The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:57 PM
~Ozy~
PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell
0_0 That's exactly what I loathe. You're not going to see a happy-go-lucky goth...or, I hope not. That'd be what I call, (not to their face of course) SUPAH-N00B. XD
See, that's a fine, and somewhat interesting point, actually. Yes, you aren't going to see your "happy-go-lucky goth," but what about a sadistic character, one who takes pleasure from the suffering of others, or someone completely insane who operates on similar principles? Someone completely twisted who covers it with a kind, nice, sweet act? Those can be very very interesting villians, or even player characters to interact with.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Skype™ to Lily
Oops...My profuse apologies. XP

There is one thing that bothers me to a certain extent. True, one can list RPers in these subjective categories, but I dislike those who convey the problems with a vague subtlety. It's as if they're wavering between the borderline of annoyance and normality at the same time, which makes it hard for me to be judgmental. x_x

( ‿‿ ) PM me for a contract.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Light_Azumarill
Danny Phantom!

Send a message via AIM to Light_Azumarill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Light_Azumarill Send a message via Yahoo to Light_Azumarill
I agree with everything said so far. Though, I must say I am guilty of a few of them to a certain degree. ; Hey, I know I'm not perfect.

Two things I have to add:

Conflict Characters: People who seem to try and make everyone hate them even when it essential that all of the characters work as a team for the plot to work. By try I mean actively try. They just pick fights with everyone and then whine in an OOC post about how no one's interacting with them or that everyone hates them. It should stand to reason that if you make everyone hate you, you will be ALONE. Which leads me to....

Whiny Loners: Those who go off one their own in an RP, don't interact with anyone's characters, and then begins to get angry when no one talks with their character. They'll start yelling at people, and then just stop posting because they aren't having any fun. Ugh... just because your character is a 'loner' doesn't mean that they can't find an exception with one person. At the very least you can still place yourself with the others. -.-

I don't think anyone else said those already... though I have been known to be guilty of "Skipping". ^-^
Old April 8th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
I want to stab an enginer right now, for I have just lost my whole post due to a keyboard malfunction. But this is irrelevant to the topic so...on to bad habits!

Ahem, first of all I'd like to express my support for most of the things said here, although there are two opinions I disagree with. One, I'm afraid that I don't agree with your comment on the one-liner thing, ~Ozy~, as I have yet to see a single RPing situation to which four lines could not be added as a response. It's all about going into detail about how your character feels about the information recieved/things taking place, thoughts, feelings...small mannerisms that that character has when talking (E.g. correcting his/her hair, fiddling with clothes, changes of pose/expression etc.), there are really very few people that are able to just stand/sitt completely still while talking with someone else, especially during lengthy conversations. And really, if you make the response one line, and then add at least one line of everything I listed above then you've already got four, so [B]yeah. Two-liners on the other hand are always a depressing read, especially if they're made in tandem by inexperienced people with enormous signatures. At the risk of sounding crude, if you can't write four lines of coherent english then you should be signing up for a school/support lessons in english, not an RP. -.-

My second disagreement is with Kurosaki's comment about appearance descriptions. As far as I'm concerned, written description > picture, always. Allowing people to get away with pictures is basically asking for a bunch of characters who look like ones from Anime/Manga shows, which has always annoyed me, and then there's the whole image-not-here problems and whatnot which make it a very unreliable method. Also, detailed descriptions really shouldn't be underestimated as they are an excellent opportunity to convey various aspects of your character's personality. I know it's tough to think up something truly original (Clothes are a particular problem for me), but your creativity won't get any better if you don't push it a little. xD Anyways, like you said, it's a personal preference.

And now that that's over with, it's time for some bad habits:

Duck pond RPing

That is, only RPing with your own personal RP buddies and ignoring everyone else. I've seen this plenty of times and have to admit having been guilty of it myself now and again. A lesser, but just as annoying, form of duck pond RPing is always having your character navigate his/her way to the character(s) of your friend(s) and have them become bestest buddies and whanot, it's seriously discouraging for those who are not in your particular 'pond' as it makes them feel left out and ignored. Duck pond RPing is particularly bad if an RP master is doing it as, in that case, everyone else is just plain screwed because the plot is moving without them.

