The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Art & Design

Notices

Art & Design For digital, traditional, design, photography and mixed media art, Pokémon-related or not. Showcase or discuss anything related to the visual arts here.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
mrpwnageisme
I am teh smexyest

Send a message via Yahoo to mrpwnageisme
HEY can you make me a rival for pokemon ruby?

Ha bet you dont have a pikachu!!!!!
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Nature: Relaxed
No requests here mrpwnageisme, and anyways I don't do trainers for requests.

Here is the latest sheet, and my biggest. I mean, I got a ton of requests. The only non requests are the Link splice, and those recolors.

Support Mega Man getting off the moon and help get Capcom to make Legends 3!
Old September 20th, 2008, 01:07 PM
finther45
Beginning Trainer

um... i dont know how to paste stuff on and i don't care so go on finther45/deviantart.com and go to my gallery. i have splices there. deviantart i s a great site!
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Took me forever to even start doing these, much less finishing. Thanks though to me starting to develop some type of insomnia, I got some done (I really need to get to bed before 5 AM!). Well I have to say I love the Thorny Devil I made. It's now one of my favorite/cutest, at least I think so. Also I'm lazy and will be ceasing all the useless junk I had when describing pokemon. I'm now not going to bother to say level or stats of the Pokemon.

592 - Lighla: Psychic Type. "The markings on its body glow when this Pokemon uses it's psychic powers.
593 - Darvil: Dark Type. "This Pokemon is known for its visious style of fighting. With it's powerful arms, it can break down entire trees."
594 - Koalanian - Psychic/Dark Type. "This pokemon shares two very different personalities. It's versatility more than makes up for the lack of a sound mind though." (Currently my idea is that either the Koala or Tasmanian Tiger can evolve into this Pokemon.)

595 - Echindle: Fire Type. "It is said that you can tell the age of this Pokemon by the number of spikes on its back. No one knows how they get and or grow them."

596 - Thornz: Fire Type. "The spikes on its back aren't actual flames, they act as a warning. The warning is appropriate though as this Pokemon is a Fire type."
597 - Frillz: Fire Type. "When being threatened this Pokemon displays its crimson frill. It is said that they also absorb heat through the thrills."

598 - Smoochum: I don't feel like bothering.
599 - Jynx: I don't feel like bothering.
600 - Hexill: Psychic/Ice. "This Pokemon is capable of hypnotizing without even using its psychic powers. It's singing and dancing are said to capture the heart of anything." (Way of evolution pending)

As a bonus I've made a cool little animation of the Echidna Pokemon:

Oh and also I was thinking of doing something with the Echidna Pokemon involving Candle Jack but I never thou....

Old October 12th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Domin-8
aka Unoringinally Funny

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Domin-8
Those revamps aren't really revamps, they are recolors. Green sprites are terrible with anatomy, when you revamp you have to fix that, it would hone your scratch skills as well.

Otherwise you are very good I love your fusions mate.

Please click all on profiles please
Old October 12th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Ryoko-san
a taste of autumn.

I want that grass dinosaur. <333
Like, lots. Its so cute. TT3TT

Thank you for the card kenji!
Thanks for the Banner Ana!
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:01 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Here is the latest sheet. For whatever reason this thing took me forever. The time it takes me to do a splice has actually increased recently, probably because I'm trying out some more advance stuff. Sadly I can't help but think I'm slowly moving into disguise territory more so than splicing =/. Well whatever, I like what I've done this time around, some cool stuff. Everything on this one was by request.

The repose on the bottom was a request from a friend, he wanted me to make a repose of Pikachu in Pokemon yellow style. I used the Super Smash Bros. Brawl pose for it.I then figured I'd revamp it, which went kind of Ok, but it is a bit small by today's standards =P.

I was also requested to mix like 8 Pokemon, but since one was Wailord, another being Combee, I decided to say "Screw that", that's too many things with too many different sizes and stuff, I don't feel like tackling something like that on request yet. If I do a 8 pokemon splice, I'll be choosing the Pokemon. Also was requested to do a Dialga + Palkia + Girantina (Origin Forme), but I am not doing it since it involves Origin Forme Girantina, which I don't have a free to use sprite of it, nor do I want to go find one.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

This guy is my Role Play character Raizou, I've done sprites for him before, but those sucked.

Now to be fair I didn't just do this from scratch. I did make everything on this guy though. What I'm trying to say is I didn't edit someone else's sprite, but I edited my own. I some time ago made a Hulk sprite. Well what I did was take that, change the skin color, alter the pose, make him taller, down sized the muscles, gave him some more clothing and weapons. So a good loads of heavy edits to my own sprite, so I'm pretty sure you can still call it a scratch.

