• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction petpeeves?

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
I was wondering what some things are that annoy people in Pokemon fanfiction. For example, I'm usually annoyed in a fic with pairings where the author makes all the 'competition' out to be mean/jealous/evil (basically out of character). I think it might be beneficial to some if they read what readers don't like seeing and their reasoning. They don't have to agree, but valid points would surely give people something to think about when they are writing.

So have at it!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
One thing that I've recently touched upon in the FFL is the "same plot, different characters" kind of fic. While some fics handle the same plot and elements better than others, it generally irks me to suddenly realize that I've read this before.

That said, I've compiled a list of laws for Pokemon fanfiction. Much of it is tongue-in-cheek, and a number of it do apply to OT stories. In any case, these are what I tend to notice in a number of fics, and I'll try to explain a few along the way. If any of them are unclear or if you want to object, feel free.

Or add, if you feel like it.

1. If you have a prologue, it most likely points to mystic beginnings that seemingly have nothing to do with your first sixteen chapters.

2. The main character is almost always late due to sleeping in.
2a. Or because the author spends an inordinate time describing what the character is eating for breakfast and the character's mother.

3. The character is usually given his/her last choice for a starter.
3a. Or, alternatively, an unconventional starter (e.g., Eevee, Pikachu) or his/her first choice.
3b. There is no second choice. Ever.

4. The rival is almost always a jerk or seen as such by the main character.

5. It just isn't an OT story without an evil organization.
5a. Which means that the goal of said organization is almost always to take over the world or destroy it in order to make it better. (Oh, come now. It's not like crime lords are all after the same thing.)
5b. Which means the main character tends to be followed by a pair of shady-looking characters (sometimes with a terrible motto). This is not always the case in "same plot, different characters" settings, but it's not uncommon, either.

6. If an evil team creates a clone, it's almost always a Mewtwo knockoff. Basically, event legendary gone wrong.

7. There's almost always a traveling companion of the opposite sex in order to produce sexual tension/awkwardly written comic relief. Otherwise, the traveling companion would be of the same sex because of the below law.

8. If the two main characters are of the opposite sex, then most likely, they will end up wanting in each others' pants. This goes with canon characters as well.

9. Characters in a romance fic must be OOC. It's apparently not a romance fic if the characters act the way they do in canon.

10. Romance fics involving Ash almost always ignore the existence of Brock except when Ash is paired with Brock anyway. Either that, or Brock is given a random side character/OC to keep him happy.

11. The longer your fanfiction, the more likely you are to have someone who has an Eevee or a Pikachu. (Canon characters don't count.)

12. Fangirl moment: If Bill is ever used in a fanfiction, he must always either be stuck in a costume or turned into a Pokemon when the characters are first introduced to him. Because that's all he ever does with his spare time.
12a. However, every other canon character appearing in the fanfiction is perfectly welcome to be introduced in a variety of different possible scenes, regardless of whether or not said possible scenes actually have them in-character.

13. In some cases, there is an ancient prophecy that points to the main character, thus giving him/her the power to save the world from imminent destruction, possibly due to a legendary Pokemon/aforementioned evil organization/evil Pokemon in general.

14. Despite whatever speculation over James' sexuality fans have made over the years, in a Rocketshipping fic, James is always the one who wears the pants in the relationship.

15. Almost every Pokemorph story has the Pokemorph being created by an evil organization, usually canon. This usually ignores the fact that:
15a. Team Rocket is canonically (explicitly: see their motto in GSC) for human superiority, rendering Pokemon and all Pokemon-like creatures as mere tools under the human race.
15b. Team Rocket is also not run by Lex Luthor.
15c. Teams Aqua and Magma are too concerned with screwing with the environment to find any need to experiment on human beings, much less Pokemon. Except Kyogre and Groudon, to fulfill their own special needs.
15d. Cipher and Team Snagem's policy is to enslave Pokemon in order to take over the world, not fuse one with a human.
15e. Team Galactic's just a bit busy trying to destroy the universe to bother.

