The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 29th, 2008 (09:34 AM).
Shadows

Nature: Calm
My sister delted all my rom hacks/tools.
This thread really helped me recover!
Thanks, Hackmew!
Old September 30th, 2008 (06:03 PM).
Hitsu
Beginning Trainer

I love your tools -HackMew- :-) You're probably the best programmer in the world ;> They're very useful to me.

PS. especially XSE, FSF and APE are the most useful.
Old October 3rd, 2008 (11:39 PM).
Sgt. Custard
Novice Hacker

LOVE these tools HackMew, but I've got a few suggestions for XSE:

Suggestion: Compiling unsaved scripts
Description: Fairly self-explanatory: it would just be the ability to compile a script in an/some open tab(s) including decompiled scripts without having to save it every time. This would work well with the next suggestion.

Suggestion: Decompiled dynamic offsets
Description: This would be when you decompile a script, it shows names rather than offsets after the "#org". These could be: "start", "script1", "script2", "msg1", "msg2", "move1" and "move2". This would be useful because it would mean you could edit and extend a script and recompile it directly from the tab without worrying about it overwriting something else because it would be automatically repointed and the previous script wiped (with FF's). This could be turned on and off.

Suggestion: #org labels
Description: This would be when you hover over an #org/offset (name), a box appears with the length (in bytes) of the script and, for decompiled scripts, it's current location in the ROM.

Suggestion: Hex editor length
Description: The ability to select a series of bytes in the hex editor and to be told immediately how many bytes long that is.

Suggestion: Autocomplete
Description: Something like in PKSV, but less obtrusive; a single command (the most likely one) shown like this:
applymovement
as you type. Pressing TAB could autocomplete it. This could be turned on and off.

Suggestion: Command help labels
Description: The command help list is really helpful, but it would be even more helpful for a small box to appear after you type a command that shows the parameters needed for that command and the order they come in. Let's say you've typed "applymovement 0x2". A box would appear with:
applymovement
player no., movement offset
Something like in Excel, with the part you're currently on enboldened.

Suggestion: Msgbox maker
Description: Minor thing, but it would save some bother in larger scripts. When you type "msgbox", a box appears at the right hand side with an entry for offset (name) and message (with text adjusting). You type it in and click OK and it puts the script there for you. Would save having to scroll down and type "#org blah/ = (tools => text adjuster => convert => Ctrl+C => close => Ctrl=V)... Yes I'm lazy...

Suggestion: Ability to paste in text adjuster
Description: Self-explanatory

Suggestion: Movement make
Description: Like Msgbox maker, with buttons arranged something like this:

! ? etc...
^
<= <- < . > -> =>
etc...

So you can just click on the buttons and make the movement script without having to look it up everytime. There could even be a playback function to show you what it looks like.

Well... lots of stuff there. Clearly you don't have to do all of them (or any of them), but most of them I think would be welcomed by most hackers. I don't know how feasible all of this would be, but if you can do them, it would help make XSE even more obviously the best scripting program out there!
Old October 4th, 2008 (12:23 AM).
ZodiacDaGreat
Working on a Mobile System

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via ICQ to ZodiacDaGreat
Man, are you insane -.-"... All your suggestions are either useless or problematic.
Old October 4th, 2008 (03:44 PM).
cooley
///Keepin' it simple
Community Supporter

Nature: Impish
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Custard View Post
LOVE these tools HackMew, but I've got a few suggestions for XSE:

