Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub
Reload this Page Diamond/Pearl/Platinum hacking

Notices
For all updates, view the main page.

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread

Old February 24th, 2009 (08:35 PM).
DPP Game Researcher

Send a message via AIM to SCV Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SCV
Quote originally posted by dragonarche:
how do i get the texture file to work i extracted it form field data/ area_map_tex /map_tex_set.narc/map_tex_set-0.0xtb
and renamed it to map.nsbtx when i run the program with the texture i get a error
it works fine with texture
You need to find a btx file that has all the textures that the model file says are used. It might not be zero. For twinlieaf, texture number 6 works.

A new type of DPP Editor: PPRE (PPRE beta 0.05 now out, but there are newer releases)

Useful programs for DPP Hacking/Research: http://rapidshare.com/files/179900486/ROMHackingTools.zip
Old March 2nd, 2009 (03:52 PM).
The One And ONLY!!!

hey there, nobody has posted recently, so .thought that i would break the silence with some news. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ujOjgc3Iw
go to the above link to watch a tutorial on how to hack d/p/p models.
if you think the tutorial is too breif, than don't hesitate to tell me

Check out my pokemon diamond hack videos here:
http: diamond hacking 2 map and route pokemon edit
http: diamond hacking 4 to oreburg
NEW: http:Heart gold / Soul Silver map and model hack!!!
and for d/p/p hackers,be sure to look at my model list here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=166387
Old March 7th, 2009 (10:58 AM). Edited March 9th, 2009 by slawter666.

I have been working on a pokemon hack called Pokemon Bloodstone for some time now. it was originally a pokemon emerald hack but because of the sprite limit i have had to change to a pokemon diamond hack. i have found most of the tools i am looking for but i'm having trouble finding the rest. does anyone know where i could find the following tools

a map editor (which will also let me import tilesets and palletes)
and overworld editor
an mini-icon editor
a way to import sprites

Also i have a few questions

1) can you add your own items and set what they do without editing pre-existing ones

2) can you change the sinnoh dex to 202
and the national dex to about 600

3) how do you set a certain event shiny (like red gyarados on pokemon Gold)

4) how do you change the shiny rate from 1/8000 to 1/200
there is an action replay code that changes it to 1/1 so there must be a way to change to to 1/200

5) on the screen where you select if you're a boy or a girl can you add extra options

6) how do you add different forms to pokemon, with different mini-icons and overworlds (like unown)

7) can you set the maximum level to over 100?

8) can i add extra boxes in the pc (to about 25)

9) i want to be able to 'fuse' pokemon. at one section you will be able to 'fuse' 3 pokemon. but i want the stats to be all 3 pokemons stats divided by 2, does anyone know how i can do that

any help with be greatly appreciated and your name will be put in my credits list when i release the game.

Slawter666
Old March 7th, 2009 (03:00 PM). Edited March 7th, 2009 by hi sir tomato my password is syvniti.
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti's Avatar
hi sir tomato my password is syvniti hi sir tomato my password is syvniti is offline
gggggggggggggggggg

Quote originally posted by slawter666:
I have been working on a pokemon hack called Pokemon Bloodstone for some time now. it was originally a pokemon emerald hack but because of the sprite limit i have had to change to a pokemon diamond hack. i have found most of the tools i am looking for but i'm having trouble finding the rest. does anyone know where i could find the following tools

and overworld editor
an mini-icon editor
a way to import sprites

1) can you add your own items and set what they do without editing pre-existing ones

there is an action replay code that changes it to 1/1 so there must be a way to change to to 1/200

5) on the screen where you select if you're a boy or a girl can you add extra options

6) how do you add different forms to pokemon, with different mini-icons and overworlds (like unown)

and help with be greatly appreciated and your name will be put in my credits list when i release the game.

Slawter666
I think there are a lot of those tools, But unfortently I we can't give you link, Just use google...

You can maybe also try to rename your rom to .gba and open it with advancemap, I don't know it will work, but I think so...
Old March 9th, 2009 (09:17 AM).

i have tried google, but have had no success
Old March 9th, 2009 (10:40 AM).
DPP Game Researcher

i have tried google, but have had no success
He was just spamming.

