Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill

Advertise here
Currently with A LOT of clients a-waiting (apparently) - Beta Readers, take a look! THREAD TO BE REPOSTED SOON! CHECK YOUR PMs PLEASE.

Welcome to the Beta Place! Here, one can apply to be a beta reader, or apply to get a beta reader. An organised system that'll hopefully make things easier for people willing to help others with their fic, or people who want help with their fic - whether if it's for another set of eyes to proofread, or major improvements in their fic. And is a shameless copy of purple drake's one on Serebii with some changes XD.

Now, all standard rules apply here including fanfic rules, of course, but also a few more:

- All contact between beta readers and their 'clients' should be through PM and/or email, NOT in the thread. Yes, this goes for people asking someone to be their beta reader and vice versa. This is merely a place of reference, and for applying/submitting applications.

- Emphasis on no spamming. Note from Astinus: This means no "thanking" bobandbill or Astinus when they approve your application. Let's keep this thread neat.

- Don’t apply unless you’re serious about the story or being a beta-reader. By ‘serious’ I mean you’ve thought about it, you know where it’s going and/or know you’re going to stick with it.

- Astinus and I have the right to refuse your submission to be a beta reader, if we think you may not be up to standard. We want people we are sure will help out others, not people who will do a limited job.

- If you were waiting for a beta reader and got one, or you want to update your status, tell me and I'll update it here.

- Beta readers have the right to refuse to beta a story if they have a reason for it. If said reason is they don't have time to take any more stories, they should however tell me or Astinus (preferably me) via PM about it, so we can update your information here.

So, stick to those rules, people.

General advice as well:
- This thread is about guidance, so if you disagree with your mentor you can bring it up with them. Just be polite about it; remember, they are just trying to help you.

- It is advisable to read over your work BEFORE you hand it over to the beta reader. Beta readers aren't a spell and grammar check, but real people (gasp!), so keep that in mind. In other words - don't hand in something that hasn't been run through a proof-read by yourself and a simple spell check to pick up on the simple mistakes (after all, that's what a spell check is for anyway) - Beta Readers want to be able to read your work without going mad.

- Be patient. Beta readers have to take the time to help, so don’t pester them about when they’ll be done with your chapter. That said, if it’s been two weeks or something and you haven’t heard a word, then feel free to give them a poke.

- On the flip side, if you a beta reader with a piece of writing ready to beta and it’s been a few days, and you KNOW it'll be a while yet in coming, warn your mentoree it might take a while. If you’re going away or you’re losing your Internet access, then let them know.

- You CAN be a beta reader and also apply for one as well. We're not all perfect.

Now that's over with, here we go with the applications. First, to be a beta reader. These are both for people to see your style of beta reading and all that jazz, and Astinus and I to see if you are acceptable or not.

BETA READERS:

Category:
Genre specialty:
Preferred method of contact:
Examples of writing:
Examples of reviews/beta-reports:
Strengths/weaknesses (optional):

Now, for what each one means... PLEASE READ!
Spoiler:

Category - what type of beta reader you are. Here are the list of what you can choose from:
- Comprehensive - basically, everything and anything on fanfiction
- Character
- Plot
- Language
- Grammar
- Proof-reading - just another set of eyes to look over the work

You can have multiple types for category as well.

Genre specialty- what genre or type of story are you best in? Tragedy? OT fics?

Preferred method of contact - PM or e-mail - if the latter, specify your e-mail too, for obvious reasons.

Examples of writing - here, insert links or quotes of your writing - AT LEAST TWO! You can have more as well. Also, a short paragraph or the such does not count as an example. Show us what you can do, and also the people wanting a beta reader as well. A scene will do, but don't hesitate in linking to an entire story if you choose to. If you haven't actually written anything - no problems there, just say so - we are more concerned over your ability with the next one...

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: - same as before, link (or spoiler-fy) preferable here - but this time AT LEAST TWO examples of reviews or beta reports. Here, Astinus and I can see how well you can beta (or, if you have no examples handy), review. This will also show those clients how well you can do your job as well.

Strengths/weaknesses (optional): not needed unlike the others, but here you can add in what your strengths and weaknesses are in writing and/or beta-reading. This is more beneficial for the clients who can see your strengths and weaknesses if they can't decide between two beta readers.

Ok, now, to be a client. If you look at the list and already know who you want, and you contact them outside this thread, no worries. However, if you are undecided or want people to know you need a beta reader, use this application which should give the necessary information a beta reader may be interested in.

CLIENTS:

Title of Story:
Fandom:
Plot summary:
Genre:
Rating (PG, R, etc):
Type of mentor needed:
Writing sample of story:
Other: (such as, how long you've been writing for, what you think your strengths and weaknesses in writing are - optional)

Fandom refers to, for example, Pokemon, or others such as, say, Digimon.
Genre - type of story - horror, Original Trainer, etc.
Type of mentor refers to the category section - do you want a Comprehensive beta reader, or a Proofreader, and so forth.
Writing sample - please include at least a few paragraphs of the story you want beta-reading.

That about covers it, then.

So remember, post to apply to be a beta reader, or a client (unless you know who you want to contact here, of course). Communicate between yourselves then via PM or E-mail, and then notify me so I can update your status.

Get posting people! Currently - at least one Beta Reader in each category, and one client seeking a beta Reader - get to it!

CURRENT LIST OF BETA READERS:

Comprehensive Beta Readers:
[Mentors who are pretty good at all aspects of fiction. Best for very new writers or anyone in need of general help.]

Valentine (Also a Proofreader) - CLOSED

Genre specialty: None in particular. I'd be happy to read and go over anything.
Method of contact: PM for arrangement; e-mail ([email protected] , with your fic saved as a DOC or RTF attachment) once you're ready for me to go over your work. Thanks.
Examples of writing: Most of my work on PC, LiveJournal, and FFNet has been indexed one way or another here.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Neo Groudon (review also done in my beta style); Galactic Operation: Johto; Breaking Out; The Rivalry
Spoiler:
I tend to be incredibly critical. While I guarantee you that I will try to be more polite than I am in reviews (*motions above*), I will still be straightforward (as in, without sugarcoating) and point out pretty much everything, especially if I think you haven't taken my advice from a previous chapter/version. In some senses, this is a strength because I'm thorough for your sake. In other senses, I may be caught up in details or repeat myself frequently.

I also tend to procrastinate a lot, and I take at least a week per chapter. And then I get a little ticked if you try to rush me. So, if you want me to beta for you, you'll probably end up realizing how patient you actually are.

On the positive side, I've spent a number of years studying both English lit and language arts. While this seems like I'm bragging, all I'm saying is most of my life right now is focused on studying the inner workings of literature and understanding how various parts of speech function. If given time, I can take apart a story (analyzing plot elements, characterization, and the little details) and its language (perspective, how language is used – even what certain words imply) to tell you whether or not it works. Not only that, but I have a fondness for applying research to writing, so I'd be able to tell you if your smaller details are logical as well. In other words, I just have training in this kind of thing, and I'd like to think I do a decent job applying what I've learned in the classroom to reviewing.