Irresponsible RP masters

Yes, by starting an RP and selecting the people whom you admit there you are also assuming the responsibility of making said RP work. What annoys me is that many RP masters don't see this at all, merely focusing on keeping their own character(s) and possible love interests etc. (See Duck pond RPing) in the spotlight, which really sucks for everyone else concerned. If your own character is incapacitated and can't prod the plot along, fine, just create an NPC or event that will have the same effect instead. But whatever you do, do not just leave RPers hanging without a clue of what they should be doing.

Whiny RP masters

When the RP master says 'no' it means no, yes? Well people should realize that the same applies for RPers. If an RPer doesn't want to sign up then he/she doesn't need to sign up, unfortunately, some RP masters don't seem to realize this and so choose to pester people with endless 'plz join' PMs. Inviting people is one thing, and I have nothing against those who do so in order to get the RPers they want in as long as they respect the decision of the RPer in question, but pestering them and spamming up their PM boxes is another.

Species identification (Mostly for pokémorph RPs)

Okay, this has been a peeve of mine from the very beginning. Am I really the only one who finds it a little bit odd that every pokémorph is somehow capable of identifying the exact species of every other pokémorph they come across? And indeed, how come even every trainer knows the types, names, and abilities of every individual pokémon in existence? Now you as an RPer might sitt there with all the answers ready, but unless there's a very good reason for the character in question to possess this knowledge then I fail to see why he/she should have it.

So yeah, those are some of the habits which annoy me and haven't been listed yet (Or at least I don't think they have), and I'm sure that there are many I missed, but I'll just end here before my keyboard decides to die on me again.

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old April 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Kogenta
Lost Realist

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kogenta Send a message via Skype™ to Kogenta
Though I understand the reasoning behind the desire for a typed physical description, I occasionally find it easier to design and portray my character with pencil and paper than with words--especially with more unique aspects of my character's appearance.

Although I usually describe my character via keyboard, sometimes I prefer to draw and scan them. :: shrug ::

Old April 8th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Drawing and describing them might work, too, if you want to convey the exact appearance. I've seen people try that method, and it worked out just fine.

Old April 8th, 2006, 03:11 PM
~Ozy~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ~Ozy~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~Ozy~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
One, I'm afraid that I don't agree with your comment on the one-liner thing, ~Ozy~, as I have yet to see a single RPing situation to which four lines could not be added as a response. It's all about going into detail about how your character feels about the information recieved/things taking place, thoughts, feelings...small mannerisms that that character has when talking (E.g. correcting his/her hair, fiddling with clothes, changes of pose/expression etc.), there are really very few people that are able to just stand/sitt completely still while talking with someone else, especially during lengthy conversations.
I still have to diasgree on that. In some cases, many I believe, less is indeed more. That, and a great many of those things can be conveyed in a short space if the writer is skilled. Rule #17 of The Elements of Style is "Eliminate uncessary words." It is sound advice in many ways. You can (and I have in the past) conveyed all of those details in three lines by following that rule. Furthermore, such detail is occasionally detrimental. If Ernest Hemingway had reworked A Farewell to Arms to meet your standards, it would have lost much of its impact. Good writing is more than length, and I will always, ALWAYS stress quality over quantity.

"Your Grace, all that you say is true. On the Trident, Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought honorably, Rhaegar fought nobly, and Rhaegar died.
Old April 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

o.o; If one stresses on the importance of quality, surely that will ensue in shorter RP posts, which is relatively unwanted in accordance to forums. If someone assigns a specific length, and yet by eliminating unnecessary details, it is still possible for one to reach that length. Such details in this case are not harmful considering RPs are solely based on interaction, and everything you input will be studied upon, as stories are different from them...at least, this is purely my opinion based on your reasoning. ._.;

Old April 8th, 2006, 04:24 PM
~Ozy~

Given, though as roleplaying is almost a multi-author story, continuity is a factor, as is writing skill. I prefer to see the two of those over length. However, if an RP and the character used in it is compelling, neither item should necessarily be a problem. Thinking about it in-depth, I find the theoretical question of length to be moot, as if there is a skilled RP Master and a skilled RPr, then post length and post quality will come naturally. The practical question is different, though, and I would rather focus on quality. Take for example, a formemr meber by the name of kirby0_0. Long RP posts, no one could fault that, but the quality was very much lacking. Once the quality of the RP writing as reached a reasonable and consistant level, then I find it a good time to concern yourself with length.