Well... lots of stuff there. Clearly you don't have to do all of them (or any of them), but most of them I think would be welcomed by most hackers(Nope, just you pal). I don't know how feasible all of this would be, but if you can do them, it would help make XSE even more obviously the best scripting program out there!(already is, my friend, already is...)
Quote:
Suggestion: Compiling unsaved scripts
Description: Fairly self-explanatory: it would just be the ability to compile a script in an/some open tab(s) including decompiled scripts without having to save it every time. This would work well with the next suggestion.
It can already do that...Did you even use XSE, before suggesting?
Quote:
Suggestion: Decompiled dynamic offsets
Description: This would be when you decompile a script, it shows names rather than offsets after the "#org". These could be: "start", "script1", "script2", "msg1", "msg2", "move1" and "move2". This would be useful because it would mean you could edit and extend a script and recompile it directly from the tab without worrying about it overwriting something else because it would be automatically repointed and the previous script wiped (with FF's). This could be turned on and off.
Just useless. Stop being lazy, XSE has A "linking offsets" function, which you Ctrl+Click, and it'll take you to the offset you clicked on.
Quote:
Suggestion: #org labels
Description: This would be when you hover over an #org/offset (name), a box appears with the length (in bytes) of the script and, for decompiled scripts, it's current location in the ROM.
How about you just, press F1, over a command?
Quote:
Suggestion: Hex editor length
Description: The ability to select a series of bytes in the hex editor and to be told immediately how many bytes long that is.
Not useful, at all...Plus, this'll take a LOOONG time to implement.
Quote:
Suggestion: Autocomplete
Description: Something like in PKSV, but less obtrusive; a single command (the most likely one) shown like this:
applymovement
as you type. Pressing TAB could autocomplete it. This could be turned on and off.
You want Autocomplete? Then use PKSV! Why would -Hackmew- want to copy Score_under's idea?
Quote:
Suggestion: Command help labels
Description: The command help list is really helpful, but it would be even more helpful for a small box to appear after you type a command that shows the parameters needed for that command and the order they come in. Let's say you've typed "applymovement 0x2". A box would appear with:
applymovement
player no., movement offset
Something like in Excel, with the part you're currently on enboldened.
That will be featured, in the Comprehensive Scripting Guide, soon to come. But why not experiment? And it gives enough detailed information, in order too. You just have to comprehend it...
Quote:
Suggestion: Msgbox maker
Description: Minor thing, but it would save some bother in larger scripts. When you type "msgbox", a box appears at the right hand side with an entry for offset (name) and message (with text adjusting). You type it in and click OK and it puts the script there for you. Would save having to scroll down and type "#org blah/ = (tools => text adjuster => convert => Ctrl+C => close => Ctrl=V)... Yes I'm lazy...
You are ... I don't even have a word for you.
That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset

Quote:
Suggestion: Ability to paste in text adjuster
Description: Self-explanatory
TEXT ADJUSTER CAN ALREADY PASTE!!!!! JUST RIGHT CLICK!!!
Quote:
Suggestion: Movement make
Description: Like Msgbox maker, with buttons arranged something like this:

! ? etc...
^
<= <- < . > -> =>
etc...

So you can just click on the buttons and make the movement script without having to look it up everytime. There could even be a playback function to show you what it looks like.
-HackMew- Plans on including this in the next release, but I can't tell you much more though...

Old October 6th, 2008 (11:51 AM).
Sgt. Custard
Novice Hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooley View Post
It can already do that...Did you even use XSE, before suggesting?
No, I'm pretty sure you can't do that; I'd be interested how that's done if it can be, though.

Quote:
Just useless. Stop being lazy, XSE has A "linking offsets" function, which you Ctrl+Click, and it'll take you to the offset you clicked on.
I think you misunderstood me: I meant that when you decompile a script from a ROM, XSE automagically assigns a name to all the offsets (essentially dynamic offsets), so that when you recompile the script, there's no risk of overwriting something else if it becomes too long. It could simply repoint and wipe where the script used to be with FF's.
It's not useless at all; in fact it would be quite helpful.

Quote:
How about you just, press F1, over a command?
Er... that's not what I meant at all... I meant you put the cursor over an OFFSET/OFFSET NAME, and it tells you the length of the script in bytes. And for decompiled dynamic offsets as discussed above, it could also tell you the current offset in the ROM.

Quote:
Not useful, at all...Plus, this'll take a LOOONG time to implement.
Well it could be useful, but if it's too difficult to implement, then fine, don't. I'm not a programmer, and don't pretend to be; it seemed to be a fairly simple thing, but if it isn't, then clearly he shouldn't bother. It was only a suggestion.

