The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon Anime > Episode Discussion

Notices

Episode Discussion Keeping up with the upcoming and currently airing Japanese and English episodes? This is where you can discuss each of the episodes respectively.

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Send a message via AIM to Charaxes
Here is where you can discuss our protagonist's first captures in "Ash Catches a Pokémon."

My review to come forthwith.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

Ash catches 2 Pokemon!

I'm sure they put in the same jpeg image of "Pokemon" in the title.

What was it Misty didn't like? Carrots, peppers and bugs? I like carrots and peppers. Well, I hate carrots cooked, they're nice raw. Misty was really mean to Caterpie.

Oh yes, Team Rocket's epic battle with a nearly dead Caterpie...double battles are illigal XD It's funny how Ash makes Caterpie battle Pidgeotto. And Ash crawling around in the sleeping bag!!
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Arumus
Insert user title here..

Nature: Lonely
Is this when he catches his Caterpie? Oh I loved this episode, back in the day. Misty terrified of bugs and Ash teasing her with Caterpie. I can't remember much, haven't watched it in about five years.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Episode comparison time. Today, we get some dialogue re-edits and the end of the Misty slap edits. Whoo-hoo.

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/compar...nto/ep003.html

And it's one of the few times someone in Pokemon actually attempted to throw a punch. Oshmores!

Last edited by Charaxes; September 14th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM
sirboulevard
Master Trainer/Coordinator

Nature: Rash
I didnt like this episode. It is one of the few times Misty is depicted as a jerk. TR beaten by caterpie as lol though. We finally see how stupid Ash is when he pits Caterpie Vs. Pidgeotto. (BTW, shouldn't Butterfree and Pidgeotto have some sort of rivalry after this episode? Continuity error!) I thought the scene of Pikachu and Caterpie talking while Ash and Misty sleep was good. This was an iffy episode, but was important due to Misty's fears and the two pokemon Ash catches.

Paired with ValentineUmbreon; Fluffy Little Sister-in-law: Chamo-chan;
Smart Little Sister-in-law: SilverDragonLaura; Twisted Little Sister: Baa.Baa.Blacksheep

Last edited by sirboulevard; September 10th, 2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Jorah
What do I put here?
Community Supporter

I wonder why it is allowed in Japan to make random reference to relgion in children's programmes and it's not in the US/UK etc because, arguably, it is a social construct...It really makes you think. And question if you should really "protect" chidren from this sort of thing. Or just why. Hmm...

Last edited by Jorah; September 10th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Miss Reyna
Happiness~

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Miss Reyna
This episode was kinda okies. I mean the only important part of this episode was Ash catching Caterpie and then evolving in the same episode. Now that I think about it. It seems like the writers were sticking with the games. I mean caterpies and weedles are like the fastest to train pokemon right so it kinda made sense.

Su. I kinda don't think they would have a rivary between Pidgetto and Caterpie since really Caterpie kinda knew that he would become stronger and that is all. Also I know it kinda saying too much about personalities in this early in the show since it is clear that the writers didn't develope much of that for the pokemon but Caterpie always seemed a bit level headed.

♪And live on to make others happy♪
♪Fellow HCSC: Midori Chi and Pink Tiger♪

Old September 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
sandcrawler
slacking off in my spare time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorah
I wonder why it is allowed in Japan to make random reference to relgion in children's programmes and it's not in the US/UK etc because, arguably, it is a social construct...It really makes you think. And question if you should really "protect" chidren from this sort of thing. Or just why. Hmm...
Didn't they make a God reference in the First Movie?

Hmm... the slaps were edited out? I could've sworn they were on my video.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorah View Post
Yeah, they were willy-nilly with those religious references, huh? Then again, Japanese sensibilities aren't ours, though, Misty's line was pretty heavy for a 6-year-old's show.

Moving on, I love the episode for the battle, as it demonstrated on how Team Rocket's Pokemon can do serious damage and aren't necessarily incompetent (ZOMG!). The battle fluidity and the motions made it incredibly intense, and well worth watching, even 10 years later. It's definitlely in my top 5 episode battles, easy.

Finally, I love Caterpie, it was so -- I'll say it -- kawaii. Why did it have to evolve?! Wrrrrrrryyyyyyyyy?!

