The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Roleplay Corner > Roleplay Lounge

Notices

Roleplay Lounge Lounge about in Out-Of-Character discussions linked to individual roleplays. This is the best place to find existing roleplays to join, or create the sign-up thread for a roleplay of your own!

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 27th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Nature: Quirky

Advertise here
Yay! People are posting here again! :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayaira View Post
2. He responds but says: "I totally forgot I made that RP. LOL!" <- Gtfo.
or, "I've been way to busy to manage that board and didn’t have time to tell anyone!" <- Bullfeet. Why are you responding to this then?

3. He picks a fight, saying he did remember the RP, the site just didn’t work on his computer, or it wouldn’t let him post.. etc. etc. and whatever, whatever. We all know its Bullfeet.
[/FONT]
Erm...not to rain on your parade or anything, but I'd like to point out that there's a slight difference between having the time to occasionally reply to a PM and having the time to run an RP and keep posts of proper quality coming. In my experience, the former tends to consume far less time than the latter. (Hence why I, with a heavy heart, shut down Neo Genesis when my draftee period started; I thought it was preferable to leaving everyone with the dreaded 'now what?' scenario) Just up and disappearing without even dropping a simple one-line excuse, however, is a completely different matter and one of the rudest things you can do to your RPers. The least you owe them is an OOC of apology/explanation. :<

Also, sometimes the site really doesn't work/let people through. Again, personal story: I poofed from here for almost two months once because I was too much of a ditz to realize that one of the site urls (the 'theud' one, as I recall) was up and running but the other was still down after the last server crash. But yes, nine out of ten times the 'I couldn't post' thing is just BSing.

And like, I'd give my full views on the RPing commitment thing, but seeing as how I've been harping about it for...what? Two and a half years now? I think I'll spare you guys the full rant this time around. XD Suffice to say that I'm behind Loki's stance on this 110%. Commitment, peoples! Commitment! >O

Scandalous Maido Love Affair and Pair: Phani
Estranged Ex: The RP Section Rules
Sworn Rival For All Eternity and about five minutes beyond: Chibi
Illegitimate Lovechild: Mika
Card-gaming Beta on a Leash: Scarlet

Old June 27th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Sayaira
Pokemon fan since 1993.

@Alter Ego: Meh, I was just ranting/venting. (Rain all you want? o_o) I haven’t had a chance to in a while.
(By the way, wasn’t Neo Genesis a site? As the name sounds familiar)

I joined a REALLY good role-play (no, really. Its plot was far better then most) with some friends about a month back, expecting something good (as people usually do?). A few days past and we all thought the creator of the thread was just busy or adding to the thread, etc. etc. A week past, and I sent him a private message asking if the role-play was even going ahead.
No reply. (big surprise there D: )

I sent him another message a few days ago asking the same thing - and yet again;
No reply.

Anyway about my previous post, I was just lumping the two together as excuses, but you're right. There is a difference between them.
I don’t know how many times I've been in a good role-play, and either the leader quits or most of the members do. If they do respond to my message/messages (I usually send one after about a week of not responding to the RP, if I actually like its plot and such), its usually either:
"I forgot about that, whoops!"
or
"My computer wouldn’t let me post!"

Its really annoying, especially for an up-and-coming RPer/writer/etc. like me, who really gets into the storyline after a few posts - and its happened far too many times for me to be comfortable with. And, as Loki or someone else has probably pointed out, if you don’t have time to Role-play in the first place, please don’t bother signing up. D:

Quote: "Commitment, peoples! Commitment!"

My own Pokémon.
Old June 28th, 2008, 08:18 AM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via AIM to The Mega Champion Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
lol. Yeah. I usually truly try to get into all the RP's I've participated in. As long as they have a good story, then I can usually look forward to the RP and really get into them. Unfortunately, most of the RP's I've been in have either died or have canceled. But, those RP's the RP Master actually said something. It's like a jinx or something. :(.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5.

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Brad
The Paper Fastener

I have one- the words Adventure, Journey and Quest. If I see one more uncreatively named RPG from new people in this subforum I may have to puke.

Banner made by Souless!!!!

