The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 26th, 2005 (02:10 PM).
~Ozy~
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
Well, as with all things online, the quality of role-play tends to come and go. And yes, there is a reason I posted this here instead of in the RP Lounge, namely that the Lounge tends to be overlooked. However, if either of the mods feel this is not a good reason, feel free to move it. I just used my best judgement as to what would attract the most attention. Anyways, back to what this is all about: a list of bad habits that all RPrs, old and new (myself included) should attempt to avoid. This is not meant against anyone in particular, just a few things that I would like to see people make an effort to correct.

The Slapdash Character: Try to spend a decent length of time writing a new character. I try to take at LEAST 15 minutes, 20-30 for ones I intend to reuse. Believe me, a hastily-thrown together character shows, and they aren't much fun to RP as or with. If you're reusing a character, modifying them to the RP is an obvious move, but also try to correct the things you found made them less fun to play as in previous RPs.

The Cliche Character: Yes, we've all been there, particularly when we start RPing. But theses are characters such as the Cynical Mercenary, the Angsty But Still Good Demon, the Warrior With A Tragic Past, etc. etc. Yes, these can be fun characters to play at times, but they're incredibly common and it's nice to see an RPr take the effort to come up with something out of the ordinary. I'm guilty of creating and using such characters myself, but I try to avoid it.

The One-Liner: I disagree with the decision to enforce a four-line/one-paragraph rule in the RP forums because circumstances do arise where such a rule is, quite simply, inane and actually DETRACTS from post quality (this is especially true in drawn-out conversations), but it's nice to see people make the effort to add as much detail as possible.

The No-setting Plot: You can have gobs of plot in an RP, I mean, and immensely detailed, drawn-out affair, but what about the setting? What season is it? Is it mountainous? Humid? Does it snow almost year-round? Is it far to the north, or equatorial? All these things effect the setting of the plot. Like, if it's far to the north or south, the seasons won't be as diverse, and the days and nights, much longer, depending on the season. The Araura Borealis (or Astraulias) will show up too. Is it a rich county or a poor one? Densely populated? All of this is important.

The Not-applicable-to-element Character (applies to elemental RPs only): I know I spoke against cliched characters earlier, but if your character has control of a specific element, they're HIGHLY likely (read: certainly) to reflect traits of it in their personalities. So a water-element mage isn't going to be hasty or reckless, as those are traits given to the fire-element. Similarly, a light-element character isn't going to be a hyper-depressive cutter.

The Optional Personality: This is a personal pet peeve of mine. I HATE seeing the Personality in an RP sign-up made an option. It should, in my opinion, be a required field, along with Appearance, Name, Gender, Race and Age. There's a good reason for all this, there's a good reason for a Personality field, namely that it give you a way to force your character to act. Real people don't simply skip around from emotion to emotion, they typically have a set group of reactions and emotions. So should your character. Even better is a history that agrees with this, e.g., a happy-go-lucky, carefree character isn't going to see their parents brutally murdered in front of them when they were six.

The Punctuation And Capitilization: Put them in, and put them in right. Proper nouns, new sentences, acronyms, and "I," all get a capital. Spaces after commas, periods, question marks, semicols, etc. etc. Study the rules of punctuation and commit them to memory.

The Post That Obviously Didn't Get Read Over: I'll admit that I've done this too, when a lot of people are RPing and I'm trying to keep up, or when dinner's almost on and I'm rushed, but in general, read over each post for typos. Because typos are annoying.

Alright, that's what I personally would like to see improved upon. Just a helpful (hopefully) little list.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old June 26th, 2005 (03:37 PM).
Chibi-chan
The Freshmaker!
Community Supporter

Nature: Mild
I hate the clitche Rpers.....but this is because of a past event in my life i wish not to reveal yet XD. you also forgot the godly RPers...

/ / ////
Old June 26th, 2005 (03:38 PM).
Kratos
ghostofsparta

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kratos Send a message via Yahoo to Kratos
O, I despise godly rpers. They are also extremly demanding too.
Old June 26th, 2005 (05:30 PM).
Kurosaki

It's fine here, as long as it doesn't start any flaming, which I hope you guys are mature enough to avoid that.

