• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen which one...which one?

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2008
Every time I get a new GBA Pokemon game or Restart a Pokemon game, I always have the hardest time desiding which started Pokemon I want! In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald Versionns, which one do you think I should pick next time I start a new game and why?

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
in ruby you should pick torchic in sapphire you should pick mudkip and in emerald you should pick treeko
the reason is becaue the are almost the same colour as the pokemon

Katakoe

Blah!
Years
Depends on how easy you want it.

Mudkip is a good one for beginners, its pretty good for the first 2 GYMs, and is pretty leveled throughout most of the games.

Torchic You'll have problems with in the first GYM, but it does become very powerful, especially since there aren't very many fire pokemon in the games.

Treecko Is goof for the early part of the games, but will serve some problems later on.

~cough~ But whatever works for you. ^^;

Years
spike6958 said:
in ruby you should pick torchic in sapphire you should pick mudkip and in emerald you should pick treeko

I thought dat was just a myth like the R/B/G versions

Katakoe said:
Torchic You'll have problems with in the first GYM, but it does become very powerful, especially since there aren't very many fire pokemon in the games.

Not if you evolve it and let it learn Double Kick. But you'll definitely have problems with Winona if you pick Torchic unless of course you don't use it while fighting her.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
You want Mudkip. The other two simply don't compare. Mudkip is the best starter Pokemon to date.

Mr_Smilie:)

<3 SAKURA <3
Years
This is my order:

1st Mudkip Because is very strong and good for most of the GYMs.
2nd Treecko Is good for the last few gym's and E4 but hard at start.
3rd Torchic Is really powerful but is only good for 1 E4 member and not that much GYMs.

But it is your choice wether or not you want to make the game hard or not but when i chose torchic it was a good fun challenge.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
That was hardly on topic. >_<
It's pretty pbvious how to make a thread. Just click the button that says New Thread.

Anyway, it depends which one you feel like choosing.

Lathspell

T3H GR34T WH1T3
Years
Mudkip is of course the strongest, immune to lightning and with only one weak (4x grass).
But I always choose Torchic as he is more fun to play, and more divers. With Swampert, you could finish the game and not training any other pokemon (except HM slaves), so he is quite unbeatable. Anyway, I would recomend Torchic for a bit of difficulty. Treecko sucks.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
I've always started out with the water starter Mudkip because its the cutest and in my opinon Mudkip is the strongest and the best out of them all. except when it turns Marshtomp and Swampert.

:t093:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Years
I usually go in numerical order. So if you've already used Treecko I'd say go with Torchic, especially if you like challenges.

Skitty101

Crazed Advanceshipper!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 17, 2010
For me, I usually choose Torchic or Mudkip. I used Torchic (in Emerald) battling the first gym leader (Forgot her name) and when I used Ember on her Geodude it was super effective for some reason. Must of been some kind of glitch.

I choose Mudkip in my Ruby since I didn't what to get Torchic again (restarted). Torchic is rather popular with starters. :D Mudkip is a little cutie. Strong too. Anyway hope you can finally make up your mind with your choice.

cryogenics

Enigma
Years
I've always gone with Torchic, since it naturally learns move effective against Roxanne, Brawley, Norman, Sydney, and Glacia's Pokemon.

JakeEMan

Official American Idiot
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2008
Dude, I have a LVL 100 Swampert and its praacticaly unbeatable! So I would pick Mudkip i guess!

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
:\ I'd suggest you go for either Mudkip or Torchic. Mainly because Treecko can run into a lot of problems later on in the game, but also because Mudkip can learn a few helpful HMs (Surf, Dive, Waterfall... I think).That is, if you want to... (I'm not saying it should be an HM slave, Smarties-kun -_-)
I hope that helps.;)

Last edited:

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
Kraka-chan said:
:\ I'd suggest you go for either Mudkip or Torchic. Mainly because Treecko can run into a lot of problems later on in the game, but also because Mudkip can learn a few helpful HMs (Surf, Dive, Waterfall... I think).
I hope that helps.;)
Making Swampert an HM slave is scary ;-; Why ruin such a good Pokémon with Waterfall and Dive?

Anyway... I'd pick Mudkip for the various reasons mentioned in other posts, but I also think Treecko is a good choice, especialy in Emerald, due to it being able to learn Thunderpunch there.

But Swampert is definitely the best.
What does that have to do with how well they perform in battle, or how fun it is to play with them? -.-

Years
To be honest, it doesn't matter. But, unless you want the advantage of the 1st gym leader, choose Treecko or Mudkip. I've almost always chosen Torchic. *shrugs* Just my choice.

Back