• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Neti's Mapping Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

/Circa

a face in the clouds.
Years
Umm, the way you used the trees in 'the differences betweens villages and cities will completely stuff the map up, im talking about the connections. I also noticed you used the tree shading wrong, it is only used when a certain tree is covered by another, the ends of the sides and top where there are no trees should have no shadows. If you understand what im talking about. And also, mixing up the tiles will only look good sometimes, most of the time it will be a failure. Changing the palettes would probably be the best idea when changing the idea of the buildings. Like the houses in pallet town, you could make them green perhaps?

I think your tutorial needs some serious revision.

Neti

Inactive
Years
Umm, the way you used the trees in 'the differences betweens villages and cities will completely stuff the map up, im talking about the connections. I also noticed you used the tree shading wrong, it is only used when a certain tree is covered by another, the ends of the sides and top where there are no trees should have no shadows. If you understand what im talking about. And also, mixing up the tiles will only look good sometimes, most of the time it will be a failure. Changing the palettes would probably be the best idea when changing the idea of the buildings. Like the houses in pallet town, you could make them green perhaps?

I think your tutorial needs some serious revision.

you can just make the border 4x2, it works in Adance Map's Professional Header. Then the border wont be stuffed up.
Te shading.. hmm never thought about that ill check it out, but i know what you mean.
And i agree with you that mixing up tiles often ends up in total crap, but i noted that you houldnt overdo it.
As you can see i created new roofs by changing the palette...

Years
  • Seen Jun 24, 2014
Can I just ask a few questions regarding the Vilages, Towns and Cities?

Well I wanna make a hack and I want to map it and make them look good the problem is:

I dunno what size to make them i.e a town: what size should I make the map?

Neti

Inactive
Years
i think that question is absolutely *sorry* dumb
it dpends on the size you want the town to have...
you can make large cities or small villages

jakerman999

looking for spriters
Years
one more thing you should mention, don't put people(or items) on top of roof's.
check the green roof on the village map to see what I mean.

also, using firefox and can see the images clearly. try waiting for the page to load fully, and if that doesn't work, press f5.

only other thing that might work is holding the alt. key and pressing f4, but only if it's an I.D.ten T. error.

ckk

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2009
This tutorial is great!
I love how u had a comparison between a bad and good map

Neti

Inactive
Years
yes, of course, its the best
but it applies to any other mapping program of course cause it doesnt have anything to do with the program

X-aveon

IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2012
wow, this really helps me a lot. now i can map wayyy better!

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2008
perhaps you should add the tilesets for each thing.
like for a city tile set ? and ?.

you understand what i am asking?

Neti

Inactive
Years
yeah i understand, but that makes no sense
there are several tilesets for towns and several tilesets for caves
just look a the FR/LG Tileset List in the Tutorials Section
you can find it when searching for "FR Tilesets"
All Tilesets are listed there

V.L.

The site's biggest noob
Years
This is a great tutorial, the most helpful I've seen. I'm actually making decent maps now. :)

But, (and I don't know if you will answer this since it wasn't covered in the tutorial) why is it that some of my warps work and some just lead to darkness and freeze the game? I know you didn't cover events, but this is a problem I've been having.

ckk

Years
  • Seen Aug 28, 2009
is it just me or did all the images in the spoiler just vanished?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back