1. Load a ROM and find a tileset to use as a reference (as in: The tiles you want to use).
2. Go to the map with the tiles you want to change. ; I'll be using R/S/E's Little root town. Lets look at the tile I want to change...(I used a patch for the tiles I have now. Don't worry, it won't affect the outcome!):
I'm going to edit the stuff inside the black box.
Remember to export using pallete 1, 2, or 4.
3. Now, you'll see a drop down box. It has many pallets. Use 1, 2 or 4. Then go to Picture then save tileset (1 or 2; whichever your editing.)
4. Start --> All programs --> Accessories --> Paint. Now click File --> open. Now open the tileset you saved, and paste your tileset your going to replace the ones you want with.
5. Now recolor the tileset part you want to place into the ROM to the color of the part you want to replace and place it OVER the old section.
6. For transparent parts, pick the dark blue color that surrounds most tiles.
7. Here's what it should look like (In Paint):
8. Now, go back to advance map and hit "load tileset (number you just edited)".
9. Alas, were almost done! Hit Picture --> Reload blocks, and watch the tileset change!
The blue around the new tiles means it can be placed anywhere.
My friends: DP Master, Spenceroone3, Hiidoran, Destinedjagold.
My family. I am twins with Spenceroon3 .
Best friend(S): ___________
Brother(s): Gotron228, Godot
Twin (Coin3 can get triplets though as well): Spenceroone3
Best enemy(s): Kid Nino
No offence, but your tutorial is very basic. Why you posted this when there are already two others I have no clue.
There are many things that you left out. For one, you never mentioned that the 8x8 tiles need to be properly alligned with the other ones. You also say just to place new tiles over old ones, when you should really say to black out the desired area with the background color (Dark Blue, in this case), then place the desired (and recolored) tile in the cleared out area, making sure it is properly alligned.
No offense, but it seems like you summed up what is in my and ♠εx's threads, and left out info.
I just have to say, that this guide is crap. Ive been changing tiles scince I started hacking. Your guide doesn't explain all that people need to know. And it is NOT "FLAWLESS." The best way to change Tilesets is with unLZ.
♠εx's and Дон Пач's guides are wayy better. But the best way is to learn on your own. I just think this guide needs ALOT of work.