My PC Family- PM me to either be paired with me or join teh family.
Evil Twins with: Souless
Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Phoenix_Mew
Trainer of all things adorable

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Phoenix_Mew
Sometimes, those words are the only ones able to describe what's going on in the roleplay. And while they're a decent standby roleplay, I do prefer to join something a little more innovative.

(Hopefully one such brainchild of mine will be up here soon... if a mod approves it...)
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
Brad
The Paper Fastener

I'm just miffed that our RPG forums were suddenly flooded with new RPGs. PMD RPG's are huge, etc- and I want the better stuff back- PLF, stuff by the mods and other veterans... I'm not saying all newb RPG's are bad, but most are not in the same league as the others. Not that mine are ever any good- I have no confidence in my skills...

Old August 4th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Send a message via AIM to The Mega Champion Send a message via Skype™ to The Mega Champion
^^^Neither do I. I've never even tried to make an RP and probably never will. I'm only good with fanfiction plots. RP plots? Not so much. I just don't think I have the skills to make and moderate an RP. Which is why I always just join one, not make one.

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Old August 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Personally, I think the biggest problem I've seen around here lately, aside from the usual attendance hassle and people-not-reading-the-damn-rules, would be...

Houlier-than-thou attitudes.

Seriously, I've seen people with sign-ups that look weak at best picking on others, whose profiles were unfailingly either equal or better in quality. Similarly, newbs taking it upon them - by some obscure logic which I do not comprehend - to mini-mod other people's RPs, passing judgment like they were some kind of RPing messiahs or at the very least the proud owners of their very own death notes, and - most amusingly - people posting two-liner posts to complain about other peoples' three-line posts and pure OOCs to complain about the OOC spammage. *Rolls eyes* Seriously, guys; common sense and manners. This is supposed to be for fun.

As for the quality gap issue...it seems to be a matter of attitudes, sadly. Most of the RPing veterans are already stretched pretty thin in managing to get their foruming needs done and as such they primarily join RPs hosted by - you guessed it - other veterans because those are the only ones for which they have some kind of guarantee of quality. This, in turn, leads to the spots in said RPs getting filled up by a more or less regular cast of veterans, as their profiles tend to be drastically better than those of newbs. Thus, newbs are either too intimidated or unwilling to put in the effort to join a veteran RP and stick to the ones where you basically get approved for managing to write something - anything - into each one of those little fields in even semi-legible English, in other words: RPs which few veterans would deign to touch even with a ten-foot barge pole, at least for any other purpose than to laugh at and/or be frightened by them. Veterans RP with veterans, and newbs RP with newbs. Newbs don't get to learn from veterans and aren't pushed to writing as well as they really could because the newb RP masters are either completely unconcerned by any measure of writing standard or too scared of alienating RPers to ever enforce it while veterans are stuck playing in their own, slowly shrinking circles because there just aren't that many competent writers to go around. Consequently, we have a huge divide between newbs and veterans that can only really be crossed by those with unusual writing talent, prior writing experience, the right connections or the persistence and will to actually improve on their own. The discussion thread is deceased for all practical purposes and I have yet to find a single RP guide that actually covers IC posting or plot writing to any significant depth, so claiming that there is any real way to self-study your way to being a good RPer with those is questionable to say the least.

At least...that's my take on it. *Shrug*

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Brad
The Paper Fastener

Yeah, I know. I was actaully planning to make of mock RPG, where you sign up as a really bad stereotype. I was going to be one of them- the evil satanic supermuscular antisocial dude with a dark past.

As usual, you are right... I sort of suck. I can write English, but my creativity is that of a donkey, and my ideas are so crazy that I get yelled at. Kansas knows all about it. Sorry Kansas... really sorry. Autism really does suck for me sometimes.

I've also seen the veteran Rpgs, save YZ, which is like if gods RP'ed, dry up eventually. As a lurker, I've seen a lot of good RP's just die off. The gap really dries up the amount of RP'ers, and some people dissapear. There are also the mediocre people- not illiterate enough to be newbs, but not good enough to get into most veteran RP's. Like me. I am that.

I am also seeing the same thing happening at other once RP-rich sites. Yes, SPPF. A lot of people joined, and the same thing is happening there. Of course, I abandoned SPPF for Poke, which I must say is better (for a mediocre class like me).

