The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Challenges

Notices

Challenges Play your Pokemon games in fresh new ways! Anything from The Monotype Challenge, to the popular Nuzlocke, and even all kinds of themes based on your favorite franchises!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old Posted June 1st, 2010 (01:14 PM).
Went
Marshtomp

Send a message via Skype™ to Went
If you have a good idea for a challenge thread but you can't take part on it, here is the place to post your suggestions and discuss them with other people, so somebody else can use them to start their own challenges.

So, post away!
Old Posted June 1st, 2010 (09:35 PM).
Forever
let it go

Idk someone should try just going through the main game up to Red on HG/SS with just shinies (including shiny starter.) That'd take a LOT of hours, but...kind of interesting if someone did pull off that challenge. Not that I have the patience to participate.. XD;

why is this forum dead
Old Posted June 13th, 2010 (10:14 PM).
WriteThemWrong
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Nature: Lax
what about one where you only use pokemon that would likely live around where you are? like i live in arizona, a desert, so sandshrew, cacnea, trapinch, etc.
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old Posted June 13th, 2010 (10:31 PM).
Missingno.7-4468
The Kazuka Party is for curry!

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Missingno.7-4468
How about one where, if one of your Pokemon faints, you have to release it? That would be interesting...

^ This one is 500 px long for sure
Old Posted June 13th, 2010 (10:53 PM).
.Kaiser
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno.7-4468 View Post
How about one where, if one of your Pokemon faints, you have to release it? That would be interesting...
That's the Nuzlocke challenge.
Check a few threads.
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (01:47 AM).
zappyspiker
I'm back... sort of...
Community Supporter

Nature: Brave
-Speed Runs - Fastest Time
-Combined Challenges - Combining 2 or more challenges together
-Gym Leader Challenge - Playing the game using only pokemon a specific gym leader uses.
-Moveset Challenge - You pick the team you play with but other members choose the moveset
-Habitat Challenge - I liked WriteThemWrong's idea with pokemon in the same habitat (Grassland Pokémon, Forest Pokémon, Water's-edge Pokémon, Sea Pokémon, Cave Pokémon, Mountain Pokémon, Rough-terrain Pokémon, Urban Pokémon)

-Egg Group Challenge (Though I probably want to do this one).
Your team may only consist of Pokemon from the same Egg group

Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (02:07 AM).
.Kaiser
Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappyspiker View Post
-Gym Leader Challenge - Playing the game using only pokemon a specific gym leader uses.
-Moveset Challenge - You pick the team you play with but other members choose the moveset
-Habitat Challenge - I liked WriteThemWrong's idea with pokemon in the same habitat (Grassland Pokémon, Forest Pokémon, Water's-edge Pokémon, Sea Pokémon, Cave Pokémon, Mountain Pokémon, Rough-terrain Pokémon, Urban Pokémon)

There already are Gym Leader Challenges.
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (05:50 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:

They've actually tried in the past most of the challenges you suggested. I was a member in both the egg group and habitat challenges, but they didn't last long. I tried to do sorta your idea with the combined challenge, but it was like four challenges long, and it didn't catch on either. But the moveset challenge would be pretty interesting.
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (09:54 AM).
Blade Axel
Beginning Trainer

Hello! I'm not good in english!

I could not find a challenge that is the type in which the creator of the challenge which he says will be his pokes, there is something like this?
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (11:39 AM).
zappyspiker
I'm back... sort of...
Community Supporter

I could re attempt to do with the Habitat or Egg groups unless I could think of doing another Challenge.

I would do this Challenge but I don't know if it would work (Something tells me it won't work).
The Pokemon Special/Adventures Challenge. Where you have to choose the same team as a particular character from Pokemon Special/Adventures.
Or the same thing but based of the characters from the Anime.

Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (12:51 PM).
batmon
Trainer

Nature: Adamant
A challenge where you only use Metronome would be interesting.

Black FC: 3525 2230 3831

Black 2 FC: 2152 0899 4183

Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (01:32 PM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

Quote:
I could re attempt to do with the Habitat or Egg groups unless I could think of doing another Challenge.

I would do this Challenge but I don't know if it would work (Something tells me it won't work).
The Pokemon Special/Adventures Challenge. Where you have to choose the same team as a particular character from Pokemon Special/Adventures.
Or the same thing but based of the characters from the Anime.

Lol, I do that all the time. Currently on a Red run of LeafGreen. I refuse to do Yellow coz she also has Pikachu xD.

How about a "phobia challenge"?? Where you only do pokemon that would scare you in real life.

I.e. I would use bugs,dark types and rodents, as they scare me. Oh, and aquatic creatures. And birds. Coz I only really like mammals (marsupials aren't bad)

EDIT: I also tried starting a challenge where you only use one move, and it has to go on all your pokemon. No HM Slaves, must be able to gain that move (or a pokemon that learns it) before 2nd badge, trade for dragons and steels. You can use your other moveslots, but you must learn and keep the chosen move.

Sadly, it failed.
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (02:33 PM).
shortdan1998
Rawr! I'm back, baby!

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to shortdan1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore View Post
Lol, I do that all the time. Currently on a Red run of LeafGreen. I refuse to do Yellow coz she also has Pikachu xD.

How about a "phobia challenge"?? Where you only do pokemon that would scare you in real life.

I.e. I would use bugs,dark types and rodents, as they scare me. Oh, and aquatic creatures. And birds. Coz I only really like mammals (marsupials aren't bad)

EDIT: I also tried starting a challenge where you only use one move, and it has to go on all your pokemon. No HM Slaves, must be able to gain that move (or a pokemon that learns it) before 2nd badge, trade for dragons and steels. You can use your other moveslots, but you must learn and keep the chosen move.