Character Beta Readers:
[Mentors skilled in character portrayal and development.]

SilverSmeargleSplatter (Also a Plot Beta Reader) - OPEN

Genre specialty: Romance
Method of contact: PM
Examples of writing: Just A Brother; Face Down; e1337
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Lucas's Father; The lost island; The Tayla Journies Volume 1
Strengths/weaknesses:
Spoiler:
I tend to be a bit harsh on OT fics, but of course, I didn't apply for that(I really have no problem reading them, either). I'm still a little harsh in general, but it's mainly to get my point across so I won't have to repeat myself. Also, time is going to be limited for this upcoming week with bandcamp starting, not to mention school in about three weeks. But even still, I tend to squeeze in my precious computer time, and it will get easier when I have a laptop handy. I'm also horrible with sci-fi-ish fics...or 'end of the world' fics. Stuff like that. I'm normally quite the procrastinator, but for the sake of helping an author, I'm willing to put it at the top of my to-do list.

In writing a good number of romances, I know how they're supposed to flow. And then there's always what I see/am a part of in real life. Real inspiration is always helpful knowledge to have, whether you're writing on your own or helping someone else. Oh, I'm also going into my second year of CP English. Though I still have no clue what a predicate nominative is, I've pretty much got everything else.

iLike2EatPiez (Also a Plot Beta Reader) - OPEN

Genre specialty: 'OT Fics and fics with Pokemon as the main characters are probably my specialties, but I can give pretty much anything a go.'
Examples of writing: Team Relic's Story; Team Yukon's Story; Oneshot(FFC)-Abandoning the Dark
Review of Supah Funk's Absol Tales.
Review of iRawr-x's The Legend of Manaphy.
Review of Fire Eagle's The Tale of Fire Eagle.
Strengths/weaknesses:
Spoiler:
I tend to ignore grammar problems in my reviews, leaving those for others to point out and focusing strongly on the plot's issues. As such, I'm really not that skilled when it comes to going over grammar, but I consider one of my strengths to be presenting problems like believability, plot holes, emotion, and description in a clear way.

When it comes to reviewing, I'm serious about constructive critisism. If the writer has trouble accepting critisism, I push to get them to understand why it is important. But, of course, if you're looking for a beta reader you probably won't have that problem.

Plot Beta Readers:
[Mentors who can help with the development of plot twists, the story climax, and other problems with the storyline.]

SilverSmeargleSplatter (Also a Character Beta Reader - see Character list for further details) - OPEN

iLike2EatPiez (Also a Character Beta Reader - see Character list for further details) - OPEN

Buoysel (Also a Grammar Beta Reader - see Grammar list for further details) - OPEN

Hippy! (Also a Grammar Beta Reader) - OPEN

Genre specialty: Adventure, horror, journey, thriller. No romance though.
Preferred method of contact: PM
Examples of writing: Absol tales, Iron man, Forever shall I be at your side (Not completed):
Spoiler:
Thud thud thud. I heard the foot steps, dreading what was next.

Thud thud thud. They continued, adding to my dread.

Thud thud thud. Time slowed, but my heart sped up.

Thud thud thud. It was here, outside my door.

Thud thud thud. Slowly the door creaked, the thing was coming in.

Thud thud thud. The foot steps moved into my room, intesifying my fear.

Thud thud thud. It was standing there, underneath my bed.

Silence. It stopped moving. It must have seen what was on my desk.

Thud thud thud. It is standing by my bed again.

Thud thud thud. It is coming to the ladder.

Thud thud thud. It is climbing up to my bed.

I cannot look, my fear is to great.

"Zeke, wake up!" It shouted, at the foot of my mattress.

"I am awake." I replied, still not wanting to look.

"Good, then this will hurt more." It sneered, preparing whatever barbaric torture device it had in store.

Sharp, stinging pain in my forehead. A round metal object had been thrown, and out of it came a dear friend of mine.

"Sentret?" It said inquisitively.

"Hello Ette, how are you today?" I replied, rubbing the spot of impact on my forehead.

"Hey, idiot, get out of bed!" The thing said, this time simply hitting one of my feet with its fist.

"Leave monstrosity! To the realm from whence ye came!" I shouted, pointing at it.

"Hey! Mom told you not to call me that!" It exclaimed, equally as loud. "I'm gonna tell on you!" '

I sighed at this, hoping the consequences wouldn't be to severe. "By the way," It added before leaving "Mom told me to wake you up."

I watched the thing I call my sister leave, knocking over a few books on my desk on her way out. I groaned as I got out of bed, not wanting to leave the warmth of my blankets; and my body shared my minds sentiment. As I got to the bottom of the ladder leading up to my bed, I sat down on my sisters bed underneath. Ette had followed me down, and even as I sat on my sisters bed, she squeaked repeatedly, sometimes scratching at my door. I watched, wondering why she was acting so odd this morning, but nothing came to mind as I thought about it. I slowly made my way to my dresser to get my clothes for today, still wondering what Ette wanted. Once I had decided to wear a black turtleneck shirt that day with thick carpenter jeans, I walked over to my desk to pick up what my sister had knocked off. One was a book I was reading called 'Absol tales' and the other was a complete field guide of Johto, the region I lived in. I softly placed them back on my desk, turning around to find Ette, still scratching at the door. After watching her do this for a little bit longer, I finally figured out why she was acting this way.

Toady was the first day of my Gym leader challenge journey!

I quickly grabbed the books I had placed on my desk and rushed out of my green walled room and down my stairs, and into my kitchen.

My mother was in there, and when I walked in, she said "It's about time you woke up, you have to get going today!" Unlike most mothers, mine had accepted the fact that I was leaving, and had no problems with it. I said a quick "Yes, I know." to my mother, and sat down to eat my breakfast.

As I nearly inhaled my cereal, a sudden chill came over me, and I bolted upright slowly turning around. There stood the thing, and as I laid my eyes upon it, a shriek escaped my lips, and I nearly fell out of my seat.

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Reviews of Purplestealth's An awesome adventure, Reviews of Dark_Aero's Little bit longer, Reviews of lvl99rayquaza's Sinnoh guardians: rise of Blaze
Strengths/weaknesses:
Spoiler:
I may be a little harsh, or just plain odd. I tend to review things in a way that gets the job done good, but not in an extremely professional way. Other than that, I do sometimes act impulsive.

~Night - OPEN

Genre specialty: I think I'm probably best in Romance, but I'll do any genre you ask.
Examples of writing: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=175103 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145588 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=139881
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...56&postcount=2 http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...00&postcount=2
Strengths/weaknesses: I'm good with spelling and coming up with vocabulary. My weakness is that I can't make chapters a whole lot longer.

Grammar Beta Readers:
[Mentors who can help with ironing out those pesky grammatical errors.]