It's all a sad cycle. A really sad cycle. I used to spend my days RPing and thinking of ideas to post- now bygone for Civilization IV, an equally addicting, but less creative, activity. Its a shame, really...

Old August 8th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Nature: Calm
Send a message via Skype™ to Loki
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I've also seen the veteran Rpgs, save YZ, which is like if gods RP'ed, dry up eventually. As a lurker, I've seen a lot of good RP's just die off. The gap really dries up the amount of RP'ers, and some people dissapear. There are also the mediocre people- not illiterate enough to be newbs, but not good enough to get into most veteran RP's. Like me. I am that.
Well the attitude I had when going into YZ was... freakishly positive, to say the least. I still remember telling David, "I'm going to make this roleplay a success, no matter what it takes!" So even now, my face is still glued to the screen waiting like a rabid fangirl for the next chapter of BLEACH, making sure that there's nothing more than a 12 hour interval between the time someone posts and the time I end up reading the post. shut up, it's fun. So I think the attitude you have when you go into the RP really affects your interest in it. And the fact that David led us along like mules in the beginning really helped. xD!

But the attitude I had when signing up for like, The World Ends With You: Another Game was more like, "Oh, it's probably going to get past the first posts and be done with. Well whatever, might as well sign-up and see if it gets any further than what I'm expecting." And what do you know, it hasn't even started. <_<

Like I said, the attitude someone takes going into a roleplay will really impact how it's performance goes. If everyone's expecting it to die off, then it's going to die off, but if a collective group is determined enough to make the show go on, well. The show must go on. ;D

And I agree wholeheartedly with the name thing. I'm this close to banning 'Journey' and 'Adventure' from thread titles. xDDDD Kidding, kidding, for all those of you who think I'm a mindless tyrant.

Anyway, Alter Ego has a valid point. (As usual. :|)

Quote:
RPs which few veterans would deign to touch even with a ten-foot barge pole, at least for any other purpose than to laugh at and/or be frightened by them.
^ My sentiments put into the best form possible. [/laugh]

And on other notes, out of all the 'new people' I've RP'd with, the only one that ever got anywhere was Kansas. :| He was patient with it, put up with veterans and their selective, "Ugh-ness" towards newbies, and slowly he got good enough so that when he signed up for the 'veteran' roleplays, you didn't hear a collective groan from everyone who has 'automatically accepted' printed across their forehead. Every other newbie I've been acquainted with either lost interest, seemed to have something else going on in their lives that should've been a red flag for them to not join an RP that would cause them to hinder the progress of the RP, or it was just as if their brains fell out of their heads after they finished writing their sign-up.

<_<

I mean, I used to really admire Kansas for being so generous. He'd always be on the lookout for freshmeat- I mean, fresh material. I think that's something we should all do, but it was like nobody really appreciated it. The newbies he'd set his eyes on would always fail in some way or another. They wouldn't post on time, they did something totally unprecedented, I dunno, something always didn't work right. I mean, who wants to put effort in and get nothing in return?

I think that the Pokemon Roleplay section is a great place to nurture new RP'ers. After all, this place is my home; my n00b self's heart and soul. I think what we really need is people who are willing to read everything. I mean, I learned so much just from reading ShadowFaith's sign-up sheets. I'm sure people would be able to pick up little things that they can add to their posts and sign-ups if they just read other people's stuff.

Oh, and I especially hate it when people are like, "I don't know what more to add. DDD:" To me, that's just a translation for: "I don't want to add anything else." or "I'm too lazy, sue me." There's plenty to add! I think having a list of things you could add would probably help a lot...? Like, "Accessories" "Hair" "Bangs?" "Clothes" "Eyes" "Eye shape?" "Body shape" "Tall?" "Short?" "Feet size?" "Painted nails?" "Make-up?" "Skin texture" "Skin Color" Something like that?

I love guides, but when people aren't even reading things like the rules or announcements that make life easier for them, why would they read the guides? The only people I feel that actually take the time to read guides are the people who are already "veterans". <_< That's my outlook on them anyway, which is why I neglect to write any myself, even though I love to read them. :|

Quote:
The discussion thread is deceased for all practical purposes and I have yet to find a single RP guide that actually covers IC posting or plot writing to any significant depth, so claiming that there is any real way to self-study your way to being a good RPer with those is questionable to say the least.
Argh, the discussion thread was just a pent up building of frustration. It's like, you'd tell people this was wrong, that was wrong, and then they'd do a crap job of improving. It was a total failure, and most of the people posting in there had no reason to. <_< Their plots were good enough for people to move along with anyway.