Before I begin let me advise you not to be too disappointed. Most of the answers will be negative. Unfortunately there are not alot of use actively working on DPP so progress is VERY slow.
The number of people who want hacking tools is MUCH MUCH greater than the number of people willing to research DPP to figure out how things work and make those tools.

Quote:
Not yet, you'll have to wait a LONG time for this.
Quote:
and overworld editor
PokeTEX works, but is somewhat complicated to use.

Quote:
an mini-icon editor
I don't know what you mean here.

Quote:
a way to import sprites
Which sprites?

Quote:

We will be able to do it eventually. But that requires FULL knowledge of how the game handles items.

Quote:
Seems possible, but has not been done. Again we need FULL knowledge of how the game handles pokemon.

Quote:
You need an ASM hack as well as particular scripting knowledge.

Quote:
That should be easy. Just find the shiny check code and change the appropriate value, actually I already know what it is. We can change it to 1/257 IIRC.

Quote:
Sure, but its hard.

Quote:
We don't know yet.

Quote:
Yes. But you need to find every single place where the game checks that the pokemon's level is less than or equal to 100.

Quote:
Probably, but you need to do an ASM hack and modify the save handler, and make sure you don't break anything else.

Quote:
9) i want to be able to 'fuse' pokemon. at one section you will be able to 'fuse' 3 pokemon. but i want the stats to be all 3 pokemons stats divided by 2, does anyone know how i can do that
I don't think so.

Quote:
any help with be greatly appreciated and your name will be put in my credits list when i release the game.

Slawter666
To conclude, you should not ask if something is possible or if you 'can' do something. Most of the time it IS possible, you CAN do it. But that does not imply that you will or that any one knows HOW.

A new type of DPP Editor: PPRE (PPRE beta 0.05 now out, but there are newer releases)

Useful programs for DPP Hacking/Research: http://rapidshare.com/files/179900486/ROMHackingTools.zip
Old March 9th, 2009 (11:52 AM).

by sprites i mean custom sprites

and by mini icons i mean the little icons that appear in the pc or next to pokemons name.

btw do you have a (very rough) time frame (weeks/months/years) on how long it will take to develop the tools. i have no knowledge of how stuff like that works or how to make it so i can't estimate.

how much development have you made so far in Diamond hacking

also what game are you mostly focussing on (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
becaue if you get more developed in Platinum , i will change my hack to a platinum hack.

Btw when (however long it takes) you figure out more in-depth knowledge and possibly have solutions to my problems please PM/notify me

Thanks for your help
Old March 9th, 2009 (12:04 PM).
DPP Game Researcher

by sprites i mean custom sprites
That doesn't help at all.
I'll assume you mean pokemon sprites. Look for PokeDSPic http://pokeguide.filb.de

Quote:
and by mini icons i mean the little icons that appear in the pc or next to pokemons name.
If these are the same as the pokemon party icons then you can use modifications of PokeDSPic that I made, there is one for party icons. http://db.pokesav.org/upload/index.php?action=view&filename=PokeDSPicModifiedVersions.zip&directory=Others

Quote:
btw do you have a (very rough) time frame (weeks/months/years) on how long it will take to develop the tools. i have no knowledge of how stuff like that works or how to make it so i can't estimate.
Quote:
how much development have you made so far in Diamond hacking
I have made an event editor and a script editor. I don't have as many commands as I would want since its just me and one other person actively searching for them.
I would say about a year from now, you might have something close to what you want. Like I said there are so many things to do and not enough people helping. That means more work for the few people working which means it will take longer.

Quote:
also what game are you mostly focussing on (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum)
becaue if you get more developed in Platinum , i will change my hack to a platinum hack.
All three. The difference between each of them will be minimal.

Quote:
Btw when (however long it takes) you figure out more in-depth knowledge and possibly have solutions to my problems please PM/notify me
When there are huge developments you will know it because I will post a thread in the tools section.

Quote:
Thanks for your help
You're welcome.

Old March 9th, 2009 (12:06 PM).

thanks again. (you're a great help)

by custom sprites i mean both trainer and pokemon sprites
Old March 9th, 2009 (12:22 PM).
DPP Game Researcher

thanks again. (you're a great help)

by custom sprites i mean both trainer and pokemon sprites
You're welcome and PokeDSPic works for both pokemon and trainer sprites.

