The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Bigdog

Originally Posted by Pokepal17 View Post
Yeah thanks I'll use this But what freeware is there that can import palette files and edit images? (I know Photoshop is licensed and I don't have it)
hen this is the best time to buy it. There is a Photoshop 7 with Premeire Elements for about in the 100-120 dollar range. For that version and later, you go on:

(Images- Mode- Color Table)

Thanks for the guide ,Dante because this is forwarding my rom hack by alot in the visuals apartment.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Gamer2020
This love is a sickness...

Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokepal17 View Post
Yeah thanks I'll use this But what freeware is there that can import palette files and edit images? (I know Photoshop is licensed and I don't have it)
google "irfan view" It's boss.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old January 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Bigdog

Originally Posted by >Dante< View Post
I see few questions on the tutorial...
that means as I have explained well him...
or what it doesn't interest XD
but in conclusion..
thanks to all for your comments

When i demo'd the sprites they were normal before I made a name, but afterwards they look like this:

Before

After

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
GamePlayer
Booted out - don't be like me!

i have a problem every time i insert my sprite then test it i choose the gender and then the picture goes all stuffed. what am i doing wrong?
Old January 26th, 2009, 06:14 AM
>Dante<
Call me Steven

Nature: Adamant
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to >Dante<
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
When i demo'd the sprites they were normal before I made a name, but afterwards they look like this:

Before

After

yes...
this is problem can happen becouse the palette that you use are not equal to the basical...
you can change it whit the HackMew tool's APE

APE offset:
Boy intro-- ---->0046161C
Rival Intro ---->004623B0
Prof intro ----->004623B4
Girl Intro ------>00460EF0

Old January 26th, 2009, 07:00 AM
foullump
Rom Hacking Guru

Nature: Calm
Good lord, Dante! The color thing is outstanding! It took me forever to try to get mine right in black in white! I'm glad I'm taking a break for a while, because I wouldn't have noticed this!
Old January 26th, 2009, 02:46 PM
NTA
Where?

i still dont understand how to replace the pic =/

Old January 27th, 2009, 05:46 AM
>Dante<
Call me Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by foullump View Post
Good lord, Dante! The color thing is outstanding! It took me forever to try to get mine right in black in white! I'm glad I'm taking a break for a while, because I wouldn't have noticed this!
thank you friend
your comment it's really important for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine-Tailed Assassin View Post
i still dont understand how to replace the pic =/
what you don't undestand?

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Xatoku
Game Developer

Nevermind, but how come the palette isn't working? Could you make a quick tutorial on how to change the palette of the sprite in APE?

Last edited by Xatoku; March 16th, 2009 at 09:33 AM.
Old March 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
>Dante<
Call me Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xatoku View Post
Nevermind, but how come the palette isn't working? Could you make a quick tutorial on how to change the palette of the sprite in APE?
hey man..
I have told you for PM to send me an image of your error
otherwise I don't understand as to help you..

Old March 25th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Xatoku
Game Developer

This is a bad tutorial. You fail to explain how you did most of the steps.
Old March 25th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Sloofish
★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn

O_________O THIS IS THE MOST HELPFUL TUTORIAL I HAVE EVER SEEN!

It fixes ALL of my problems with the hack I'm currently working on. THANK YOU! =D!!

If problems arise I'll ask again later. BUT I'll probably do some tinkering of my own a little if that is indeed to happen.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PKMN Artwork PKMN RoleplayPKMN ROM Hacks

Trainer INFOPKMN Radio PKMN Doujinshi

Old March 26th, 2009, 11:16 AM
>Dante<
Call me Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xatoku View Post
This is a bad tutorial. You fail to explain how you did most of the steps.
you are bad..
not the tutorial..
I have asked you in this topic and for PM to send you me an image of your problem to understand better.
You have not done it and then this is your problems..
you complain and you don't explain well your problem therefore the guilt is yours..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloofish View Post
O_________O THIS IS THE MOST HELPFUL TUTORIAL I HAVE EVER SEEN!

It fixes ALL of my problems with the hack I'm currently working on. THANK YOU! =D!!

If problems arise I'll ask again later. BUT I'll probably do some tinkering of my own a little if that is indeed to happen.
Ok man
For any problems you can Ask me

Old March 29th, 2009, 07:54 PM
LunaticHigh
N00b h4x0r

Hey, is there a way to edit the Nidoran that pops out of Oak's pokeball?
Old March 29th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Haz
Haz ya seen my hack?