Self-study is really the only way to improve in PC right now though. I mean, before it was a breeze to get better; We had a really good bulk of 'advanced', 'intermediate', and 'beginner' roleplayers. Intermediate roleplayers were like, the lifespan of the RP section; the people who didn't mind roleplaying with anybody, as long as they had acceptable grammar. But we lost the 'intermediates' or they were absorbed into the 'advanced', and now the valley between the top and bottom is a gaping crack in the planet. :| So there blows the idea of self-study.

I dunno, I'm just rambling on about nothing at this point. xD;

I do have a little idea I want to try though, but I need to talk it over with the RP owner, because I'm a terrible RP master, so even if I wanted to start an RP to see the different levels and help some people improve, I can't. xD!

Anyway, I'm not really thinking straight right now, but I'll probably give a better assessment later.

Last edited by Loki; August 8th, 2008 at 06:55 PM.
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Lusankya
The cake is a pie!

Well, I'm one of those newb RP'ers everyone is complaining about. I did a little RPing on some different forums, but those were highly unregulated, and well, crappy. And while I did read the rules and checked out all the links in the "The NEW Useful Links for New RPers" (the ones that worked, anyways), and I have to say most of them were pretty helpful. But if as far as "guides" go, if there aren't any better/ other ones, then it might help if those better/other ones were compiled. If there aren't, then oh well. I suppose I am in the minority as far as new RP'ers who read the rules and guides go, which is kinda sad. Really. But the only people who I've ever found it to be really a pain to RP with were those who couldn't take the time to word a post with proper English.

Also, the Pokemon Roleplay section seems to be all but abandoned by those "veterans". Well, I suppose I can understand why.

Paired with ♥~*Abby*~♥
Daughter: Kimichi-Sama | Son: Toxic_Moonlight | Sister:
.Twenty Six
Old August 8th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Well, I'm one of those newb RP'ers everyone is complaining about. I did a little RPing on some different forums, but those were highly unregulated, and well, crappy. And while I did read the rules and checked out all the links in the "The NEW Useful Links for New RPers" (the ones that worked, anyways), and I have to say most of them were pretty helpful. But if as far as "guides" go, if there aren't any better/ other ones, then it might help if those better/other ones were compiled. If there aren't, then oh well. I suppose I am in the minority as far as new RP'ers who read the rules and guides go, which is kinda sad. Really. But the only people who I've ever found it to be really a pain to RP with were those who couldn't take the time to word a post with proper English.

Also, the Pokemon Roleplay section seems to be all but abandoned by those "veterans". Well, I suppose I can understand why.
Well as far as guides go, the only ones I remember are ShadowFaith and Alter Ego's guides, and both of those are only Sign-up guides? Anyway, Alter Ego's guide is linked in the rules, but I'm not sure if it's only Other Roleplay. [/has a hard time keeping up with the edits on the rules for both sections. xD;;] (And I'm not under the impression that you're one of the newbs we're complaining about, since your grammar seems polished and your sentence structures are good. And you've read the rules and stuff, which earned a 'thank god people like this still exist' from me. xDD) You just need to add more bulk to your posts, is the only issue I'm seeing. I think AE is writing a 'four-lines-minimum' guide that might (I'm crossing my fingers) expand on making those super-ridiculously-long-god-like-essays that he writes on a regular basis, so you could probably check that out once he's done. ^^

As for PRP being abandoned by veterans, I definitely agree. But hopefully we can change that soon. :<

