The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Games Showcase

Notices

Games Showcase This forum is for games which have a significant amount of progress. Only the most developed games are selected to go in here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Old January 31st, 2008 (07:09 PM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

[INTRODUCTION]
====================

Hey everyone, I'm Marxj and this my Pokemon Fan-Game: "Flying Spectrum". I am making it in RPG Maker XP using "poccil's Pokemon Essentials" starter.

====================
[STORY]
====================
You are an aspiring Pokemon Trainer who has yet to receive his/her first Pokemon.

You decide one afternoon to take a stroll through Route #1 where there is a path just big enough for a walk but small enough and safe enough that you won't be running into any wild Pokemon as long as you steer clear of the tall-grass.

While walking along the route, you find 3 Pokeballs lying on the ground, its obvious enough to you that they aren't empty but you don't bother to see which Pokemon they are.

You head on your way back home to see if you can't get help tracking down the owner of the Pokeballs (and Pokemon inside) when one of your two best friends is waiting for you. You just begin to chat when the two of you are attacked by Grunts of an organization called: "Black Earth". Your friend then asked you (Because he doesn't have a Pokemon of his own) to give him one of the three Pokemon you've found for protection. You comply and afterwards randomly select one of the two remaining Pokemon for yourself (You will receive whichever of the two is WEAKEST against the one you handed to him).

Returning home afterwards, to your injuries from the attack, your father helps you out then realize that the Pokeballs that you have found actually belong to your Grandmother who is the retired Pokemon Professor of the Muhto region, who had been attacked by Black Earth Grunts and accidentally dropped the Pokeballs.

She lets you and your friend each keep the Pokemon you battled with and thus your journey begins to become a Pokemon Master by completing the Muhto Gym Challenge... but hold on! ...One of the three Pokeballs is missing!? It would appear that it was stolen and the Pokemon was to be used by the new heir of Black Earth... unbeknownst to you... happens to be your OTHER friend, whom is on a quest to complete the 'spectrum' and bring the world to chaos. Only you can prevent it!

But whats the spectrum???? The alignment of the 5 Legendary Bird Pokemon: Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, Lugia and Ho-Oh which when their powers are merged create an unstoppable force.

====================
[SCREENSHOTS]
====================
The following screen are mostly all from the first half of Route 1... for I am not too far into the game at the moment as far as mapping because I am now working on the scripting for the beginning of the game/route 1

Just outside your home

Walking along Route #1

Best to stay out of tall grass when you don't have a Pokemon yet.

Your friend Mike who appears after you retrieve the 3 Pokeballs

The first two of many Grunts of Team Black Earth appear!

Mike's got a good point... I mean how did they appear so soon out of no-where?

Your best-friend also doesn't have a Pokemon... but needs one to defend with.

The famous Johto Starters are also the starters for trainers travelling in Muhto

But which starter will you hand to your soon to be Rival?

Peyton's very weak Seviper...

...against the hero's Totodile!

====================
[FEATURES]
====================

1. Travel in the brand new immense region of Muhto.
2. The Pokemon you select is your RIVAL'S POKEMON not your's YOURS will be the one WEAKEST AGAINST HIS.
3. Fight against all new trainers and Gym leaders to make yourway to the top of the MUHTO POKEMON LEAGUE by defeating the MUHTO REGION'S GREATEST POKEMON TRAINERS... THE MUHTO LEAGUE'S ELITE FOUR and prepare for the INTERNATIONAL POKEMON LEAGUE and fight against the WORLD'S GREATEST, RED, HIRO, MAY and DAWN! for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CROWN!
====================
Anyway, feedback would be greatly appreciated and all VALID - (IE: NO SPAMMING THIS THREAD) comments will be greatly appeciated... I currently do not need a team of people as I find I get a great satisfaction being able to work on all of my projects of all kinds on my own... so sorry for those who would like to help.
====================

I will add more maps and screenshots as they become avaliable, and a demo when the appropriate time comes that there is significant enough gameplay to make one worthwhile .

Thanks.
Old February 1st, 2008 (05:34 AM). Edited February 1st, 2008 by Avatar.
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
First post yeah. Anyway this is a good game and I think it will go somewhere.

