Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Current Generation Pokémon Gaming > Pokémon Strategies and Movesets > Pokémon Strategies & Movesets (archive)
Reload this Page freshmeat in UU

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

Pokémon Strategies & Movesets (archive) Post your team lineups, get your team rated or rate other teams, talk about lineups, talk about moves/movesets, strategies, etc. For general talk about the games, go to the respective Pokémon game forums. (Requires moderator validation before new threads are displayed)

Old November 1st, 2008 (01:09 PM). Edited November 9th, 2008 by MM_Zero.
Resurrected warrior

Send a message via AIM to MM_Zero
Its my first attempt, ever, in UU. So I don't really know how it works. So I'ma post my team so I can learn a little how the metagame works. Because of that, I somewhat stole the EVs of smogon's analysis =/.

Claydol @ Light Clay
Careful / Levitate
252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Sp. Def
Reflect
Light Screen
Stealth Rock
Explosion

This Claydol sets the stage for my offensive team to sweep. It sets up important things, which patch up my team's rather frail pokemon, and when I don't really need it, it goes BOOM.

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
Quiet / Solid Rock
252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk
Explosion
Overheat
Earth Power
HP Grass

Looks like a watered down Heatran. Still, Overheat does massive amount of damage with Choice Specs. Earth Power is for when I don't want to use heat, HP Grass is for bulky waters like quagsire and gastrodon, and Explosion is for when I know it will die.

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Timid / Static
6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Thunderbolt
HP Ice
Grass Knot/surf
Substitute

Pikachu is the Deoxys-A in UU. This thing is a beast, and even more deadly with a substitute. Thunderbolt is for obvious STAB, grass knot and HP Ice is for coverage. With some nice prediction, substitute pushes even the best battlers to their limits to beat. I guess what's holding this thing back is its rather average speed, but unlike Deoxys-A in ubers, it can take one mild attack in UU.

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Jolly / Limber
252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Close Combat
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Mach Punch

Another gun in my team. Not many things like to deal with Hitmonlee. Close Combat is typical STAB, Mach Punch to finish things off, and everything else is for coverage.

Sharpedo @ Choice Scarf
Mild / Rough Skin
100 Atk, 232 Sp. Atk, 176 speed
Crunch
Earthquake
Surf
Ice Beam

A great revenge killer. STABed Crunch hurts and the EVs patch up sharpedo's lower but still decent special attack.

Quagsire @ Chesto Berry
Impish / Water Absorb
252 HP, 64 Atk, 192 Sp. Def
Rest
Ice Punch
Earthquake
Curse

Quagsire is FTW. He is hilarious, and is a great pokemon. He has many options, so he's quite unpredictable.

Yeah so thats my team. I don't really know anything at all about UU so I'd like as much criticism as possible (constructive criticism.) I wanted an offensive team, but my team is rather frail. Well from what I know, I guess thats why they are called UU pokes- they all are generally flawed bulky pokes, average-mediocre all around stats, or extremely frail sweepers, or a mixture of all

Zero is awesome .
Old November 1st, 2008 (01:46 PM).
Competitive Double Battler

Wow! Good team! It's nice and balanced, however, the only thing is, I would replace Bastiodon. It's type-combination makes it a huge target. I'd replace for maybe for Gastrodon, which is a perfect Pokemon to wall your opponent with.

| Pearl FC: 4640-1266-8788 | c2v2 Battler | My Youtube Battles |
Old November 1st, 2008 (02:29 PM).
I'm Back.

Nature: Quirky
Can't stop for a full rate, but surfing pikachu has to be hardy due to this being the only type PBR exports. Since neutral natures fail I would just run the standard Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Grass KNot/Sub.
Old November 1st, 2008 (03:14 PM).
Resurrected warrior

Not true, the 20th anniversary nintendo power event on sept. 13 2008 no longer limits the nature for surfing pikachus. You're allowed to use timid surfing pikachus on shoddy also.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 1st, 2008 (04:45 PM). Edited November 1st, 2008 by Samson.
no, i don't know milk drink

Send a message via AIM to Samson Send a message via Yahoo to Samson
if you're going to have a subattacking pikachu, you may as well make it mixed subpunch. it gets walled in multiple occasions with special attacks being its only option. tbolt + hp ice + focus punch has good enough coverage for UU. so yeah, i would ignore surf altogether and make it a hasty/mild pika with a bit of atk evs in there.

give one of your sweepers (preferrable sharpedo) choice scarf. adding life orb to already fragile pokemon who are outspeeded by common threats is a bad idea. instead of putting all that speed and that nature on sharpedo, you can give it a +atk nature with more evs in the offenses.

also, bastiodon sucks no matter what you try. drop it for something that can either set trick room or that can cover for your bad Primeape weakness. shuckle is something to consider. you can also try something like curse/cb muk.

