm not part of the Australian Government.

I don't think there are enough people to care nor there ever will be. There are much immediate issues right now than trying to save whales. Just my two cents on this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019

I don't think there are enough people to care nor there ever will be. There are much immediate issues right now than trying to save whales. Just my two cents on this.

Saving whales is not one of our top priorities, but, it'll have to be one of them soon if we want to ensure some of the species survival. Or, it'll be too late to save them.

Back