Sorry for double post but Who is hiro
Old February 1st, 2008 (05:59 AM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
Sorry for double post but Who is hiro
I'm not 100% sure but thats what I believe Ive heard lots of people refer to the G/S/C male hero as.
Old February 1st, 2008 (06:40 AM).
Mitchman

Thanks but I remember him as Kameon and thats his name in acanthite oh did you also see my thread was it good
Old February 1st, 2008 (07:57 AM).
Shadez
-

Nature: Relaxed
i like the story and the international pokemon leaque
hope to see more of the game soon

@mitchman_93: kamon is the rival in the G/S/C series
i don't know the hero's name but it could be hiro
Old February 1st, 2008 (12:48 PM).
Mitchman

OH soooorry. The heroes real name is Hiro mabye
Old February 1st, 2008 (03:19 PM).
Mrchewy
nom nom nom

The mapping and storyline need some works, but this project looks quite promising. Here's a tip, though: don't mix R/S/E and FR/LG graphics together. You're using a R/S/E battle interface and overworlds, yet a FR/LG tileset? It just makes things look a bit... weird.
Old February 3rd, 2008 (12:02 PM).
wcdaily
Wizard needs food badly!

Nature: Lonely
i like the begining but on thing the top of the tree was in mid air.
Old February 3rd, 2008 (12:51 PM).
Lorem Ipsum

because I am now working on the scripting
Lies. This looks like a 100% poccil's Starter Kit game. The hero looks the same, the Battle system looks the same. Even the tileset looks exactly the same.
Old February 3rd, 2008 (01:47 PM).
Savant

It's already stated in the OP that the game is being made with Poccil's Starter Kit, not to mention you took that sentence completely out of context.

Maybe if you'd read the thread properly you wouldn't create such a stupid post?
Old February 3rd, 2008 (01:47 PM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by Lorem Ipsum View Post
Lies. This looks like a 100% poccil's Starter Kit game. The hero looks the same, the Battle system looks the same. Even the tileset looks exactly the same.
Yes well, I worded it wrong then when I say that I am working on the scripting, I meant for example the notes that come with it talk about how to add your own trainers and such to the game... and thats what I'm doing and meant by that... I never intended to take credit for all the pre-defined stuff. I even mentioned above that it WAS being made using poccil's Stater Kit:

Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm Marxj and this my Pokemon Fan-Game: "Flying Spectrum". I am making it in RPG Maker XP using "poccil's Pokemon Essentials" starter.
Old February 3rd, 2008 (07:38 PM).
Nova92
NovaShark Unlimited Webmaster

Send a message via AIM to Nova92 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Nova92 Send a message via Yahoo to Nova92
Looks good hopefully this will get finished because you've got some good ideas
Old February 8th, 2008 (08:35 PM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

Hey everyone, I dunno if it seems like I've been too long updating or not but regardless I'm still working on the project... I'm just a little slow at it lol and therefore aren't able to advance at a fast pace.

Here is a numbered map and legend to the wonderful world of Muhto

====================
[THE WORLD OF MUHTO]
====================

1. Rainbow Seaside - ("HOME")
2. Route #1 - (1st BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER)
3. Amber Town - (PROFESSOR'S TOWN; WHERE YOUR JOURNEY REALLY BEGINS)
4. Route #2
5. Ruby Town - (2nd GYM)
6. Route #3
7. Mt. Crescent
8. Route #4
9. Opal Town - (1st GYM)
10. Route #5
11. Route #6
12. Jade Town
13. Route #7 and Emerald Woods - (2nd BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER)
14. Emerald Town - (3rd GYM)
15. Star Cruiser - (3rd BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER)
16. Route #8
17. Amethyst City - (4th GYM)
18. Route #9
19. The Spectral Sea
20. Route #10
21. Kunzite City - (5th GYM)
22. Route #11
23. Onyx Town - (4th BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER)
24. Route #12
25. Route #13
26. Route #14
27. Mirage Cavern - (6th BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER)
28. Route #15
29. Route #16
30. Topaz Town - (6th GYM)
31. Route #17
32. Route #18 - (BLACK EARTH'S HIDEOUT/FINAL ENCOUNTER)
33. Route #20
34. Opal Iceburg - (ARTICUNO'S RESTING PLACE)
35. Ruby Volcano - (MOLTRES'S RESTING PLACE)
36. Route #21
37. Citrine Tower - (ZAPDOS'S RESTING PLACE)
38. Route #22
39. Sapphire Oasis - (LUGIA'S RESTING PLACE)
40. Route #23
41. Route #24
42. Mandarin Tower - (HO-OH'S RESTING PLACE)
43. Diamond Town - (7th GYM)
44. Route #19
45. Coral Town
46. Coral Cavern
47. Route #25
48. Route #26
49. Route #27
50. Route #28
51. Route #29
52. Route #30
53. Tourmaline Plateau & Victory Road

====================
[STORY UPDATE]
====================
In a series of experiment towards their attempt to control the world... Black Earth first focused on cloning simple particles, to cloning items which became finally perfected enough to replicate the legendary prototype Master-Ball.