Hehe.
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Forci Stikane

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Forci Stikane Send a message via Yahoo to Forci Stikane
People still wonder why this show is so popular even today. Part of the reason why I like the anime so much is because of a certain "charm" to it, best shown by episodes like this. ...Well, technically, it was a carry-over from the previous episode (as I'll get to shortly), but it's much more evident in this one.

First of all, the intro. We have the most over-the-top Pokemon capture ever (we never have an actual capture with this much flair again), then we have Ash freak out and start dancing over it. And right in the middle of this, what do we get? "Ash Catches a Pokemon!" The entire thing is so overdone that one can't help but laugh at the absurdity. This is only the first few minutes of the episode, no less.

Then we have Misty. The 'cute' tomboy with the big hammer and raging phobia of bugs (yet she never freaks about Butterfree, now does she?) . This is actually the first time we see the "legendary" hammer, isn't it? She has to use it on such a cute little thing, too...which sends it into a giant inferiority complex that makes it want to fly off the face of the planet. *shiftyeyes*

Yes, Jorah, it was carrots, peppers, and bugs.

The Pidgeotto capture...hmm, they obviously enjoyed drilling that "Ash = newbie" point home. So much so, in fact, that they kind of drifted into "Ash = idiot" territory. Really, even ignoring the biological factor here, how would Caterpie expect to counterattack Pidgeotto if it were to fly into the air? String Shot could only go so far before gravity forced it back down (and likely onto Misty for added mileage), and it obviously couldn't Tackle that high. Of course, once it evolves, this problem will be nullified, but in the here and now, Pikachu was the better choice in every way.

I have to agree with Charaxes on the TR battle against Pidgeotto--it was surprisingly well-done, especially considering how this is only the third episode in the series. Ekans and Pidgeotto actually managed to hold an equal footing (see Pokedex entry for this) until Ash looked away for even a moment. Then...he sends out Caterpie. A wounded Caterpie, against three Pokemon and two humans, and it managed to win. Granted, Pidgeotto had previously worn down two of them, but still. And somehow those Pokemon were enough to get it to evolve, no less. ...Is it just me, or is something not computing right here?

And then we top it off by Ash literally shoving his new Pokemon in Misty's face and freaking her out once again. This anime goes from ridiculous to depressing to exciting and back to ridiculous again all in one episode. THIS IS WHY POKEMON IS FAMOUS.

Or so I delude myself at this moment in time.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichaste Pekoni View Post
People still wonder why this show is so popular even today. Part of the reason why I like the anime so much is because of a certain "charm" to it, best shown by episodes like this. ...Well, technically, it was a carry-over from the previous episode (as I'll get to shortly), but it's much more evident in this one.

First of all, the intro. We have the most over-the-top Pokemon capture ever (we never have an actual capture with this much flair again), then we have Ash freak out and start dancing over it. And right in the middle of this, what do we get? "Ash Catches a Pokemon!" The entire thing is so overdone that one can't help but laugh at the absurdity. This is only the first few minutes of the episode, no less.

Then we have Misty. The 'cute' tomboy with the big hammer and raging phobia of bugs (yet she never freaks about Butterfree, now does she?) :P. This is actually the first time we see the "legendary" hammer, isn't it? She has to use it on such a cute little thing, too...which sends it into a giant inferiority complex that makes it want to fly off the face of the planet. *shiftyeyes*

I have to agree with Charaxes on the TR battle against Pidgeotto--it was surprisingly well-done, especially considering how this is only the third episode in the series. Ekans and Pidgeotto actually managed to hold an equal footing (see Pokedex entry for this) until Ash looked away for even a moment. Then...he sends out Caterpie. A wounded Caterpie, against three Pokemon and two humans, and it managed to win. Granted, Pidgeotto had previously worn down two of them, but still. And somehow those Pokemon were enough to get it to evolve, no less. ...Is it just me, or is something not computing right here?

And then we top it off by Ash literally shoving his new Pokemon in Misty's face and freaking her out once again. This anime goes from ridiculous to depressing to exciting and back to ridiculous again all in one episode. THIS IS WHY POKEMON IS FAMOUS.

Or so I delude myself at this moment in time.
Right, the first two episodes were self-contained by comparison, whereas, this one was more serialized. Most Pocket Monsters episodes, I've noticed, are episodic by nature (until recent times), which, I think, enhanced this episode. After all, we got to see the implications from the previous two episodes (Pikachu's being a powerhouse and TR's apparent obsession/acknowledging Ash's existence), watching the continuity form (which takes an interesting, crooked journey). Conversely, the next episode will set the writing formula for years to come, and how banal it would be. Heh.