Blue Angel (Also a Language Beta Reader/Proofreader) - OPEN

Genre specialty: Any, I am pretty flexible. But I am best with romance, comedy, fantasy, and journey fics (or at least deeply interested in tackling Fantasy)

Examples of writing: N/A - although has unrevised and unposted story "Tear of Life".
Review of Pokémon Ryan's Adventure
Review of Sinnoh Saga
Review of Your My Everything (PG-16)

Strengths/weaknesses:
Spoiler:
I used to write poetry; some of my descriptions utalize that - which is fitting for Romance especially - Feel free to tell me if I go overboard there

Buoysel (Also a Plot Beta Reader) - OPEN

Genre specialty: None, I'll read anything.
Examples of writing: This Is Home, currently in production, but am "taking a break" aka Writer's Block.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=147648
Strengths/weaknesses: Strong in Plot, weak in Spelling

Hippy! (Also a Plot Beta Reader - see Plot list for further details) - OPEN

ShinjisLover (Also a Language Beta Reader) - OPEN

Genre: Any
Examples of writing: Here is one from my Shaman King story:
Spoiler:
After my chores – doing the laundry, picking up the groceries and doing quite frankly everything – I would be forced to read twenty pages from a math textbook and 10 pages from any other textbook of my choosing, as long as it would improve my IQ. I was not allowed to go to school, as my father knew that it would make me less obedient. I would become less of a dog; less of a puppet to him.

And one from my Pokémon story:
Spoiler:
Without a word, he walked over to the small bed I was sitting in and picked up the rubber ball I was playing with earlier that day. His paw gripped the ball hard, flexing the muscles in his arm. I could see the anger building up inside of him just by looking into his eyes; the once blue eyes were clouded over and irritated. Catching me by surprise, he threw the ball against the wall of the hut, making it bounce back toward him. His claws turned silver and he slashed the ball, breaking it into three. My heart skipped a beat and jumped into my throat. Terrified, I watched as the three parts to ball fall to the floor in seemingly slow motion.

Examples of reviews/beta-reports: http://dragonsky.forumotion.com/fanf...ginning-t6.htm
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?t=33779
Strengths/weaknesses: I procrastinate sometimes, but I'll do my best to work quickly and efficently.

*Mira (Also a Proofreader) - OPEN
Genre Specialty: I specialize in fantasy, though I will pretty much work on anything.
Preferred Method of Contact: PM
Examples of writing:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...0&postcount=67
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: Third review down by LydiaB:
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic43545.html
Seventh review down by LydiaB
http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic42028.html
Strengths/weaknesses: I sometimes have trouble drilling into the core of the story to critique (especially when it's the first part), though that typically gets better as I am more exposed to the story line. I also tend to be random, which can be either good or bad.

bobandbill (Also a Language/Proofreader Beta Reader - BACK-UP BETA READER) - 'CLOSED' (I contact clients) (approved by Astinus)

Genre specialty: Any, but have mostly have done OT fics. Also do comedy.
Preferred method of contact: PM for initial contact, send documents via e-mail though.
Examples of writing: Check my sig - two banners link to my two stories.
Examples of reviews/beta-reports: All three of these are reviews:
'Their Villainy Must Go On'
'An Everlasting Love'
'Stars' (link to another forum - sppf O_O)
Spoiler:
I consider myself good at finding mistakes in betaing (although admittedly I fail at this for my own works >_<). I tend to go over each line/paragaph one by one after reading, and adding my findings or comments underneath each one, explaining why the mistake is a mistake as well, or simply offering suggestions or commenting. In beta reading, I'm good at focusing on finding grammatical/spelling errors, dialogue, pacing and description. I'm not so good judge on plot and characters, although I feel I know how to offer advice on improving one, or commenting on whether one needs work or not. And I tend to find plotholes.

I'm not quite the quickest Beta Reader at times, but I do try to get my job done within the week for each chapter. I also will comment on anything that comes to mind upon reading the chapter, no matter what aspect. However that also mean I may harp on a bit, or over-analyse things.

Language Beta Readers:
[Mentors who can help with the fine-tuning of language, including things such as description and dialogue.]

Blue Angel (Also a Grammar Beta Reader and Proofreader- see Grammar list for further details) - OPEN

bobandbill (Also a Grammar/Proofreader Beta Reader - see Grammar list for further details - BACK-UP BETA READER) - 'CLOSED' (I contact clients)

ShinjisLover(Also a Grammar Beta Reader - see Grammar list for further details) - OPEN

Proofreaders:
[For the more experienced writers who need a second set of eyes and to offer a second opinion - usually aim to give a general overview of a work, but may focus on aspects the author particularly wants an opinion on or which they specialise in.]

Blue Angel (Also a Grammar Beta Reader and Language Beta Reader- see Grammar list for further details) - OPEN

bobandbill (Also a Grammar/Language Beta Reader - see Grammar list for further details - BACK-UP BETA READER) - OPEN

Mira (Also a Grammar Beta Reader - Check that list for more info) - OPEN

Valentine (Also a Comprehensive Beta Reader - check that list for more info) - CLOSED

CLIENTS NEEDING BETA-READERS:

drunk ¬_¬ - Seeking a Beta Reader

Title of Story: The Prodigy
Fandom: Pokémon
Plot summary: A typical Gary-Stu used to winning all his life finally meets defeat at the “Pro-Test”, and is unable to get his Pokémon trainer’s license. His life takes a bad turn and the once perfect Memo (that's his name) meets treason, drugs, prostitutes, fights, thievery, and becomes deeply entangled with some teams who are looking for monopoly of drug and Pokémon trafficking.
Genre: Dark → OT (non-traditional)
Rating: R for strong references, to drugs, murders and prostitution, as well as (non-graphic) sex and sexuality.
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive Beta Reader (I don’t consider myself a bad writer, but this is my first fanfic, and although it is a bit complicated, and mature, I don’t want to take my chances).
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
This is the beginning of my prologue, as I don’t want to completely give it away yet - “Perfection achieved!” the announcer’s voice rumbled throughout the hall of Jane City’s Municipal Auditorium. The crowd roared in excitement at the sight of the Pokémon battle that had ensued; jumping, clapping, cheering and bellowing, the whole hall started to shake violently, leading many of the younger attendees to start crying. Here and there, fights broke out between the drunken men in attendance, and both cops and guards scrambled to stop these as soon as possible.

The voice of the announcer continued excitedly through the hall’s speakers. “We’ve just witnessed an impressive strategy, relying on perfect calculations, and analysis of a less experienced trainer by Guillermo “The Prodigy” Rebello, who has overpowered and completely destroyed his opponent with an expertly-aimed attack combination to defeat his opponent, and become champion of the Interscholar Pokémon Battling Tournament Open-Level!”

Both the crown and announcer refused to calm down, which made the hall shake ever so violently. Even more children began to cry, and an increasing number of them to get lost, prompting even more ruckus and disorder in the hall.

Other: My first language is Spanish and I rely heavily on Microsoft Word’s spell-check, which I’ve heard isn’t such a good idea. Any kind of advice, or constructive criticism is gladly accepted.
Please PM me if interested.