Last edited by Jappio; December 5th, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

My non Poke sprites always seem to get a lack of attention. Well then maybe these Fakemon will spark some of your interest. I want to say in general I get no attention, but my view count on this is bigger than threads with more replies. I guess the people who look have nothing to say about them. Not sure if that is good or bad

Well guys its been awhile and others spriting things have gotten in the way, but finally my Fakemon sheet is done. Loads of small families this time, but that is ok. I personally like Ghillie the most.

601 - Soots: Fire type. "Smoke comes out of its ears even as it sleeps. It's hands and feet are colored not naturaly, but by the soot it creates."
602 - Smoken: Fire type. "Smoken is said to have a raging fire inside them at all times. They themselves can control their body temperature and raise it high enough to burn enemies on contact."

603 - Ghillie: Ground/Grass type. "Laying on its belly, this Pokemon stays hidden until its prey gets near. It then rises up and burries it prey aliver underneath itself."

604 - Fruiton: Grass type. "This Pokemon does its best to avoid predators. Most can't avoid its sweet scent or juicy taste."

605 - Cometa: Psychic/Rock. "When people see Cometa from afar, they think it's a shooting star and make a wish." This Pokemon is suppose to be just like Solrok and Lunatone)

Old December 11th, 2008, 04:24 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Sorry for the quad post, but I mean no one comments and I drop a few pages, so yeah....

Well here we go, the 40th sheet. Loads of requests and contest entries on here and the what not. I am missing two splices though.

It was suggested to me to do a splice of the 3 Regis, and a splice the psychic trio. Well with the many requests I've done, and the fact that splices like those I don't fancy, I've decided to deny that suggestion. I could probably make them, but I don't feel like it is the bottom line. I am not usually a fan of cliche, and those two ideas I found to be cliched. This isn't the first time I felt like doing this, there have been splices in the past I've done I just didn't like because of the idea. So a new rule is that I may just deny any suggestion that I dub cliche. Other things I could finch cliche are things like Pikachu+Lucario, Mewtwo+Deoxys, Charizard+Blastoise+Venusaur, just to name a few. Now if you do request something like these, I may do it still, depending on my load and how cliche I find it. Just don't get your hopes up. Now this doesn't mean go and try and pick the most obscure Pokemon to put together, just watch out for the really common type combinations.

Now that is out of the way time to explain a few things on this sheet.

The Bulbasaur disguise/repose if you can't tell is actually an Ivysaur. I took away Ivysaur's plant, and drew in a bulb. The two Pokemon look almost identical.

Venonat+Shuppet+Chimecho won me first place in a one on one match.

Luxray+Magnezone looked so much like a space ship, I decided to give it a background using the star from Luxray.

Breloom Fossil I did in my usual fossil style. My friend finds it hilarious that when I made my first fossil I went way farther than what a fossil is suppose to be (apparently they are suppose to be just some recoloring and editing to make it look like a fossil type Pokemon, instead of making the literal fossil/bone structure. I know Breloom may or may not have a bone structure since it is a mushroom plant thing, but I decided to ignore the logic =P

Ghastlax is way better than Licklax! Licklax was never that great to begin with! *Still is pouting at the fame and attention Licklax once got*

Xatu+Dialga has to be one of my personal favorites and best in my opinion. It was also one of the harder ones I've had to make.

Last edited by Jappio; December 11th, 2008 at 04:31 AM.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Wow, I'm not quintuple posting. This really can't be avoided though, I mean no one responds to me.

Well I have now completed my video tutorial for splicing in paint. It doesn't quite show off too many advanced techniques, just because those things fall under actual spriting skills, and those take way longer to teach. The video is in 4 parts. I explain everything pretty in depth though, so I think it is worth it. Beginners I think can make pretty good splices if they stop and watch the whole thing. I also narrate it, so there isn't a ton of reading you have to do either. It is also done live, and the splice I did blind, so the example splice isn't my best, but it shows what needs to be done with most.

Video Splicing Tutorial

Old December 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Almia-Ranger
Beginning Trainer

They seem to somewhat inspire me.
I might have a go XD
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Anuhrima
Darkness and Rebirth

Old December 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
i don't like them that much(no offence)
None taken, but any reason why. In fact what is it you don't like much? I mean I have a lot of different things here, and it'd be nice to know what I need to work more on.

Old December 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Today is a special day. Day that only comes once a year. I like to think back to the past on this day, and think of all the new things that come. Long ago on this very day the world was changed. Something new was brought into the world. Many consider it a miracle. Ever since that time, people have thought about that miracle with joy in their eyes. Truly mankind was bettered by this thing.

