The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Game Development > Progressing Games

Notices

Progressing Games All game threads go in this forum. Come and check out the games in development, or make a thread for your own. Constructive criticism is welcome!
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Old October 18th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Magnemite
I'm in the past.

Advertise here
NOW RECRUITING!

UPDATE

As I posted below, I've been thinking about taking a more realistic, real-world approach to Pokemon. Something along the lines of "What if Pokemon were real in the Los Angeles area?"

As it stands now, in the real world, civilization and wilderness don't mix together like they do in the Pokemon world.

I want to make a Pokemon game that represents this. There will be cities and towns, but they will all be connected without wild areas in between, as this is how most developed areas are. In real life, to get from your home city to the next city over, you don't have to walk down a dirt path where wild bears are going to jump out at you. (At least not in urban/suburban areas.)

Instead, there will be unsettled areas that players will have to travel to in order to catch Pokemon. It's similar to hunting. If you live in a city and want to go hunting, you can't just walk down the road and shoot the first wild animal you see. Mainly because there aren't many wild animals just running around a suburban neighborhood. You actually have to travel to a location where hunting is allowed and animals are abundant.

The same concept would be applied to the game.

Original idea that grew into the idea above.

I was thinking about how the regions in Pokemon games are based on parts of Japan, then I thought "Why not make a game where the regions are based on a different country?" And from this simple thought, the idea of Pokemon: America Version was born. (Of course the title will be changed to something "cooler" if I ever make this a reality.)

So the proposed idea is this: Have the player start in a major U.S. city, such as New York or Los Angeles. There are no longer "Routes" because everything is like the U.S. in real life. You can take public transportation, such as buses and subways, or call for taxis. Since there are no routes, I'm sure you're wondering where all the wild Pokemon will be. There will be certain outlying "Wilderness Areas." These areas are the preserved natural parts of the U.S., such as National Forests, Parks, etc. Some examples include Yosemite National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, the Angeles National Forest, and Rio Grande National Forest.

Once you have completed your objectives in a certain city, you will be given a plane ticket by someone (The Professor?) and fly to another city.

The cities I plan to include for certain are Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Miami, Houston, Honolulu, Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix, San Francisco, and Washington, D.C. Other cities may be included as well.

Applications
Spoiler:
PM me with this information.

Name:
Position:
E-mail:
Proof of work:

I'll PM you letting you know if you've been chosen.

Positions
Spoiler:
Tile Spriter
This is one of the most important positions needed to make this game happen. I want the game to have either a GBA or DS feel (I haven't decided yet) but I want each city to look like the actual city it represents. This means skyscrapers, streets, sidewalks, small shops, etc.

Character Spriter
This isn't as important, as I was just planning on using the GBA or DS sprites from someone's set, but I will need people to make custom sprites for certain important characters, specifically the hero/heroine.

Mapper
I'd like to think I'm a competent mapper, but it would be nice to have people working with me on this, since the maps will likely be quite large. I'm thinking of compressing the cities, but creating something like 5-10 realistic city blocks.

Creative Thinkers
I'm pretty set here, but anyone who has good ideas for plot, sidequests, etc. can apply for this position.

I'm still trying to concentrate on my main project, Blue: Epilogue, but if enough people apply to help me with this, I'd gladly shift my time over here.

If you can script or sprite and would be interested in helping me bring my prized project back to life, please PM me! Thanks!

Watch the promo here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=160659
Request a region map for your game: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4524167

Last edited by Magnemite; October 19th, 2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ravecat
I'm Right.

Nature: Careful
Well it sounds interesting.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of America, but whatever.
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Magnemite
I'm in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoN~ View Post
Well it sounds interesting.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of America, but whatever.
It doesn't necessarily have to be America. I've been thinking more, and I might just turn it into a more realistic, real-world interpretation of Pokemon.

As it stands now, in the real world, civilization and wilderness don't mix together like they do in the Pokemon world.

I want to make a Pokemon game that represents this. There will be cities and towns, but they will all be connected without wild areas in between, as this is how most developed areas are. In real life, to get from your home city to the next city over, you don't have to walk down a dirt path where wild bears are going to jump out at you. (At least not in urban/suburban areas.)

Instead, there will be unsettled areas that players will have to travel to in order to catch Pokemon. It's similar to hunting. If you live in a city and want to go hunting, you can't just walk down the road and shoot the first wild animal you see. Mainly because there aren't many wild animals just running around a suburban neighborhood. You actually have to travel to a location where hunting is allowed and animals are abundant.

The same concept would be applied to the game.

If you can script or sprite and would be interested in helping me bring my prized project back to life, please PM me! Thanks!

Request a region map for your game: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=4524167
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Exiled~Shadow
Once, JJMcay Now Exiled~Shadow

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Yahoo to Exiled~Shadow Send a message via Skype™ to Exiled~Shadow
seems ok... it will give it a much more realistic feal... good luck...

Maby you could have pokempn like racoons and stuff that live in the city...
Just an idea.....

An untold tale of the high seas...
A tale of the dawn of exploration...
A tale that spans time...
A tale, never told before...

Pokémon: Age of Exploration
Coming Soon...

~~~~

Old October 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Magnemite
I'm in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMcay View Post
seems ok... it will give it a much more realistic feal... good luck...

Maby you could have pokempn like racoons and stuff that live in the city...
Just an idea.....
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The only wild animals that you really see in cities are birds, and sometimes squirrels and raccoons, depending on where you live.

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Nikko.Ideator
Black FC: 2022 7801 5735

Nature: Sassy
This really seems a lot like my hack...

Except my hack is the whole world...

Oh, well. I'm 100% sure you didn't copy me. And I don't really care much, anyway.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here