Mira - Seeking a Beta Reader

Title of Story: The Mind
Fandom: Original Fiction
Plot summary: This is the story of a fifteen-year-old girl named Sylvia who, after having been proven to be a Faerie, is sent to F.W.A. (Faerie Wing Academy) to have her Powers trained. After she receives her wings, she meets a woman who informs her that she is the next Mind Faerie: a Faerie born to be the guardian of the Light Faerie (the king or queen of their world). She learns that the Dark Faeries are on the move and are searching for the next Light Faerie. Sylvia is trained in her newfound Power in order to have the tools needed to protect the new Light Faerie. The only problem is, she doesn't know who it is.
Genre: fantasy and perhaps action (Before you ask, this is not a romance novel. There's no romance until the second book and even then it is not the main component of the story.)
Rating: PG for violence (maybe killing?) and perhaps some cussing, but otherwise G
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive? I don't really know which aspect I want to have it worked on specifically. My story just needs some general help. Any kind of mentor would be welcome.
Writing sample of story: Check here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...2&postcount=53
Other: I don't currently have much of this story, but I'm still writing it. This is book one of The Silver Mark Trilogy.

ShinjisLover - Seeking a Beta Reader

Title of Story: . . . >.> Still thinkin' of one.
Fandom: Pokémon (human adventures)
Plot summary: A young trainer starts out her adventure with a rough, rough start. Her foster father, Kyo (Koga of Fuschia City), is of hardly any help to her. She tries to fight for justice, although cannot see the hypocrisy in her actions, as she treats her Pokémon terribly to aim for one goal: More power with which to destroy Roketto-Dan. And that's just the first two arcs.
Genre: Tragedy, Romance, Action
Rating: Probably R-ish for explicit violence, explicit adult themes, and language.
Type of mentor needed: Comprehensive
Writing samples: Check here.

Pikalover10 - Seeking a Beta Reader

Title of Story: PokeSpecial: Johto Journeys
Fandom: Original Trainer Fanfic.
Plot summary: A story about a young boy named Gold with the ambition to be just like his father. He goes on a journey with a Cyndaquil, just like his father and soon begins to realize something is happening in Johto and it is up to him, Crystal, and Silver. These three go on different journeys, but often run in to eachother.
Genre: Journey, with a hint of Romance and Mystery.
Rating: PG: 13
Type of mentor needed: Grammatical most likely...
Writing sample of story: Check it here (character limit)
Other: I've been writing outside of PC for about 2 to 2 in ahalf years...while writing in PC I have grown in writing quit alot and I am now thinking aout becoming a professional writer when I grow up I think my strengths in writing is description, and I am pretty sure my weakness is grammatical errors...

*Abenti - Seeking a Beta Reader

Title of Story: Pokemon Amber: The Untold Memoir
Fandom: Pokemon
Plot summary: A prequel fic centering around the never seen, never named, only mentioned once in the anime father of Ash Ketchum set about 10 - 12 years before the anime starts. Anthony "Tony" Ketchum, an 18 year old trainer gets disowned after an argument and heads towards the Kanto region to take the journey that he had only planned on doing before. Along the way he gains a traveling companion as well as two other pokemon other than his his first one that he had aquired eight years prior.
Genre: OT, Romance (due to the technicalities that the OT and companion falling in love/getting married by the end of the story).
Rating: On the general whole I attempt to do PG or milder.
Type of mentor needed: Plot, Comprehensive
Writing sample of story: The chapters I have posted up are located at http://pkmn.sailorchristmas.com/stories.php
Other: I've been writing/working on this particular fanfic for a few years, though I have had off and on fanfic writing for a number of years prior in the Sailor Moon fanfic department (though that's a whole different can of worms that I've yet to finish writing on). My greatest weaknesses writing wise would be plotlines (individually per chapter) and general overall follow through... More often than not I find myself not being able to follow through with a story idea once I find that I don't have someone to bounce ideas arround and/or get opinions or thoughts from.

dream's-epilogue - Seeking a Plot Beta-reader (more specifically, one good with 'Concept & Flow') - post AND file here.

Knyaz Vladimir - Seeking a Plot/Grammar Beta-reader - post here.

Mizan Nix Zamnie - Seeking a Language/Grammar Beta-reader post here.

¡Chucho! - Seeking a Plot/Character Beta Reader - post here.

*Giratina of Never-Turn-Back - Seeking a Plot Beta Reader/Proofreader - post here.

*SkyBlue - Seeking a Plot/Character Beta Reader - post here.

Last edited by bobandbill; December 20th, 2009 at 04:13 AM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Applying for a beta position. I hope that I did this correctly. ^_^;

Incidentally, we could edit our profiles in the future, right? As in, if we decide to change categories. Or do we simply PM you for that?

Catergory: Comprehensive (Or I try to be.)
Genre specialty: None in particular. I'd be happy to read and go over anything. However, romance is my weakest genre.
Preferred method of contact: E-mail ( [email protected] ), with your fic saved as a DOC in an attachment.
Examples of writing:

A Midsummer Knight's Dream
Selling Everything
Bloom
My other work can be found here.

If you don't mind external links, a few of my reviews from here and other sources:

Arctic vs. Ash
Breaking Out
Cold Deaths
Pokémon – Stats

(Unfortunately, I try to keep betas private because, frankly, I know how people don't like to show off the original without the writer's consent. However, I will say that the one story that was actually posted after I betaed for it is Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure by icomeanon6.)

I tend to be incredibly critical. While I guarantee you that I will try to be more polite than I am in reviews (*motions above*), I will still be straightforward (as in, without sugarcoating) and point out pretty much everything, especially if I think you haven't taken my advice from a previous chapter/version. In some senses, this is a strength because I'm thorough for your sake. In other senses, I may be caught up in details or repeat myself frequently.

I also tend to procrastinate a lot, and I take at least a week per chapter. And then I get a little ticked if you try to rush me. So, if you want me to beta for you, you'll probably end up realizing how patient you actually are.

On the positive side, I've spent a number of years studying both English lit and language arts. While this seems like I'm bragging, all I'm saying is most of my life right now is focused on studying the inner workings of literature and understanding how various parts of speech function. If given time, I can take apart a story (analyzing plot elements, characterization, and the little details) and its language (perspective, how language is used – even what certain words imply) to tell you whether or not it works. Not only that, but I have a fondness for applying research to writing, so I'd be able to tell you if your smaller details are logical as well. In other words, I just have training in this kind of thing, and I'd like to think I do a decent job applying what I've learned in the classroom to reviewing.
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old July 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Sydian
But you're still hungry.

Nature: Timid
I'm hoping I did this right. Heh.

Catergory: Character and Plot
Genre specialty: Romance
Preferred method of contact: Private Messages
Examples of writing:

Just A Brother
Face Down
e1337

It's not too often that I get to read something in my preferred genre, but review-wise:

Lucas's Father
The lost island
The Tayla Journies Volume 1

I tend to be a bit harsh on OT fics, but of course, I didn't apply for that(I really have no problem reading them, either). I'm still a little harsh in general, but it's mainly to get my point across so I won't have to repeat myself. Also, time is going to be limited for this upcoming week with bandcamp starting, not to mention school in about three weeks. But even still, I tend to squeeze in my precious computer time, and it will get easier when I have a laptop handy. I'm also horrible with sci-fi-ish fics...or 'end of the world' fics. Stuff like that. I'm normally quite the procrastinator, but for the sake of helping an author, I'm willing to put it at the top of my to-do list.