Old March 9th, 2009 (01:18 PM).
Project Amethyst

Nature: Naive
To be honest, I think most of the things you're trying to do would be a lot easier if you didn't make a ROM hack, and used a general game maker instead. For example, RPG Maker XP with poccil's starter kit. That's because a lot of things on your list involve modifying the actual game code, which is a lot easier when you use a high-level programming language instead of ASM. Of course, there are disadvantages (for example, no 3D effects, lack of animations, and the $60 fee to purchase RMXP); overall, it's your choice. It will just be a lot harder, and take a lot longer, if you try getting all those into a ROM hack.
Old March 11th, 2009 (08:42 AM). Edited March 11th, 2009 by slawter666.

well, personally i think a ROM hack would be easier (for me) because i know absolutely nothing about programming and stuff, but i can easily use software thats made to do a certain thing, i would ask gamefreak if they would give me any advice (because i'm interested in game designing, and pokemon is an awesome game) but i can't find a contact us + their website is in japanese

plus i have confidence that the people working on the dpp modding tools, will be able to figure out stuff much more complicated than what i want done.
Old March 11th, 2009 (09:41 AM).
DPP Game Researcher

well, personally i think a ROM hack would be easier (for me) because i know absolutely nothing about programming and stuff, but i can easily use software thats made to do a certain thing, i would ask gamefreak if they would give me any advice (because i'm interested in game designing, and pokemon is an awesome game) but i can't find a contact us + their website is in japanese
That is the exact mentality that causes some people over at the Game Dev to call ROM Hackers lazy.

Quote originally posted by Dawson:
Have people just become lazy? People that use a starter kit are no different from ROM hackers to me. When I look at a game, I wanna see a CUSTOM battle system, a CUSTOM menu system and some original features and systems. I don't wanna just see similar maps using the same tileset. It seems to me now that the Game Development area has just become a contest to see who can create the best Fakémon, most of which are also made by other people too.
In fact, true ROM hackers are anything but lazy.

Quote:
plus i have confidence that the people working on the dpp modding tools, will be able to figure out stuff much more complicated than what i want done.
Again its not about if it can be done, its about how long it takes. Just be warned that you might be waiting years to start doing what you want.

OR you can spend those years learning programming.

Old March 12th, 2009 (07:45 AM). Edited March 12th, 2009 by slawter666.

well, a lot of those points i can live without doing.

the most important things for my hack would be the map editor and the ability to add different forms to the pokemon. and the shiny events

if i can't change the boxes or the pokedex no. without messing other stuff up then i won't do it.

also i do have another question which i forgot about

do you know if/how i can add extra types into the game?
Old March 12th, 2009 (08:18 AM).
DPP Game Researcher

well, a lot of those points i can live without doing.

the most important things for my hack would be the map editor and the ability to add different forms to the pokemon. and the shiny events

if i can't change the boxes or the pokedex no. without messing other stuff up then i won't do it.

also i do have another question which i forgot about

do you know if/how i can add extra types into the game?
At the moment I don't know if anyone knows how to add types. I know where the type (dis)/advantages table is but I don't know how much other data would need to be changed.

Old March 12th, 2009 (09:23 AM).

well i know i can change the ??? to the type i want, i would just need to change the (dis)advantage table.

but then some moves will be the wrong type.

btw is there an unlz-ds (like the unlz-gba) made/in development.

and do you know how i can change the tileset animations
Old March 13th, 2009 (05:06 PM).

Any ROM hackers that can't program shouldn't be hacking.
Old March 13th, 2009 (06:18 PM).
yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to gamefreakfatty
Quote originally posted by E-Bag:
That's the kind of attitude that makes the researchers/real ROM hackers look bad. At the same time, the post you were responding to is what makes the ROM hacking population in general. They make it look like everyone expects all the hard work to be done by others. In general, most probably look at it like that. It makes sense though, not everyone is going to have time to learn how to do the extra complicated stuff. The public image just looks bad, that's all.