At the time of these cloning experiments another squad of Black Earth had also been working on trials DNA
Now with a handful of Master-Ball's in hand, the leader of Black Earth has captured the legendary Bird Pokemon and extracted their attributal DNA and injected them within one another to create "Try-Type" Pokemon... but t he experiements fail and the new Third attribute replace the original ones and now the balance of element and power is corrupted and along your journey to the different Pokemon GYM's of Muhto on your quest to be the champion of the "Tourmaline Plateau" youll come across the disturbances and must restore them to their original states and therefore restore Muhto to its original glory.

Also, where is this supposive 8TH GYM?
Old February 9th, 2008 (03:40 AM).
Mitchman

In the land of nowhere supposedly
Old February 9th, 2008 (06:45 AM). Edited February 9th, 2008 by marxj.
marxj
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
In the land of nowhere supposedly
You mean about the 8th gym right? ...I'll be releasing more info on that in the next couple of updates... though I already know where it is I wanna keep it a surprise a bit longer.
Old February 9th, 2008 (08:08 AM).
XSeerian
My name is actually Drenz!

Send a message via AIM to XSeerian Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to XSeerian Send a message via Yahoo to XSeerian
Why not just keep it hidden till the game releases? Wouldn't that make it a bit more suspensful?

Also, the story is quite promising. I like where your going with this project. I know it's in the the early stages, so I ain't going to critique you. But like I said, it's looks intensly promising. I especially like the thought put into the Muhto Region. Pretty dayum awesome, mang! ^__^

~Drenz

Imagine if someone Sprited that trainer pic in my Trainer Card? Gawd dayum...that'd be magnificent. Talk about a hardcore Main Character in a Pokemon Game. Haha! PM me if you you're interested in trying or already have sprited that Trainer pic...I want to use a character like that for my game's main character!
Old February 12th, 2008 (11:39 PM). Edited February 13th, 2008 by marxj.
marxj
Beginning Trainer

[TITLE SCREEN]
====================

====================
[IN-GAME MAPS]
====================
Rainbow Seaside - ("HOME")
Route #1 - (1st BLACK EARTH ENCOUNTER & FIRST POKEMON EVENT)
Amber Town - (PROFESSOR'S TOWN; WHERE YOUR JOURNEY REALLY BEGINS)
Route #2
Ruby Town - (2nd GYM)
Route #3

====================
[GYM LEADER: SNEEK PEAK]
====================
GYM #1: Opal Town Pokemon Gym
POKEMON TYPE: Ice
LEADER: Allan
BADGE: Blueskid Badge

------------------------------
GYM #2: Ruby Town Pokemon Gym
POKEMON TYPE: Fire
LEADER: Josh
BADGE: Redblaze Badge

------------------------------
GYM #3: Emerald City Pokemon Gym
POKEMON TYPE: Grass
LEADER: Pauline
BADGE: Greenleaf Badge

====================
[TEAM BLACK EARTH]
====================
MEMBER STATUS: Grunt

====================
[*POSSIBLE* NEW POKEMON]
====================
THESE POKEMON ARE ONES THAT I HAVE MADE TO PUT IN MY GAME... BUT AFTERWARDS DISCOVERED I CAN'T MAKE 'BACK VIEW' GRAPHICS FOR THEM FOR BATTLE WHEN THE PLAYER USES THEM... SO UNTIL I AM ABLE TO IT IS ASSUMED THESE WON'T MAKE IT INTO THE GAME... BUT YOU NEVER KNOW... AS I STILL WOULD LIKE TO SOMEHOW ADD THEM
------------------------------------
NAME: Foxoid
TYPE: Fire
1ST EVOULTION: Foxloy - (Fire)
2ND EVOLUTION: Foxizard - (Fire)

NAME: Yelaristar
TYPE: Water
1ST EVOULTION:Bluearistar - (Water)
2ND EVOULTION: Redaristar - (Water) OR Metalaristar - (Water/Steel)

NAME: Bulboom
TYPE: Grass
1ST EVOLUTION: Bulboomy - (Grass)
2ND EVOLUTION: Bulbooma - (Grass) OR Bulbocean - (Grass/Water)