In writing a good number of romances, I know how they're supposed to flow. And then there's always what I see/am a part of in real life. Real inspiration is always helpful knowledge to have, whether you're writing on your own or helping someone else. Oh, I'm also going into my second year of CP English. Though I still have no clue what a predicate nominative is, I've pretty much got everything else.

Spoiler:
It feels like I'm applying for a real life job. Wow.

-Silver

paired to crono

Last edited by Sydian; July 27th, 2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old July 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
iLike2EatPiez
i want the puppy

Nature: Relaxed
I'll be a beta-reader... If this application's okay.

Catergory: Plot/Character mainly.
Genre specialty: OT Fics and fics with Pokemon as the main characters are probably my specialties, but I can give pretty much anything a go.
Preferred method of contact: PM, definately.
Examples of writing:

Team Relic's Story
Team Yukon's Story
Oneshot(FFC)-Abandoning the Dark

Review of Supah Funk's Absol Tales.
Review of iRawr-x's The Legend of Manaphy.
Review of Fire Eagle's The Tale of Fire Eagle.

I tend to ignore grammar problems in my reviews, leaving those for others to point out and focusing strongly on the plot's issues. As such, I'm really not that skilled when it comes to going over grammar, but I consider one of my strengths to be presenting problems like believability, plot holes, emotion, and description in a clear way.

When it comes to reviewing, I'm serious about constructive critisism. If the writer has trouble accepting critisism, I push to get them to understand why it is important. But, of course, if you're looking for a beta reader you probably won't have that problem.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
Incidentally, we could edit our profiles in the future, right? As in, if we decide to change categories. Or do we simply PM you for that?
Yes, editing is not a problem. It's better that you tell me though, as I'll have to update it in the first post then. Yes, all your details are being added there, so you can see everyone that you can chose from on one page in one post. You can PM me or post here if your beta profile needs changing, such as what type of beta reader you are or if you don't want to take any more for the time being.

Anyway, you all passed. Applications were how they should be, (and your answers for the strengths/weaknesses part will be quite helpful for those wanting to choose between two or more beta readers so they can see who is beta suited for them).
And if one does make a mistake with the applications I'll just tell them if something important is missing, no worries. I've added all your details to the first post.

External links are perfectly fine as well for the stories and reviews/betas.

SS, you may want some better examples for your reviews, but I know you know what to do and all. Just that the 'clients' may be more impressed by impressive reviews.
Quote:
It feels like I'm applying for a real life job. Wow.
Beta reading - it's more than a job.
Keep them coming people!

Old August 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Blue Angel
Living for now

Hi, I am applying for a Beta Reader position.

Catergory: Language, Grammar, Proofreading (mainly the last two)
Genre specialty: Any, I am pretty flexible. But I am best with romance, comedy, fantasy, and journey fics (or at least deeply interested in tackling Fantasy)
Preferred method of contact: PM's
Examples of writing: Still in production of "Tear of Life". If you want to read the unrevised/original version just ask me to PM it to you; Same if you want to read a sample of my romance writing
The first one is me on an "angry" day :p -
Spoiler:

I used to write poetry; some of my descriptions utalize that - which is fitting for Romance especially - Feel free to tell me if I go overboard there

Triplets with IceDragon2439 and Buoysel

Last edited by Blue Angel; August 9th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old August 11th, 2008, 01:34 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Yep, Blue Angel, you are in. I might have to make it clearer that we don't care so much if you haven't actually written anything as long as yu can show you know how to review/beta, although if you do have some work we'd like to see it.

Well, we have four beta readers covering all types now. Get to it, you Beta-reader-needers, for lack of a better word! If you know who you want you can simply make contact with a beta reader here, or if you are not sure fill out the application and post it away.

Old August 27th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Ascaris
boogey

Nature: Quirky
Er.. most of my reviews... actually all of them are in Serebii. So can I provide a link to them as an example?
Old August 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Yes, of course. Links for reviews can be from anywhere.

Old August 30th, 2008, 11:17 PM
Buoysel
Community Supporter

I would like to be added to this list please.

Category: Grammar

Genre specialty: Any, all though OT Fictionals are not my favorite.

Preferred method of contact:
PM

Examples of writing:
This Is Home, currently in production, but am "taking a break" aka Writer's Block.

Examples of reviews/beta-reports
:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=147648

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...3&postcount=22

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...8&postcount=12

Strengths
Plot / Originality / Grammar

weaknesses (optional):
Spelling
Something something ponies!

Last edited by Buoysel; August 31st, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old August 31st, 2008, 03:28 AM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Buoysel, I've added you as a Grammer Beta Reader, but not the other two you requested - leastway, not yet. The link you gave for the reviews section had a few of your reviews and although they show you know how to find errors, I couldn't see anything relating to Plot, or anything else really to grant you a 'Comprehensive', which is basically for those who feel they can do so, and can beta (or review) on all aspects. Although I've only quickly glanced at your fic, it's more the reviews/beta reports that's being checked.

So I'm not adding you to those ATM, but if you were to PM me some other reviews and I see you can do the aforementioned on top of picking out mistakes, then I'll add you if I see fit.

EDIT: Added you to Plot as well after the other reviews + story.

Last edited by bobandbill; August 31st, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:06 PM
SailorShadow
Soldier of Shadows

Nature: Naive
Send a message via AIM to SailorShadow Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SailorShadow
I hope I'm doing this right...

Title of Story: PokeSenshi
Fandom: Pokemon and Sailor Moon

Plot summary: Kate is a not-so-ordinary girl who finds out she is a Sailor Senshi. Now she has to find others like her, defeat Team Rocket, stop the destruction of the world, and hope the guy she loves won't leave her to face this alone.
Genre: Romance with some comedy.
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG, maybe a tiny bit PG-13
Type of mentor needed: Character or plot.
Writing sample of story: Close to Japan, there is a large island called Kyoso inhabited by Pokemon. There were no humans on this island until Team Rocket took over the island. The leader of Team Rocket was known to most as The Mistress. Team Rocket controlled everything: food stores, hospitals, etc. One day, they were doing tests on Eevees to see if they could make an Eevee be able to switch between all of its evolutions. They tried with two Eevee, but one could evolve into the Kanto and Sinnoh evolutions, the other into the Johto evolutions. Team Rocket was going to destroy them, but The Mistress decided to give them to her eldest son, Anthony, who was five at the time. The one that evolved into the Johto evolutions was in a pokeball with an A on it. The other was in a pokeball with a K on it. The special thing about the Kanto/Sinnoh Eevee was that it was a shiny Eevee, which meant each evolution would be the more valuable shiny form. Anthony was thrilled with the Eevees. He named the boy that evolved into Johto eeveelutions Andy.
The Mistress decided to take Anthony to the hospital with her to make sure everything was running smoothly. She let him go wherever he wanted. Anthony went up to the second floor. Just as he passed Room 201, he heard someone sniffling. Curious, he peeked in. It was Kate, a girl about his age.
Here's what had happened to Kate. Kate could read minds and could use aerokinesis. When she was three, her mother left her. Recently, she and her father were in a horrible accident, placing both in the hospital. Kate had overheard the nurses saying he wouldn't make it. That's why she was crying.
Anthony also had telepathy. He thought, Why are you crying? Kate answered, My father is going to die. Anthony walked into the room. What's your name? he thought. Kate, she replied, and yours? I'm Anthony, he said. He went up to her, hugged her, and let her cry. Then he stepped back.
"This is for you, Kate," Anthony said, taking out pokeball holding the Eevee that evolved into the Kanto/Sinnoh eeveelutions. Kate smiled. She grabbed a rose from a vase next to her. It had a little white band under the flower.
"And this is for you, Anthony," Kate replied, handing him the flower. "To remember me by." Anthony left a little while later, after they had talked and agreed to be friends no matter what, even if they never saw each other again.
Other: Nothing.
[/CENTER]