Old April 8th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Kogenta
Lost Realist

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kogenta Send a message via Skype™ to Kogenta
Even in the event that someone could contain an incredibly worthwhile, quality piece of information within one line, how many people would have that skill? And, how many people would simply abuse the use of one-line posts? How would it be possible to make that individual distinction, being that it would be based on opinion alone?

Having a required minimum of four lines is something concrete that can be judged by fact, rather than having the risk of accusations of favoritism.

:: shrug :: At the least, that is what seemed logical to me . . .

Old April 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
~Ozy~

Hence the contrast between the theoretical and the practical. Yes, getting people to write in a skilled manner consistantly is somewhat subjective and far more time-consuming, especially on a general-intrest forum such as this (as opposed to a dedicated RP board) than is setting a length requirment, but I still see it as the better approach. Furthermore, I didn't say that all of that could be contained in one line. The best I've ever done that contained thought, emotion, action and dialogue was three lines. I do not advocate having absolutely NO length requirement, but asking people to insert inane detail for the sake of meeting said requirement if they do not posess the skill to make the extra reading worthwhile is a detriment, not an asset.

Old April 8th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Kurosaki

I wouldn't have any qualms about eliminating the limit rule if not for the fact that many posts like this would rise once more. (Sorry to the member who's post this is, it was the closest example)

I'd also like to express my dislike of those who don't read all of the posts, and just act on what they want to do instead of taking into consideration of what all of the other characters will do. (I'm guilty of is at well) It just comes to a point where a lot of the members get left out and decide to leave.
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:09 PM
~Ozy~

I do understand your concern very well, and I would actually like to compliment the RP Mods for doing so much to improve the general quality of the RPs here. I suppose my main issue is that there seems too much pressure to meet length requiremnts, even wheen it means sacrificing quality to do so.

Old April 8th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Kurosaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ozy~
I do understand your concern very well, and I would actually like to compliment the RP Mods for doing so much to improve the general quality of the RPs here. I suppose my main issue is that there seems too much pressure to meet length requiremnts, even wheen it means sacrificing quality to do so.
I don't really warn people about short posts unless the posts are like the example given, and I don't believe Ookami does either. That rule is there as more of a guideline than anything.
Old April 8th, 2006, 05:32 PM
~Ozy~

I don't get the pressure feeling from the either of you, on the contrary. I find both to be understanding of that. I typically get that feeling from other RPrs, it seems almost like a contest at times as to who can type the most three-page responses. Not to criticize, but to me it seems that this behavior seems if nod condoned, subtextually implied by the two of you through a suggested length requirement. I truly would like to see more of a push for quality. There does come a point when things are too detailed for the good of the RP as a whole.

Old April 8th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Faltzer
Donator Tier 3

God mod RPers is what I hate most.they always want to do something to make themselves look good.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Lily
◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.

Even if quality is far more significant, not everyone can impose the correct amount of details and such. Rather, they seem to have the opposite problem, which is the lack of details, thus forcing Kurosaki/Ookami to enforce the quantity rate. In the case of skilled RPers, we all have our different methods. I don't think it's possible to convert everyone to quality, though, since we're all used to our style by now. x.x;

Old April 8th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky
Quote:
I still have to diasgree on that. In some cases, many I believe, less is indeed more. That, and a great many of those things can be conveyed in a short space if the writer is skilled. Rule #17 of The Elements of Style is "Eliminate uncessary words." It is sound advice in many ways. You can (and I have in the past) conveyed all of those details in three lines by following that rule. Furthermore, such detail is occasionally detrimental. If Ernest Hemingway had reworked A Farewell to Arms to meet your standards, it would have lost much of its impact. Good writing is more than length, and I will always, ALWAYS stress quality over quantity.
And there are stories written solely in dialogue (Efficient for that very reason), and a lovely little book called 'The Dwarf' (Written by a Swedish author so I'm not sure if you know it) which was written purely in the form of a diary, but that doesn't mean that either of those techniques is ever going to work for RPing. Hemingway's style of writing is very difficult to do properly and would only work if everyone in the RP could do it, and seeing the general level of RPing around here around here I can't see that happening. Long and descriptive might not be the eptiome of style, but it's a fairly easy technique to learn and makes it easier for others to understand your character's motives (As opposed to making him/her look irrational) and thus actually get more out of the RP. As it is, not enforcing length and descriptiveness leads to posts like the one Kurosaki showed. So yeah, I rest my case. Quality > Quantity, yes, but for those who aren't professional writers it becomes easier to achieve quality with quantity. Please also note that some styles of writing depend on length and descriptiveness. For instance, and I know this isn't the best example, Zadie Smith's novels depend heavily on listing countless seemingly irrelevant details to bring forth both information and mood and would in turn loose their impact if adapted to Ernest Hemingway's style. Yes, quality can be achieved with shortness, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way. <.<

So yeah, quantity doesn't always bring quality, but the fact of the matter is that a majority of the quality posts here are short, and I challenge you to find a single example of a Hemingwayish short post of quality.