Sorry about that, but I haven't had the chance to discuss on the show's early writing much, so far, so there I went.

I actually liked the over-the-top aspects in this case, for it reinforced Ash's human personality. After all, if you lived in the Pokemon world, wouldn't you get that excited about your early captures? These days, "I caught something. That's kinda awesome. Yep." Throw in Misty's non-plussed reaction, and there's some great range and banter (i.e., the Heaven/Hell exchange).

Yes, I miss the hammer. Then, I think on Jessie's paper fan (I forget when that first appeared), and wonder "how real is this show, if the girls are pulling things through hammerspace? Then again, I'm conversing about a show with an electric rat, so what do I know?" Heh.

I believe the wounded Caterpie saving the day was more compensation after Misty's disparaging remarks and its overall weaknesses, as per its Pokedex entry. Was it deus ex machina? Yeah, but Caterpie needed its time in the spotlight and to highlight how even weak creatures can prevail, sometimes, so I'm willing to let this one go.

Or, it could be my pro-Caterpie bias talking there.

And, no, this is why Pokemon is awesome, or would be awesome back in 98. Heh.

On a side note, did anyone else note on Meowth's "exceeding its evolutionary level" line? Because, given how the show would later avoid levels altogether, I was surprised by that one.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Forci Stikane

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Forci Stikane Send a message via Yahoo to Forci Stikane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charaxes View Post
Right, the first two episodes were self-contained by comparison, whereas, this one was more serialized. Most Pocket Monsters episodes, I've noticed, are episodic by nature (until recent times), which, I think, enhanced this episode. After all, we got to see the implications from the previous two episodes (Pikachu's being a powerhouse and TR's apparent obsession/acknowledging Ash's existence), watching the continuity form (which takes an interesting, crooked journey). Conversely, the next episode will set the writing formula for years to come, and how banal it would be. Heh.

Sorry about that, but I haven't had the chance to discuss on the show's early writing much, so far, so there I went.

I actually liked the over-the-top aspects in this case, for it reinforced Ash's human personality. After all, if you lived in the Pokemon world, wouldn't you get that excited about your early captures? These days, "I caught something. That's kinda awesome. Yep." Throw in Misty's non-plussed reaction, and there's some great range and banter (i.e., the Heaven/Hell exchange).

Yes, I miss the hammer. Then, I think on Jessie's paper fan (I forget when that first appeared), and wonder "how real is this show, if the girls are pulling things through hammerspace? Then again, I'm conversing about a show with an electric rat, so what do I know?" Heh.

I believe the wounded Caterpie saving the day was more compensation after Misty's disparaging remarks and its overall weaknesses, as per its Pokedex entry. Was it deus ex machina? Yeah, but Caterpie needed its time in the spotlight and to highlight how even weak creatures can prevail, sometimes, so I'm willing to let this one go.

Or, it could be my pro-Caterpie bias talking there.

And, no, this is why Pokemon is awesome, or would be awesome back in 98. Heh.

On a side note, did anyone else note on Meowth's "exceeding its evolutionary level" line? Because, given how the show would later avoid levels altogether, I was surprised by that one.
No problem. Yeah, it is pretty rare to find episodes that really connect together in Johto/Hoenn without being an actual arc or revolving around a specific event (Battle Pyramid, Whirl Cup, etc). I actually can't think of many of them.

It wasn't just the personality side of it, though: it was that combined with the timing on the title screen that just created this huge..."no duh" reaction from the audience. That's what I was trying to get at.

Ah, yes, hammerspace. Probably the second most abused writer's gimmick in this show, behind Deus Ex Machina and not counting the CotD as a gimmick. I think the fan may have first appeared either in the St. Anne episode. ...But we're still seeing it from time to time, aren't we?

......Just watch, soon we'll see Dawn pull a mallet from out of nowhere. -.-;

If the point was how weak creatures can prevail, then wouldn't evolving Caterpie immediately after kind of ruin the point? I mean, it isn't goingto be weak anymore, so that victory can be written off as a fluke (or, more to the point, DEM).