Quote:
The One-Liner: I disagree with the decision to enforce a four-line/one-paragraph rule in the RP forums because circumstances do arise where such a rule is, quite simply, inane and actually DETRACTS from post quality (this is especially true in drawn-out conversations), but it's nice to see people make the effort to add as much detail as possible.
If you haven't noticed, this one isn't enforced as strongly as the others. You have your opinion on the subject, but if you have one line, there isn't quality to begin with. I know it's supposed to be quality > quantity, but I recieved numerous complaints before the rule was made about the posts of some being too short.
Old June 27th, 2005 (10:01 AM).
~Ozy~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
I agree with the case there, and I do see that it is not as strictly enforced, but I don't think making a rule of it has helped much. If a GM wants to enforce their own rule about it, I'm fine with that, but as an overall rule, it can be unfair to new RPrs and again, detract from post quality at times.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old June 27th, 2005 (12:06 PM).
Raichu Master
...who?

Location: Good question...somewhere around here...I think... o.O
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Raichu Master
I just want to point out one irony to you, Jake. Two of your favorite novel characters a cliche's...Drizzt is a good drow elf. Artemis is a deadly assassin with a dark past and is equally as cunning as a drow.

Just wanted to draw your attention to that. But as you said, they can be quite fun to role-play every now and then.

Here are a few more I can think of:

Diversity: Character's that reflect ones personality and looks are ok in some, but not in a lot. It took a while for me to figure that out. I would spend an hour developing a guy that was simpler to me. Why? Cause I didn't want to put the hard work into challenging myself. Instead one should try to rp a character that doesn't reflect yourself, so therefore it's more challenging because you have to think what the character would do and not yourself.

Character Creation: There are a lot of crudy characters. To name some of mine: Johann, Johann, Johann, John. Yes they all are the same thing...but they were different guys. One don't name each of your characters by the same name. I found out how rediculous it is. Two, this goes along the lines of what TAD was saying. The easiest way to find out if your character is good is look at your profile, read over it. And see if you'd want to read about it in a novel. If you wouldn't, chances are it isn't very good.

I have a few other ones but they're boarding flaming...so...I can't add them.

Member of:
Anime Watchers Club
Romance Anime and Manga Club
Old June 27th, 2005 (12:24 PM).
Chikara
Toucher of Butts
Community Supporter

Nature: Serious
i hate RP'rs who want the RP to be about them...shouldnt this be in the RP lounge...?0.o

Old June 27th, 2005 (12:33 PM).
Miyu-chan
.::f l o w e r g i r l::.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Miyu-chan Send a message via Yahoo to Miyu-chan
Sometimes in fast pased RPs, I make my character out-going in order to make it easier to keep up w/ the story line. =/ But I don't like it that much.

And sometimes... the characters that people make get way~~ out of character. *applies to fiction also* >"<; But I really dislike seeing obvious spelling/grammar mistakes in RP posts. o.x;

l Paired -MegaDitto l Evil sidekick - Ninja Retsu l Evil Twin -Hiyori-chan l

Old June 27th, 2005 (12:35 PM).
~Ozy~

I know, I know RM. Welcome to the idiosyncracies of my life.

I know, Miyu, I know... Though I've done it myself... But I try to save it for when something life-changing happens. and then they get a personality revamp, a la Chaos.

I explained the reasons why I put this in ORP in my first post, and Yukito okay'd it being here, so...

Old June 28th, 2005 (11:57 AM).
Shiney
Sometimes, we come back!

Nature: Lonely
Yes, this is all great. Some of it I do myself, mainly because I'm lazy, but if people want to have a far better RPing experience, this should be taken to heart. I think it deserves a sticky.
Old June 28th, 2005 (06:49 PM).
Kurosaki

If you want it stickied, it's going in the lounge. All topics like this are stickied here besides the rules. (Yes, the ratings are rules as well >>)
Old June 29th, 2005 (10:57 AM).
ThEoNeAnDoNlY555
They call me..."Darkness"

Send a message via AIM to ThEoNeAnDoNlY555 Send a message via Yahoo to ThEoNeAnDoNlY555
I believe this should be stickied in "Other RP", not the lounge.This because many new RPers would not look in the lounge before posting here, but most will read through the stickys here before posting, and if this is here then they will get to see it.
Old June 29th, 2005 (03:46 PM).
Kurosaki

I've actually been thinking of making a thread here in ORP that contain helpful links to threads to may help them from the lounge, so how about I just do that? I'm trying to keep everything organized >> XD
Old June 29th, 2005 (04:57 PM).
~Ozy~

I really don't care, if you think this would be helpful, by all means, include it, if not, eh, whatever. Just keep it open, this is by no means all-inclusive, and I'd like to see it added to.

