The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 9th, 2007, 03:11 AM
♠εx
Working on my hack, busy also.

Advertise here
This tutorial will show you basic ways to change tilesets in FR/LG/R/S/E.

All you will need is:
• Paint.
• AdvanceMap.
• A scetch of what you want to put in. (Max 4 colours)

Quote:
Getting the tileset.
• Open up AdvanceMap.
• Load the rom you want to edit. (Make sure it has been extracted from the zip folder)
• You cant edit a tileset on a blank screen, so you will need to open up a map.(make sure the tileset you wish to edit is inside there)
• Go to tools --> block editor.
• Click save tileset.
• Save it where you want it as a DIB.
This is what the tileset would look like(mine has been edited already)

Actually editing the tileset. (Open block editor again)
The following window should open: (note I have changed a few tiles )

The following actions are what you can do in the block editor.

1# Load or save a tileset. (There are two tilesets in each map, and are identified as tileset 1 and tileset two, to save a tileset you want is simple, Picture --> Save Tileset 1/2. 1 is the tileset that is on top in the map editor, on the right is the tiles, scroll down to the bottom and that is tileset two, you can change these as much as you want).
2# Change the pallete too the colours you want your new tiles too fit. (If you wish too edit a red pokecentre choose the red tileset, if you put it in the blue tileset it will stuff up).
List of palettes: (FR/LG)
• Green.
• Brown.
• Red.
• Blue.
• Mixture of red, blue, yellow and a few others.
• Sandish colours with a few extras.
• Different shades of blue (light)
• Just blue and black. (pallete not really used)
• Mix of orange and grey.
• Mixture of Yellow, Blue, Grey.
• Mixture of crimson, blue and a few others.
• Shades of green. (reccomended not using this one because half of it is just purple)
• Mixture of brown, blue and green.
• From then on plain black. (This would be useful if your using a pallette changer)
3# When you click on the tile you want to edit, it shows the smaller tiles that have been used to form it, you can change this with the tiles below the palette changer, and with the palette changer you can change it all together, making snowy trees or pokecentres blue.(Better explanation: In the pallete, there are the tilesets you have used, these tilesets are used to make the actual tile, you could put plain lines and make something out of it, but when changing the tilesets make sure you dont add anything extra and make sure you use the eyedropper to make it right, also when loading a tileset, if you used the greenery palette make sure you load a greenery paletted tileset. Though this works sometimes you can load it on something else, though it will change the tileset into the palette you are on. You can edit the tile by using different mini tiles as I call them)
Picture explanation:

Putting in something completely new.
• Open your tileset in paint.
• Have another paint opened with the item you wish too place in.
• Copy the item and paste it on what you want to replace, whether it's the skinny tree or the fat tree.(In this case I will put in a completely different sign)
• Put it over the item you wish to change.
• Use the eyedropper to copy it into the palette.
• Open AdvanceMap and load the rom you are editing.
• Go to Tools --> Block Editor --> Picture --> Load Tileset 1/2. (Depending on the one you wished to edit. Click the save button and reload the rom.

Picture Guide:
I will edit it a few times to make it right and correct my errors, I hope everyone understood this.

Yes, this does mean Icy Blue will be locked down, but only for a short time while I fix my bugs.

- Crashink.

Last edited by Spherical Ice; April 15th, 2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:15 PM
♠εx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brane View Post
Sorry for the double post.
Spoiler:
Make sure that you reload your rom to see if the tile is working, sometimes the colours might be wrong and all you will see is a patch of a single colour, especially with trees. Make sure to completely change the colours just in case and then put them into the palette colours too make sure you have the right tile. If this doesn't work, go back to the tileset and completely erase everything except for the main points of it. (The outline and text inside the sign) Then recolour it. Post here if you have any problems.

Essentials:
• Load the tileset and click save.
• Reload the whole rom to make sure it fits.
• Redo any tiles you did if it doesn't show up properly.(It would even be best if you made a guide for the tile. Paint it completely in different colours, red, green, orange, yellow and place a key to signify which colour is what colour on the palette.
For instance.
[] is [] on the palette.

Again sorry for the double post .