To be fair, I haven't looked at the RPG Maker/real programming side of the image, so I don't know how bad it is over there. I'm sure the people over there have very exciting things going on though. It definitely requires more skill to learn a computer language to make the game, even if it were a basic one. <-- Don't quote me on it being a basic programming language, as I have not looked at it. No matter how easy or hard the language is, the closest we got is PokeScript/XSE/[insert other scripting program here.]

Those don't have the extra power you have unless we use ASM hacks. Even then we probably can't get the power you are allowed with actually programming it.

The main upside to ROM hacking is that we can play the games on a real GB/GBC/GBA/NDS if we have the "special equipment" to do so. If you're good enough, you could spend time making your own homebrew ROM for the system itself if you wanted to. That's what DevKitPro is for!

Not trying to bash either side though. ROM hacking requires a lot of research, but most people don't have the capacity to use the research to its full potential. ASM hacking is very complicated for most and requires a lot of time and understanding of the game's engine. On the other hand, programming is very similar across all the languages, but requires the right skills to learn it. You can customize the game much more than ROM hacking with ease. The downside would be that you probably won't be developing for a Nintendo handheld unless you're very committed.

That's my take on things, if anyone bothered to read it. Hope it can keep some peace between everyone, although I'm not sure that there's a war going on.

-gamefreakfatty

Old March 14th, 2009 (06:25 AM).

Quote originally posted by E-Bag:
why? thats like saying if you enjoy something, but can't fully do it. you shouldn't do it

also i don't have enough time to learn to do advanced programming.
have you tried ROM hacking, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and its time consuming. i don't expect people to do everything for me, but it's nice when somebody helps, it makes it that bit easier and quicker to do
Old March 14th, 2009 (11:17 AM).
DPP Game Researcher

why? thats like saying if you enjoy something, but can't fully do it. you shouldn't do it

have you tried ROM hacking, it isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and its time consuming. i don't expect people to do everything for me, but it's nice when somebody helps, it makes it that bit easier and quicker to do
Yes, he's done ROM hacking. He is one of a handful of people here that has.

While doing all the stuff that you asked for would not be doing everything for you, it would be accomplishing the vast majority of the hard things.

Old March 14th, 2009 (12:09 PM).

Quote originally posted by SCV:
While doing all the stuff that you asked for would not be doing everything for you, it would be accomplishing the vast majority of the hard things.
yes, i know that, but i enjoy making this game. I shouldn't be told if i can't do something i shouldn't do something else.

and you may be doing the really hard stuff, but obviously you want to programme because you enjoy it. if you didn't enjoy it you wouldn't do it, because if you did that it would be quite silly
Old March 14th, 2009 (12:20 PM).
The One And ONLY!!!

<menie> STOP ARGUING ABOUT WEATHER YOU SHOULD HACK OR NOT!!! if you want tools than thats your problem</menie> gugubarbar

Check out my pokemon diamond hack videos here:
http: diamond hacking 2 map and route pokemon edit
http: diamond hacking 4 to oreburg
NEW: http:Heart gold / Soul Silver map and model hack!!!
and for d/p/p hackers,be sure to look at my model list here:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=166387
Old March 14th, 2009 (12:28 PM).

i'm not arguing i'm saying, just because i can't do one aspect of something, i shouldn't be told i shouldn't do another aspect of something.

anyway, enough moaning from me.
how are things coming along, SCV
plus what are you currently working on
Old March 14th, 2009 (01:21 PM).
yuo shuld mak an dp map edtior

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to gamefreakfatty

Actually, that's the reason he has that attitude. He kind of helped pioneer the way through Diamond and Pearl and got the D/P/P ROM hacking scene rolling. He prefers to do everything manually with a hex editor, in turn making it even more time consuming. He's gotten a bad image of the general ROM hacking population because most people wouldn't stop bothering about map editors and never left him alone about the things he did. On top of the bothersome messages from them, he's had to deal with a member of PokeSpam distributing "viruses" (not real viruses, just annoying programs) to the PokeCommunity and getting in trouble. He hasn't had very good experiences here...

Old March 14th, 2009 (05:00 PM).
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
How do I pull Sprites out of D/P/Pt?

Sponsored Links

You may also like.. (Beta)