The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 12th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Thrace
@tion

Advertise here
From the looks of your signature this thread needs some love. xD
I know I haven't posted here before but I actually use PKSV and not XSE now. I think its an excellent scripting tool. I think people are forgetting that this was one of the first "new-gen" script decompilers out. Unless I'm thinking of someone else, you collaborated with Mastermind_X right? You had the first complete database (by todays standards). Wow, if I'm wrong I'm making a total fool out of myself.

I've been using it since AdvanceMap could integrate script editors. Before it had a gui, I agree it would have been pretty daunting to the average user but now that it does I think people should at least give it a try. I'm totally hooked, I couldn't live without the auto-complete feature now.

And score_under, maybe you should think about giving your first post a make over? Maybe add some graphics and a bit of css? And remove some of those crazy technical terms? I think then it'll be a less intimidating.

So, do you have any new features you're planning score_under?
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:46 AM
score_under
I program the *other* ASM.

Nature: Rash
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshayabusa View Post
you collaborated with Mastermind_X right?
Why does everyone (2 people) think that I collaborated with Mastermind_X? I haven't even seen him active on the forums yet :p

Quote:
Before it had a gui, I agree it would have been pretty daunting to the average user but now that it does I think people should at least give it a try.
Yeah, I realized that and though hard of a solution. Then I saw Notepad2 and noticed it was open-source. I cracked that open and saw what made it tick, etc etc, and then I found that Scintilla would probably be my editing component of choice. It was a good choice

Quote:
And score_under, maybe you should think about giving your first post a make over? Maybe add some graphics and a bit of css? And remove some of those crazy technical terms? I think then it'll be a less intimidating.
Didn't notice any technical terms, myself - I just usually write what I'm thinking at the present time.
And yeah, my first post looks horrible! I shall fix it up...

Quote:
From the looks of your signature this thread needs some love.
Yeah - ~3% posted in YM's toolbox while ~0.5% posted in mine. That was rather weird.
Even if we swapped reply counts around, then still ~1% would have posted in mine and ~2% in his topic

Quote:
So, do you have any new features you're planning score_under?
If I can EVER find some free AND related toolbar icons on the whole of the internet, I may try to make a toolbar.

Last edited by score_under; July 12th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old July 16th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Rayky
Beginning Trainer

Old July 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Sweet Jasmine
s m i l e :)

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sweet Jasmine Send a message via Yahoo to Sweet Jasmine Send a message via Skype™ to Sweet Jasmine
yehey i learned to script now.from now on im a scripter haha thanks for this program it's very easy Thank you Very much♥`
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:28 PM
blackshadow
Beginning Trainer

Its a looks a great program but dosn't work on the shell.bat thing it just say acsess denied and i can't use some programs and more with the alzip and one of the programs is advance map.so can you plz plz plz help???

Old July 19th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Thrace
@tion

You're not going to tell people about the update with the toolbar? I guess its pretty minor.

Do you think you could make something that would make deleting scripts already in the game easy? I just need it for my emerald hack as I am running out of space fast. Maybe even just something that gives the offset of the end of the script (so I don't have to look for that 02 manually).
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:40 PM
metalmouth647
Beginning Trainer

works pretty good, but not what im looking for atm
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Ralor
Ice Climber Andrew

Hey this is a really cool script, I just started using it yesterday and I love it.

I just have one problem.

I made a script for a character and it worked perfectly. Then I tried making another script for a different character, and that worked too. But when I went to talk to the first character it said the same thing as the second character.

Help, please?
Old July 26th, 2008, 03:24 PM
score_under

This post applies to an OLD version of the program only, If you're wondering why I'm writing this little header message, it's because I called the updates "new" when they're rather old now.
Quote:
Its a looks a great program but doesn't work on the shell.bat thing it just say access denied and I can't use some programs and more with the alzip and one of the programs is advance map.so can you plz plz plz help???
The associateshell.bat needs to be run as administrator to associate it system-wide.
I don't understand the second part of the sentence, that you "can't use some programs and more with the alzip and one of the programs is advance map".

Quote:
You're not going to tell people about the update with the toolbar? I guess its pretty minor.

Do you think you could make something that would make deleting scripts already in the game easy? I just need it for my emerald hack as I am running out of space fast. Maybe even just something that gives the offset of the end of the script (so I don't have to look for that 02 manually).
I was guessing that people would notice the toolbar for themselves :p It's taking up a whole... about 26 pixels height? Something like that. Could have been 22. Not 24 though.
About the script eraser, I may try after I go to sleep (it's rather late) but wouldn't it be more efficient to erase old maps, as they love to take up space?