Concerning the description-thing, well, you do have a point Kogenta...but still, it's always better to have at least some kind of writing description which is then supported by means of a picture, if only to give those less proficient in describing clothes and the human body something to work off.

As for enforcing quality, well, I agree that it would be better, but the problem is, how do you enforce quality, and who gets to decide what quality is? Obviously going "Okay, from now on your posts must be good." is not going to work. So yes, it's a lovely goal, but I for one can't think of any concrete way of striving towards it.

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old April 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Xhaiden
Cosplayer of Doom

Send a message via AIM to Xhaiden Send a message via Yahoo to Xhaiden
Hmm things that irritate me about roleplayer? That is indeed an interest question. I strongly dislike first person point of view in rps, mainly because in rps there are usually more then one person and it can get confusing. I also agree with Alter-Kun on the picture thing. I can not STAND it when people just rip off of another anime or something for a character unless they are rping that particular character. It shows lack of creativity and those people should not rp unless they are willing to make their own characters. (Not counting rps that are of actual Manga/Anime/ect.) This thread amuses me greatly I must say...
.:: Banner/Avatar by Loveless ::.

Old April 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
XD Wow you guy's can really go. But I suppose I would've joined in had I had the oppotunity. Anyway, you all realize that even though we talk about whining and griping, we are- in a way- whining and griping ourselves? XD Me included. We all point things out that we find annoying, yet many of these crimes (<-HAHAHA) we have performed ourselves.

I'm not usually one for compassion, and you'll tell by the way I phrase this, but even though those n00b RPer's who bug the blargh outta everyone kinda suck at RPing and make everything worse for us, they're having fun. Pokecommunity was founded to be a place to have fun, and of all the few places I've seen of Pokecommunity, (other then the hacking section) this place is rather uptight. Not everyone is your professional Hemingway, which by the way I have no idea who that is. But still, though they're taking our fun away, aren't we sinking to their level when taking away their "fun"? (Though I find it hard to see just how "fun" it gets when I can't even decipher what the poster is trying to say)

Quote:
My second disagreement is with Kurosaki's comment about appearance descriptions. As far as I'm concerned, written description > picture, always. Allowing people to get away with pictures is basically asking for a bunch of characters who look like ones from Anime/Manga shows, which has always annoyed me, and then there's the whole image-not-here problems and whatnot which make it a very unreliable method. Also, detailed descriptions really shouldn't be underestimated as they are an excellent opportunity to convey various aspects of your character's personality. I know it's tough to think up something truly original (Clothes are a particular problem for me), but your creativity won't get any better if you don't push it a little. xD Anyways, like you said, it's a personal preference.
It's not always that easy to describe an appearance. If it's really complicated, with a lot of different layers and things like that, if you want to convey to the others just how different the look is, it's not easy through words. Because you will imagine something different then someone else, but when you see the same picture, you recieve the same image.

One-liners. First off, if you haven't seen any of those, you need to join someone's RP. Someone who posts one-liners as well. I have done so on many accounts, and hahahaha. The sarcasm there is heavy. There is little more then four lines if fourlines at all. My posts are usually dialog, and thinking to themselves, and I suppose that is unnesseccary padding, but you haven't seen me complain about marshmallow padding yet have you? ;; But the one liners are usually a reeeally long quote with a 'he said' at the end.

Like so---
"No!" He shouted "You can't touch that because it's dangerous! You might get really hurt Lila, and I can't bear to see you get hurt!"

Ah yes I have seen posts as bluntly stating their interest in having a romance in the beginnning of the RP. But as you can see, I'm not even entirely sure that'll end up as even one line. I may have to edit. But that is quite literally what some people would do, if the other's, (us) didn't flame them about it. Even when I say 'I believe there is a four line minimum rule', I see...one more line at most?