NAME: Snake
TYPE: Psychic
1ST EVOLUTION: Snakly
2ND EVOLUTION: Snakans

NAME: Slye
TYPE: Dark
1ST EVOLUTION: Sylger
2ND EVOLUTION: Slygal

NAME: Kanga
TYPE: Fighting
1ST EVOLUTION: Ninjanga
2ND EVOLUTION: Sumga

NAME: Octolocked
TYPE: Water
1ST EVOLUTION: Duplilocked
2ND EVOLUTION: Trioctolocked

NAME: Cata
TYPE: Bug
1ST EVOLUTION: Cene OR Milli
2ND EVOLUTION: None OR Eele

NAME: Cene
DOESN'T EVOLVE

NAME: Milli
EVOLVES INTO Eele

====================

---------------------------------------------------
MY EMERALD TEAM:
Old February 13th, 2008 (01:13 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Interesting Pokémon... But I have one thing to say: CHANGE THE NAMES! Try thinking of more creative and longer names, and remember the length limit is 10 chars.

Oh yes, and the light on the Grunt's face is coming from a different direction. Fix it.
Old February 13th, 2008 (02:27 AM).
feltpens
Donator Tier 1

Nature: Adamant
Also, the Grunt's legs don't fit with his head (too short). I imagine a lot of those Trainer sprites are Frankensteins?

Anyways!:

The map is beautiful, the place names are good, and what you've shared of the story is exceptional! The name "Black Earth" is terribly frightening and cool.

My complaints/suggestions:
-Does Black Earth yet have a REASON for wanting to throw the world into chaos? Is this going to be kept a secret? I do so love surprises!
-Fakemon are a big turn-off for a lot of people, myself included. But if you're set on including them, why not make two more birds to complete the spectrum (ROYGBIV)? Orange and Violet legendary birds!
-Like has been said, you need a bit more experience with tiling, but I'm sure you'll sort that out.
-Your Gym Leaders look a bit boring, where Gym Leaders are usually over-the-top and flamboyant, or at least distinguished in some way. Throw a mustache on of those guys, give that girl's skirt a funny pattern. Just something to consider!

All in all, it's looking very good. I don't usually post in threads like these, but from reading your blurb about the story (which was actually written with decent grammar, by the way!), this seems like a smart and reasonably well-executed idea that I wish to support. It's like the standard Pokemon story with added depth.

I'd stay away from Fakemon if I were you, though. Word to the wise.
i am a heron. i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Old February 13th, 2008 (07:01 AM). Edited February 13th, 2008 by Henry987.
Henry987
Pokémon Shiny Red:D

Really nice game!
So Whats its going to be in the end, will some legendary Pokémon attack a city? :P
Like from ruby when Kyogre and groudon attacked eachother :P
But keep it up!
And good luck whit your game!
Old February 13th, 2008 (09:41 PM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

POKEMON TYPE: Psychic
LEADER: Matthew
BADGE: Violeteye Badge

MY EMERALD TEAM:
Old February 13th, 2008 (11:31 PM).
Mrchewy
nom nom nom

The Pokémon sprites are OK, but the trainer sprites really, REALLY need some work. The pasted on heads look kind of silly, and the little editing you did makes the trainers look like they'll fall over at any moment.

Also, do you actually plan on editing the starter kit at all? Because you really are just using the same battle systems, tilesets, sprites, etc. To be quite frank, the default graphics for the starter kit aren't great (i.e using an Emerald interface with FRLG tiles is just weird).

So yeah, personally I think this game really needs work: it shows promise, yes, but it has many amateur flaws that need to be fixed.
Old February 14th, 2008 (01:10 AM).
marxj
Beginning Trainer

Thanks guys for all the feedback so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchewy View Post
The Pokémon sprites are OK, but the trainer sprites really, REALLY need some work. The pasted on heads look kind of silly, and the little editing you did makes the trainers look like they'll fall over at any moment.

Also, do you actually plan on editing the starter kit at all? Because you really are just using the same battle systems, tilesets, sprites, etc. To be quite frank, the default graphics for the starter kit aren't great (i.e using an Emerald interface with FRLG tiles is just weird).

So yeah, personally I think this game really needs work: it shows promise, yes, but it has many amateur flaws that need to be fixed.
As far any original sprites... for example the trainer sprites... I have taken note that there are the odd problem with them but for the most part I quite like the trainers that I have done I probably won't do too much to change them... don't get me wrong though, the reason I'm opting not to do so is (and as most of the stuff) I'm new to the whole sprite editing thing so thoguh their not quite 100% to par, I'm pretty satisfied.