[FONT="Calibri"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="gray"]FC: 3497 0883 2077
[/URL]
Old November 1st, 2008 (04:46 PM).

I'd go with Grass Knot > HP Ice on that SubPunch set, but yeah, go with Samson's suggestion.
Old November 1st, 2008 (04:54 PM).
all about how to pokemoning

Yeah, Grass Knot or Gastrodon walls you. I'd drop Bastiodon for something bulkier, maybe Gastrodon or Muk.
Old November 1st, 2008 (06:12 PM).
I'm back. I think.

Nature: Calm
I would go with Gastrodon, seeing as you have a pretty bad Rain Dance weak, especially Gorebyss and Kabutops, who both outspeed Pedo in the rain, and can kill of Lee(Tops can't siwtch in though). Gastrodon or Quaggy IMO. I prefer Quagy just because it has Water Absorb.

Check out my food blog if you're not busy.

Old November 1st, 2008 (06:51 PM).
Resurrected warrior

Made some changes to my team, took out Bastiodon for Quagsire and took out Life Orb on Sharpedo for scarf. Its working good, but I can't seem to put focus punch on Pikachu. His attack is just too low to make use out of it.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 1st, 2008 (07:09 PM).
I'm back. I think.

I don't rlly like that Quagsire set you chose. Chesto Berry only works once, and Quaggy is going to have to absorb status more than that without getting killed or allowing a set-up. I would consider making Quaggy RestTalk, seeing as you lack a status absorber. Water Absorb needs to be hte ability, so it can draw in water attacks and get moar recovery.

Old November 1st, 2008 (07:21 PM).
Resurrected warrior

Yeah it was a typo, it was already water absorb, but I left in bastiodon's ability by mistake. What move should I take out for sleep talk? Only earthquake is a bit low on coverage and is easily walled by many things, wereas ice punch is a rather weak move with only a couple curses without STAB. If I take out curse, quagsire may absorb status, but it really cant do anything in return.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 1st, 2008 (09:24 PM).
Scyther >> You

Light Ball doubles Pika's attack as well in DPPt

Slicer the level 46 Scyther!
Old November 2nd, 2008 (12:29 AM).
Motorsport Trainer

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sebastien Loeb
Claydol and Sharpedo is not UU (for me).
You are a lot of weak to Heracross (Camerupt cannot hold up 2 Close Combat), also Lucario can bother you.
Old November 2nd, 2008 (12:35 AM).
Scyther >> You

I'm sorry, but you can't say a UU team is weak to OU threats, thats kinda a given, that's like saying an OU offensive team is walled by Deoxys-D and Giratina.

No real threats, just be careful of Ninetales and Scyther, they can do quite a number to this team, although that isn't really that different to any other UU team really

Slicer the level 46 Scyther!
Old November 2nd, 2008 (03:48 AM).
Dream Evil.
Gold Tier

Nature: Impish
Id watch out for swellow. You could use something rock or steel >> sharpedo or pika to take it.

Yeah make quaggy rest talk..

SD Groudon, specs dialga weak and specs palkia weak lol=x
Since the beginning of time, man has sought to know the unimaginable. To shake hands with the intangible. To measure the abstract with concrete gauges, to fit the mind of the infinite within the imagination of the finite. Nevermore.

Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:01 AM).
All-Mighty Idiot

Add NP/Flamethrower/Grass Knot/Dragon Pulse Typhlosion to those weaks as well lol

ChestoRest sucks and always will suck. Lose it.

Not much here bad except lack of a Fighting resist. I mean, what is Claydol going to do to stop Hitmonlee and co? BOOM!

Also Surf over Hydro Pump, Sharpaedo literally can't afford to miss.

Sigging Seb's post.

Quote originally posted by Sebastien Loeb rating a UU Team:
Claydol and Sharpedo is not UU (for me). You are a lot of weak to Heracross (Camerupt cannot hold up 2 Close Combat), also Lucario can bother you.
Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:21 PM).
Resurrected warrior

Well I heard about light ball also increasing pikachu's attack but it did nothing to it on the team builder on shoddy so I dunno about that.