Yes, this does mean Icy Blue will be locked down, but only for a short time while I fix my bugs.

- Crashink.
Old July 15th, 2007, 06:48 PM
SerenadeDS
Trainer

This is REALY Helpful! Thank You aLOT!! I kinda got it but Ive been TRYING SO HARD to figure it out myself! But this will help alittle.. I known about most of it.. But this will help me just some more! Thank You.
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
♠εx

Thanks

Here are a few edits.

Spoiler:
When changing the colours of the tiles instead of the actual tile, like the blue house I changed to red be weary that it can stuff up the tiles altogether. The next time you open the rom or in a few minutes of changing it and going to another map your tile can stuff up and turn different colours from what you chose, this also appears in the game time to time. Just to warn you.

Spoiler:
When changing a tile make sure that you don't change a tile that is very important in the game, the five green tiles that make up the ground are all used, if you change it into something solid it will show up on the rest of your tiles, and the tile will be included in the grass. You might find pieces of houses everywhere.

Spoiler:
Make sure that you NEVER create extra spaces on a tilesit but getting the size of a tile and pulling down the bottom of the tileset to make extra spaces, it WILL ruin the tiles.

Spoiler:
If you want to change anything that needs to be in the tileset, make sure you experiment with another copy. Or if you wish to change the colours of the tiles use a palette editor, tutorials are around here

That about does it.

- Crashink.
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:51 AM
bxela1
Jirachi's number 1 fan

What version advance map is that?

Also, mine is only semi-translated and I can't read german. So if you know of a full english version, that would be great.

WATCH THIS SPACE!
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:33 AM
♠εx

This is for AdvanceMap 8.1 and 8.2

To download these go to http://www.studiopokemon.com

Click on the "English" Icon, and scroll down, there should be a link in the navigation saying Tools. You can get all the tools you need from there.

- Crashink.
Old July 20th, 2007, 06:29 AM
gag15
POkemon Master

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to gag15
I dont get this i want to add new buildings, trees,grass,etc.. but when i follow the direction it messes up all the tiles!

by the way im using emerald
John 3:16

MY site
http://www.freewebs.com/pokemonbluesapphire
Old July 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Bel-Air
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brane View Post
This is for AdvanceMap 8.1 and 8.2

Click on the "English" Icon, and scroll down, there should be a link in the navigation saying Tools. You can get all the tools you need from there.
I dont see english button.
Old July 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM
♠εx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag15 View Post
I dont get this i want to add new buildings, trees,grass,etc.. but when i follow the direction it messes up all the tiles!

by the way im using emerald
Like I said, you can extend the tileset because it will destroy all tiles basically, but if you want to add a new building, look through the tileset and copy down what it has. If your replacing the little house on tileset 1, open the tileset and see what tiles it has there as you can see it doesn't just have the building, it has the tile used to make it. Make sure your using the eyedropper tool to get the right colours. I'll show a picture of what to do when I have the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel-Air View Post
I dont see english button.
When you go to Studiopokemon, just click on any link and at the top their should be a little box where a salamence picture is, click on it.

Edit:
Heres the guide for gag15.

Yours might look different but this is simply a guide, though don't edit it too much.
Finished Product:

- Crashink.

Last edited by ♠εx; July 20th, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
Old July 29th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Darkrai64
Pokemon expert trainer

Here's a link to download the complete hack package.

http://www.freewebs.com/birminstudios
Old July 29th, 2007, 10:03 AM
foullump
Rom Hacking Guru

Nature: Calm
Well, this was very useful. Really one of it's uses was getting me to actually try to edit my tiles. And now, I have my own awesome trees! Thanks Brane!
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Latieon
ULTIMATE Mapper

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Latieon
really interesting and helpful post.It really helped me to edit some tiles for my hack.Thanks to brane
Old August 2nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
♠εx

[Update]

Creating New Tiles:
Spoiler:
There is one trick in AdvanceMap that is very helpful, but it requires patience.
In the games there are some tilesets that are just wierd glitched tiles. You can easily make them into tiles you want. The tilesets usually are after 50.
• Choose the display grid option in block editor. (Only in newer versions)
• Save the tileset.
• Open it up in paint, there should be all these sqaures with tiles in them. If you load it again the lines from the squares will actually show up in the tile.
• Delete everything inside all the squares. Now you should have a tileset with nothing but squares.
• Get the tile you want, it could even be a new house without the struggle of placing the tiles in the correct order. It could even be a massive building you couldn't make on an original tileset.
• Copy it, and paste it into your tileset. Arrange it so that it fits into the tiles without a little bit overlapping anywhere.
• Add anything else you need in the tileset and load it. But remember at the end to delete all the rest of the lines.