Now long after it, I celebrate this time with all my heart. I think about those who don't believe in that miracle, and see it as nothing, and I almost question it. How could they not enjoy it? Well I try to forget that though, not to let myself down.

They say that on this day is the day for sharing and caring. I agree with that. Truly this day is very much about sharing. It's about letting your friends, family, and those less fortunate to all join together in harmony.

Yes, many days ago on this same day it all began. I think it would be proper for us to stop and think about that moment in time. How it has effected us so dearly...

I of course have been referring to my splices this whole time. That's right everyone, one year ago as of today I first started and debuted my splices. Apparently I had nothing better to do on Christmas than to sit around and combine Pokemon. Also not to long ago you may recall I posted my 40th sheet. Now I see this is a good accomplishment. In one year I've made 40 sheets of splices, at least about 6 on each sheet. I've made well over 240 splices that means. Well if you remember some time back, when I hit the 20 mark, I made a special sheet to show off the things that I adored and things I thought didn't' get enough spot light. So here it is:

Well I hope you all enjoy this little treat. I know it's not much, but I mean I think it's a nice way to celebrate =P

Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Well I have a new video. This time though it's just a simple demonstration video. It's me making a Fakemon. So I guess you can consider this a preview of the next Fakemon Sheet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcw-NzUPuvw

Old January 3rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
Mitchman
Booted out - don't be like me!

Nature: Hasty
This thread is like you have an update of a website i cant believe your sprites arent popular. I still love em and keep spriting.
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Thanks Mitchman.

A new Fakemon sheet and done. With this sheet done I also declare that soon the region will be complete, at least in concept. The only remaining Fakemon to make are legendaries. This also means that I think I could soon begin an RP for it. A few things still have to be figured out, but I don't predict said things to take too long. I also realized somewhere along the lines I screwed up my dex #'s. It's not too big of a deal since I'll be messing with the order later on. I should be at about 645 if I remember correctly.

So on the todo list:
-Splices
-Fakemon moves/other left out bits
-Figuring how to work the RP
-Deciding on the site I'll host the RP

That last one I wish I could decide on. I'm going to have to host it one location, I don't want to run like 5 different RP's. At the same time I feel bad about make everyone who wants to join it have to sign up on a new site somewhere. I also have to be smart about the site I choose. I don't want to flood the wrong site with a whole bunch of random users. If anyone has a good suggestion, I'm all ears. If you want it here, let me know, if you want it somewhere else, let me know. I'm open to suggestions and I'm going to probably go with what the fans want.

606 - Pichu
607 - Pikachu
608 - Raichu

609 - Cubone
610 - Marowak

611 - Magikarp
612 - Gharados

613 - Venonat
614 - Venomoth
615 - Venora: Bug/Poison type. Evolves from Venomoth in an unknown way. "This monster of a Pokemon is supposedly able to shoot lightning from its antennae, and have psychic powers."

616 - Heracrash: Bug Type. Evolves into Heracross at level 25. "It uses it's powerful horn to run into trees and try and knock fruit down from them."
617 - Heracross

618 - Bagbird: Ice Type. Evolves into Delibird at Level 20. "Bagbird collects small objects and stores them in its bag like tail. It then gives them to it's parent or trainer."
619 - Delibird
620 - Postian: Ice/Flying Type. Evolvse from Delibird in an unknown way. "This Pokemon can deliver almost anything. It's said that it's bag has no bottom."

621 - Shroomish
622 - Breloom
623 - Flintoom: Grass/Fire Type. Evolves from Shroomish in an unknown way. "The spores it shoots out from the ends of its arms can burn much like fire can."

624 - Seel
625 - Dewgong

626 - Zubat
627 - Golbat
628 - Crobat

629 - Geodude
630 - Graveller
631 - Golem

632 - Tentacool
633 - Tentacruel

634 - Billybolt: Electric/Dark Type. "Scurrying along the floors of caves, this Pokemon lights dark tunnels. It is ironically afraid of the dark."
635 - Gowatt: Electric/Dark Type. Evolves from Billybolt at level 30. "Able to scale tall mountains, Gowatts tend to stay near the tip of mountains where they can stay close to storm clouds and recharge."
636 - Ramsurge: Electric/Dark Type. Evolves from Gowatt at level 50. "Legend says that Ramsurges prance atop storm clouds to create lightning storms."

