The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 19th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Shining Dragonite
Beginning Trainer

Ok, this is a really noob question, but...

I'm moving away from the overt simplicity of hacking Advance Gen. games, and am setting my sights on making hacks of gb/gbc games; namely Blue and Gold.

Now here's where the noobness comes in;

I have a hex editor, and have been able to write text to certain parts of the rom, but I'm not sure how to implement that text to be said by one of the characters/signs, because it asks me for a text bank and a text block, whatever that means.

So, what is the Text Bank and Text Block's relation to the text's actual location, in hex, within the rom?

:/
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:27 PM
IIMarckus
J946@5488AA97464

Originally Posted by Shining Dragonite View Post
I have a hex editor, and have been able to write text to certain parts of the rom, but I'm not sure how to implement that text to be said by one of the characters/signs, because it asks me for a text bank and a text block, whatever that means.

So, what is the Text Bank and Text Block's relation to the text's actual location, in hex, within the rom?
The "text block"/"text bank" label in Goldmap is mislabeled. It has nothing to do with text -- it's actually the two-byte pointer to the script, as you can see if you check out the scripts in hex. To do what you're asking (make it so that people can say things), you should look up scripting; cooley has a tutorial a few pages into the Documents/Tutorials section. And if you haven't already, read up on pointers.

As an aside, Blue is very unfriendly if you don't already know how it works. I recommend sticking with Gold until you have a bit more experience editing GBC games.
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:31 AM
lennycharriez315
Beginning Trainer

i kind a need help hacking my roms.......ok i have a couple of problems.

1.need a link to diamond cutter.
2.how to add scripts in the game.
3.and making scripts that work....

can any body help me please ill seny you a copy of my psp hacking guide. which is real good. especially on custom firmware details. or you can do it of kindness.
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:50 AM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
read tutorials on how to add scripts in the ROM.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:34 AM
lennycharriez315
Beginning Trainer

were do i read the tutorial
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Scyther X
Shadow Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennycharriez315 View Post
were do i read the tutorial
Ummm i belive u can find tha tutorials at tha top of tha page, that says Documents & Tutorials...But dazt jus me
Old June 20th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Binary
え?

Quote:
i kind a need help hacking my roms.......ok i have a couple of problems.

1.need a link to diamond cutter.
2.how to add scripts in the game.
3.and making scripts that work....

can any body help me please ill seny you a copy of my psp hacking guide. which is real good. especially on custom firmware details. or you can do it of kindness.
I don't know about the Diamond cutter, but if you use pokescript, you could get some guidance from this tutorial for making scripts and inserting them. Or you could read up thethethethe's scripting tutorial. If you use scripted then this should help you through the basics of making a script and this should help you to compile them. Have fun.
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:29 AM
lennycharriez315
Beginning Trainer

Thanx alot ill check it out now..if you want the guide leave me ur email
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:37 AM
X-aveon
IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to X-aveon
whenever im in the middle of my hack, on visualboy advanced, pokemon ruby (AXVE), whenever a pokemon does string shot, the game freezes. if anyone would be kind to help, thnx. by the way, it might help if someone told me the number for string shot on unlz.gba. thnx.

I want that apple......
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:53 AM
lennycharriez315
Beginning Trainer

i need diamond cutter....
im trying to compile my scripts and the first rbklog opened now i need diamond cutter to finish it off.
can ya give me a link to "Diamond cutter" or upload your and then give me the link to download..please.......this is all i need to accually start my hack rom......i made the whole map already now i need to chance the script...
please can ya help me
Old June 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
colcolstyles
Yours truly

Nature: Lonely
Quote:
i need diamond cutter....
im trying to compile my scripts and the first rbklog opened now i need diamond cutter to finish it off.
can ya give me a link to "Diamond cutter" or upload your and then give me the link to download..please.......this is all i need to accually start my hack rom......i made the whole map already now i need to chance the script...
please can ya help me
Google "birmin studios" and click on the first link. Then, at the top, click on Hack Tools and it should be there.

Brother of Vrai
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM
X-aveon

can someone please answer my question

I want that apple......
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Diggeh
A horoscope of ambitions.