Sadly, it failed.
I'd love to do a run with a Mono-attack challenge! Surf/Waterfall only! Hehe.... That would be awesome. :D

I'm back, but still confused. x_x
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (04:36 PM).
ConnorV
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
Egg group and habitat challenges would be cool, I'd do em.
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (05:19 PM).
WriteThemWrong
LetMeHearYourPokemon's___ Voice

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by batmon View Post
A challenge where you only use Metronome would be interesting.
hell yeah. but how many pokemon learn metronome?
:D
It's hard talking to cactus.

I think my head is dying
It's like being trapped in a room of smells
Old Posted June 14th, 2010 (05:30 PM).
ConnorV
Beginning Trainer

Nature: Impish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteThemWrong View Post
hell yeah. but how many pokemon learn metronome?
Once you have the TM, the move tutor and breeding a fair amount of them can learn metronome, especially in Gen III.
Old Posted June 15th, 2010 (09:49 AM).
Amore
Now stand up and begin
Community Supporter

But most challenges tend to involve no trading, and no migration to complete them either.
Old Posted June 15th, 2010 (09:51 AM).
HaloSonic
NOM NOM NOM

Nature: Relaxed
maybe the Gym Leader Challence an be expanded to all the generations, not just RBYGSC.

Good Bye Nintendo WiFi, you were fun. (my codes won't work anymore, so.... ya, hit me up on 3DS if you want dem trades.)
Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (12:37 AM).
zappyspiker
I'm back... sort of...
Community Supporter

^Someone needs to do the Elite Four Challenge

Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (05:48 AM).
Itz Spadezz
Trainer

Or can make it an ultimate gym leader run. Where you have to go through every game as one gym leader.

(Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova)
Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (07:51 AM). Edited March 31st, 2013 by Lilith.
rndm.
Mostly inactive D:

Nature: Lonely
What about a "choose a theme" challenge, where you can... well, choose a theme from the options given to you. Yes, all challenges have a theme, but this would include smaller themes which are too small for standalone challenges.
Examples:
-HGSS Sinnoh evolution run (The 5 new dex additions)
-Signature move pokemon run
...and that's all I have.

And then the "Weak pokemon challenge", where you can only use pokemon which have a Base Stat Total of under 400.

Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (08:46 AM).
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

I've got an idea for one - the Gym Type Challenge. You have to beat each gym using only Pokemon of that gym's type - so you must beat Misty using only Water-types, Erika using only Grass types, Whitney using only Normal-types, etc. Would you guys play this challenge or is it a bit too much?

Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (09:29 AM).
myrrhman
Challenge God
Community Supporter

Nature: Sassy
Send a message via AIM to myrrhman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Axel View Post
Hello! I'm not good in english!

I could not find a challenge that is the type in which the creator of the challenge which he says will be his pokes, there is something like this?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. There is a challenge called "Random Pokemon Challenge" hosted by WriteThemWrong, in which the creator picks the Pokemon for everyone using a Random Pokemon Generator.

You also might be thinking of a scramble challenge, where you post saying how many Pokemon you want to have, and everyone else gives you one Pokemon, and if you want them to, moves that it has to learn or moves that it can't learn. There's one for the third generation hosted by Ru-Kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmageddon View Post
I've got an idea for one - the Gym Type Challenge. You have to beat each gym using only Pokemon of that gym's type - so you must beat Misty using only Water-types, Erika using only Grass types, Whitney using only Normal-types, etc. Would you guys play this challenge or is it a bit too much?
THIS IS A GOOD IDEA. MYRRHMAN APPROVES.

It would be hard, because you can't keep one Pokemon for very long. I guess you would have to make an exception to brock or something, because iirc there aren't any rocks you get before him. But yeah, I would totally do this. Would you do it for the elite four too? Because you wouldn't be able to switch teams out in between battles, and you would have to have like one of each type. That could prove challenging. I'd do it.
Old Posted June 16th, 2010 (09:55 AM).
Charmageddon
Charizard has evolved into ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrrhman View Post
THIS IS A GOOD IDEA. MYRRHMAN APPROVES.

Quote:
It would be hard, because you can't keep one Pokemon for very long.
You could re-use Pokemon though - eg. Venasaur, the Grass/Poison type, would be allowed to be used at both Erika's gym and Koga's.

Quote:
I guess you would have to make an exception to brock or something, because iirc there aren't any rocks you get before him.
Yeah, exceptions would be made if you cannot get any Pokemon of that certain type. I'm pretty sure Brock and Roxanne are the only gyms you cannot do though.

Quote:
Would you do it for the elite four too? Because you wouldn't be able to switch teams out in between battles, and you would have to have like one of each type.
I can think of three ways we could do it.

a) The challenge ends when the 8th gym leader is defeated.
b) You must use only the type of ONE of the E4 members (eg. in Sinnoh you must monotype with either Bug, Fire, Ground or Psychic).
c) You can use any of the Pokemon you have used for any of the gym battles.

Which do you think is best?

Quote:
That could prove challenging. I'd do it.
Awesome. I'll try and set the thread up later tonight.

Old Posted June 17th, 2010 (12:49 PM).
.EJ
Arrow<3
Community Supporter Tier 1

I would probably start the habitat challenge or Speed run. However I'm afraid some jackass will Photoshop their evidence to show just how "fast" they are...

Habitat sounds cool though.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links