I was just recently re-reading the first few pages of this thread, (got a very good laugh at myself, and a very good re-evaluation on my level of intelligence which is seemingly very low) and I saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego
The "Nice Character": I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but...have you ever come across the endlessly understanding, kind, and encouraging character who'll forgive everyone for everything every time without a shadow of a doubt but is always ready to kick evil butt? These would be the polar opposite of "troublemaker" characters, I guess, bordering on the Mary-Sue/Gary-Stu category but without the L33T battle skills of doom. I mean sure, getting along with the rest of the cast is all well and good, but let's draw the line somewhere, m'kay? No-one can always be complete and utter friends with everyone else in the group and always agree with everything they say, that's not human! <.< The worst thing is, these accursed leppers are really hard to pin down because they aren't really godmodding or powerplaying (Since they don't force others to like them or miraculously win every battle) and certainly aren't disrupting the plot. The fact that they are making you, personally, pull out your hair and scream "Can't you act normal even once?!" is unfortunately not a very good basis for kicking them out of the RP, so make sure to stamp these infernal pests out in the sign-up process. Trust me, it will save you a lot of frustrated hair-pulling later on.
I died of laughter, because as of the creation of Dimitri: GUILTYGUILTYGUILTY. (... well kind of.) This thread is amazingly helpful actually. Re-reading everything. Duck-pond RPing reminds me of YZ in so many ways harharhar~ and I'm just seeing all these things we used to gripe about, and it's interesting to see how many more of those things I'm guilty of now. I love this thread. Ozy. You no longer come to PC. But you are still a god for making this thread. <3333

Last edited by Loki; August 8th, 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old August 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Lusankya
The cake is a pie!

Well, I find it rather difficult to make four lines of text in a conversation. I suppose the rule helps more than it hinders by a long shot, but it's just awkward to have to have your character say an entire paragraph, or wonder idly about the distant future, or feel the soft breeze of the wind against his/her/its skin/fur, when in real life, a simple "Yes" or "No" would have done the trick just as well. It makes conversations almost ridiculous.

Paired with ♥~*Abby*~♥
.Twenty Six
Old August 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I died of laughter, because as of the creation of Dimitri: GUILTYGUILTYGUILTY. (... well kind of.) This thread is amazingly helpful actually. Re-reading everything. Duck-pond RPing reminds me of YZ in so many ways harharhar~ and I'm just seeing all these things we used to gripe about, and it's interesting to see how many more of those things I'm guilty of now. I love this thread. Ozy. You no longer come to PC. But you are still a god for making this thread. <3333
Well, I wouldn't fully place Dimitri under this since it's not like he actually feels complete and utter kinship with everyone. (I mean, Yuki bugs him, Soren's comment rubbed him the wrong way, and seeing an entire squad of dead soldiers didn't exactly provoke the most empathic of reactions) There's a difference between a character who plays nice to avoid trouble and someone who's a genuine Messiah 24/7.

Besides, Fay is/was a friendship freak who completely puts his little peacemaking efforts to shame, so...

Very true about the duck pond, though to be fair we didn't exactly drive anyone off with angry quacking, they just kind of...dropped out on their own accord. =O

Quote:
Erm...yeah, if I saw something of decent quality with even a little bit of innovation to it (and which hasn't started yet) I'd probably lunge at this point, but sadly there are none to see. .__.

Quote:
Well, I find it rather difficult to make four lines of text in a conversation. I suppose the rule helps more than it hinders by a long shot, but it's just awkward to have to have your character say an entire paragraph, or wonder idly about the distant future, or feel the soft breeze of the wind against his/her/its skin/fur, when in real life, a simple "Yes" or "No" would have done the trick just as well. It makes conversations almost ridiculous.
True enough, as not all characters are wordy, but there's still tone and expression that can be addressed in the 'short replies' case without going out on a completely ridiculous tangent. The character's emotional reaction to whatever the question is, reasoning behind the decision etc. (unless, of course, it's something completely trivial like "Coffee?") are another source of material. The problem with writing a post that is just "yes" is that...well, what the heck is anyone supposed to give in response to that? "Okay, then."? Short posts without any details to pick up on only lead to even shorter posts as the less detail you give the less the next IC writer will have to work with, requiring more creative work on their side to compensate for the lack thereof from the other's. :\

Anyhow, the situations where the amount of topics that you can reasonable address has really, truly, honestly been reduced to a 'yes/no' prompt is usually one where two RPers have gone on a posting spree and left everyone else behind, in which case it's time to cool your jets and let others add to the story too. =O

Good point all the same, I'll have to address that in the guide that Loki already mentioned. (Way to go adding performance pressure J/K)

Seconding the attitude thing. If you just join an RP on a 'meh, why not?' mindset then you're most likely not going to be posting very much (or well) for it either, whereas if you join in in with fanpersonish fervor then you'll most likely also be checking up on the RP frequently, thinking stuff up outside of the time when you're writing, and just generally be more motivated for it. For me, whether or not I'm happy with the character I signed up is also an important motivational factor, hence why I always take so long to type out my profiles. :3

Old August 9th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Lusankya
The cake is a pie!