~Aqua059, my PC twin, made my avatar and signature!~

~Please click here to interact with my Pokemon!~
Old September 8th, 2008, 11:12 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Ok then, adding you to the list as seeking a Beta Reader.. First person wanting a Beta Reader making themselves known via here (although I know there've been others who haven't posted here...). You did it right, there (although next time keep bolding tot he options only, but minor and doesn't matter anyways). Remember to PM me when you've found a Beta Reader so I can update your status.

Old October 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
The Bringer!
oh pokemon, you're so pokemon

I think I'm posting this correctly...

Title of story: Down the Beaten Path

Fandom: Pokemon (weren't expecting that, were you?)

Plot summary: After being left behind when all his friends were able to go to Pallet to recieve a pokemon from Professor Oak, Shane can now finally start his delayed pokemon journey. However, he soon finds out that not all things go as planned.

Genre: OT, with some adventure aspects.

Rating: PG, I assume.

Type of rater needed: Probably plot or character.

Writing sample:
Spoiler:

A man with a dark brown coat and matching hat was standing in front of a fourteen year old boy. He towered over the small number of spectators, his eyes blazing in fury. This man was holding a small device in his left hand, while his right was in a tight fist. No one could see it, but his yellow fingernails where slowly digging themselves into the palm of his clenched hand. They were bleeding. The oozing red liquid dripped to the ground, slowly forming a miniscule pool underneath his hand. It hurt. The brown clad man didn’t care. He only wanted one thing, and that was revenge. His mind was working surprisingly quickly for one who was slightly intoxicated.

“Now yer gonna get it, I was gonna use that there TM on,” here he paused. Not for dramatic effect, but it had worked to do that anyway. “this!” With that the spherical device that had moments ago been in his left hand was now flying strait for the younger boy’s skull. The small group of people who weren’t clamoring for prizes within the nearby building gave a small gasp. Luckily for the fourteen year old, he was able to duck in time to avoid the pokeball. However, he heard a noise from behind him that meant that this wasn’t over yet. Shane quickly turned around to see what his advisory would be. A large reptilian face was only inches away from his. The boy stared in horror at the pokemon. Although reptilian in appearance, if one got close enough, they could tell that it was covered in a chitinous armor, more akin to an insect. Not many got this chance and lived. The frightening pokemon’s eyes were completely black, possessing no pupils what so ever. Their lack of emotion was even more unnerving than any glare could be.

“Kikikikik, kak!” the scyther clacked its mandibles together, a sticky green substance the same shade as its skin slowly oozing from its mouth. Steam rose from the liquid the moment it hit the ground. After only a mere second; Shane was on the ground with a sharp cut in his arm, while the insect like monster was standing above him, its wings spread wide to add to its menacing appearance. Shane was scared. The scyther didn’t need an order from its new master. It needed to inflict pain. “Kliklikikikak!” it howled in rage. Its primal instinct was coursing through it. The scyther did not feel, did not think, it just slashed. Soon, it would be pleased. Its prey would be dead. Shane cringed as the winged beast slashed down toward his throat. He hadn’t wanted this to happen; he hadn’t even known that the object he had found was a TM. Shane was dead. Yet, he heard talking, and his arm still hurt.

Other: This is my first fic, and I know it's no where near perfect. I would like to get better at this type of thing, and think having a beta-reader would help.
Old October 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Yep, you did it right. Added you to the list.

Old October 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
SailorShadow
Soldier of Shadows

Nature: Naive
Send a message via AIM to SailorShadow Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SailorShadow
I'd like to replace the other story I have up there with this story, if that's okay.

Title of Story: Discovery of the Island
Fandom: Pokemon with some Digimon
Plot summary: Kate's father works with a renowned professor in Tokyo. The two of them have come up with a new invention: a portal to another world. Kate accidentally stumbles into the portal while playing Pokemon Platinum. She wakes up to find herself on an island inhabited by Pokemon. Kate finds her way out, but keeps going back to the Island, as something seems to draw her there.
Genre: Humor (little romance as well)
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG
Type of mentor needed: Character and Plot
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
Kate stumbled down the stairs to the lab, playing her Platinum game as she walked.
"Is it done yet?" she called, almost tripping into the room.
"Almost," Professor Kimiko replied, bent over his workstation. Professor Petsuia Kimiko was a scientist that worked with Professor Souichi Tomoe, a famous scientist, ever since the battle with Galaxia. They had been working on a large project: make a working portal to another dimension. It was almost finished. All that was left was to put one small orb, and it would be complete.
Kate went over to the stairs to watch, still playing her game.
The professor placed the orb in the holder, and the machine groaned to life. It sparkled in a rainbow of colors, the dazzling lights from the portal frame bouncing off the walls. Petsuia stared in amazement at the machine, grin growing wider. But would it work? Before he could test it, he heard a pinging noise from his pocket. Petsuia took out his phone and saw that it was a text from his wife, Sarah. Sarah had met Petsuia when he was in America, and they fell in love. She was a painter. Apparently, he was needed in a meeting. Sighing, he left, not even noticing his fourteen-year-old daughter on the steps.
Kate saved the game quickly, and walked into the room. She saw the glowing machine and gasped.
"Ooh, pretty lights..." she gaped, moving closer to the portal. She moved forward as if something were drawing her toward the machine. Kate didn't even notice how close she got to the entrance until she had already stepped in.
Suddenly, the world around her started spinning. Kate saw random colors flitting around her before the world went black...

Other: I just started this story, and it is the first in a trilogy.
[/CENTER]

~Aqua059, my PC twin, made my avatar and signature!~

~Please click here to interact with my Pokemon!~
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Ytinrete
Inactive

Nature: Calm
Is it okay to do this for an already posted story? I just wanted to see if I should fix anything before posting the next part. Sorry if this isn't okay.