I'm more or less thinking of just using the starter kit as is... I really like the tilesets personally and I'm much worse at tileset revamping then the whole sprite creating/editing and as for the battle system, I dont know much about how to edit the programming language so I'm trying to keep the amount of editing to the scripting I do to the simpler things like adding trainers for example... without the sufficiant knowledge I might do more harm then good to the battle system...

I do hope that people will look at more then just the slight mix between the graphics and my custom sprites and look at the project as a whole as I complete more of it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltpens
Does Black Earth yet have a REASON for wanting to throw the world into chaos? Is this going to be kept a secret? I do so love surprises!
I'm sort of working backwards with the whole Black Earth plot... at the moment they are more intent on brining upon a 'new-age' 'new-world' kind of deal... however, I want to change this a bit but I'm not quite sure how yet (as that part of my idea has been done many times on many games and anime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry987
So Whats its going to be in the end, will some legendary Pokémon attack a city?
Like from ruby when Kyogre and groudon attacked eachother
I won't tell yet of all 'incidents' but I will share ONE of these major calamities...

"BORN UNTO ICE, CONVERTED TO FLAME. LEST ICE I BECOME, A WORLD GONE BLUE!"

Each birds NEW attribute will have a negative effect on its natural habitat in which it guards and calls home and this negative effect will in time destroy any neighboring cities and or routes... so you as the HERO must to battle with them one by one and defeat them (you wont get to capture them till after you've beaten the GYM/POKEMON LEAGUE quest.)
and during these battles as you succeed, they run out of the strength they need to sustain their new forms and revert back to their original forms then rest up and all is well!

The above quote refers to ARTICUNO the bird of ICE turning into a RED ARTICUNO who now controls MOLTRES'S FIRE... but its natrual instinct is to return to its home on the ICEBURG'S near Opal Town... but unless its changed back from FIRE to ICE... its newly aquired powers will soon melt the burgs and cause a great flood that will ultimately destroy the neighboring town and routes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSeerian
Why not just keep it hidden till the game releases? Wouldn't that make it a bit more suspensful?
I'm still debating weather or not to mention where it is or not yet and I do like the idea of 'keeping it hidden till the game releases' but I think I will at least give a *HINT* (a bit of yet another riddle I just came up with... as silly, maybe even 'dumb' as it may be lol) that may or may not give it away:

"The world is ever turning and as time continues its constant flow, the cities below don't sleep... the growth of a community is everchanging."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wichu
Interesting Pokémon... But I have one thing to say: CHANGE THE NAMES! Try thinking of more creative and longer names, and remember the length limit is 10 chars.

Oh yes, and the light on the Grunt's face is coming from a different direction. Fix it.
The names may be a little cheesy and unoriginal but, (not the sprites) but the fakemon themselves, I created back when I was around 12-13 and for some reason I've always liked to keep to the names I gave them... but as stated I might not even get a chance to use them.

As for the Grunt's face... I never actually noticed before that the shading was the wrong side (I'm not very good at figuring out on drawings and sprites where the shading should be)

----------
Aside from all this, I was wondering, hypothetically (only if I were able to actually make the sprite 'backs' for my fakemon)... I was thinking of originally having the starters be:

Slye, Snake and Kanga (Dark, Psychic, Fighting)... (DARK beats PSYCHIC -> PSYCHIC beats FIGHTING -> FIGHTING beats DARK) I just thoguht it'd be a nice change from always having GRASS->WATER->FIRE

As for all other feedback, thanks everyone else for all the positive things said, I hope you'll enjoy my updates in the future .

MY EMERALD TEAM:
Old February 14th, 2008 (01:16 AM).
Wichu
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxj View Post
Slye, Snake and Kanga (Dark, Psychic, Fighting)... (DARK beats PSYCHIC -> PSYCHIC beats FIGHTING -> FIGHTING beats DARK) I just thoguht it'd be a nice change from always having GRASS->WATER->FIRE
Then you run the risk of the starters being weaker, as Fire, Water and Grass are generally more useful. :)
Old February 14th, 2008 (02:55 AM).
Lorem Ipsum

marxj: Psychic, Dark and Fighting types do not form a triangle. Look: Fighting beats Dark, Dark beats Psychic, Psychic beats Fighting. BUT, when you turn it the other way round, it doesn't work like Grass, Fire and Water do.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links