I always accepted that line as referencing how strong Pikachu in general can be and that Ash's Pikachu had gone past that without evolving, what with blowing up an entire Pokemon Center and all that. Simplifies things while still making sense, at least.
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichaste Pekoni View Post
No problem. Yeah, it is pretty rare to find episodes that really connect together in Johto/Hoenn without being an actual arc or revolving around a specific event (Battle Pyramid, Whirl Cup, etc). I actually can't think of many of them.

It wasn't just the personality side of it, though: it was that combined with the timing on the title screen that just created this huge..."no duh" reaction from the audience. That's what I was trying to get at.

Ah, yes, hammerspace. Probably the second most abused writer's gimmick in this show, behind Deus Ex Machina and not counting the CotD as a gimmick. I think the fan may have first appeared either in the St. Anne episode. ...But we're still seeing it from time to time, aren't we?

......Just watch, soon we'll see Dawn pull a mallet from out of nowhere. -.-;

If the point was how weak creatures can prevail, then wouldn't evolving Caterpie immediately after kind of ruin the point? I mean, it isn't goingto be weak anymore, so that victory can be written off as a fluke (or, more to the point, DEM).

I always accepted that line as referencing how strong Pikachu in general can be and that Ash's Pikachu had gone past that without evolving, what with blowing up an entire Pokemon Center and all that. Simplifies things while still making sense, at least.
Right, that kind of tight writing will always get my attention. After all, not everything has to be a multi-parter (looking at you, Yu-Gi-Oh). At least, the Pokemon writers don't indulge in that too often, as, frankly, cliffhangers get on my nerves.

Oh, you meant the title screen in addition with the hoopla? Gotcha, I must have skimmed that part of your commentary. To be honest, yeah, I didn't care for the episode title, either, because, yes, the obvious ness of it. Thankfully, it was a better episode as it progressed.

You're probably right about Dawn and the mallet, although, I see her with a paper fan, myself -- fits her dainty image more, I think.

Indeed about the evolution, as it was more... random than anything else. How one minute, 'we're losing,' then another, 'we're winning,' then 'ZOMG! Evvvoo-lution!' It does say on the timing issue, as "how could we know it would evolve right then and there?" Or... how the weak can became stronger if they prevail? I dunno, either way, it's a mixed message.

Maybe the writers were trying to have it both ways, as it's usually "evolve = saving the day," not the reverse, as demonstrated here. Or, maybe they wanted to pull off a surprise. Shrugs.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
ShadowDeeps
Forever morbid/serious/wistful

Nature: Serious
Send a message via AIM to ShadowDeeps Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShadowDeeps Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowDeeps Send a message via Skype™ to ShadowDeeps
I rather like episodes along this nature, because unlike the later Johto/Hoenn episodes, this episode isn't anyplace near as contrived or redundant, nor does it artificially introduce characters and a new Pokémon, only for Team Rocket to try to catch it, for Ash, company, and their new friends to save the day, and then walk off into the sunset effusively (which an encapsulation of so many episodes later on - they're so predictable and linear, though I do feel that intercutting stories can dramatically reduce tension at select times). This episode just sort of allows the characters to wander about blithely and do their own thing - granted, it's very early on in the series, but still. I like that it's rather unpredictable and suspensful upon first watch. That gives it allowance for a greater notion of interest, adventure, and excitement in my eyes.

We alread know that Ash was about to attempt to capture Caterpie in the last episode, but still, the window of time in which he captures it, his hyperbolic reaction, Pikachu's reaction, Misty's reaction, and the way the "I got a Pokémon." Japanese BGM just kicks in and follows the mood.... something about the way all of those elements meshed made for both entertainment and stimulation. Everyone's so... carefree in this episode. In both the Japanese version and dub, as both Veronica and Rica have an admirable way of adding a firm range of emotion and building, strong tones to Ash's voice. Same goes for Rachael and Mayumi when it comes to Misty's voice. All of the voice actors add verve and stand in character (though, one could say that it isn't about characters or concepts being bad, so much as it is how they're used). I have to say, though, that Veronica's Ash is much, much lower in pitch in this episode than it is in the latter ones... his laughter remains the same, if not nigh identical, but she hits much lower notes in this episode... which still works just fine for me.