16. Once the Pokemorph is created in a lab, it always escapes somehow.
16a. And then begins a life on the run/full of angst/attempting to destroy its own creator. Inexplicably.

17. Mystery Dungeon fics almost always have the main character be a human who was turned into a Pokemon and, after a chapter or three, apparently has no problem with that fact.
17a. Despite the fact that it's perfectly okay to have a rescue team formed by Pokemon who were born Pokemon.

18. When in doubt, the writer has every liberty to write essentially the game's or first season anime's plot with different characters and possibly a new region name.
18a. If this option is taken, then the new story must be essentially that used plot, right down to the placement of Nugget Bridge or attacking of the local professor.

19. The local professor must always be either a one-dimensional Pokemon dispenser or eccentric beyond all words. This character, despite ties to the main character and apparent knowledge over the subject of Pokemon, does not need to be contacted. Ever again.

20. Nothing says "I love you" like sexual tension caused by nonstop arguing with your supposed future partner. The more you hate the person, the more likely you'll want to snog later.

21. But tragedy and angst says "I love you" quite well as well. This includes:
21a. Someone getting hurt or killed, leaving the other to angst/pour out their feelings over a hospital bed.
21b. Separation, only to realize that, oh yeah, you're in love.
21c. Getting kidnapped by an evil team, intentionally or not.
21d. Karaoke night. (i.e., Your average songfic.)

Could offer other examples, if someone wants to hear me continue to rant.

Last edited:

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
That's a nice list of common trends in Pokemon fanfiction. At first I didn't know what OT meant, but I know now it refers to original trainer stories. I've read my share of those on places like fanfiction.net. I can understand the appeal in writing something like that, especially if the author is young and has an active imagination, but its true that they do tend to follow a certain mold, using common elements as a sort of helping hand to guide their fic along. While the level of writing and execution might affect the overall quality of the OT story in question, I am of the mind that originality is far more important.

One example might be, instead of having some generic evil group (or one of the ones fro canon) being the enemy, why not have someone convince the trainer to join their group? I think it stands to reason that not everyone in one of those groups is doing it thinking "I like being evil! bwahaha!". In the case of Team Magma for example, I can see a lot of them being otherwise good people who believe in the group's cause. Rather than having a bunch of people who can't resist acting sinister, why not have a leader or admins who are charismatic and very convincing, ones who the OT can even relate too? They might even allow them to pursue their desire to battle all the gyms while doing jobs on the side that further the cause. Heck, if they gave the trainer some kind of support, perhaps monetarily, than they might be further persuaded to take up the group's cause.

Well, I'm not saying its a perfect idea, but just a thought I had in passing...

As for the stories which actually feature canon characters, I've also noticed a sort of inability to have them stay in character. There is the previously mentioned bastardization of certain characters who are seen as obstacles, but then you also have your rushed romantic developments. For example, one of the characters already has feelings, so all that is left is for the other to suddenly realize how they feel as well. Another example, and this one annoys me a good deal more, is the use of a traumatic event to promote bonding (#21 on your list) I remember one fic where random hoodlums approach Ash and May, and one of them says something like "well have a fun time with her if you know what I mean" (just like that), and Ash responds with "you sick bastard!", and following a swift arse kicking, Ash and May are over 9000!!! times closer.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
*Ahem*
OBJECTION!
1. If you have a prologue, it most likely points to mystic beginnings that seemingly have nothing to do with your first sixteen chapters.
Seen mine? Sure, it's craptacular but still, it's got nothing to do with legends. xD
3b. There is no second choice. Ever.
Ever? My fic again. Check the closed one. My main character gets the second Pokemon...
Or did I not understand that? Can you elaborate a bit?

Well, now that I've done that, I have to say, great ranting list Jax. Although I think that if you ranted some more, you may have said some others I could have picked at.

