• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

need a few question answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemon500

wanna learn how to use rpg
Years
i am planning a pokemon game about the future but i am a noob so i wanted to ask
1. what do i need to make this a real rom or is it possible
2. what should i use as a noob rpgmaker2000/2003/xp/
3. what are the main things i need to learn
thnxs in advance:D

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
You should learn how to program then make a game. Learn Java its a great beggining language: java.sun.com

If you do rm2k3 you'll use it forever and then later hate it because you wished you learned how to program.

pokemon500

Years
is there any program that runs on mac because they wont allow me to install because it is not been upgraded to the newest model but my mom windows should be here in a months.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
Well it looks like you have to program because nothing of that sort is for Mac. Learn Java.

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
TheAbsol said:
You should learn how to program then make a game. Learn Java its a great beggining language: java.sun.com

If you do rm2k3 you'll use it forever and then later hate it because you wished you learned how to program.

why dose everyone hate rpg maker 2003?

its not bad!

Im actually happy I used it!
now im making one of the pokemon best game on PC!(pokemon illusion)

Im nearly completed without a bit of coding!( actually I dont know how to code:dead: )

and it isnt a bad start!

well thats my opinon

tdata

Pokemon GX
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2009
to make it an actual rom you need to program it in ASM or C++... There is even a program for that. No clue as to it's status cuz i haven't used it since making a gba version of pacman. Have a GBA cartage for it and everything. The progarm is Catapult(sp?).
RM2K/3 is a good engine. But don't get hooked on it. Play with RMXP awhile.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
Years
o_O Is it really the best idea to tell a total n00b to learn Java *just* to make a game? It seems like it's going a bit overboard, since to learn Java properly takes time... at my university, we don't even study it until second year, when we've already gone through C and Haskell completely. If all you want to do is make a simple game, then RM2K3 is perfectly adequate... or even Sphere. XD

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
I don't know why TheAbsol consistantly puts down all the makers, they are perfectly fine- it's not as though they are asking how to get a career in gaming...

slayerseitaro

Blood Feast Island Man
Years
uhh...

Programming is not for everyone... Programming is a skill that takes time, Study, and devotion to aquire. Your not gonna be a programmer over night, and your not gonna have any fun trying to be a progremmer if you have no idea what your doing. If you tryed to learn java being the noob you are you whould get no self gradification from the simple hello world projects you whould be working on.
Java is not only to high level of a program language for a noob but its also not the best language. heres a simple hierarchy for game development...

simple programming hierarchy for game development:
C/C++
Java/Java Script/perl/python/ruby
3D Game Studio/Visual Basic 6/ROM HACKING
Game Maker (with scripting) / RPGMakers (with scripting)
Game Maker (without scripting)
RPGMakers (without scripting) / Playstation RPG Maker

I Hope this helps you... My point is start at the bottom and work your way up.

P.S: I only put the basics into this hierarchy and I only put the stuff ive uesd... (so I dont wanna hear weak minded opinoins about it)

Years
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
Lol... I don't know how you came up with that order, but it is clearly not right. Javascript is right on the top, how is this so? It's weaker than everything on that list..

*sigh* I wish Mark Overmars took out drag and drop, or highlighted GMs stronger points, because it's obvious that outside the GMC, people don't know anything about GMs ability (unless they actually used it properly [ie, made non tutorial games with it]). Oh well, when I release my game here, maybe things will change.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Aug 6, 2010
When will everyone figure it out? Have you seen anyone here switch from a game making program to a programming language?????????????????

slayersaito: Then if Java is that bad we might as well not use game making programs.

Years
  • Seen Oct 19, 2006
Um. Can this thread be closed. Its breaking all the rules, and should be properly located in the Help and Request. Its stuffing up the thread.

[_DarkDragon_]

FireDance Trainer
Years
Java ain't that hard, I've been learning it since 11th grade :P (I'm now in 12th XD)
but I agree that most games nowadays are made with C++

@GMuser: if you know how to use Java Script correctly it can be as powerful as ruby.

pokemon500

Years
thnxs everyone and i think i should start from the bottom and work my way up and dan48 you can move it if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back