The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old October 29th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Perpetr8r

Well the icons are all in dmi form, which is BYOND's form of icon. However, they can be simply copied and pasted into any graphical program from BYOND (since they are stored as bitmaps in the dmi files). So yeah, if you don't mind downloading BYOND, I don't mind sharing the icons (provided you keep them to yourself/poke island, since these icons were ripped by my hard working friends). If the file doesn't end up too big, I can email them to you.

Old October 29th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Kine
Whatev

Fair enough. I'll let you know when I download it, which may be a while now the the weekdays have started again.

I support the Nidoran - Nido Family Union. Do you?
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Kine
Whatev

Bumpty

Alright, a couple of weeks later and now I've downloaded BYOND.

Now what happens? Also, I remembered I would need those PMD sprites. It occured to me again one day when I was doing more sprites and was like "wait... I don't know how this guy looks at this angle". I think it was Pinsir. =\

By the by, I think someone by the name of Mr.Accident at Starmen.net is working on some sorta battle BG extractor/editor something like that. That'll definately help with what I was meaning to do for the last battle if all works out. Just thought I'd mention that considering how I was talking about that for a while.

Old November 13th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Perpetr8r

Well... BYOND has two features once installed. The first is dream seeker, which allows you to play BYOND games, such as the one in my signature. The other one is Dream Maker, which is the games making part. I'm uh... well it's been over 24 hours since I last slept so I'm kind of dizzy and not thinking straight so I think I'll go lie down now. I'll send you those sprites soon... but they are only 4 directional (just a warning)

Old November 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Kine
Whatev

Okay. I may have a chance to fiddle with it this weekend. Hopefully it's not a contrived program. Also, the 4 directions shouldn't be a problem... except where they will be (uh oh, Gyarados >_>). If I know where to find them in game (or some sort code to change the main character), then I can get the rest.

Old November 16th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Perpetr8r

I've sent you the files. Sorry 'bout the lag time, it's the build up to exams and I'm pretty much flat-out studying.

Last edited by Perpetr8r; November 17th, 2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Lady Berlitz
Cinnamon ♪

Nature: Adamant
This is looking incredible, Kine. Actually, like Avatar said, this is one of the better looking projects on the board that has been coming up recently, so I wish you look with this. And, is this supposed to resemble Mystery Dungeon, because it looks a great deal like it!
██_______██
_█▲▲▲▲▲▲▲█_
_█████████_
_██_____██_
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Kine
Whatev

Perp- No prob. Still not in any stage to code anything yet, uh... well just so you have something to do, though, tell me if tilesets are anything like RM, and if it's more or less flexable.

I plan on creating full maps, and then either importing it straight or chopping it into pieces because there's too much structure in the enviroments to just have tiles haphazardly placed all over. Especially when it comes to lining stuff up. On top of that, the game moves on a pixel by pixel basis, so I can't have everything uniformly in tiles like a traditional Pokemon game anyway.

Improfane- I actually have both ModPlug Tracker and Fruityloops, but I'm still no composer by and large. The only songs I've made was a sort of Panel de Pon esque panic song just incase I ever got around to creating a sort of PdP using later PI series characters, and a remix of the Insane level of Kirby Star Stacker, but they're far from useable quality.

I'm more than likely gonna hire a musician anyway for the several tracks I need specially composed. I'm not too worried about a full ST, though, as s/he probably doesn't have that kind of time and I know I don't have that kind of money.

And the girl thing... it never fails. There's been plently of people who otherwise had me mistaken.

Esmas - Thanks for the compliments. If anything, though, PMD resembles this (not entirely). PI existed long before then. It's closer to EarthBound, though, and in my own twisted way is related to the MOTHER series, not to a point where I'd label it a MOTHER (fan)game, but more than just some winks and refs.

It's a tie in I can get away with, though, considering R/G/B/Y was actually indeed inspired by the MOTHER games but I think beyond that it became it's own thing (considering G/S/C and up seems like a whole different ballpark), Creatures Inc once being Ape Inc, Hirokazu Tanaka, Benimaru Itoh, etc...

Old November 18th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Perpetr8r

In RPGMaker, you import tilesets and they are auto broken-up for you, and you can only set certain values for them. In DM, you make your own turfs completely from scratch, and can give them any kinds of attributes you can code. You can also make turfs which are subsets of other turfs and inherit all of their basic functionalities plus more.