------------------------------

Old January 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Spike Xian
Beginning Trainer

Okay I've benn looking through all your sprites. Now I must get to the hard part and um kinda criticise you. Now this doesn't mean your should stop I remember when I wasn't the greatest but I never gave-up. It's just I think I need to post something so here it goes (this is for your own good). Now first of all You do a decent job of making lineart but your Fakemon are very...well they're very un-Pokemonish and I don't really like them. Second of all you know what your doing when you splice but it seems like you get a little carried away and it's all copy and paste with no adjustments at all. I mean don't get me wrong and don't just quit but I think it works out better for a Spriter to receive some harsh criticism seeming as though I grew up in a harsh pixeling forum but it worked better for me and got me to get better. SO don't quit but improve and look for ways to improve. Study up Pokemon sprites, look for tutorials and you'll get btter, you usually do as long as you keep going and continue to learn.
3308-8744-1316
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Wow, you were really worried that I was going to quit just because of a tad of critique. Don't worry, I understand the purpose of critique. I myself critique people at another forum. I agree about the Fakemon not being very Pokemonish. I'm not very good at forcing my style into another one. When I try, it gets mixed up with my own. Admittingly though I dont' fight personal style too much, since I'm still new to spriting, I'd like to develope and enhance my own style. Once Fakemon are done, I won't be doing too many. I view my Fakemon as practice for spriting. Aside from that though I'm glad you like the line art. I think one problem is the concepts maybe. A lot of my things are plain, but that's because I'm a plain person at heart, and I like plain =P.

I don't quite get what you mean by getting carried away. Also I know I've done a lot of copy/paste in the past, but as of recently I thought I've been getting away from that more. Things like Dialga+Xatu, or Mewtwo+Kyogre I don't remember doing any Copy/paste. I can't say I'll stop copy/paste, sometimes it's fun, like a puzzle almost. I also see it like a specific style.

I agree with you, a spriter need critism. I post my stuff not jsut for praise, but for the critique. I want to be better, and I thank you for taking the time tell me what you don't like. I don't think looking up more Pokemon sprites can help me. I mean I've been dealing closely enough with them to make my splices and for some Fakemon.

Thanks again for the critisizing. I will try and keep these things in mind for the next time I do some spriting and what not.

Old January 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Zee.kthxbai
Sweet Supine Surrealist

They're alright, and you certainly have quantity. I do like the luxray + magnezone, which is saying something because I hate it when fusions are obvious like that. I dunno, I've always considered it hack work, but I'm coming around slowly to it after visiting this site, so don't be too offended by my present opinion.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:22 PM
DarknessSneasel
Master of Dark

great work the fakemon are brilliant.
good luck with the rest

DarknessSneseal
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Spike Xian
Beginning Trainer

Well I'm glad you aren't immature like the others and I'm glad you will continue. I see some great sprits from you in the future. Also glad to see you accept criticism I've noticed some people who just get all whiney and get the admins to ban. I plan to actually check around here more and more to watch your progress. It's always nice to see a new spriter. Anyways keep up the new work and update me with your new works through some PMs it'd be pretty cool to watch someone get better cause it's fun to see people advance in spriting like I have since I was a newbie to spriting. Keep it up
3308-8744-1316
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Well here is good old sheet 41. The cool thing about this sheet is I actually have something that isn't a request. Seakirdraphlock is something that I picked the Pokemon itself for. I know this doesn't sound like much, but lately it seems like I do only requests. I also tried something new and different on that splice, I don't know if anyone will quite notice what though.

Old January 20th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Jappio
Prophet of Lightning

Here is my newest sprite I've been working on. It's once again my RP character Raizou. This time though I have an all new style and purpose. I've finally been able to shrink the size of my sprites down. I was attempting to do it in the style of Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3 for the GBA. It's a Japanese only spin off of the 'Tales of' series. I'm told it doesn't quite match that style. I seem to not be able to imitate style very well, since I can't seem to imitate Pokemon or 'Tales of'. I guess I don't mind that too much, I'm ok with having my own style.

This version of Raizou has a few small changes though. He is not wearing his gauntlets in this sprite. I did this moreso out of laziness though. Gray gauntlets holding a gray axe over gray chain mail is kind of hard to see, so I decided to not go with the hassle and just make him gauntletless. He also does not have belts going over his chest like normal. Instead his shield I'll just say is being held up by the belt across his waist. I didn't want to cover the chest I worked so hard on by them, so that's why I omitted him.

I plan on making multiple frames for this guy. The idea is I want him to be put into a fighting game. This is probably just his basic standing pose. Obviously I'm far from being now, but I got the first sprite out of the way. C+C would be greatly adored since I consider this one of my best works yet, and I want it just to get better and better.

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links