Quote:
You want Autocomplete? Then use PKSV! Why would -Hackmew- want to copy Score_under's idea?
Because it's a good idea... There's nothing wrong with using a similar thing, because it's hardly that original: score_under didn't found the concept of autocomplete did he? It's just useful for saving time.
I don't use PKSV because XSE is better in so many other ways, but autocomplete would just make it even better. Also, PKSV's autocomplete is annoying and get's in the way. It could be very simple: just place a highlighted completion of the most likely command result from the input after what you are typing, a bit like what happens when you type in the command help search

Quote:
That will be featured, in the Comprehensive Scripting Guide, soon to come. But why not experiment? And it gives enough detailed information, in order too. You just have to comprehend it...
Well the F1 thing from above helped: I didn't realise you could do that.

Quote:
You are ... I don't even have a word for you.

That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset

Well it wouldn't... All I really mean is when you type msgbox, text adjusting appears with a box for putting the offset/offset name, so when you press convert, it just goes straight into a script down below so you can continue with the script.
Again, it's only a suggestion and a minor one at that; if it's too difficult/lengthy to implement then don't. It's just a timesaver.

Quote:
TEXT ADJUSTER CAN ALREADY PASTE!!!!! JUST RIGHT CLICK!!!
You are mistaken, you cannot paste text into text adjuster.

Quote:
-HackMew- Plans on including this in the next release, but I can't tell you much more though...
Well great!

I'm sorry if I offended you; I was only trying to help.
Old October 6th, 2008 (02:38 PM).
cooley
///Keepin' it simple
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cooley Send a message via Skype™ to cooley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Custard View Post
No, I'm pretty sure you can't do that; I'd be interested how that's done if it can be, though.

I think you misunderstood me: I meant that when you decompile a script from a ROM, XSE automagically assigns a name to all the offsets (essentially dynamic offsets), so that when you recompile the script, there's no risk of overwriting something else if it becomes too long. It could simply repoint and wipe where the script used to be with FF's.
It's not useless at all; in fact it would be quite helpful.

Er... that's not what I meant at all... I meant you put the cursor over an OFFSET/OFFSET NAME, and it tells you the length of the script in bytes. And for decompiled dynamic offsets as discussed above, it could also tell you the current offset in the ROM.

Well it could be useful, but if it's too difficult to implement, then fine, don't. I'm not a programmer, and don't pretend to be; it seemed to be a fairly simple thing, but if it isn't, then clearly he shouldn't bother. It was only a suggestion.

Because it's a good idea... There's nothing wrong with using a similar thing, because it's hardly that original: score_under didn't found the concept of autocomplete did he? It's just useful for saving time.
I don't use PKSV because XSE is better in so many other ways, but autocomplete would just make it even better. Also, PKSV's autocomplete is annoying and get's in the way. It could be very simple: just place a highlighted completion of the most likely command result from the input after what you are typing, a bit like what happens when you type in the command help search

Well the F1 thing from above helped: I didn't realise you could do that.

That will take more time, than it will take to type in, msgbox 0xOffset[/font]

Well it wouldn't... All I really mean is when you type msgbox, text adjusting appears with a box for putting the offset/offset name, so when you press convert, it just goes straight into a script down below so you can continue with the script.
Again, it's only a suggestion and a minor one at that; if it's too difficult/lengthy to implement then don't. It's just a timesaver.

You are mistaken, you cannot paste text into text adjuster.

Well great!

I'm sorry if I offended you; I was only trying to help.
Hey, well it's really not up to me, it's up to -HackMew-

And I didn't realize, most of the things I said are in XSE are the ones that are in the XSE I'm beta testing(Which is far more greater than the one you use)

I can't wait till -HackMew- Releases it to public, then you guys will really know the power of XSE!

Old October 6th, 2008 (05:43 PM).
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
O.o! Massive argument of whether stuff is useful or not!

Well, I have a problem.
When I open a script, the text in the script is all...well...blank. It's a lot of spaces. Everything else is OK, but not the text. I've tried 4 different FR Roms, even and Emerald ROM but it's still the same problem. Eheheh...I think it's my computer, because thethethethe's Item Editor ha v\h\10203\h\v\10249 and stuff as the item names and descriptions...Any way I can fix this?
Old October 8th, 2008 (11:39 AM).
nick11202
Beginning Trainer

I use all of these tools almost everyday and I love it!

This is helping me re-make Pokemon Frosty :)
Old October 10th, 2008 (07:56 AM).
gray2345
The Pig Apocalypse is coming!

