The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 28th, 2007 (07:21 PM).
Dachampster
Trainer

Adventures are cliché'd too much, so you must spice things up a bit, with master plots, and sub-plots, and obstacles, mental and physical. Make it something original. And I heard that you got inspired by... some fanfic, so I guess I could help too. Remember, if it's cliché, it's not too original. So make it something special, I have high hopes of it.
Old August 2nd, 2007 (04:27 PM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
Heh, thanks for the tips. I made a sub plot, luckily. I think with some time and thinking I could make another one. But once I finish the Hoenn league part I could incorporate a new...not gym seeking plot...

*edit* I came up with an idea.

I also sometimes add a bit of medical drama genre in a few chapters. I've always been interested in medicine, and I tried to make the parts fast paces so that it wouldn't get boring.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Click Below for The Awesome Treecko/Grovyle/Sceptile Club
Older Fic banner by Scenice.
Old Fic banner by Sammi-Chan.
New Fic banner by Scenice
Banner and avatar by Anastasia R.
Old August 2nd, 2007 (05:16 PM).
Dachampster
Trainer

A master plot?

take mine for example.
Sub-plot: Champ is stranded in the middle of the desert, with Treecko still missing...
Master plot: Dach is trying to take over Orre, but something is trying to make him remember what his original objective was...

Read mine a little more closely to see what I mean.
Old August 10th, 2007 (04:46 PM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Send a message via AIM to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Grovyle42(Griff8416) Send a message via Yahoo to Grovyle42(Griff8416)
I'm thinking of posting the first chapter very soon but I'm feeling a bit self conscious. I'll get to it sometime, by the end of tomorrow.
PC Family so far: Cousin - ScytheMaster, Awesomest Sister - Diamondpearl876, Brother - Rebellious Treecko (PM one of us if you want to join it)

------------
Old August 11th, 2007 (06:18 AM).
Enperuto
Lurking Connoisseur

Send a message via AIM to Enperuto
Really all journeyfics have 'master plots', so I'd recommend not doing it for once, and just have one sub-plot. In the traditional, real-world sense, where a sub-plot is like a romantic interest or something that parallels the main action of the character and climaxes a bit before the main plot climaxes.

Signature under construction.
Old August 11th, 2007 (06:25 AM). Edited August 11th, 2007 by Grovyle42(Griff8416).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Oh, I did do that. I'm only really doing the whole 'conquer the gym' thing in the first part because I needed to get my character up and moving. Plus it added to action and character developement. I'm definately going to edit and add more substance to part one than just that. And I already wrote the "conquer the gyms" thing so it's too late to delete it without scrubbing the rest of my story.

I have a question: How long should one wait in between posting chapters?

------------
Old August 12th, 2007 (07:48 AM).
Enperuto
Lurking Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovyle42(Griff4815) View Post
Oh, I did do that. I'm only really doing the whole 'conquer the gym' thing in the first part because I needed to get my character up and moving. Plus it added to action and character developement. I'm definately going to edit and add more substance to part one than just that. And I already wrote the "conquer the gyms" thing so it's too late to delete it without scrubbing the rest of my story.

I have a question: How long should one wait in between posting chapters?
A week is usually the minimum. And those that do it (I included) usually have shorter chapters with more errors. Of course, that's with the 'post as you write' mentality. If you have it all written and partially revised / do that before you post, a week would be good, but not fewer. Even time periods and consistent days for posting chapters are musts.

Old August 13th, 2007 (07:57 PM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Are you sure a week isn't too long? Wouldn't the story be swept into page 2 by then?

------------
Old August 13th, 2007 (08:48 PM).
Astinus
Remember NovEnder

Yeah, but if you post every two or three days that means that you have three new chapters in a week. And let's say that your readers all have school/work/other activities that keeps them busy during the week. They'll fall behind trying to read all your chapters. It's much easier to post once a week, making sure that the majority of your readers will have a week to read and review.

Besides, I know many writers who take months to write a chapter. xD Their stories do get pushed down, buried under the new threads, but their readers come back for more. It's worth the wait. Your chapters will have a good quality to them because you can take the time to edit them and possibly improve them based on the reviews of your readers.

*cough* Ranger O'Brien, I'm waiting for your chapter. >0
Old August 14th, 2007 (06:25 AM).
Grovyle42(Griff8416)
No. 1 Grovyle Fan
Community Supporter

Ok, I suppose I can quell my impatience for a few more days.

------------
Old August 14th, 2007 (10:11 AM).
Enperuto
Lurking Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanako Tabris View Post
Yeah, but if you post every two or three days that means that you have three new chapters in a week. And let's say that your readers all have school/work/other activities that keeps them busy during the week. They'll fall behind trying to read all your chapters. It's much easier to post once a week, making sure that the majority of your readers will have a week to read and review.

Besides, I know many writers who take months to write a chapter. xD Their stories do get pushed down, buried under the new threads, but their readers come back for more. It's worth the wait. Your chapters will have a good quality to them because you can take the time to edit them and possibly improve them based on the reviews of your readers.

*cough* Ranger O'Brien, I'm waiting for your chapter. >0
Agreed. Most people that write have to have lives to write characters well, eventually they'll become really flat if they have no real life people and events to use. That said, most people also have other commitments.

*cough* I just posted it.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links