For example, you can make a water turf (which is only passable by water/flying Pokemon) and make a deep water turf which is the same as water, but can also be dived in. Or, without making a sub-turf you could make a secret wall doof turf which is completely different to your wall turf but has the same icon. You can even have turfs based off of turfs based off of turfs... like, well I can't imagine why you'd go that far but it's doable.

Maaaan... pixel by pixel collisions are gonna be a pain in the ass. I'm going to start looking up some libraries for it on the BYOND site and doing a few test programs to get used to it before I try implementing anything. Pixel movement shouldn't be too hard, but yeah unless you intend to have the entire tile of the ground be collide-able I'ma have to figure something out...

Old November 19th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Kine
Whatev

Wait, don't. Not yet.

It's getting icreasingly harder to choose which engine I want to use in the long run. What I need to do is have a sort of pros and cons list of both, and see which of the two has the pros outweigh the cons, or if that doesn't happen, which has less cons.

I think you've done this already with BYOND, at least some pros, but now I'm gonna try to see it side by side.

~RPGMaker~
Pros:
- Since most people use it, there's more support for it.

Cons:
- Sucks with sprite allowance. I absolutely need to have a lot of sprite allowance.

~BYOND~
Pros:

Cons:
- No MP3 support (music conversion's gonna take a lot of time, and I don't even know if the OGGs will even play on a person's computer who doesn't have a method of playing it...like mine)

Okay the list is thin, I forgot a lot of stuff. Both forgot and just don't know. A potential con for BYOND, though... do you have to sign up to play games or can you create an executable file? I know I'm gonna lose some people if they gotta sign up just to play it. Then again, in a way I guess that keeps the program more secure.

It's reasons like the above as to why I can't come to any definate conclusions. I'm going to go back to spriting now. It's a safe mindless task. ^_^;

... well there's always Game Maker... '~'

Last edited by Kine; November 19th, 2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old November 20th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Perpetr8r

Well, no worries about the pixel thing, I didn't get time for it thanks to exams. IN any case, I BELIEVE that you can create an exe using BYOND which allows people to run the game just fine without ever downloading the BYOND files, and I know there's an option that allows people to play without creating an account.

It's probably best if you play with BYOND a bit if you want to make that list. I can tell you stuff but it's not necessarily going to be a pro or con to you. If you personally do it you'll surely get a good idea of if you want to mess with it or not.

Old November 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Kine
Whatev

Cool. Does it come with tutorials? I think I mentioned it before but one of the suckier things about RM was that it barely had documentation. I can't just jump into a product, I gotta read up on it and do side by side projects, that is, a tutorial.

You don't know how long it took me to figure out why tilesets weren't importing right in RMXP. No docs, and apparently no one ever tells you the FULL explaination on forums. -_-

Soooo, help me avoid 2-4 weeks of trial and error, please?

Old November 20th, 2007, 03:38 PM
The Dash
Hurr.

Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
Nature: Timid
Send a message via AIM to The Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Dash
I'm pretty sure that Rpg Maker XP has a very large Sprite Allowance dude.. But I've been out of it for a while.
Old November 20th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Perpetr8r

Yep, BYOND has tons of tutorials, including the thing I used to get started, the DM guide (I would link but again I don't have enough freaking posts >_>). Anyway, you can find the DM guide and many other resources if you go to the BYOND games page and click "Create Games" in the sidebar on the left. Also, players make their own tutorials and libraries, so you'll often have the code you need already made for you, which is pretty handy.

Old November 21st, 2007, 06:36 AM
Kine
Whatev

Cool beans. I'll give it a go sooner or later.

Dash- Yeah... if you can make a code for it. And even then it's gotta be compatible with everything else. That's the main problem. Remember, by sprite allowance I don't mean size, I mean quanity (trust me, I know for a fact there's going to be a scene where a character has about 30+ sprites in an event you'll see all of one time). And you only have a few self switches.

And every character is different. Pikachu's walk is four frames total, but Pidgey's hop only three. Tauros probably five... Stuff like that, I don't want to have to be tied down to a standard.

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Perpetr8r

Did you get the gajillion icons I sent? I forgot to ask about that...

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll just assume you did

Last edited by Perpetr8r; December 18th, 2007 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Short term memory loss?
Old December 24th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Kine
Whatev

Yeah, I got them. Sorry for not mentioning that. I know you've gotten the email message, and I got your reply on that, too.