Advice:When someone gives you advice on roleplaying, it's usually up to you to decide whether it's good advice, or bad advice. Not only the mods give good advice, as you'll notice they're not the holy gods of the entire world. Everyone has different views on things, but when someone gives you advice, it becomes your responsibility to decide whether or not to go through with it. But sometimes, the advice people give, aren't those kinds. Sometimes, it's just the plain fact that you're lacking the common sense to read the rules, or just accidentally missed something. Take the advice when it is made clear it is a rule the first time, or someone's gonna start pushing that pretty button on the top right hand corner of your post.

Hmm, since I'm too lazy to quote Kagome, I have to say...It also bugs me when someone rips off an anime/manga/game character, but when I rip it off, I don't use characters that I have actually seen in anime, unless the RP calls for it. (Seen those crossover originals RPs yet?) Most of my pictures come from games/animes/manga that I will most likely never see any more of then that picture. I try to never use pictures from games and anime I have played/seen before.
Old April 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Mika
もえじゃないも

Nature: Timid
Quote:
And this Alter, is why people worship you. @_@

Or 'least, tis why ah do. o-o

I seriously cannot stand people who just stab up a picture. It... just... geeze... If it's original, fine. That's great. :3 I love original. Original shows the same amount of effort you'd put into a writen description. However, those ones people steal from AnimeNation (Thus my previous hatred rant towards bandwidth eaters) and say "OMG!!!!111 luk at my originl art/ luk at my char so original" need to be sent to the Hall of Death and get a few holes poked in them (Kudos to anybody who catches that humour)

People spent a long time drawing those. xx Trace if you have to but put some friggen effort into it.
Old April 11th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Er, but these RP's are our pasttimes. Not our jobs. XP Not many people are willing to spend that much time to trace, especially since it's hard to trace a color image. Then you gotta print it and everything, and my mom's very touchy about color ink. But, didn't the artists spend that much time drawing them, for the public to see? 0_0;; But w/e, it doesn't matter. The reason I don't use my drawings for my character's, is because, I personally don't like the way I draw. Not everyone is good at drawing. And I just can't portray my character's appearance through my skills. o~o

See last post for reasons on typing description, and below.

I'm not objecting to either one, I'm just giving a debate. I don't think everyone can put out the same amount of effort. Everyone has their limits, and being a perfectionist, I'd rather not spend two hours drawing out a character and coloring it etc. etc. Besides, what bothers me the most, is that, only a select few take the time to actually type out what their character's look like in detail. Otherwise, I have to imagine everything else, and most of the facts I get wrong. It bothers the everything outta me!!
Old April 14th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Garouga! Bare Your Fangs!
Throw your fangs up!

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
Even if quality is far more significant, not everyone can impose the correct amount of details and such. Rather, they seem to have the opposite problem, which is the lack of details, thus forcing Kurosaki/Ookami to enforce the quantity rate. In the case of skilled RPers, we all have our different methods. I don't think it's possible to convert everyone to quality, though, since we're all used to our style by now. x.x;
To me, "style" is the character you're used to creating. I prefer a laid-back person who can just barely back up their lazy, overconfident mouth. I throw in a twist most of the time, but don't change it completely because I'll forget the change and RP as the character I'm used to. Most of us are like that, even if we don't want to admit it.
Written descriptions are better than pictures because if you're ripping off a character, you can tweak the design a little (but that doesn't make it RIGHT). Then you can feel free to add a personality you're used to. If you rip off a picture, people know who it is, how they act, and anything else about them. Either way, ripping off a character is just an act of unimaginative laziness.
Username: LazyLosLobos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack O'Neill View Post
What did I say about fighting in the armory?
~It's Complicated~
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Jack O'Neill
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
The Slapdash Character: Try to spend a decent length of time writing a new character. I try to take at LEAST 15 minutes, 20-30 for ones I intend to reuse. Believe me, a hastily-thrown together character shows, and they aren't much fun to RP as or with. If you're reusing a character, modifying them to the RP is an obvious move, but also try to correct the things you found made them less fun to play as in previous RPs.
15-30 minutes? That's rather quick for me. I often spend upwards of 45 minutes to an hour writing up my characters. Taking your time on something like this is always a good thing, 'cause a rushed job almost always sucks.