Quote:
Hey this is a really cool script, I just started using it yesterday and I love it.

I just have one problem.

I made a script for a character and it worked perfectly. Then I tried making another script for a different character, and that worked too. But when I went to talk to the first character it said the same thing as the second character.

Help, please?
You either used the same "#org" offset for both your scripts' text blocks, or you mispointed a msgbox command.

By the way, this seems to be the ONLY script editor which correctly decompiles "jump" (i.e. ends decompilation at that point, as if it were return or end) and the ONLY one which de/recompiles movement data! *at time of writing

With regards, again, to dshayabusa...
It now has a toolbar! Go wild!

EDIT:
Spoiler:

This is what XSE (incorrectly) does at this offset:
#org 0x16A689
msgbox 0x819133C '"All right!\nLet's get happening!"
callstd 0x4
goto 0x816A6A5
end

This is what PKSV (correctly) does at this offset:
1 -
2 |
3 |
4 |
5 \
#org 0x816A689
'-----------------------------------
msgbox 0x819133C ' All right!\nLet's get happening!
callstd MSG_NOCLOSE ' Non-closing msg
jump 0x816A6A5

If you are going somewhere else, it WON'T still execute the script, so DON'T decompile it. There's not meant to be an "end" statement on that script fragment!

Last edited by score_under; August 23rd, 2008 at 04:52 AM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Bishopk
meow :)

Nature: Hardy
An excellent tool.
I'm new to hacking, and this script editor makes everything a lot easier.
Well, I still need to learn a bit more about scripting... but hey, with the internet anything is possible.
Anyways, I give this two thumbs up
(Preferred) Pearl: 3651-8559-8001
Platinum: 1290-6232-5116
PBR: 0688-3287-1225
Old August 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
zatch325
Beginning Trainer

Hey hey hey! hey hey hey hey.... ok, you listening? Ok, Good, so I'm a newb here, and I don't know any kind of way to code, can you teach me with a step by step process on how to use the PKSVUI? because it's difficuilt to work it when you clueless on how to code
Old August 5th, 2008, 10:55 AM
DJnebula
Intermediate Hacker

Nature: Timid
wow, what a nice peice of kit, This is going to make learning script a WHOLE lot easier.

Crisis Core
Old August 7th, 2008, 07:21 AM
score_under

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatch325 View Post
Hey hey hey! hey hey hey hey.... ok, you listening? Ok, Good, so I'm a newb here, and I don't know any kind of way to code, can you teach me with a step by step process on how to use the PKSVUI? because it's difficuilt to work it when you clueless on how to code
It gets easier when you're more accustomed to this kind of scripting.
The best way to see an example script is to decompile one - for example, the berry script in Pokémon Ruby is the default address for decompiling from (press F8 in PKSV-UI and you will see what I mean).
If you want to see the "Burrito of Doom" script, then go back to the first page...
But if you want to know what things do first, a basic guide:
Quote:
#org : Starts writing data to this offset. Only the last 6 hex digits of the offset are used, as GBA can't handle more than this. If you don't define it in hex, then it is converted to hex first (internally).
#define : Not used in decompiled scripts. Applies an alias to a value. (eg. #define dead-food 0xDEADF00D , or #define newspace FREESPACE100). If you define something as free space, use the format "#define NAME freespaceAMOUNT", where name is what you want to call the free space and amount is how much space you need, in bytes in hex.
#raw : Writes 1 byte to ROM. In other words, if you are trying to write something bigger than 255 (0xFF) then you need more #raw blocks, or a "." command.
. : Not used in decompiled scripts. Writes a hex string to a ROM. (eg. ". Deface dead f00d" would write the hex string "DE FA CE DE AD F0 0D" to ROM)
jump : Continues script execution at a different position.
call : Same as jump, but a "return" will cause it to return to the position this command is at.
message X/showmsg/waitbutton/closemsg : Shows the message at offset X.
msgbox X/callstd MSG_NORMAL : Same as above, but not as flexible.
loadpointer 0 X/callstd MSG_NORMAL : Not used in decompiled scripts. Now you're just being silly.
I hope this is enough for you to get started!
Old August 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Nnmaru
French Princess! :)

Awesome! I likey.
It saves a lot of time for noobs like me that get confuzzled easily :3
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:31 AM
score_under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnmaru View Post
Awesome! I likey.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnmaru View Post
It saves a lot of time for noobs like me that get confuzzled easily :3
(The first reason I built the GUI was because it was going to contain a script generator... you're either referring to that or the autocomplete, I think)

I'm welcome to constructive criticism, reviews, ratings, comments, suggestions, help with front-page design, help requests, and general chat about the program... Fire away!
Old August 10th, 2008, 08:23 PM
rdude35
Beginning Trainer

is there a mirror i cant seem to access that website
Old August 11th, 2008, 03:11 AM
score_under

If you can't even reach it at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pk-script-view
then either SourceForge is down or your ISP doesn't like it!