You should have your own building complete there, but the bit about patience comes in now.

You have to order and arrange all the tiles yourself. Sorry, but thats the way it has to be .

Screenshots will be added soon.

- Crashink.

Last edited by ♠εx; August 2nd, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Fixing up.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM
mackoo
Trainer

Nature: Adamant
OMG - I dont know how can I go to TILESET after 50 - can you post some screenshots please?
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Pat Dude
I think, therefore I am.

When I open the rom, I get this message:
"1/0 error 87"
What the HELL does that mean?
Old August 30th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Monkey In Rehab
Spritee

Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
♠εx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackoo View Post
OMG - I dont know how can I go to TILESET after 50 - can you post some screenshots please?
When you open your rom go into a map and click the header view, make sure that it isn't in professional header view. They're should be a tileset section at the bottom. Make sure you've erased your tileset of all the second tilesets tiles. Replace the number with a different one. Hopefully it will work now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Dude View Post
When I open the rom, I get this message:
"1/0 error 87"
What the HELL does that mean?
Either you didn't install AM properly or the rom is corrupt. I'm not the creator so I wouldn't know .

- Crashink.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 11:16 AM
DarkShadow
When darkness falls

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DarkShadow
DUDE I WANT TO ADD DP HOUSE AND POKEMON CENTERS IN TO MY GAME CAN U TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT CUSAE I FOLLOW UR TUTORIAL AND MT GAME GOT MESSED SO PLEASE TELL ME AND OTHER WAYY PLEASE FOR HOW TO DO IT RIGHT THANKS
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:05 PM
Milanor
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by xx1hacker1xx View Post
DUDE I WANT TO ADD DP HOUSE AND POKEMON CENTERS IN TO MY GAME CAN U TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT CUSAE I FOLLOW UR TUTORIAL AND MT GAME GOT MESSED SO PLEASE TELL ME AND OTHER WAYY PLEASE FOR HOW TO DO IT RIGHT THANKS
First switch the capslock off ~,~
The Am Tileset Editing methode is the worst way to change the tilesets.
It works, but you have a good chance to crash your rom, because of the file size at the import step.
Use the unLZ GBA methode to change your tilesets, its saver and easier. You may need to run/make a "deep scan" and you have to do all in B/W (it can be with the right palette to but its a bit hard)
but when you write the stuff back to your rom you can give the tileset a new offset (when your going to wright your tileset back to the rom, give the tileset a new empty "image Offset") and thats the problem of the AM methode.
By inserting things you can overwright stuff that make your game messed up.

@♠εx:
sry to say that ".
Old September 23rd, 2007, 09:11 PM
♠εx

Could someone please lock down this thread and my palette editting thread.

Thanks.

- Crashink.
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
DarkShadow
When darkness falls

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DarkShadow
ok ill try that was but how do i fint the mart and the pokecenter
Old June 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
hydy
Beginning Trainer

it took me some time to understand, but hey! i got it! yeahh!
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:05 PM
joshywosh123
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxela1 View Post
What version advance map is that?

Also, mine is only semi-translated and I can't read german. So if you know of a full english version, that would be great.
hey, advance map 1.92 is out... and im pretty sure its fully in english....
so just search it up in google, and hopefully you can find lu-ho's page...
then select programs, and advance map 1.92, and the link for download should come up
:D :D :D
Old February 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
joshywosh123, while I appreciate that you're trying to help, this thread is outdated and the person you're trying to help hasn't been online in almost two years. So yeah, I'm going to close this since there are newer tutorials on the same subject.

Closed

Brother of Vrai
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here