Quote:
The Cliche Character: Yes, we've all been there, particularly when we start RPing. But theses are characters such as the Cynical Mercenary, the Angsty But Still Good Demon, the Warrior With A Tragic Past, etc. etc. Yes, these can be fun characters to play at times, but they're incredibly common and it's nice to see an RPr take the effort to come up with something out of the ordinary. I'm guilty of creating and using such characters myself, but I try to avoid it.
Guilty of that too, but only on rare occasions. I always try my best to make up something original or at least put my own personal twist on a cliché.

Quote:
The One-Liner: I disagree with the decision to enforce a four-line/one-paragraph rule in the RP forums because circumstances do arise where such a rule is, quite simply, inane and actually DETRACTS from post quality (this is especially true in drawn-out conversations), but it's nice to see people make the effort to add as much detail as possible.
Agreed. There are times one-liners can't be helped.

Quote:
The No-setting Plot: You can have gobs of plot in an RP, I mean, and immensely detailed, drawn-out affair, but what about the setting? What season is it? Is it mountainous? Humid? Does it snow almost year-round? Is it far to the north, or equatorial? All these things effect the setting of the plot. Like, if it's far to the north or south, the seasons won't be as diverse, and the days and nights, much longer, depending on the season. The Araura Borealis (or Astraulias) will show up too. Is it a rich county or a poor one? Densely populated? All of this is important.
Guilty of that, but sometimes, settings involve at least some measure of common sense. I mean, do you expect to see snow in Vietnam or the Philippines? Do you expect to see a shining metropolis bustling with people along the Ho Chi Minh Trail or in the Philippine countryside?

Quote:
The Optional Personality: This is a personal pet peeve of mine. I HATE seeing the Personality in an RP sign-up made an option. It should, in my opinion, be a required field, along with Appearance, Name, Gender, Race and Age. There's a good reason for all this, there's a good reason for a Personality field, namely that it give you a way to force your character to act. Real people don't simply skip around from emotion to emotion, they typically have a set group of reactions and emotions. So should your character. Even better is a history that agrees with this, e.g., a happy-go-lucky, carefree character isn't going to see their parents brutally murdered in front of them when they were six.
...Now I know what I've been forgetting.

Quote:
The Punctuation And Capitilization: Put them in, and put them in right. Proper nouns, new sentences, acronyms, and "I," all get a capital. Spaces after commas, periods, question marks, semicols, etc. etc. Study the rules of punctuation and commit them to memory.
If you can't type coherently, then you shouldn't RP, simple as that.

Quote:
The Post That Obviously Didn't Get Read Over: I'll admit that I've done this too, when a lot of people are RPing and I'm trying to keep up, or when dinner's almost on and I'm rushed, but in general, read over each post for typos. Because typos are annoying.
Also guilty of that. I rarely make typos anyway.

Quote:
History doesn't match up?:If your character had a bad past, such as abuse, neglect, or murdering of parents before very eyes, then they'll have to attone to that. Your character is probably going to be at least partially scarred by these childhood events. So in other words, if your character had a bad history, they won't exactly be the most ditzy, most bubbly cheerleader at school.

And to add to that, even people who just try to be nice with the bad pasts who act all dramatic behind the scenes bug me out. I hope I'm not guilty of doing so, but it still bugs me out when they're perky and cheerful around people and depressed and thinking of suicide when by themselves. >=O It makes me angrah!
Can't say I've been guilty of that. I try my best to match histories with personalities.

Quote:
Gods:You're not a demi-god, or a god. You don't have control over every single player's character in the RP unless you ask permission to play their characters, and use your common sense to find out that you can only use them when the creator tells you you can do so. Powerplaying is a no-no, and is when you control another person's character without their permission.
Guilty, but in some of the RPs I've been in, the creators give permission for others to use their characters; I never give permission, however, and I've had to deal with quite a few powerplayers.

Quote:
Dialect Only: (I'm guilty of this.) Nobody wants to see a post that's just quotes and 'She said' or 'He said'. Description is what makes a post less boring to read. You could add something like 'She exclaimed' even to make it ever so slightly more amusing to read. Really long posts are easier to skip, but it makes it ever the worse when the long post is really nothing but dialect. If it's just dialect, I usually just skip them even if they're less then 5 lines. It's just boring to read.
Not guilty. I always try to sprinkle in at least some description.

Quote:
Stickies:They're there for a reason. Read them. They help. (Why else are they at the top of the page my friends?)
I never read stickies. To me, RPing's basically intuitive anyway.

