• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: PKSV - Pokémon Script Editor + GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
Years
um hate to ask but... how much is it in download???
If you go to the "Browse all files" link, then you can have a look at the size for each version.
The pkg (package) file, containing everything a normal end user needs, is 237.7 KB. (Less than 1/64 of the size of your Fire Red ROM.)
The sourcecode file, containing everything in the package file but with accompanying source code (except for the backend source code, an old version is on the site but if you PM me I can give you an intermediary version). The size of the source code package, which I doubt anyone wants seeing as C programmers are rare nowadays (except in Linux communities), is 304.5 KB at the moment, just over 1/64 of the size of your Fire Red ROM.

[If you're curious, 1/64 of the size of a Fire Red or Ruby ROM is 256 KB.]

In other words, if you can fit a GBA ROM on your computer, you can fit this software on many, many times.

score_under

Years
Hi, I've got the 1.5.0 version up & ready!
Download <-- Clicky!
Mirror

Features:

• Now you can run the tools dialog AND the decompile dialog at the same time, WHILE STILL editing text :P Neat, eh?
  • Added much-needed tooltips to toolbar. That was hell to implement.
  • Identifies, decompiles and recompiles... Pokémon Gold, Silver and Prism!! (not tried crystal, but Prism has a silly lockout-code which I just added to PKSV. Thanks Cooley, for the idea, the resources, and the motivation!)
  • Can convert offsets to pointers and back (thanks Blazichu!), meaning you won't have to switch to Scizz's A-Point every few seconds!
  • Has G/S/C autocomplete registry (except from pokeinc, I do NOT want to have to update that autocomplete set, it would take hours!)
  • Only hybrid G/S/C/R/S/E/FR/LG script editor out there, ever!
    And...
  • It's open source! Feel free to grab the source code (link)!

[If you're wondering where the decompiler/recompiler source is, grab the source to the non-GUI package instead]

Remember, any glitches should be PM'd directly to me so I can track 'em down and iron 'em out.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I'm very confused how to use it. :\
I looked at the tut, but it's hard to understand. :\
Help?

score_under

Years
@ JJJ: I use minor and major versions to show people how important an update is. If I update the major version (the first number), that usually means something to totally change the program (i.e. a re-write) has occurred. The second number, the minor version, is to show whenever I update something important. The last number is used for bugfixes and tiny features.

@ Wind: I'm thinking of writing a tutorial for the scripting commands, entirely in XHTML.

Years
I haven't really posted here. But I've been looking at all the little differences I can see between this, XSE and Pokescript lately. And I've found that Pokescript is the one I like the most, but only because I'm able to edit the 'command database' so that I can rename commands so that they're much easier for me to remember. That feature is missing from these new tools.
Well, what I'm saying is if you can, is it possible to add that possiblity? It would help people like me and others who are stuck in their ways, to make the change over to a more reliable tool.

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
Years
Uh, okay sorry if i'm a total nub. but, when I save, it doesn't.. well, save. I Take a new script, attempt to edit it, close and save it, re-open, it's back to the old script.

My friend said you have to compile it or whatever, so I did and it says
"Opened file.
Premature end to #DEFINE!"

but it still doesn't save...
Could anyone help? Thanks :)

Zennerick

The Researcher
Years
Uh, okay sorry if i'm a total nub. but, when I save, it doesn't.. well, save. I Take a new script, attempt to edit it, close and save it, re-open, it's back to the old script.

"Opened file.

Could anyone help? Thanks

Yeah. Samething with me... I have no idea what to do.

Champio30

Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2014
Same thing happens to me.

What i do, is use a script thats already in use, edit that, compile, put it where i want to put it, and it works!

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2008

"Opened file.

Could anyone help? Thanks :)

Having the same problem with latest version. Any fixes?

score_under

Years
I haven't really posted here. But I've been looking at all the little differences I can see between this, XSE and Pokescript lately. And I've found that Pokescript is the one I like the most, but only because I'm able to edit the 'command database' so that I can rename commands so that they're much easier for me to remember. That feature is missing from these new tools.
Well, what I'm saying is if you can, is it possible to add that possiblity? It would help people like me and others who are stuck in their ways, to make the change over to a more reliable tool.
If you download the backend source code (PKSV w/o GUI) then look in "pokedef.h" or "golddef.h", and "recompiler.h" and "decompiler.h", you will find all the commands and all related code.
EDIT:
Autocomplete listing is in the pksvui.c of the frontend source code.

As for the premature end to #define... What a way to start V1.5.0, eh?
Update for that coming in a few minutes

Update has come.
If you cannot get the update and are stuck with version 1.5.0, go into PokeInc.txt and do a find/replace:
Find: CH'D
Replace: CHD

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 23, 2014
Hey, I'm trying to decompile a Pokemon Gold script and I can't find the 'event bank' for scripts anywhere. Is there something I'm missing?

score_under

Years
Hey, I'm trying to decompile a Pokemon Gold script and I can't find the 'event bank' for scripts anywhere. Is there something I'm missing?
If you double-click the map's name in Gold Map, then you can find the "Event data offset".
There will be a pointer, then a number in brackets. The part of the number before the colon is what you want.
A little too evil perhaps? :P

Don't mind me, an excellent new feature to your editor, and the others, I suppose...I still haven't read the other features, XD
Too evil? No such thing! Ganon is a great example of this!

Melash

Back for now.
Years
Woah...this is definately going to help me out! I haven't tried it yet, though!

Champio30

Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2014
hmm... sorry to be a random noob.

but you think in your next version, you can post a trainerscriptgen??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back