Old April 2nd, 2006 (06:14 PM).
Karmillina
would kill for cookies

Well, I hate the Godly players or Speshulness!players, they get me on my nerves.

~Siblings: charizard_maa, Chuchino
Old April 2nd, 2006 (06:22 PM).
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
Um, isn't this a little late/almost in the wrong section? o_o;

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.
Old April 2nd, 2006 (06:34 PM).
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote:
I thought Two-liners were just as bad Ozy.

And anyway, you forgot this.

History doesn't match up?:If your character had a bad past, such as abuse, neglect, or murdering of parents before very eyes, then they'll have to attone to that. Your character is probably going to be at least partially scarred by these childhood events. So in other words, if your character had a bad history, they won't exactly be the most ditzy, most bubbly cheerleader at school.

And to add to that, even people who just try to be nice with the bad pasts who act all dramatic behind the scenes bug me out. I hope I'm not guilty of doing so, but it still bugs me out when they're perky and cheerful around people and depressed and thinking of suicide when by themselves. >=O It makes me angrah!

And I'll type this one up as well.

Gods:You're not a demi-god, or a god. You don't have control over every single player's character in the RP unless you ask permission to play their characters, and use your common sense to find out that you can only use them when the creator tells you you can do so. Powerplaying is a no-no, and is when you control another person's character without their permission.

(And yet no matter how many times I see RPers flame others for Powerplaying, I still see newbs stumble in and powerplay.)

Dialect Only: (I'm guilty of this.) Nobody wants to see a post that's just quotes and 'She said' or 'He said'. Description is what makes a post less boring to read. You could add something like 'She exclaimed' even to make it ever so slightly more amusing to read. Really long posts are easier to skip, but it makes it ever the worse when the long post is really nothing but dialect. If it's just dialect, I usually just skip them even if they're less then 5 lines. It's just boring to read.

Stickies:They're there for a reason. Read them. They help. (Why else are they at the top of the page my friends?)

I'm not sure if this is what you meant by you 'skipping of the postage' thing at the top, but I interpretted it in a different way then I'm posting it now.

Skipping:When you skip someone else's post, you often get details wrong, such as where the other character is, in what position, or sometimes what they're doing at the present moment. Sometimes these minor details can make all the difference, and even though it may get ridiculous after 2 pages missed, sometimes it worth going back while you're typing up your post and making sure you've got your facts right. (I plead guilty)

Description/Appearance: First and foremost, nobody wants to see just a picture. Most pictures don't cover the entire attire, body, clothes, and appearance in general. If you use a picture, it would be wise to type in the parts that the picture leaves out, so that your not the only person in the RP who know's what your characters shoes or back looks like. (This bugs me the most, when there's only a headshot and they're like, OKAY! Good enough for me! I see this a lot) If you are hotlinking/providing a link, you may want to check on your own browser if the link still works. Webpages such as AdvancedAnime's URL's are constantly changing, and soon, you may have a guy picture in place of your female character. (Not pretty at all)

Rejection:If the creator of the RP says that your not accepted, one post asking why you were rejected is more or less justified if the creator doesn't say in the first place, but after rejected twice or more, it gets ridiculous. If you're rejected, and you change it, quotes like 'I thought it looked better then it does now', or anything similar to that, are UNECESSARY. (sp?)

Those are my views on most of the problems in my RPs, and the RPs I'm participating in. (Woah. Long post.)
Old April 3rd, 2006 (06:05 AM).
Amy-chan
Has vacated the premises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell
And to add to that, even people who just try to be nice with the bad pasts who act all dramatic behind the scenes bug me out. I hope I'm not guilty of doing so, but it still bugs me out when they're perky and cheerful around people and depressed and thinking of suicide when by themselves. >=O It makes me angrah!
Yeah, that annoys me too. Especially since I'm gulity of it, as you've seen. >>;

Anyway, I agree with all of the stereotypes and quirks mentioned here, and the opinions on the said. I admit myself guilty of quite a few of these things, and I think this would be very useful, even to veteran RPers, as a reference on what not to do. This is quite a thorough guide, and very accurate, and even now it can be added onto. Considering the quality of RPing here nowadays(and I'm not pointing any fingers, I myself add to it), this would be a helpful introduction on the do's and dont's for newbies and old RPers alike. I support it being stickied, and added onto when needed.

