• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Jimmyjoejohnson's sprite inserting tutorial for dummies

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
The blob of blobs sprite inserting tutorial for dummies

fordummiesmt4.png

Pokeball_spins.gif
The file is located on this link
Pokeball_spins.gif

Pokeball_spins.gif
Sorry for need to download but I can't use UBB at all or CSS
Pokeball_spins.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2016
Sapphire(not sure if it's the same for Ruby)

439 - ???
459 - Bulbasaur
460 - Bulbasaur back, but shiny for some reason.
1231 - Deoxys

To find a pokemon, just go to Bulbasaur(or deoxys) and figure out the difference in number. Then double it. Then add it(or subtract it depending on wether its after or before) and you should have it. If not do a bit of pressing next/previous.

But the 'Enter key' thing is really pissing me off.

EDIT: For the shiny version, if you have a normal one, click next pal. For normal, if you have shiny, click previous pal.

EDIT 2: It's not working! It looks all messed up. I can discern some of the sprite but it's blurry and cut in half. :(

What did I do wrong? I followed all your instructons.

Last edited:
Years
Ugh. The backsprite has the pallete of the shiny colours, but ingame it will not, unless the Pokéon is a shiny. That way they don't need four sprites for a Pokémon. Just recolour your backspirte to have the shiny pallete and the frontsprite to have the normal one. The ROM will do the rest of the work. ;P Now, onto the tutorial. You need to do a bit more explaining, and not just short phrases. Try and give the thread a nice layout, not particularily CSS, but perhaps bigger tet for the title, and soe images. Of course, the visuals aren't vital, but people will usually view the thread and exit again becuase it doesn't look nice, even if it is good quality. Just some tips, JJJ (is it okay if I call you that?). Otherwise, quite a nice tut you got thar. :P

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2014
When i select the picture it says "IMAGE IS NOT INDEXED"

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
ok well you can....
a.)Open the picture again in irfanview go to image==>decrease color depth
16 colors
then click save as
choose a NEW location to save the file
save as a .gif compuserve
load the NEW picture in unlz
write to rom
check pallette and image

Years
this tutorial do seem good but still confuses me...i think it should have pictures along with the instructions so we can follow it step by step and see what needs to be done... sorry if im asking for too much...

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
I would post pics if I hadn't lost my camstudio and if you will look here you will see that i can't get camstudio on the computer I'm allowed to use for these purposes ( I would use flash drive but it's not fitting (the installer file) on the flash drive)

Years
well my friend all you have to do is hold the "Ctrl" button and look for the "Print Scrn" button which should be on the top of the keyboard beside the "F12" button... after that all you have to do is open up "paint", then just "paste"... it should already be copied, then you just cut out the unecessary parts, as it copy the whole screen... and thank you...

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
Years
What do I do if the compressed size is to big? It says " Compressed size is: 508. Which is to big. Aborting." What do I do?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 6, 2009
It imprts great, but when I view it it is all scrambled aroud. I know that normally you can puch the + and - buttons to change it but it doesn't work. And in game its all screwy and has some parts from some other image in there too.

halp?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
as far as compression sizes go...
when it gives you the error "Compressed size is XXXX. Aborting!" or something similar, 1)remember the string of hex it gave you
2) Open up ms calculator
3) Switch to "Scientific View"
3.A)Switch to "Hex mode"
4)type in the string of hex i told you to remember (writing it down works just as good if you really wanna)
5)without doing anything else switch to "decimal mode"
6)copy the new string of numbers in calculator(edit -> copy)
7)Open your rom with fsf
8) in the "needed bytes" section, replace 64 with the string of NUMBERS that ms calc gave you after switching from hex to decimal mode in step 5
9)click "search"
10)Copy the offset FSF gave you (man your clipboard is useful)
11)Goto your sprite in UNLZ.GBA
12)Import your sprite again
13)When you go to write the new sprite to your rom, check the box "automatically fix pointers" and paste your offset (from FSF) into the "image location" box. Then go to the beggining and add two 0's. (before= XXXXXX; After = 00XXXXXX) that isn't entirely nescasary i think, but i do it anyways, I'm not real sure
14)Click "ok", you should see a pop up saying "ptr XXXXXXX changed" or something like that , click "ok"
15)your done

*please note*You can not change the compression size as far as my knowledge extends

Back