Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #9501    
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM
.Ozymandias's Avatar
.Ozymandias
Child of Time
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Karnac (in RL, The UK)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthine View Post
Admittedly, when writing it, yes. Because I'm a bit of a canon nazi, I know that every show, franchise, or whatever that one could possibly follow has a certain set of canon rules. I'm always afraid I'd inadvertently violate them, particularly when working with characters I know but haven't really experimented with a lot. For example, I've got a few Good Omens fics floating in Other Writing. It took me two and a half read-throughs of the book to get Aziraphale and Crowley, and even then, I'm not entirely sure if I got them right. And don't even get me started on the Evangelion fic that's on my old FFNet account. Positive reviews, but I swear to God, I'm going to rewrite those one day because I could do better with Kaworu. ;_;

Of course, fanfiction readers tend not to care if you're off slightly so long as you don't do anything glaringly obvious (depending on the community and the fandom), but I'm just anal because I'm always terrified that I did do something glaringly obvious.

But for advice for you, I'd say post it anyway. The best way to get into the fandom is just to get it out and over with and see what the audience thinks. If you're careful enough about working with the fandom the first time, you can probably still pull it off, and once you get a few stories out, you'll start warming up to the fandom.
I'm the same, particularly with this fandom I'm starting out in; I've done the research and I know the characters pretty well, it's just a case of writing the darn thing now! Thanks for the advice, I think I may well just write it and stick it out there (sounds somewhat rude, that), and hope for the best. *ponders and awaits more replies*




Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny



Theme

  #9502    
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?
I'm fortunate that the fandom I decided to join recently is a very friendly community for new members to join. It's the Sims 2 fandom that's LJ-based. Everyone knows everyone else, and when someone new joins, then it's a warm, friendly welcome.

While sometimes it is difficult to get comments on a new story if you are a new member, as long as you keep at it, then the comments will come. And they'll come even more if you actually break out of your shell and relax.

Really, TS2 fandom on LJ is one that has a main focus of goofing off and having fun. Heck, I don't even remember a huge fight that was LJ-fandom based, aside from the small itty-bitty wanky bits.

And there's no canon wars. :D

Short answer because: lol work.
  #9503    
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Terragal's Avatar
Terragal
Secretive Trainer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Gender:
Nature: Quirky
Oh gosh, I remember writing my first and only pokémon fanfic, it was alright at first but loads of people hated it! I only had one nice reviewer and it got me down, so I stopped writing fanfiction for Pokémon. Anyway, I love to write but I won't write pokémon fiction on ff.net because I still fear that they will loathe me hehehehe...

I think they hated my character >.<

I write for Gakuen Alice right now, but I want to break out of that fandom for Shugo Chara, and recently I have found urges to start writing a story for pokémon again, but as I said beforehand, I am scared of what others will think. So yeah...

I l-o-o-o-o-ve fanfiction and good writers, but right now I have no time to read or write which irritates me as reading/writing fanfiction is a hobby I enjoy. (I blame school, really)
I do not own Pokémon, I just own Kiori, I swear!!! <3
  #9504    
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:14 PM
An-chan's Avatar
An-chan
Whoops.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?

Let's see. I have had the finished prologue and first chapter of a FF fic on my computer for several weeks now. Every day I play with the idea of actually posting it to other writing, but I also decide - every day - that I'm going to post it later.

...I would go with yes.

Since the realm of Pokémon dragged me into doing this stuff in the first place, I've been having ideas about other fandoms as well. Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, Stargate Atlantis (or Atlåntis, lol), even Naruto, they have all tired to tempt me into writing those drabbles down. But, frankly, I never do write them down. I'd never post them. I'm far too scared to write a fanfic about canon characters, because you never get them right. It's always your personal view of those characters, and I fear that my personal view will not please others...
That's stupid, though, because I don't really write to please others. If that happens, then it's a good thing, but that's not my ultimate goal. I do, however, know that I have to please people with my writing or else I'll never be an author.

Not that I'd write fanfiction for living, though.

...And the point was?

Uh, yeah. I'm going to sleep now. In short: yes, I do get nervous.

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
  #9505    
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I Laugh at your Misfortune!'s Avatar
I Laugh at your Misfortune!
Normal is a synonym for boring
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YOUR MOTHER! (aka: England)
Gender: Male
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound! View Post
Mind if I sling a quick blurb to a concept of mine by you guys?

A tall, well dressed man of about 18 years of age with scruffy, medium length blonde hair sits slouched on an empty, derelict train carriage. It’s dark outside, deeply dark and it keeps playing on his mind. He can’t see the dark as such, he can barely open his left eye and his right is laden with blood from his head. In fact a lot of his person is bloodied and bruised. He’s breathing heavy now, really heavy. It’s not easy breathing with broken ribs. Every hard drawn breath reminds him that, even if it’s only for short while, he is still alive. In his right hand he’s holding a revolver handgun, Colt Python with a royal blue finish. Blue lights flashing near by, sirens wailing as a herd of white and blue cars scream along the highway parallel to the tracks. The man tries to clench the gun but it slips. He knows there’s one bullet in the chamber and is now seriously considering suicide, but decides it wouldn’t be very fitting, besides with the puddle of blood around his feet and the pressure on his lungs he is almost certain he’s just gonna pack in anyway. He winches in pain as he grabs his last cigarette and strikes a match, takes it to the *** in his mouth and inhales. He lets out one long breath.
“We are the youth of today…fitting” he says as he finally blacks out.