Oh, and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
Um, isn't this a little late/almost in the wrong section? o_o;
True, it was revived from almost a year ago, but the information here is still perfectly true. As for the section, ~Ozy~ explains why he put this here in the first post.

www.care2.com
www.ecologyfund.com
www.theanimalrescuesite.com (Click the tabs.)

Left, now that I can contact people a different way. Please click at the sites above. They're charity sites, not gags designed to make you join another forum or whatever. They actually do something.
Old April 3rd, 2006 (06:29 AM).
Mika
もえじゃないも

Nature: Timid
I'm not sure if anybody here mentioned this...

But I cannot, seriously cannot stand two things about RPs

God Moding RP Masters: Honestly. I hate, loathe, despise these people and in some ways, they have the absolute right to be this way.

These are the people who start the rp boards and refuse to let anybody else add to their plotline, (Ex. I bring up my character's past in a post) I've had people actually tell me before that I need to delete my post because I'm drawing attention away from their character and they don't like it or they don't like my character's history because it's too deep.

It's also when they believe their characters are flawless because they are the "head" of the board. I wish I could find all the rp leaders who actually humble their characters and give them cookies. @_@ It's so flippin annoying when they tell you that you cannot power play or god mode when they do it themselves. ¬¬; Once in awhile is okay, everybody has power played at one point or another, but if every post depicts that character destroying something way beyond the character's ability... it's just ridiculous

Fan Girl/Fan Boy Chars: ...I loathe despise hate curse (etc) these characters more than the above said person. My stomach churns at the sight of something along the lines of:

Quote:
Optional: Mary is Riku's girlfriend they are going steady and are very happy together
Seriously. This is just plan ridiculous but thankfully only seems to happen with certian RPs. (Anything with hot male characters in them ~.~) OCxOC relationships are fine but OCxRiku (This is an example as this is the one I see the most) is not. Bring out your fantasies in FanFics, not in the RP forums. It's honestly not fair to the other RPers if a person is playing Riku and did not previously agree to being "hooked up" with the OC. If it was previously aranged, I still hate it. It's just plain unfair.

Quote:
Rejection:If the creator of the RP says that your not accepted, one post asking why you were rejected is more or less justified if the creator doesn't say in the first place, but after rejected twice or more, it gets ridiculous. If you're rejected, and you change it, quotes like 'I thought it looked better then it does now', or anything similar to that, are UNECESSARY. (sp?)
I completely agree with you but I wanted to add something that kinda follows your other point about skipping.

If the RP Master says no more applications are being accepted, DO NOT APPLY

It's so obnoxious to have a poorly put together profile shoved into the middle of an rp. If they've already in the middle of something, don't post on the board. If you absolutely NEED to get in, try pming the leader, don't intrupt the flow of the RP; it'll only tick people off.

Quote:
Webpages such as AdvancedAnime's URL's are constantly changing, and soon, you may have a guy picture in place of your female character. (Not pretty at all)
I completely agree. It only shows laziness if you can't type out an appearance. Pictures of outfits that are overly complex are fine but make sure you upload them to your own server. As a Web Master, I can't tell you how many times I've found my images linked without credit. It eats our bandwidth and to be honest, hot linking is just plain rude to the people who wrote out their descriptions. It takes an extra 20ish minutes sometimes to type out that appearence but once you complete it, you have that image in your mind and it doesn't leave

Hopefully I haven't repeated anybody. @_@ Just wanted to add these points.
Old April 3rd, 2006 (11:50 AM).
Kurosaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by + Mika +
I completely agree. It only shows laziness if you can't type out an appearance. Pictures of outfits that are overly complex are fine but make sure you upload them to your own server. As a Web Master, I can't tell you how many times I've found my images linked without credit. It eats our bandwidth and to be honest, hot linking is just plain rude to the people who wrote out their descriptions. It takes an extra 20ish minutes sometimes to type out that appearence but once you complete it, you have that image in your mind and it doesn't leave
Not to mention there are services like Photobucket and Imageshack capable of hosting the images for you, so there really is no excuse for hotlinking. As for the typing appearance > picture thing, thats really each individuals own preference. I can't really see a problem if it's a full body shot, but if the picture shows like half the body, it tends to get annoying. If you can see the entire front of a picture, it isn't really hard to picture the back side. Now, on the topic of typing the description up, I can't stand people who type extremely long appearances, delging into uneeded details. Also, I find it hard to properly describe the appearance of the human body, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. (Not to mention I'm about as creative as a rock, XD)

Anyways, I'll move this to the RP Lounge~
Old April 3rd, 2006 (12:27 PM).
Wolf_Goddess
The pen is mightier...