Title of Story: Paradox
Plot summary: A scientist plans to trap Celebi, and when his plan succeeds, Celebi sends him to the future to see what he caused by trapping Celebi.
Genre: Thriller with touches of comedy and horror.
Rating: Pg-13
Type of mentor needed: Character
Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:

"Time, an irreversible, unstoppable thing. We may try, but only one being can traverse time. We know this being as Celebi, the time traveling pokemon. Not much is known about this pokemon, being as it goes through time as it pleases. This green wonder has caused many to attempt to catch it, but none have. Now though, we may have found a way. By studying points in which it has been seen, we plan to plant invisible, electric fields around these areas, in an attempt to catch it and harness its ability to travel throug time. If we could control a pokemon like this, we could also traverse time, solving many questions man has had about his past. With this ability, we could find out how we end, and try to prevent it. This could be our biggest breakthrough in the history of man."

At the end of his speech, Guy stepped down off of the podium while applause rang in his ears. By the time he sat down at his table the clapping had stopped and the next speaker was up and talking. He didn't pay much attention, only catching a few words. He studied the room around him. He was in an elegant ballroom, rented out especially for this meeting. This meeting was one where scientists all over the world present either a new discovery they made, or a new theory they came up with.

Other: I've been writing for close to a year now, and this is my forst story to ever go public.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:27 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Ok then, replaced that story, SailorShadow, as you asked. And added you too, Eternity. It's prefectly fine if it's a current story as well, BTW (but shall add that info in anyway, under 'Other' for the heck of it).

Old October 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Merata
Beginning Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Merata
Title of Story: The road to revenge
Plot summary: Shane set's out to become a powerful pokemon trainer, to be able to get vengance.
Genre: Action
Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13
Type of mentor needed: non specific, but grammar is a must (english isn't my mother language so I may make certain dumb mistakes, though I always try to make not that much mistakes.)
Writing sample of story:
Quote:
Are you going to call your last pokemon into battle or not,” an old woman, standing to the opposite of Shane, said.

This sentence brought him back to the moment, he opened his eyes and picked a regular pokeball from his belt. Now it's up to you, he thought. He raised his head, words racing through his mind like mad man, become stronger, I will dad, I will avenge my mother's death.

It's all up to you now girl, go get them Athena!” Shane shouted full of confidence.

He threw the pokeball up in the air, to let the pokemon out. In mid-air it opened, and white energy shot out. The light took shape, and vanished, revealing the pokemon. In front of Shane stood a big, strong, and proud female Arcanine.
Other: Though I really love writing, this is my second only pokemon fan fiction. I have only the prologue written atm, it's about 5 pages long, and about 2500 words in total.
My fanfic: ~{The road to revenge}~
My review(s): the chossen from fate

~Userbar done by Jeydis~

Old October 19th, 2008, 09:58 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Added. Remember to contact me (visitor messages or PMs work fine) when you have a Beta Reader.

EDIT: Merata has apparently already found a Beta reader - found out just now. And also - please keep communications with Beta Readers/clients out of the thread, but via PM/visitor messages/e-mail/other means, as they don't belong here. Don't want it to get cluttered, and part of the rules as well.

Last edited by bobandbill; October 20th, 2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:51 PM
solovino
RAWR~❤

Nature: Timid
O'kay, time to apply for a Beta Reader. After I published the first entry of my fic, I asked for reviews so that I could know what to ask for here, and now that the first reviews came, it's time to take this one step further. Let's see if I can fill the form right:

Title of Story: Elusive Goals

Plot summary: An experienced trainer gets an offer to join Team Rocket, but as a trial he is assigned the "menial" task of defeating another trainer who just happens to be a long lost, old friend of his.

Genre: Original Trainer (yes I know everyone hates that), told from mid-ways, and with some suspense and thriller elements.

Rating (PG, R, etc): PG-13, if I'm not mistaken (because of violence)

Type of mentor needed: Grammar and Language mostly; anything else is also welcome.

Writing sample of story:
Spoiler:
"Croconaw! Look out---!"

Darius' scream was interrupted as the flaming projectile hit his Pokémon full-force, instantly exploding into streams of fire and debris, taking a star-shaped appearance. Despite being about 20 meters away, Darius was literally knocked back by the resulting shockwave, losing his breath as he landed on his back. But he was still very conscious and very aware of how dangerous the situation had become.

Taking a deep breath he tried to stand up, managing to raise to his feet at the second try. His sight instantly locked on the debris and the smoke of the explosion, but Croconaw was no longer there; instead Darius' eyes wandered about forty meters to the left, and he could distinguish the alligator-like Pokémon, shaking and barely standing, with its arms completely burned, the left one apparently broken and bleeding profusely. Despite being a Water-type Pokémon, Croconaw had sustained critical, perhaps lethal damage from the blast.

Then Darius' eyes turned the opposite direction, to the end of the racetrack, where his Rapidash was still leaping frenzily, whining in pain and swirling furiously while trying to get rid of the metal belts strapped to her torso. She had lost all control: her flames were growing so strong that the soil around her was smoking and scorching upon every touch of her hooves.

"Rapidash! Please, calm down...!" he yelled, not realising he was now walking towards her. "Love, please, you have to calm--!"

Darius could not stand watching her in such a great pain, yet that very sight had completely removed his ability to think: his mind and his heart had stopped working. He could hear a human voice behind him, but he could not interpret the words, nor their sense of urgency. He could only watch as Rapidash swirled around in mid-air and landed directly facing him, her eyes filled with what a human heart could only read as rage. Even Darius' instinct of survival seemed to be locked now, as his eyes fixated on Rapidash's mouth, slowly opening as she readied herself to fire another blast. Darius' eyes were empty of tears: with the heat of her flames and the rush of the moment, they would not have a chance to form.

Other:
Although I have been writing for some time, as I've written something for FF.net, I still have to fight some important deficiencies.

The most important one is that I lack at colloquial usage of the language, idioms and modisms, having only a background on technical writing. Because of that my writing may seem to be too flamboyant or too "ornamented" with words, instead of using simpler words to express what I mean (thanks Xanthine for the tipping). Yes, English is not my mother language. That's why language tutoring is a must for me.

I've already done my plot and character development, and I'm confident these are OK (I've worked them all over again), but of course I'm open to suggestions in those areas. Also I'm quite open to anything that helps me portray battles more realistically, because I'll have to write a lot of them.

So here I stand... ready to learn
Solovino / Venia Silente's Activity
Works
Fics
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
Old October 26th, 2008, 09:53 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Added you to the list. Yay for moar people.

(And quite detailed in the 'Other' section as well, which should be helpful getting across what help you need).

EDIT: And already a Beta Reader found for solovino. (And if you find a beta reader, please tell me so I can update the list).

Last edited by bobandbill; October 27th, 2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Need a beta this time. My old one got caught up in real life. ^_^;

Title of Story: Anima Ex Machina
Plot summary: When a meteor crash-lands in Hoenn, it unleashes onto the planet a species of parasitic pokémon that threatens all life on Earth. Meanwhile, a young pokémon researcher recruited to study the parasite finds himself involved in a lab accident that leaves him transformed and in the middle of the struggle between the alien invaders and several human organizations with their own agendas. Without any choice in the matter, he's forced to fight for the future of the planet, but is he the key to humankind's survival or a pawn for its destruction?
Genre: Science-fiction, dark fic
Rating (PG, R, etc): R (Blood, violence, torture, general disturbing images.)
Type of mentor needed: Proofreader or comprehensive
Writing sample of story: Current progress is here. Excerpt is the entirety of the prologue.