I want to make quaggy rest talk but I need a suggestion on what move to take out for it.

I switched out hydro pump for surf.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:23 PM).

I still highly reccomend Grass Knot > HP Ice, since bulky waters like Quagsire wall the hell out of you. Lanturn does as well, as does Gastrodon and such.
Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:28 PM).
Banned

Oh please, why on Earth would you put Surf on Pikachu? (And, um... the only Surf Pikachus are Hardy Nature anyway). Keep HP Ice, go Grass Knot > Surf.

And Pikachu isn't even comparable to Deoxys-A. :/
Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:31 PM).

Quote originally posted by Glitter Stain:
Oh please, why on Earth would you put Surf on Pikachu? (And, um... the only Surf Pikachus are Hardy Nature anyway). Keep HP Ice, go Grass Knot > Surf.

And Pikachu isn't even comparable to Deoxys-A. :/
It kinda is; very powerful, but a hit takes it out.

I agree with Mobile about Surf's replacement.
Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:34 PM).
I'm back. I think.

Run 252 HP/ 96 Atk/ 160 Def on Quaggy. Its maeant more for physical walling. Your moveset looks a lot like Smogon's Cursesire set, which rlly isn't neccessary. For RestTalk, Keep Earthquake to stop Kabutops from switching in and setting up, and then use Stone Edge.

Old November 2nd, 2008 (04:35 PM).
Resurrected warrior

"Not true, the 20th anniversary nintendo power event on sept. 13 2008 no longer limits the nature for surfing pikachus. You're allowed to use timid surfing pikachus on shoddy also. "

I took out surf anyway due to all the suggestions, though i found it a bit useful for a suprise factor.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 8th, 2008 (04:46 PM).

ahh its nice to see other people interested in UU!!

just a couple things, you have a major lack of rapid spin, and as someone who abuses spikes and stealth rock, i'd reccomend it over explosion on claydol. i think its better to be able to switch claydol back in even at low health, set up another screen or rapid spin and then die naturally, allowing you to bring in another sweeper then it is to explode.

and camerupt, although it is pretty sweet, is frail to the max, and i dislike things that are 4x weak to such a common type. torkoal works good as at least he can be brought in on physical attacks and is able to explode, rapid spin and overheat as well, but it does lack earth power. solrock is another choice being able to fire blast, stone edge, e-quake among other things, and also able to explode and has a handy immunity to e-quake, something which nets supereffective against camerupt. overall though very nice!! i run a very similar pikachu and its always a special kind of awesome to see a pikachu kick some major butt.

if you ever want to battle UU let me know! most people use the same boring OU pokes, but with UU there are so many options its ridiculously fun to play in my opinion.

Ryan: 1762-1499-4676

Check out the Dark Labyrinth Gym
Take the Challenge
Old November 9th, 2008 (09:43 PM).
Resurrected warrior

Well I'm not as skilled in OU either (though I'm not bad). The main tier I generally play in is the uber tier. But I thought I'd try UU for a change, and its going good so far. I can play you on UU on shoddy sometime, but I have yet to build this team for wifi. Solrock has terrible special attack, so I can't really replace camerupt with him. Torkoal has a 4x ground weakness, while Camerupt's ability solid rock lowers super effective and hyper effective moves.

Many things on my team resist stealth rock, and I don't see enough spikers in UU to make it a real concern for me as of yet.

Zero is awesome .
Old November 10th, 2008 (03:14 AM). Edited November 10th, 2008 by rystar.

torkoal is mono fire type, so its only 2x weak to ground, and with a base 140 defense its not gonna hurt him much either to take an earthquake or residual stealth rock on the switch.

i ran some calculations, a modest gorebyss surf will always OHKO camerupt, with or without rain, with or without stealth rock, with or without a beneficial nature, and even with camerupt's solid rock ability. that same surf when hitting a torkoal will only do between 84.38 to 99.38% with a neutral sp. def nature. so pretty much keep both of them away from gorebyss, but torkoal fares a bit better and could explode, but would only do between 80.33 to 95% damage to gorebyss (neutral natures on both), but compare that with camerupt who's already dead with no chance to explode.

and unfortunately i never really got into the whole shoddy thing, but if you get a wifi team together count me in!

Ryan: 1762-1499-4676

Check out the Dark Labyrinth Gym
Take the Challenge

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)