On the subject of roleplays of decent quality with even a little bit of innovation to it (well, at least I think it's of decent quality and somewhat innovative, but that's probably because I made it), I have a 3-page Word document containing the introduction for a roleplay I had been envisioning for a while now, but after the total and complete failure of my other roleplay, I want to get some feedback on the idea before I post it up. You can use the Roleplay Lounge for that, yes?

Paired with ♥~*Abby*~♥
.Twenty Six
Old August 9th, 2008, 01:08 PM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
True enough, as not all characters are wordy, but there's still tone and expression that can be addressed in the 'short replies' case without going out on a completely ridiculous tangent. The character's emotional reaction to whatever the question is, reasoning behind the decision etc. (unless, of course, it's something completely trivial like "Coffee?") are another source of material. The problem with writing a post that is just "yes" is that...well, what the heck is anyone supposed to give in response to that? "Okay, then."? Short posts without any details to pick up on only lead to even shorter posts as the less detail you give the less the next IC writer will have to work with, requiring more creative work on their side to compensate for the lack thereof from the other's.
I've been hawk-eyeing this conversation, and you bring up a good point. I'm brand new to RP'ing, and luck is the only thing that has saved me from asking yes/no questions or answering with a yes/no answer. So now what I'm going to try to do is, when my characters ask a question, I'll leave avenues open. Like "we could do this, or maybe this, or perhaps this." It gives the person responding a little more to work with.

That said, if you have to respond to a yes/no question, it would be a good time to add some description. Like a character checking his watch to see what time it is, or describing something important going on, or the like. Or even adding details to help with character building, like having a shy person hesitate or blush to maintain the character's persona in everyone's mind. This wouldn't always be a viable option, obviously, but it definitely would help with the "'yes,' so-and-so character answered." posts.

Old August 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Master Electrician
Pretty pretty lights

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Master Electrician
Quote:
Ozy. You no longer come to PC. But you are still a god for making this thread. <3333
I wasn't aware that I didn't, but whatever. Seriously, folks, this is my re-introduction to PC's roleplaying community, in new account format. There was about two years where I didn't have the time to devote to RPing on two sites. PC got sacrificed, as RPing here was pretty much dead when I left. Now, I ironically lack the time to RP consistently on the other, so I decided to come back. Little rusty, but back.

Honestly, it gives me a new appreciation for breaking into the community, I never realized quite how tightly knit we were when I was here before. That, and I had no idea something I typed up in a fit of pique would actually evolve into something useful.

To be a little more germane, I'm honestly a little bugged by the number of franchise-based RPs I see in Other Roleplay. I'm also pretty happy that there plenty of original ones, but I much prefer to play in an original world than an fully established one. Try and come up with an idea to hook everyone, not just people who know the series.
Old August 9th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Loki
its easy being with you
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Electrician View Post
I wasn't aware that I didn't, but whatever. Seriously, folks, this is my re-introduction to PC's roleplaying community, in new account format. There was about two years where I didn't have the time to devote to RPing on two sites. PC got sacrificed, as RPing here was pretty much dead when I left. Now, I ironically lack the time to RP consistently on the other, so I decided to come back. Little rusty, but back.

Honestly, it gives me a new appreciation for breaking into the community, I never realized quite how tightly knit we were when I was here before. That, and I had no idea something I typed up in a fit of pique would actually evolve into something useful. :P

To be a little more germane, I'm honestly a little bugged by the number of franchise-based RPs I see in Other Roleplay. I'm also pretty happy that there plenty of original ones, but I much prefer to play in an original world than an fully established one. Try and come up with an idea to hook everyone, not just people who know the series.
OZY. O_O!