Old October 11th, 2008 (05:53 AM).
Champio30
Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge

XSE cuts off a lot of text. This is what it looks like.

'-----------------------
#org 0x160ADA
msgbox 0x81C528B '"["]Those whose memories fade seek t..."
callstd 0x3
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org 0x1C528B
= ["]Those whose memories fade seek to\ncarve them in their hearts..."

Old October 11th, 2008 (12:26 PM). Edited October 11th, 2008 by score_under.
score_under
I program the *other* ASM.

Nature: Rash
@Champio30:
This was intentional, to avoid repetition of hugely long text.
Old October 11th, 2008 (05:13 PM).
Champio30
Pokemon: Team Alpha's Revenge

so how do you fix that, to show the huge text?

Old October 11th, 2008 (05:23 PM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champio30
so how do you fix that, to show the huge text?
Its a preview, its there so you can see what that pointer's about. The full text is located at the bottom "Strings"
Old October 18th, 2008 (06:46 PM).
Haowakeorden
Gym Leader

Nature: Hardy
Is there a time scale for your future projects (Advance Trainer, Pokémon Editor Advance, etc.)? Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2008 (05:16 PM).
D4Ni3L
Beginning Trainer

Thanks
i'm a n00b in hacking and lets see if i can accomplish anything :D

Old October 22nd, 2008 (11:46 AM).
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
I hope the next tool will be Advance trainer, since the Trainer editor that Juan made doesn't work and I can't find a link to PET anywhere. :s With other words, I can't edit any trainers......
Old October 23rd, 2008 (04:17 PM).
cooley
///Keepin' it simple
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSalamence View Post
I hope the next tool will be Advance trainer, since the Trainer editor that Juan made doesn't work and I can't find a link to PET anywhere. :s With other words, I can't edit any trainers......
Actually, yes it is. All I can say is that it'll be really good

Old October 23rd, 2008 (10:01 PM). Edited October 23rd, 2008 by -DarK-.
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Actually, yes it is. All I can say is that it'll be really good ;)
Hurray!!! xD Finally, we'll finally get a trainer editor that actually works :P Btw, how far is he on that editor? Any beta-releases yet, or actual release date?
Old October 24th, 2008 (12:16 AM).
ZodiacDaGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSalamence
Hurray!!! xD Finally, we'll finally get a trainer editor that actually works Btw, how far is he on that editor? Any beta-releases yet, or actual release date?
I assure you all, it'll take quite a while for Andrea aka HackMew to resume A-Trainer as of now XSE is top priority so be patient - everything will be available in due time.
Old October 24th, 2008 (10:27 PM).
Piplup989
Current Location: Unknown

Nature: Quirky
I'v been looking for something like this for a while!
Old October 26th, 2008 (12:36 AM).
Pikiame
Beginning Trainer

Oi hackmew could you make hacking tools for not just pokemon but other games?
Old October 26th, 2008 (01:11 AM).
Swampert 22
Is making tools for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikiame View Post
Oi hackmew could you make hacking tools for not just pokemon but other games?
I am sure HackMew could make tools for another game if he had the data. There is nothing different about hacking a Pokémon game's data to a Mario game. At the end of the day, it's all just manipulating HEX.

I've made some tools for Pokémon hacking! Please check out the thread... Swampert Tools Showcase

Head over to my thread to check out my latest tool, Pokémon Red/Blue Trainer Editor!

Visit my site for Pokémon ROM Hacking tools! Swampert Tools Homepage
Old October 26th, 2008 (01:53 AM).
Pikiame
Beginning Trainer

Well I wanted to make a pokemon cross-over with another game I had I in mind.
Old October 26th, 2008 (01:58 AM).
Swampert 22
Is making tools for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikiame View Post
Well I wanted to make a pokemon cross-over with another game I had I in mind.
Which game? I am sure that if it's relatively popular then it will have already been hacked and there will be tools for it.

I've made some tools for Pokémon hacking! Please check out the thread... Swampert Tools Showcase

Head over to my thread to check out my latest tool, Pokémon Red/Blue Trainer Editor!

Visit my site for Pokémon ROM Hacking tools! Swampert Tools Homepage
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links