One example might be, instead of having some generic evil group (or one of the ones fro canon) being the enemy, why not have someone convince the trainer to join their group? I think it stands to reason that not everyone in one of those groups is doing it thinking "I like being evil! bwahaha!". In the case of Team Magma for example, I can see a lot of them being otherwise good people who believe in the group's cause. Rather than having a bunch of people who can't resist acting sinister, why not have a leader or admins who are charismatic and very convincing, ones who the OT can even relate too? They might even allow them to pursue their desire to battle all the gyms while doing jobs on the side that further the cause. Heck, if they gave the trainer some kind of support, perhaps monetarily, than they might be further persuaded to take up the group's cause.
Is that a good or bad thing?
Well, I had that idea and still do! Just my fic isn't far enough to go anywhere...xD

Now, let me think...
I kinda get peeved when romance fics are just blatant "I want in your pants". It's...crap.
And underdevelopment of plot and stuff is annoying too.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That's a nice list of common trends in Pokemon fanfiction.

Thanks.

While the level of writing and execution might affect the overall quality of the OT story in question, I am of the mind that originality is far more important.

To tell you the truth, with something as tried-and-true as an OT story, I definitely agree. Even if it's a serious crapfic, it might still pull off being better than the cookie-cutter fics I've seen a lot of.

One example might be, instead of having some generic evil group (or one of the ones fro canon) being the enemy, why not have someone convince the trainer to join their group?

Or have the trainer already be a member. One fic I've read a couple years ago actually took this route, although I'd have to say I wish I could've seen more of the effects and pressure of being on an evil team put on the main character. (As in, a Team Rocket member can't just waltz anywhere they'd like, you know?)

I like your idea as well, of course. I would elaborate further, but you've pretty much stated my thoughts already. These leaders are charismatic, and they often don't believe they're in the wrong. (At least, in the cases of Maxie, Archie, and Cyrus.) Yet, for whatever reason, they're never portrayed as such. They're always the sinister shadows in the corner.

I remember one fic where random hoodlums approach Ash and May, and one of them says something like "well have a fun time with her if you know what I mean" (just like that), and Ash responds with "you sick bastard!", and following a swift arse kicking, Ash and May are over 9000!!! times closer.

*facepalm* Oh gods.

Seen mine? Sure, it's craptacular but still, it's got nothing to do with legends. xD

1. Mystic beginnings =/= legendary Pokemon or legends at all. It could be as simple as a Naruto knock-off, where the main character becomes the container for an ancient spirit, or a set-up for an epic, LOTR-style battle that comes in later. In any case, this mystic beginning comes in much later, most likely to explain what the main character is the Chosen One for, if that makes sense.

2. One fic disputes the term "most likely"? O_o If there were thirty, sure, I'd think about retracting this statement, but.

Ever? My fic again. Check the closed one. My main character gets the second Pokemon...

His or her second choice or the second Pokemon there? Because if it's the second choice, then sure, there's exceptions. If it's just, for example, the one in the middle of the line, then that's not really what I meant.

Well, now that I've done that, I have to say, great ranting list Jax.

Thanks.

Although I think that if you ranted some more, you may have said some others I could have picked at.

Maybe I'll add others later.

Tokin

:3
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Sep 19, 2009
in the case of pokemon fics, where there's an anime ish beginning, aka, the main character going off for the first pokemon, but oversleeping or something, pretty much "the start of a journey" all over again
in fanfiction in general, fanficitions where the main character is a product of a prophecy, also when the main caracter or characters can outclass fors such as professional soldiers or much stronger and numerous forces without having a special condition or being explicitly better themselves, it's just so unrealistic XD

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I can't stand romances that move too fast. Dear God, I can't stand those. Love does not move that fast.

And what's worse is when they go from meeting to "I want in your pants" in eight seconds flat. I mean, even a lemon has a better development(assuming that it's well written, that is).

Stories that involve canon characters with a past that makes it see fit that they already have an attraction to each other is fine, though, as long as it's executed correctly.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years
Well...
I guess...