Nature: Docile
Send a message via Yahoo to Haz

This helped me a lot.
Btw, for the people who don't have photoshop, u can use paint:
1. Make ur sprite before hand.
2. Do all the stuff in the tutorial then save your image.
3. Open up the saved image and then your sprite.
4. Place your sprite over the old one and colour in the background.
5. Insert. It worked for me!

Never mind, don't do this. I'm trying to insert this:

What am I doing wrong?

Fanfiction.net: Ha-Za-A

Credits to Galukxy for this awesome banner

Last edited by Haz; April 3rd, 2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM
hyuhin
Beginning Trainer

when should you click on the palette viewer for the Rival's intro? I tried it when Oak says "This is my grandson..." but the palette didn't work with the image..
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:42 AM
HackChu
I need a haircut...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Modest
I'm a bit baffled after the part when you insert Red's palettes than move straight to Brandon's(or Ruby hero).Am I supposed to paste over Red with the palettes still intact?
Old April 5th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Sloofish
★Cannibal Psycho Soft For Pkmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazzamon View Post
I'm trying to insert this:

What am I doing wrong?

I got this problem A LOT. I fixed it! You just have to go to the female or male choice screen and pick one. When you choose male, then go to "Tools" at the top of your VBA game and click "Pallet viewer" then take a screen shot of the page.

Paste the screen shot in MS paint or whatever your image editing program is, then cut out the pallet colours only, click "Copy" abd then click undo twice. Paste only your little pallet of colours for the male character then make ABSOLUTE SURE that every single last colour in your character is replaced with those pallet colours.

If any given one is not from that pallet or if you accidentally selected a background colour, it'll turn orange and green and neon blue in the game, blah blah blah. I accidentally got the same thing wrong as you did here and I think this is your problem:: You might have selected colours from OAK or RIVAL who have entirely different colour pallets from the Hero and Heroine. The game won't see them right and will make them look like THE HULK when you try to patch the game with them. >__> Don't do that. ;

Trial and error will get all of the colours right until your character is fully coloured correctly.

And there ya go~

PKMN Artwork PKMN RoleplayPKMN ROM Hacks

Trainer INFOPKMN Radio PKMN Doujinshi

Old April 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM
RedBig
Beginning Trainer

Ok I think this is a great tut, worked really well when changing the boy start. The problem happened when i tried to change oak...i used the exact same colour and didn't change the palette at all...i even tried useing your advice with APE but the problem isn't with those colours. The colours are the skin ones which can't be change with APE (or i don't know how to) ANYBODY who knows how to fix this problem please help. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png problemwitoak.PNG‎ (3.9 KB, 39 views) (Save to Dropbox)
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Gamer2020

Send a message via AIM to Gamer2020 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gamer2020 Send a message via Yahoo to Gamer2020 Send a message via Skype™ to Gamer2020
Hey this is a great tutorial but Ive noticed something.

Could you check to see if the pallete for Oak is correct?
I don't think it is the same pallete for the one in the intro. I have tried changing it several times already.

A present to people learning to make ROM hacking tools. - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._Functions.zip

If you want a successor to PGE then download this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=311461

If someone can create a Pokémon colosseum remake with graphics and scripting that are very appealing to my eyes I will help them with implementing actual shadow Pokémon.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
mineowyn
Trainer

Dante, now my problem has become like this:

Old April 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
joeprice
Beginning Trainer

Hey this is a great tutorial but Ive noticed something.

Could you check to see if the pallete for Oak is correct?
I don't think it is the same pallete for the one in the intro. I have tried changing it several times already.
Yeh I had the same problem with oak, but after a bit of fiddling around i managed to find his palette. I worked it out to be 00461CD4 (hopefully that's right).

P.S great tutorial, really helped me
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Gamer2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeprice View Post
Yeh I had the same problem with oak, but after a bit of fiddling around i managed to find his palette. I worked it out to be 00461CD4 (hopefully that's right).

P.S great tutorial, really helped me
Why thank you kind sir! I'll try that out later.

Old April 16th, 2009, 07:44 AM
RedBig
Beginning Trainer

still a great tut..i have changed most of the starting people but oak is still giving me troubles...i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I repaletted him so that they are all the original colours given by the game so none r changed...but his skin is still blue haha. Also when i insert the new oak i get "Ptr found at 00131304", i have no clue what that means so any help would be nice. Thanks
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Gamer2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBig View Post
still a great tut..i have changed most of the starting people but oak is still giving me troubles...i am not sure what i am doing wrong. I repaletted him so that they are all the original colours given by the game so none r changed...but his skin is still blue haha. Also when i insert the new oak i get "Ptr found at 00131304", i have no clue what that means so any help would be nice. Thanks
look 2 posts above yours...

Quick Reply

Sponsored Links