(1.4.9 version hosted on SolidFiles.com also: )
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
since you wrote a program you know what the technical terms mean maybe you could write what they mean and how to use them cuz i have not found no one else who has done that and i think that would really help us noobish hackerz who can't script or even add this to a new version of the program

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
score_under

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjoejohnson View Post
since you wrote a program you know what the technical terms mean maybe you could write what they mean and how to use them cuz i have not found no one else who has done that and i think that would really help us noobish hackerz who can't script or even add this to a new version of the program
I'm sorry, I don't usually realize when I'm overusing technical terms - if you could point me in the right direction (i.e. what's confusing you?) then I could help clear that up for you.
Old August 11th, 2008, 05:18 PM
rdude35
Beginning Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by score_under View Post
If you can't even reach it at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/pk-script-view
then either SourceForge is down or your ISP doesn't like it!

(1.4.9 version hosted on SolidFiles.com also: )
cool is that the latest version?
Old August 12th, 2008, 04:02 AM
score_under

It is so far.
I may upload (once I find what I should put in to the next version) each version if people continuously cannot access the main site.
Old August 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Aztekia
As happy as a pig in sugar

I'm sorry if you have answered this earlier in the thread, but I am really stuck.

No matter how much I try, I can't make the addpokemon command work. It's vital to the mod me and my friend are making, so I just wanted to know how to do it.

Most of the time the compiled text says: 'Unknown value in addpokemon (Value must be integer)
Old August 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Full Metal
C(++) Developer.
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Full Metal
Quote:
Originally Posted by score_under View Post
I'm sorry, I don't usually realize when I'm overusing technical terms - if you could point me in the right direction (i.e. what's confusing you?) then I could help clear that up for you.
well just about all the stuff like if i look at the auto complete thingy there are a few i understand like addpokemon and checkitem and check flag and set flag but ehh heh everything else is JUMBO MUMBO at the moment :'( SO SAD I KNOW

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
and push it,
until my luck is over.
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:05 PM
score_under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztekia View Post
I'm sorry if you have answered this earlier in the thread, but I am really stuck.

No matter how much I try, I can't make the addpokemon command work. It's vital to the mod me and my friend are making, so I just wanted to know how to do it.

Most of the time the compiled text says: 'Unknown value in addpokemon (Value must be integer)
You're using Fire Red, right? Add 3 more 0x0s on to the end, so it has 6 values (Fire Red needs this, Ruby is fine without it).
Quote:
well just about all the stuff like if i look at the auto complete thingy there are a few i understand like addpokemon and checkitem and check flag and set flag but ehh heh everything else is JUMBO MUMBO at the moment :'( SO SAD I KNOW
Well, take Sprite to be Person (movesprite -> means moveperson). getplayerxy... gets the x/y coordinates of the player. Warp=teleport, var = variable. I don't really know what else... But a rule of thumb is, if you haven't come across it you probably won't need it... although more commands people haven't come accross are still trying to be researched
I guess you already know what "falldownhole" does!

Hm, I wonder who minimum-rated this thread without a reason, post, PM, visitor message or the like?
Suspect list:
1. Darthatron
2. --This space for rent--

Er, that over... Thanks to Cooley and Blazichu I will soon be adding Pokémon Gold scripting support to the program! (Won't that be a sight to see!)
Old August 15th, 2008, 03:15 PM
score_under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztekia View Post

You're using Fire Red, right? Add 3 more 0x0s on to the end, so it has 6 values (Fire Red needs this, Ruby is fine without it).
Quote:
Well, take Sprite to be Person (movesprite -> means moveperson). getplayerxy... gets the x/y coordinates of the player. Warp=teleport, var = variable. I don't really know what else... But a rule of thumb is, if you haven't come across it you probably won't need it... although more commands people haven't come accross are still trying to be researched
I guess you already know what "falldownhole" does!

Hm, I wonder who minimum-rated this thread without a reason, post, PM, visitor message or the like?
Suspect list:
1. Darthatron
2. --This space for rent--

Er, that over... Thanks to Cooley and Blazichu I will soon be adding Pokémon Gold scripting support to the program! (Won't that be a sight to see!)

Sponsored Links

Advertise here