Cliched
Cliched RPers bother the hell out of me! For example, I was on this one site, a wolf RP, and there's this one person that just really peeved the heck out of me! She was trying too hard to make her character uber-powerful and evil (her grammar and spelling sucked too, as well as other such key things towards Roleplaying) and, get this, her wolf's description was black pelt and red eyes, like EVERY OTHER evil wolf on the site. My character even commented on her being cliched, and she was like

((OMG, i am no cliched lol!)) in OOC, and on our site it is looked down upon to use web-chat (or as I like to call it, n00b dialect) when typing out of character.

So I beg of you, try not to make your character a cliched character. Sure, a hot-headed redhead is considered cliched, but it is true. I should know, I'm a redhead...

(But it would be nice to throw people off and have a character with a totally evil description, but his/her personality being that she/he's a sweetie or something like that.)

n00b Chat
lyke omg, dun u just h8 it wen ppl typ lyke tis?

I don't need to explain why I hate it when people talk like this, it bothers the heck out of me. But suprisingly, there are people who RP like that too! By G_d, I loathe them.

Pictures
I don't mind it when people use pictures for descriptions...but still. It shows you lack of creativity. End of story, just describe your character. Let others use their imagination.

Reading
There are some people out there who do not like to read extremely long, detailed posts. I hate it when people do that. They're like "Wow, super long...I didn't read it." and that is just disrespectful! A person probably took their time and talent to write such a post, and the person doesn't even read it? I'm sorry, if you don't like reading that much, don't Roleplay. As simple as that.

((I will add more to this list. Please comment on how crappy I did it...))
Old April 3rd, 2006 (01:01 PM).
~Ozy~

These are all good additions, everyone, and this is always an open list. When I made this, I adressed what I saw as the main problems in the RP sections.

Old April 3rd, 2006 (01:58 PM).
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGoddess
(But it would be nice to throw people off and have a character with a totally evil description, but his/her personality being that she/he's a sweetie or something like that.)
0_0 That's exactly what I loathe. You're not going to see a happy-go-lucky goth...or, I hope not. That'd be what I call, (not to their face of course) SUPAH-N00B. XD

SPAM.:I'm sure many of you know what Spam is by now, and nobody (in their right sane mind) likes reading spam. SO DON'T DO IT! *gaspeth* It's very easy to stay on topic. Spam is a no-no, but wrongly accusing someone of spam is a no-no-NO. Double check to see if it's truly spam before you say 'So-and-so, don't spam'. Because you're gonna have half the RPer's after you for doing so. (Personal experiences my friends. Personal experiences.)

Unsuccessful: Unsuccessful RP's are everywhere, but if nobody joins, or if it just goes downhill, or just plain doesn't go the way you wanted it, don't whine and gripe about it. Everyone is an individual, and perhaps they didn't fancy the topic your RP was on. And when you post an RP, it's not neccessarily going to go smoothly along the way you imagined it would. Different people have different reactions to different events. Whining and griping only makes people less enthusiastic about joining your future RP's, knowing that they'll have to deal with your attitude.

Oh. My. God. Someone did this to me as well, but no, they seriously broke down, because I said 'OMFG how did you guys get so far without me?!' and the entire roleplay board started flaming me. Claimed that the RP master was crying and they said I was a mean -----, and totally went insane. I was like 'AH! HURRICANE ANDREW IS COMIN' MY WAY!'. *rolls eyes*
Old April 3rd, 2006 (02:46 PM).
Wolf_Goddess
The pen is mightier...

Quote:
0_0 That's exactly what I loathe. You're not going to see a happy-go-lucky goth...or, I hope not. That'd be what I call, (not to their face of course) SUPAH-N00B.
Well, I didn't really mean it like that...

I just don't like stereotypical characters. Like, on wolf RPing terms, white fur=good, black fur=evil
Old April 3rd, 2006 (02:52 PM).
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Well, I personally don't do wolf RP's, but I consider black fur=good white=bad. 0_0 Because an albino wolf seems so much scarier then a black one with red eyes wouldn't you agree? And a black wolf with white highlights seems so much plainer then a white wolf, and would work much better for a pack member.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links