It would have to be...
Out of character canon people...Or when it's just overdone.
I once read a fic where Brock was pretty much randomley spanking and groping every girl he saw...
Not very brockish IMO.
More of a word guy...
Well...
You get the point.

And Tracey totally wouldn't burn Ash with a metal rod.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
When someone writes a story off of a video game. Don't get me wrong. I take inspiration form everywhere. But don't have your fics be the script of the video game. If I wanted to know that much about the game, I would have bought it.

EDIT: Basically when someone writes a Fictional, and they have no imagination.

Last edited:

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Believe it or not, despite what I've said about the Pokemon Anime, my biggest annoyance (and probably one of the most controversial ones) is when any Writer or Reviewer brings up realism in a Pokemon Fic. And it happens alot more often than most people will admit (especially on Serebii). To those people, here is my response.

If you want to write a realistic Pokemon Fic, that's great. Go ahead. I might even read it. But if I wanted my Pokemon Fic to be realistic, then the whole concept of Pokemon battling would be disallowed globally, since there is no way it would be legal in any real world scenario.

I wouldn't be so annoyed about this, but it seems that one of the biggest criticisms for Fics, or even one of the biggest themes in Fics lately is realism. You see more comments about making the story or characters realistic nowadays than ones about anything else. Go ahead and quote me on this. I can bring up so many examples of it that you'd be utterly snowed.

And to me, being totally realistic in a series, where the whole point is for cute animals to beat each other senseless for sport, just doesn't follow any real logic. Nor does the idea that said creatures in said 'realistic' scenario all seem to have absolutely no problems with any of it.

Things like this are probably the reason I'm more into writing parodies of Pokemon now. They're stupid, and they make just as little sense as the Anime. But at least anyone reading them will know why.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
Heh. I've thought more than once about how silly the Pokemon world is. Both the idea of people battling without Pokemon dying/trainers being hit by crossfire, and that so many Pokemon don't mind spending most of their time confined to a tiny little ball. Oh, and ten year olds traveling across the country. 'Realistically' there would be a huge mortality rate.

I'd say 'realism' can only be taken so far in a Pokemon fic before everything comes apart, aye.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Oh, and ten year olds traveling across the country. 'Realistically' there would be a huge mortality rate.
Pet peeve: the "realistically, ten-year-olds wouldn't be able to journey successfully" argument.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
Pet peeve: the "realistically, ten-year-olds wouldn't be able to journey successfully" argument.

In the Pokemon world, I'm sure they can, because it makes use of suspension of disbelief. I wouldn't fault the anime or a fanfic for doing this. I'm just saying, if we allow for the kind of realism people in our world deal with, then considering some wild Pokemon are apt to attack trainers, new ones could well be killed with some consistency. There's also being able to pay for food and shelter and avoiding other dangers on there own. It wouldn't be impossible, but it wouldn't be something everyone does.

Negrek

Years
Oh, I don't think that it's something that everyone does in any case. But in a realistic world, trainers would still have their own pokémon to defend them from wilds, presumably considerable education to prepare them for survival on their own, and because Pokémon Centers at least shelter trainers for free in canon, and may provide meals also, I'm not sure those are really such huge issues as people who go for that argument make them out to be.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
I'm not sure they'd get any special education since we've seen a number of cases where trainers don't know fairly basic things (Ash or other main characters early on, and some of the 'fresh' trainers encountered). I know there are Pokemon to protect them from wild ones, but sometimes they might not be strong enough to protect them (either because the wild one is stronger, or there are a lot more of them).

Pokemon centers would certainly help in cities, and while we haven't seen them provide food, it isn't so hard to imagine that they would provide basic meals to people who come in for the night. There might still be some problems on the road though, where there are no trainers near by.

There isn't really a lot of clarity on what the requirements are to be a trainer. If it was made so that you have to pass certain tests which cover Pokemon battles, types, wild Pokemon behavior, survival skills, etc, then I'd be sold on it happening when we bring in our world's 'realism'. I'm sure there are some fics out there that do this, or something similar.

