The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old July 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
<~F.M.P~>
I got you whistling Blue Box!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via AIM to <~F.M.P~> Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to <~F.M.P~>

Advertise here
I got the first sprite in perfectly, tested it out and I saw it from the front, but when I tried to use him as one of my own pokemon(Back pic) The game froze. Do you know what the problem is or can anyone help me?
Old August 2nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Nature: Quiet
I think there's a problem with my computer.

I tried to put a Pirahna Plant sprite into the game, but it aborted it. The next time I turned to Bulbasaur, it was totally glitched up.

I tried it again, this time pointing to free space, and there was a "sharing violence". It messed me up.

Seriously, what is the problem?
Old August 5th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Chary
Yeah-Hah!

Nature: Adamant
Hey um.. could someone give me a link to get irfanview [ sorry if it is misspelled ]
Old August 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Google Irfanview. That's what I did. ^_^
Old August 9th, 2008, 02:47 PM
NTA
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chary View Post
Hey um.. could someone give me a link to get irfanview [ sorry if it is misspelled ]

here: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...na222-DBnR6GCg

Old August 10th, 2008, 12:59 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Now there are backgrounds around my Pokemon. <_<
Old August 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
poddish
Spirit Of Radio

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to poddish
How do you put the new sprite over one of the many ?? pokemon instead of over the real pokemon? Also how do you know that an offset is blank in fire red?
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:07 PM
<~F.M.P~>
I got you whistling Blue Box!

Nature: Mild
Send a message via AIM to <~F.M.P~> Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to <~F.M.P~>
I'll help all of you as best I can But I need pictures to see what your trying to explain. I work better when I can see the problem visually rather than Reading it.

P.s. I fixed my problems on my indexing and spriting problems thats why I say I'll help all of you as best I can.
Old August 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Morgoth509
Beginning Trainer

When I try to insert a sprite it says image not indexed. How do I fix this?

It says my image isn't indexed. How do I fix this?

Last edited by Morgoth509; August 13th, 2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Your double post has been automatically merged.
Old August 13th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Tiehunter
Beginning Trainer

Originally Posted by Mario_Bones View Post
Ah, that's how you get free space to work. Thanks a bunch!
EDIT: I tried it, and inserted a sprite over Mudkip in Ruby. When I chose the Pokemon in Birch's bag, the game froze... What do I do?
EDIT2: I used the Free Space you used in your tutorial and it worked fine. I think the Free Space that I got from Free Space Finder may have been wrong or something. How do I use a Hex Editing Program to find free space?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me. My screen goes black when i try to catch the custom sprite.

I would also like to know how to add a custom back sprite to my custom front sprite (if that's what its called?)
I'm pretty sure the problems both of you had were that the free space you used from FSF didn't have enough space for your sprites or you put the palette too close. I had this problem as well and it's best to do what Jagold did and put the palette way in the back of the ROM with the sprite at the first bit of free space you find. I hope this clears up the problems people might have.

Pip the level 1 Piplup!
Old August 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Zephiel
Beginning Trainer

I did exactly what you said, and it always comes out with that message "Ptr found at [Hex number]. Changing."

My sprite kind of looks like the Gulpin and Swalot in those pictures posted before...The same sprites, but with the pallette changed. Is that supposed to happen? I'm afraid I can't see if it should or not yet because the character I'm editing is later in the game...in retrospect that was kind of a bad idea...
Old August 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
I did exactly what you said, and it always comes out with that message "Ptr found at [Hex number]. Changing."

My sprite kind of looks like the Gulpin and Swalot in those pictures posted before...The same sprites, but with the pallette changed. Is that supposed to happen? I'm afraid I can't see if it should or not yet because the character I'm editing is later in the game...in retrospect that was kind of a bad idea...
since you changed the sprite location, yes, you can only see the old sprite with changed palletes...
if you wanna test if it looks exactly as you planned, try it by playing the ROM.

but do so remember to save back-ups.
Old August 25th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Zephiel
Beginning Trainer

It works fine, now. Thanks for your help.
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Mario_Bones
Lazuli Version Creator

Originally Posted by poddish View Post
How do you put the new sprite over one of the many ?? pokemon instead of over the real pokemon? Also how do you know that an offset is blank in fire red?
1. I think I may have figured out how to do this, but I'm going to test it first. I'll post here if I figure out how.
2. To find blank offsets, get a hex editor. Open your ROM and scrool down until you find a load of F's. Look at the offset listed and write it down because its blank. Make sure it only has F's, like in the picture in the tutorial.