Quote:
Skipping:When you skip someone else's post, you often get details wrong, such as where the other character is, in what position, or sometimes what they're doing at the present moment. Sometimes these minor details can make all the difference, and even though it may get ridiculous after 2 pages missed, sometimes it worth going back while you're typing up your post and making sure you've got your facts right. (I plead guilty)
I make it a point to read everything, so skipping's not that big of a problem for me. I do have lapses in concentration, however.

Quote:
Description/Appearance: First and foremost, nobody wants to see just a picture. Most pictures don't cover the entire attire, body, clothes, and appearance in general. If you use a picture, it would be wise to type in the parts that the picture leaves out, so that your not the only person in the RP who know's what your characters shoes or back looks like. (This bugs me the most, when there's only a headshot and they're like, OKAY! Good enough for me! I see this a lot) If you are hotlinking/providing a link, you may want to check on your own browser if the link still works. Webpages such as AdvancedAnime's URL's are constantly changing, and soon, you may have a guy picture in place of your female character. (Not pretty at all)
Guilty, guilty, guilty. Most of the time, I take the time to type out my descriptions, but there are other times when I get lazy and just slap a picture on there. Sometimes, the picture fits (I once played a character who was an expert cosplayer), and sometimes, it doesn't. Visual aids can be useful, but don't try to abuse them out of laziness.

Quote:
Rejection:If the creator of the RP says that your not accepted, one post asking why you were rejected is more or less justified if the creator doesn't say in the first place, but after rejected twice or more, it gets ridiculous. If you're rejected, and you change it, quotes like 'I thought it looked better then it does now', or anything similar to that, are UNECESSARY. (sp?)
Never really had to deal with rejection anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by + Mika +
God Moding RP Masters: Honestly. I hate, loathe, despise these people and in some ways, they have the absolute right to be this way.

These are the people who start the rp boards and refuse to let anybody else add to their plotline, (Ex. I bring up my character's past in a post) I've had people actually tell me before that I need to delete my post because I'm drawing attention away from their character and they don't like it or they don't like my character's history because it's too deep.

It's also when they believe their characters are flawless because they are the "head" of the board. I wish I could find all the rp leaders who actually humble their characters and give them cookies. @_@ It's so flippin annoying when they tell you that you cannot power play or god mode when they do it themselves. ¬¬; Once in awhile is okay, everybody has power played at one point or another, but if every post depicts that character destroying something way beyond the character's ability... it's just ridiculous
Guilty, but only on rare occasions. Besides, I'm almost always a participant anyway.

Quote:
Fan Girl/Fan Boy Chars: ...I loathe despise hate curse (etc) these characters more than the above said person. My stomach churns at the sight of something along the lines of:

Quote:
Optional: Mary is Riku's girlfriend they are going steady and are very happy together
Seriously. This is just plan ridiculous but thankfully only seems to happen with certian RPs. (Anything with hot male characters in them ~.~) OCxOC relationships are fine but OCxRiku (This is an example as this is the one I see the most) is not. Bring out your fantasies in FanFics, not in the RP forums. It's honestly not fair to the other RPers if a person is playing Riku and did not previously agree to being "hooked up" with the OC. If it was previously aranged, I still hate it. It's just plain unfair
Fanpeople disgust me, plain and simple.

Quote:
If the RP Master says no more applications are being accepted, DO NOT APPLY

It's so obnoxious to have a poorly put together profile shoved into the middle of an rp. If they've already in the middle of something, don't post on the board. If you absolutely NEED to get in, try pming the leader, don't intrupt the flow of the RP; it'll only tick people off.
I never butt in when RPers are obviously in the middle of something, even if applications are supposedly always open. Just leave them be unless they specifically request your presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Goddess
n00b Chat
lyke omg, dun u just h8 it wen ppl typ lyke tis?

I don't need to explain why I hate it when people talk like this, it bothers the heck out of me. But suprisingly, there are people who RP like that too! By G_d, I loathe them.
If you can't type in proper English, then don't RP. I can't stress that point any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_Goddess
Reading
There are some people out there who do not like to read extremely long, detailed posts. I hate it when people do that. They're like "Wow, super long...I didn't read it." and that is just disrespectful! A person probably took their time and talent to write such a post, and the person doesn't even read it? I'm sorry, if you don't like reading that much, don't Roleplay. As simple as that.
I'm one such person given over to writing long and detailed posts, and yes, it's insulting when people don't bother reading. And I agree that if you don't want to read, then don't RP.