Negrek

Years
I'm not sure they'd get any special education since we've seen a number of cases where trainers don't know fairly basic things (Ash or other main characters early on, and some of the 'fresh' trainers encountered). I know there are Pokemon to protect them from wild ones, but sometimes they might not be strong enough to protect them (either because the wild one is stronger, or there are a lot more of them).
Given that we were talking about more realistic 'fic, I thought it more or less a given that the general incompetence of a lot of the anime canon characters wouldn't make much of a difference. It's clear that they're not existing in a "realistic" world.

In any case, I'm not saying that bad stuff couldn't happen to little Johnny ten-year-old; just that the fact that some unwise or unlucky trainers wouldn't get mowed down doesn't mean that ten-year-olds can't reasonably be expected to journey successfully, or even that a significant portion of them would meet untimely ends. I'd put down considerations such as food or shelter between cities down to survival skills and planning; if someone doesn't have enough money to buy their own food, they're obviously going to need to go home, and if they haven't learned the basics of camping/hate camping they'll probably be going home soon as well.

In any case, yes, it might be logical to require some sort of examination pass to *legally* or *officially* start training at ten, or any age, but you'll probably need to modify your world anyway in order to make it realistic enough that ten-year-olds would reasonably not be expected to be cheerfully wandering around on their own. And yeah, there's been 'fics that've done that, and more than a handful.

Edit: I suppose what really irks me about that line of thinking is the fact that some authors decide that this means that the age of training should be raised to some arbitrary but teenaged number like fourteen because it's "more realistic that way." Like a fourteen-year-old with a charmander against fifty spearows is going to stand more of a chance than a ten-year-old with a charmander against fifty spearows.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
Well, I was trying to say that the Pokemon world type of characters in a realistic type of world wouldn't really fly. It *should* be a given that they be more competent before setting out, but as this is fanfiction, this isn't always the case.

If we are allowing for all this training and preparation before hand, then I'm sure there would be some who could do it. Though if we're thinking in these 'realistic' terms, I also suspect the legal age would be raised to something higher. What that number is, I don't know, but likely higher than 10 or 11, except in rare cases. If 10 isn't good enough though, I doubt 14 would be either.

Negrek

Years
If we are allowing for all this training and preparation before hand, then I'm sure there would be some who could do it. Though if we're thinking in these 'realistic' terms, I also suspect the legal age would be raised to something higher. What that number is, I don't know, but likely higher than 10 or 11, except in rare cases. If 10 isn't good enough though, I doubt 14 would be either.
Edit: Never mind, didn't read properly. I would tend to agree that if there was a serious issue with people training pokémon, such that one would by necessity raise the minimum age for official, recognized journeying, it wouldn't be something like fourteen or sixteen. What age really is appropriate for attempting mastery over creatures oftentimes far more powerful than yourself, I suppose one could argue. The problem is usually worst when someone changes the minimum starting age, then doesn't actually change anything else about the world, except that now everyone is slightly older. Presumably if pokémon training were considered dangerous enough to warrant a jump in minimum age, there would be an evident change in how pokémon and training are viewed in general by the people in that 'fic's world.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
EDIT: I posted a reply before your edit came up xD

I definitely agree that it is silly to change only the starting age but leave everything else the same.

Midnight Jasper

Guardian of Nightshade
Years
To start a new topic...
My pet peeve is when random Japanese terms are used in the middle of a fic that is otherwise quite good. Honorifics (-san, -chan), okay. What I can't stand is:

"Kasumi-san!" cried Satoshi. "That's so smart!"
Kasumi shrugged. "Baka. Urusai..."
"Urusai nai yo!" Satoshi complained. "Kasumi-san!"
Just as she walked off, he burst out: "Watashi wa aishiteru!"

WTF???
If you're not a Japanese speaker, don't abuse the language. Do you hate it when they randomly insert English into Chinese/Japanese songs, normally in a grammatically uncorrect and stupid fashion? It's the same here.

Back