Otherwise...

Well, people, I edited the first page with information regarding a Creative Worlds update on this. Again, it's not a ploy to get people to go, it's because I don't see a need to write everything up again here when nothing is really going on, here.

Old December 25th, 2007, 08:25 AM
изм
Gym Leader

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to изм Send a message via Yahoo to изм Send a message via Skype™ to изм
Well the intro and the storyline is quite superb

Old December 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Renagadez
Skillful samurai

Send a message via AIM to Renagadez
You have caught my attention,normally I would just breeze through all these "never will be finished" pokemon games but yours stuck out to me,I love your idea of fusing the style of Mother games and put pokemon with it.And the concept is great :3 you imspire me to continue on an old project.I used the same mother style...but dont worry it wasnt pokemon. I just wanted to say you have my full support im rootin for yah
Old December 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Kine
Whatev

Nah, it's going to be finished, the absolute worst I believe will happen is that I'll end up settling for a super rush job. I'd have to literally be dead for me not to do the things I want to get done (it's all for the same reason I do everything on my sites... no one else is).

But yeah, I already know the stigma of RPG ideas never getting completed, I tend to recommend people don't get started on anything unless they really know how much of their personal time and talents (and even stuff they may not know) it's going to take. This one may not be finished for a long time but that's up to everyone else's discretion if they keep in contact with this or not, I'm not going to send out reminders or anything. That's not to say I won't make an announcement of completion, but it'll probably be small.

Old December 28th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Perpetr8r

Having made some games before, I know the level of commitment that has to go in. It's not such a surprise that many people drop their RPGs before they reach even halfway completion, given how much effort they take. This one shouldn't be too much trouble though, judging by what I've seen. It seems fairly manageable, unlike my personal projects!

Old December 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Kine
Whatev

Actually, I sorta thought the same. I looked at how involved some RPGs are with all sorts of extras like fishing or... hmm. It's not coming to me now but a lot of RPGs have so much little stuff to actually do that you'd have to know how to program in.

EarthBound's system always seemed extremely simple in comparision, save for the rolling HP and the Battle Backgrounds, which is actually some sort of mathematical program running that. Otherwise, you walk, talk, and beat people up. Everything is in the story, not in how many extras you can cram into one game.

That's why I can't see this being cancelled. It's just too darn simplistic. Again, the worst that'll happen is I get frustrated, and it's just full of imperfections and I have to leave out a lot of special cutscenes/reduce the sprite amount to only what is absolutely necessary. In fact, I could probably do the bare minimum and get this done within half a year (or maybe longer, depending on sprites), but that would be lame.

When it comes down to it, the only things outside of the gameplay that the game would need is a way to make characters slide on ice tiles (like Pokemon, in that they don't stop until they hit an object, and as far as RMXP goes, I have a source for that), an underwater air meter/counter, wind to blow characters around (slightly), overworld objects that can do damage (damage tiles I guess) like touching fire, and a sort of bestiary, except that it's really specific and only records certain characters after certain conditions are met (so it doesn't even have anything to do with fighting anyone).

The last thing actually seems like the only really difficult thing to implement. Probably the building of rather than the conditionals, though.

I am also contemplating whether or not I should do a slot machine. I didn't before and it's kinda of pointless, but EarthBound/MOTHER 3 sort of have one. And as far as games go, in M3, Lucas can play video games but only as something to watch him do. You hear all sorts of sound effects as he's frantically playing, just for him to end up defeated and embarassed. Neat extra touch, though. I'm thinking about just going that route, in that I really cannot see the need for a slots game in this game. If anything, it's just a throwback to Game Corner. Eh, that's a last minute detail I may or may not add in when everything else is finished.

Last edited by Kine; December 30th, 2007 at 02:41 PM.
Old December 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM
thompson
Beginning Trainer

Oh so this is going to have every pokemon? Or just the newer ones?
Old December 31st, 2007, 12:26 AM
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
If you look at the first post, he said it will only include the RBY ones, ie the first 151.

Have you tried RMXP.org for scripts? They might have something you need.
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:44 AM
Perpetr8r

I almost wish I knew RMXP better, because you seem to be pretty set on using it, Kine. All of those things are doable, but it would be so much easier for me to work with a familiar system as opposed to learning everything again. Oh well, guess I'll just go with whatever.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links