Current Projects:
Pokemon Lazuli Version: 1% Complete (Or something like that)
Editing various tiles into the same style: Around 15% Complete
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM
mgmntrigger
Beginning Trainer

i got a problem where my sprite's colors become inverted in the game. i'm trying to swap out gardeviors sprite for its moe version in emerald because i guess the English patcher missed it but it becomes green where it should be white ext. am i missing a step or do i just fail?
Old August 26th, 2008, 01:46 AM
brokencandle
Expert Hacker

What do you mean by the transparent colour, how do I put it all green. because I tried in paint and it only did parts of it :s

Edit: It keeps saying my image is too big, when it is 64x64. Even when i try and insert the original copy !

Last edited by brokencandle; August 26th, 2008 at 03:43 AM.
Old September 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
master morty
Master Spriter

I tried editing Giratina over armaldo in Emerald I think it almost worked except all I get is a silhoute of armaldo moving is there a way to do this in emerald with all the animations and all?
Old September 1st, 2008, 03:36 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencandle View Post
What do you mean by the transparent colour, how do I put it all green. because I tried in paint and it only did parts of it :s

Edit: It keeps saying my image is too big, when it is 64x64. Even when i try and insert the original copy !
is it saved in PNG?
also, is it using only 16 colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsna View Post
I tried editing Giratina over armaldo in Emerald I think it almost worked except all I get is a silhoute of armaldo moving is there a way to do this in emerald with all the animations and all?
I don't know about Emerald. :\
never touched that ROM before.
Old September 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
master morty
Master Spriter

that's o.k. I figured it out, there are a bunch of black pokemon silhoutes around 700 in emerald and those are the animations
Old September 1st, 2008, 05:01 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER MY QUESTION?!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been over 2 months now and nobody answered my question. I think I should give up hacking.

When I try to insert it into the ROM, it has one of the following problems:

1. It says "Ptr found at [insert hex number here]. Changed." And when I flip back to the sprite, it is inverted (sorta) with a pitch-black background!
2. The sides are cut off.
3. There is a sharing violence.
4. The sprite messes up and there is a background around it when I play the ROM.

If this question is not answered by the next time I get here, I'm cancelling Dark Red and all of my other projects.
Old September 1st, 2008, 06:30 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timson733333 View Post
WILL SOMEBODY ANSWER MY QUESTION?!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been over 2 months now and nobody answered my question. I think I should give up hacking.

When I try to insert it into the ROM, it has one of the following problems:

1. It says "Ptr found at [insert hex number here]. Changed." And when I flip back to the sprite, it is inverted (sorta) with a pitch-black background!
2. The sides are cut off.
3. There is a sharing violence.
4. The sprite messes up and there is a background around it when I play the ROM.

If this question is not answered by the next time I get here, I'm cancelling Dark Red and all of my other projects.
I really would care less about you cancelling your hack.

However, have you chacked if it's in 64x64 in size?
also, it is supposed to look like the old sprite with an inverted pallete if you insert a new sprite.

check the other pages and i have demonstarted how it looks in game around here in this thread.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
okay... they work pretty fine and perfect in my case. :\
Spoiler:

I really do not know why it doesn't work in your case. however, I am also sure this works in FireRed as well.
I got no time though, busy in real life. :\
but if you wish, I can post some proof that this method does work in FireRed as well. But maybe later. :\

Maybe you have overwritten an offset which was already have been used. :\

EDIT

here's proof that it also works with FireRed. :\
Spoiler:

Old September 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
timson733333
Me gusta.

Thanks! ^_^ I will try that.
Old September 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Raging_Lugia
ProjectPokemon Member

can you do all this but just put it into pokemon diamond ds?
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Kaizer-X
RoM HaCkeR

hey time, i tried inserting some d/p sprites using ur tutorial but in the end i got only the same pokemon with different pallets. is that suppose to happen?
and when i tried playing the game the sprites are okay but instead it is in the backsprite postion of the sprite

LINKS:
MY HACK:
Pokemon Twilight: Road to Dreams
MY TEAM:
Rom Tempest Crew
NEWLETTER:
Rom Hacking Newsletter
Credit to Rényui for theme
Old September 11th, 2008, 05:11 PM
destinedjagold
Oh Hai Thar~ 'ω'
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer-X View Post
hey time, i tried inserting some d/p sprites using ur tutorial but in the end i got only the same pokemon with different pallets. is that suppose to happen?
and when i tried playing the game the sprites are okay but instead it is in the backsprite postion of the sprite
I already explained it like just a few post above yours.
They are suppose to happen.

but I don't know why the backsprites are the only ones which shows up.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here