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Diggeh
Does anybody have the tile molester offset for Ruby's main font?
Old June 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Teh Baro
In my times...!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsRoxYourSox View Post
whenever im in the middle of my hack, on visualboy advanced, pokemon ruby (AXVE), whenever a pokemon does string shot, the game freezes. if anyone would be kind to help, thnx. by the way, it might help if someone told me the number for string shot on unlz.gba. thnx.
You have either overwritten the picture with the previous pic (find it in a clean rom) or edited wrong the "speed fell" text, It happened to me once while translating that the game froze when using ancientpower (if raised the stats) for similar reasons.
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
X-aveon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Baro View Post
You have either overwritten the picture with the previous pic (find it in a clean rom) or edited wrong the "speed fell" text, It happened to me once while translating that the game froze when using ancientpower (if raised the stats) for similar reasons.
thanx, but, ive looked in a clean rom already for it and i just cant find it. do you know where it is in unlz.gba, and what is the speed fell text?
on unlz.gba, it shows that im missing 194 on my hacked rom is there anyway to insert it?

I want that apple......

Last edited by X-aveon; June 20th, 2008 at 07:07 PM. Reason: new explanation
Old June 20th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Melash
Back for now.

Nature: Relaxed
Hey, I have a question: This guide was made by Coolboyman, it looks important, but I'm not sure how to use it! So, how can I use it in my hack? I'm using Windhex...
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:24 AM
Blazichu
Bahhhh?

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Blazichu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melash
Hey, I have a question: This guide was made by Coolboyman, it looks important, but I'm not sure how to use it! So, how can I use it in my hack? I'm using Windhex...
They are flags, you can activate them, reset them and check if they are on or off. The codes used are from 31-33 for Bit Table 1 and 34-36 for Bit Table 2.

←(left) the online world for life(MSN, PC etc.)~
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:52 AM
BlackRainbow*
Pokemon Coralo Version ?

Any one knows the offset for Fonts for FR in Tileed2002?
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
X-aveon

does anybody know how to get string shot to work? ruby (axve)

I want that apple......
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Tentachu
Movie Making Expert

What program do you use to edit/add/change battle sprites of Pokémon or the Professor at the beginning of Pokémon Gold?

That cave above Blackthorn City sure has changed...

SIGN THE G/S REMAKE PETITION HERE!

Watch my ROM Hack videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=WeirdEars

In case you didn't realize, I support ShinyGold!
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM
Teh Baro
In my times...!

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendsRoxYourSox View Post
thanx, but, ive looked in a clean rom already for it and i just cant find it. do you know where it is in unlz.gba, and what is the speed fell text?
on unlz.gba, it shows that im missing 194 on my hacked rom is there anyway to insert it?
well, keep looking. I don't know it and don't think noone has it written down.
And the speed fell text is "X's Y Z" where X is the rival pokemon, Y is attack, defense... and Z is rose/fell/sharply rose/sharply fell, but if you haven't edited battle texts it isn't it.
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM
·•CES•·
Beginning Trainer

Well, first, Can anyone tell me how to edit the sprite and data of the world map of gold/silver?
please, show me a tutorial o explain very well so i can understand it.
Secondly ( i have windows XP) I cant use pokemon HFD editor, the one who told me that i had
to use the arrows to load my rom was wrong, it doesnt work.
And finally, can someone tell me if i can edit the pokemon sprites (in battles) of pokemon red and blue?

Thanks
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
ℜªℳ
RAM Corporation |\/| ][ |\/|

Nature: Relaxed
I use GBcolorizer for my gold spriting. Is there a good substitute for this? If not then is it possible to import sprites as you can do with Hackmew and Xeon's OW?

Still spriting behind the curtains. I've tried splicing, I've tried scratching, I've tried pixel overs, I've tried revamps and am 90%+ awesome at it. Now its time for the devamps
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:53 AM
Hat?
Booted out - don't be like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tentachu View Post
What program do you use to edit/add/change battle sprites of Pokémon or the Professor at the beginning of Pokémon Gold?
AGIXP -- see the tool box

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXSaintXx View Post
Hi!
Well, first, Can anyone tell me how to edit the sprite and data of the world map of gold/silver?
Secondly ( i have windows XP) I cant use pokemon HFD editor, the one who told me that i had
And finally, can someone tell me if i can edit the pokemon sprites (in battles) of pokemon red and blue?

Thanks
you just navigate to the Gold ROM with the arrow keys, press Enter, it has instructions

your second question: not easily, not with a tool that does alot of the work for you
Old June 21st, 2008, 12:04 PM
·•CES•·
Beginning Trainer

I said that using the arrows dont work for me, do you understand?
And i know how to use HEX well, I know that I have to use that to edit the map, Dont
talk to me thinking that im an stupid ok? The thing i dont know is how i edit that.

I repeat my questions:
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links