I do concede that Caterpie's prevalent victory and abrupt evolution was a tad bemusing in the context of things (especially comparing the anime to the games), but it's not the first time it's been done in a series, nor the last. I still feel Misty's and Ash's interactions, as well as the other character's and Pokémon, are intriguing in an episode like this, and this is the first episode where Team Rocket begin to lapse into the comedic villain role... which works, because it adds to their character and doesn't seem vapid and threadbare yet (by my view, they seem unique, and not just like any other set of villains). And outside of some glaring script discrepancies and inserts (when it comes to BGM as well if I'm not having a lapse in recollection), I'd say that both the dub and the Japanese version were great.

Overall, a great episode... the characters work well, as do the Pokémon, the battles, the plot... it's all in jest. But most of all, the resulting events of this episode aren't easy to predict (at least, to me).

Last edited by ShadowDeeps; September 11th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old September 13th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDeeps View Post
I do concede that Caterpie's prevalent victory and abrupt evolution was a tad bemusing in the context of things (especially comparing the anime to the games), but it's not the first time it's been done in a series, nor the last. I still feel Misty's and Ash's interactions, as well as the other character's and Pokémon, are intriguing in an episode like this, and this is the first episode where Team Rocket begin to lapse into the comedic villain role... which works, because it adds to their character and doesn't seem vapid and threadbare yet (by my view, they seem unique, and not just like any other set of villains).
Right, the Rockets' lighter side peaked out on this one, though, it would be the Clefairy one (3 episodes later) where it's front and center and forevermore. At this point, I think it's clear the writers were uncertain which way to go with the trio, as the previous episode had them so serious. Again, it's that's dark potential that I discussed in the Emergency discussion, which impacted this episode for me. Particularly, as their role was split: comedic, yet competent (i.e., the Pokemon battle).

In terms of character study, this was a good one for them, which isn't something I say often on this series.
Old September 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM
flareonmaster
:)

oh i really liked this episode. Well i like all episodes of season 1 but this one was different XD
It was very funny because team rocket lost of a caterpie XD
But some of those attacks are to strong in the anime fore example, leech seed =p
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
Oh i remember this episode. Its then one with the famous cowterpie line right?
Old September 14th, 2008, 05:51 AM
X-Files
Can Yuo Udnertsand

I almost thought Ash was going threw it agian when the giant cartiepie came

Spoiler:
One of the best RPGs around come to it for an awesome time
http://orangeislands.net/index/

Lighty the level 55 Pikachu fear us!
Old September 14th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~link smash~ View Post
Oh i remember this episode. Its then one with the famous cowterpie line right?
No, that's the next episode, the Challenge of the Samurai one.
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
I thought it was too cute how misty treated caterpie!^.^

Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
Old September 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Neko64
PC's Traveling Artist

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Neko64
This epsiode was pretty cool! I liked it a lot; especially the part with Pikachu and Caterpie when it was night and they were doing these weird dance thingies in front of the moon! Soooooo cuteee!!!!!!!!!! x3

The evolution kind of reminds me a bit of the games; like how Caterpie has the shortest number of levels before it becomes fully evolved.

Then again, doesn't it evolve AGAIN just the next episode? x_____x;;;

-Neko

The Toddler Pokemon's Playground
Old September 19th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

I did like the scene with Pikachu and Caterpie, as well, but I wish they had subtitles for such Pokemon conversations. Ironically, they will do that, but that won't be for a dozen more episodes. So, I have to pretend they were talking about Misty's treatment of Caterpie or how weak it is. The latter is what I picked up, more so, now that I know what was edited out.

Crazy animals.
Old September 20th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Volkner's Apprentice
PC Veteran Prize Fighter

Nature: Hasty
It makes me wonder why Team Rocket didn't attempt to utterly destroy buildings like they did here in later episodes True, Pikachu and his Pika-pals kind of finished the place off but..

Friend Code

Old September 20th, 2008, 09:39 PM
SamuraiMaster
and his son, Layne (Buizel).

Nature: Calm
Send a message via AIM to SamuraiMaster
Always remember...Misty has a giant wooden hammer with her everywhere...don't peeve her...you'll regret it...

Mystery Dungeon: Through the Never
I'd appreciate any reviews on my fic.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:36 AM
Charaxes
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkner's Apprentice View Post
It makes me wonder why Team Rocket didn't attempt to utterly destroy buildings like they did here in later episodes :P True, Pikachu and his Pika-pals kind of finished the place off but..
Actually, that's the previous episode -- Pokemon Emergency. No Pika-induced building destroying here. Nope.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links