I don't believe I've ever been so glad to be proven wrong. You and your new account. Pffft. <_< So very misleading. But hey, you got the message! A generally positive outcome. And in the end, you are still god for making this thread.

As for Other Roleplay, I think Other Roleplay and Pokemon Roleplay kind of switch off. If one forum is really lively, the other one is pretty desolate. I dunno, Other Roleplay isn't seeing the same activity as before. But I do agree; I love original world RP's as much as I love series-based ones. But I think that handling an original world RP is more difficult than one that's already been thoroughly explained, so people just kind of opt out.

And actually, here's another one, in the lovely old-fashioned style.

Over-Cautious: I remember that the main problem with the old original RP's that I personally experienced, is that nobody wanted to take the liberty of making something happen. Or like, it was hard to describe where the character was or what they were doing because we weren't sure of the surroundings. I think RPer's that create original world plots should encourage their members to contribute their own ideas and such, and not just leave it up to the RP creator time after time. Assure them that they don't mind if they take the liberty of sitting down on a rock in what was originally imagined to be an empty field of wheat.

That's not so much a completely negative bad habit, but more like something that shouldn't be overdone. That would probably go hand-in-hand with a paragraph about the 'Anal RP Creator'. xD; I think it's much easier to continue the movement of an RP if everyone is able to take little liberties that everyone else will just be flexible with.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Lusankya
The cake is a pie!

Does anyone else feel that there are too many of the classic journey-style Pokemon RPs though? Frankly, the mere thought of joining one of them bores me...

Paired with ♥~*Abby*~♥
.Twenty Six
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Quote:
Over-Cautious: I remember that the main problem with the old original RP's that I personally experienced, is that nobody wanted to take the liberty of making something happen. Or like, it was hard to describe where the character was or what they were doing because we weren't sure of the surroundings. I think RPer's that create original world plots should encourage their members to contribute their own ideas and such, and not just leave it up to the RP creator time after time. Assure them that they don't mind if they take the liberty of sitting down on a rock in what was originally imagined to be an empty field of wheat.
Haha, that's not just a phenomenon of original settings, you know. I remember one time in a journey RP where the cast was stuck in a pokémon center for one and a half pages because no-one dared to be the first to move it along. XD

And speaking of journey RPs...no kidding. They're everywhere, near-identical (right down to that weird system that seems to be in vogue right now) and often frequented by the same people too. I mean come on, one journey not enough for you guys? XD

PMD RPs are a close second in my book, and I have to admit that right now my incentive for joining either kind is truly null and void. :< This is not a modly decree or anything, but more variety would be nice.

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:33 AM
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Does anyone else feel that there are too many of the classic journey-style Pokemon RPs though? Frankly, the mere thought of joining one of them bores me...
If I want that, I'll just play the actual game. It really is boring-sounding...

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:35 AM
♥~*Abby*~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
If I want that, I'll just play the actual game. It really is boring-sounding...
Couldn't agree more, even though I am guilty of signing up for a few of them...

Well, bye.
Old August 11th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Alter Ego
that evil mod from hell

Meh, in the defense of journey RPs in general (for I am still an OT/Journey junkie at heart, and it is only with the greatest love that I bash down every fault within the genre I find <3), they can be good and entertaining when done right. It's just that when you have your basic cookie-cutter edition in large amounts it really starts getting old. :<

Ah well, RPers will be RPers. There used to be a similar phenomenon with pokémorph RPs a year or two back, as I recall, and now look at the section. None to be seen. XD

Old August 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
♥~*Abby*~♥

Good point. A great example of a good journey thread is Oni Raichu's "A Journey". He only accepts good RPers, so it's a fun thread to post in. :D

Well, bye.
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:57 PM
The Mega Champion
Strategist

Wow... all these new posts took quite awhile to read...

Anyway... I pretty much agree with everything that has been said.

Journey RP's? Don't get me started. When a new RP pops up, I tend to check it, Journey or not. Guess what I've noticed? Pretty much what you guys have already said. The Journey RP's are all pretty much the same. No originality whatsoever.

As for PMD RP's... I'm just not into them. If I want to participate in a PMD RPG... I'll just replay one of the games! You know?

Meh. That's just my opinion...

Winter 2014 for PS3.

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here