Spoiler:
Twilight broke into night over Hoenn in waves: blue swallowed by red, red swallowed by black. One by one, taillow retreated to the trees for sleep, giving way to zubat fluttering across the black sky in search of prey. Cities gained white haloes of electric light as the human race fought the darkness of night. Far above, ignorant of mankind's attempt to preserve the daylight, the celestial forest of stars and planets and other points of white flickered to life.

One of them moved.

Dubbed MC-198 by the scientific community, the meteor sported the size and approximate mass of a school bus. That, along with the fact that it streaked down a path that crossed neatly with Earth, had kept astronomers' eyes on it for several months prior to its destined approach. For the past twenty-four hours, the city closest to the estimated point of impact, Fortree City, remained completely deserted save for the area's wild pokémon. Despite their curiosity and puzzlement over the long train of humans traveling in masses towards neighboring cities and the nagging sense that something was about to happen, few of them fled the area, particularly with the lack of anywhere else to go. For that reason, as day faded away into night, the wild pokémon could do nothing but stare skyward at the glowing streak that loomed closer.

Standing atop a hill, within a circle of rocks countless years old, was an absol whose red eyes were fixed on the falling star. He shifted on his paws as the cold but familiar feeling of dread sank into his bones. The minutes ticked closer to the blackest part of the night, but he could do nothing during that time but watch. There was no one to warn, not because the place was deserted but instead because of something else he could sense – a feeling of inevitability.

The meteor punched through the atmosphere and immediately burst into a brilliant ball of red and white. Absol's claws scraped against the dirt of the hill as he burst into a run down its face. To his side, the meteor fell rapidly, descending hundreds of feet in seconds towards the soft earth. Several linoone lifted their heads skyward as the absol passed by in his frantic search for safety.

He barely reached the edge of the lake some distance from the base of the hill when the meteor landed. The ground beneath his paws shook violently as a cloud of red dust spewed towards the heavens and quickly engulfed the area. Waves from the lake swallowed the sandy shores and flooded the Scorched Slab. In the distance, a great crack and subsequent crash signaled the literal fall of Fortree City, shaken free from its lofty perch in the trees of the forest. Unable to ground himself, the absol flew through the air and landed awkwardly on a paw. His mouth opened to release a great cry, but it was drowned by the rumbling and screams of both the trembling land and the dying pokémon further north.

Absol lay on the earth for what felt like hours as his ruby eyes watched the red cloud above him fade to allow the blood-red moon to shine through. Eventually, he tried to move, but his body ached. One of his paws was definitely injured – the back one that was already beginning to swell. He whimpered as he limped north, back towards the remains of his home.

Several yards away, a hole stood in his path, mostly concealed by the cloud of red dust. Gingerly, he limped on his twisted paw for what felt like an immense distance towards the lip of the crater. His throat whined, not because of the pain shooting up his leg but instead because of the familiar, cold feeling that seeped into his bones. When he finally ambled to the rocky edge of the crater, he cautiously looked downward, towards the rock at the exact center of the pit as the dust began to clear enough for its silhouette to appear. In the darkness, it lacked any sort of detail except for a crack lacing up the side of its worn exterior. Beyond the crack, a red glow emanated from the meteor's hollow interior, a glow that spilled onto the earth around its source.

It took a moment for the absol to realize that the glow moved. Instantly, his eyes widened, and he turned to stumble away towards the hill. With unseen eyes, the wave of red pouring from the meteor detected the absol's movement and rushed up the side of the crater. The white dog remained unaware that he was being pursued. All his attention went into running, but his injured ankle protested with each step. Eventually, it bent underneath him and sent him head-long into the dirt only a short distance from the crater. A sharp whine tore from his throat as he struggled to stand, but his pursuers were already upon him and washed against his hind legs in a wave of red. Small mouths tore his flesh in tiny bites until his skin was completely ripped off by a coat of red parasites. The dog wanted to scream, but all he could do was feel his legs give out, his body collapsing into the carpet of red that quickly overwhelmed him. He tried to open his muzzle to release a howl, but as soon as he did, the parasites took the opportunity to enter his body and consume him from the inside out. Unable to find a piece of the absol left to devour, parts of the entity pulled away from the dying canine to lunge towards the grass to the south of the crater. Slowly but surely, the entity slaughtered sleeping zigzagoon, kecleon, oddish – anything it came into contact with until it carved a path towards Mt. Pyre. The other entity, having picked the bones of the absol clean, moved northward across the crater and towards the fallen Fortree.

When the inhabitants of Fortree gradually returned throughout the course of the week, their only warning would be the blood-drained corpses of pokémon outside their matchstick city.

Other: I've been writing fanfiction for years, so I've tried my hardest to polish up the story before I submit it. However, I'm working with a lot of canon characters that I'm not used to using (particularly in the early chapters), so I'm a bit uncertain as to whether or not they're spot-on (or worse, if it sounds like I'm trying to hard and failing to get their characters right). Likewise, I have problems with phrasing and redundancy now and then, none of which I catch on my own. So, it'd be great if someone could look over my work and tell me if everything looks good.

Also, yes, I like for my betas to be as thorough as they'd like. Shred my story if you have to. I'm very excited to be working with this kind of idea, so I may get too ahead of myself and fail to explain myself clearly. Stopping me and pointing out every problem -- logic, phrasing, what have you -- you have with a scene (in order to go, "Wait. That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.") will only help me.

Additionally, concerning the position itself: If you sign up for this position, you've got to be thorough and active. Active especially because I'm currently working on chapter six, and my former beta got caught up with all kinds of real-life problems before he could finish chapter two. (As in, please don't take more than two weeks on one chapter. I know this sounds really picky, but I'm probably going to go fast until I decide to pay attention to my other projects. Don't worry; I'll always proofread before sending it to you to make your job easy.) Yes, you will have to go back and read the first two installments in order to avoid getting lost. (Sorry about that.) A taste for the genre is preferred but not required. My last beta was not a sci-fi fan, but this is going to be a long ride. Ergo, you'll want to be perfectly okay with sci-fi and, for that matter, violence. The excerpt should give you an idea of what level of violence we're talking about here.
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:57 PM
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...

Ok then, added.

Remember - if you've found a beta reader, or you are one and took a client/want to be 'closed' for the time being - tell me so I can update your info and all.

Old November 9th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Neiko Star
Dancing rain

Nature: Impish
I wouldn't mind being a beta reader.

Category: Proofreader or Grammar. (Either one is okay.)

Genre Specialty: Anything except romance. O.o

Preferred Method of Contact: PM

Examples of Writings: Johto Adventure(which nobody will comment to -__-), Angel Quest, Demons: Hidden Fire. (All stuck with writer's block. >.>)

Examples of Reviews: Sadly, haven't got any.

Strengths: Spelling & Grammar.

Sorry about the no reviews thing, I just haven't got any.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here