Quote:
SPAM.:I'm sure many of you know what Spam is by now, and nobody (in their right sane mind) likes reading spam. SO DON'T DO IT! *gaspeth* It's very easy to stay on topic. Spam is a no-no, but wrongly accusing someone of spam is a no-no-NO. Double check to see if it's truly spam before you say 'So-and-so, don't spam'. Because you're gonna have half the RPer's after you for doing so. (Personal experiences my friends. Personal experiences.)
Agreed. It's basically common sense.

Quote:
Unsuccessful: Unsuccessful RP's are everywhere, but if nobody joins, or if it just goes downhill, or just plain doesn't go the way you wanted it, don't whine and gripe about it. Everyone is an individual, and perhaps they didn't fancy the topic your RP was on. And when you post an RP, it's not neccessarily going to go smoothly along the way you imagined it would. Different people have different reactions to different events. Whining and griping only makes people less enthusiastic about joining your future RP's, knowing that they'll have to deal with your attitude.
Most, if not all, of my RPs are unsuccessful, but you don't hear me whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light_Azumarill
Conflict Characters: People who seem to try and make everyone hate them even when it essential that all of the characters work as a team for the plot to work. By try I mean actively try. They just pick fights with everyone and then whine in an OOC post about how no one's interacting with them or that everyone hates them. It should stand to reason that if you make everyone hate you, you will be ALONE. Which leads me to....

Whiny Loners: Those who go off one their own in an RP, don't interact with anyone's characters, and then begins to get angry when no one talks with their character. They'll start yelling at people, and then just stop posting because they aren't having any fun. Ugh... just because your character is a 'loner' doesn't mean that they can't find an exception with one person. At the very least you can still place yourself with the others. -.-
If playing the anti-social and bellicose loner doesn't work in real life, then it sure as hell won't work in an RP.

Quote:
Duck pond RPing

That is, only RPing with your own personal RP buddies and ignoring everyone else. I've seen this plenty of times and have to admit having been guilty of it myself now and again. A lesser, but just as annoying, form of duck pond RPing is always having your character navigate his/her way to the character(s) of your friend(s) and have them become bestest buddies and whanot, it's seriously discouraging for those who are not in your particular 'pond' as it makes them feel left out and ignored. Duck pond RPing is particularly bad if an RP master is doing it as, in that case, everyone else is just plain screwed because the plot is moving without them.
I've encountered my fair share of duck pond RPs, and I must say that it's an unsavoury practice. People should be given a chance to prove themselves.

Quote:
Irresponsible RP masters

Yes, by starting an RP and selecting the people whom you admit there you are also assuming the responsibility of making said RP work. What annoys me is that many RP masters don't see this at all, merely focusing on keeping their own character(s) and possible love interests etc. (See Duck pond RPing) in the spotlight, which really sucks for everyone else concerned. If your own character is incapacitated and can't prod the plot along, fine, just create an NPC or event that will have the same effect instead. But whatever you do, do not just leave RPers hanging without a clue of what they should be doing.
Responsibility is an essential part of RPing, as it is with just about everything else. Always make sure to tend after your flock, lest they be eaten by the wolves.

Quote:
Whiny RP masters

When the RP master says 'no' it means no, yes? Well people should realize that the same applies for RPers. If an RPer doesn't want to sign up then he/she doesn't need to sign up, unfortunately, some RP masters don't seem to realize this and so choose to pester people with endless 'plz join' PMs. Inviting people is one thing, and I have nothing against those who do so in order to get the RPers they want in as long as they respect the decision of the RPer in question, but pestering them and spamming up their PM boxes is another.
Choice is the problem here. Personally, I don't like to pester people into joining; they should join out of their own free will, not because they've been coerced.

I'll try to address more points as I see them.
Old April 19th, 2006, 02:56 PM
parallelzero
chelia.blendy

Jack, was that just out of boredom, or what? XD

Relationships: Probably been brought up before, but I hate it when two RPers focus everything around the relationship of only their two characters. RPs are supposed to involve everyone, and I've seen RPers kill good RPs like this...

SKY GOD SLAYER: CHELIA BLENDY
twitter + raptr + myanimelist + tumblr
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links