I like it. The concept sounds a little like it could become cheesy, but it really could go somewhere good, so I'd like to see a story from this.

On a completely unrelated note, I've recently updated The End of Infinity. Its not a fanfiction, so everyone can read and review. And that's what you must do, because so far, Raibutai is my only reviewer. And as awesome as he is, he's only one man...or woman, I forgot to check. XD. Plus, my entire paragraph is a link to it and its longer than Kenji's :O

EDIT: WOOP 1000th post at last!


Last edited by I Laugh at your Misfortune!; April 9th, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
  #9506    
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?
Yeah. I already mention how I had started writing this one Naruto fic based off one of the filler arcs in the anime but quit because I thought I wrote one of the characters wrong and also I think I got the timeline wrong. I guess I should rewatch that arc a couple of times, but urgh that filler arc is quite long and don't really have time to go through it. Instead I went with a much easier one shot. XD
You make the rain fall
[Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: livebites from DW]
  #9507    
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
.Ozymandias's Avatar
.Ozymandias
Child of Time
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Karnac (in RL, The UK)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?
I'm fortunate that the fandom I decided to join recently is a very friendly community for new members to join. It's the Sims 2 fandom that's LJ-based. Everyone knows everyone else, and when someone new joins, then it's a warm, friendly welcome.

While sometimes it is difficult to get comments on a new story if you are a new member, as long as you keep at it, then the comments will come. And they'll come even more if you actually break out of your shell and relax.

Really, TS2 fandom on LJ is one that has a main focus of goofing off and having fun. Heck, I don't even remember a huge fight that was LJ-fandom based, aside from the small itty-bitty wanky bits.

And there's no canon wars. :D

Short answer because: lol work.
See this fandom is all about perving the hot superhero's, so it's all good. They are a really nice fandom and comm that I've found, but as I say, they are just brilliant writers. That and the fact that I've read the bad!fic in the fandom and boy oh boy is it bad...

I have started the story, gone for something nice and simple, so hopefully it'll all come good. Thanks for the advice, Astinus!

Quote:
Oh gosh, I remember writing my first and only pokémon fanfic, it was alright at first but loads of people hated it! I only had one nice reviewer and it got me down, so I stopped writing fanfiction for Pokémon. Anyway, I love to write but I won't write pokémon fiction on ff.net because I still fear that they will loathe me hehehehe...

I think they hated my character >.<

I write for Gakuen Alice right now, but I want to break out of that fandom for Shugo Chara, and recently I have found urges to start writing a story for pokémon again, but as I said beforehand, I am scared of what others will think. So yeah...

I l-o-o-o-o-ve fanfiction and good writers, but right now I have no time to read or write which irritates me as reading/writing fanfiction is a hobby I enjoy. (I blame school, really)
I was so lucky to have such and awesome beta for A Darker Day; he really encouraged me to start writing it, and he's always brilliant with the new chapters. I think I was pretty relaxed about writing A Darker Day because I've been playing the games for so long and really I was going off on my own little storyline, so it's more like original fiction to me and I could really just get creative.

As the others have said, it's always worth posting it up, we may very well like it! That and the fact that flamers and trolls live in ff.net... And I hear you about school eating up valuble writing/reading time, grrrr stupid uni...

Quote:
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?

Let's see. I have had the finished prologue and first chapter of a FF fic on my computer for several weeks now. Every day I play with the idea of actually posting it to other writing, but I also decide - every day - that I'm going to post it later.

...I would go with yes.

Since the realm of Pokémon dragged me into doing this stuff in the first place, I've been having ideas about other fandoms as well. Phoenix Wright, Final Fantasy, Stargate Atlantis (or Atlåntis, lol), even Naruto, they have all tired to tempt me into writing those drabbles down. But, frankly, I never do write them down. I'd never post them. I'm far too scared to write a fanfic about canon characters, because you never get them right. It's always your personal view of those characters, and I fear that my personal view will not please others...
That's stupid, though, because I don't really write to please others. If that happens, then it's a good thing, but that's not my ultimate goal. I do, however, know that I have to please people with my writing or else I'll never be an author.

Not that I'd write fanfiction for living, though.

...And the point was?

Uh, yeah. I'm going to sleep now. In short: yes, I do get nervous.
I know that feeling, I have about 8/9 one-shots for fandoms varying from Harry Potter to Lord of the Rings and everything in between, but I look at them and wonder, will I ever post them? I know I probably wont, but I'd like to think that one day I will.

Quote:
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?
Yeah. I already mention how I had started writing this one Naruto fic based off one of the filler arcs in the anime but quit because I thought I wrote one of the characters wrong and also I think I got the timeline wrong. I guess I should rewatch that arc a couple of times, but urgh that filler arc is quite long and don't really have time to go through it. Instead I went with a much easier one shot. XD
See this is my problem; I've seen the film, read the book, I even own the book that goes with the film and have read it cover to cover, and I still feel like I'm missing parts of my knowledge. I know the characters I want to write inside out, but the canon has such a huge backstory I'm worried about missing something. I was planning a one-shot with a song as a theme, and I'm hoping I can't screw it up too much in a few pages!




Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny



Theme


Last edited by .Ozymandias; April 10th, 2009 at 12:16 AM. Reason: because apparently I can't see the extra 2 posts *headdesk*
  #9508    
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Best City OCE
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?
Probably will when I write that PW fic in future. >_<

Or maybe I should make use of my holidays and start now.
Brony represent.
  #9509    
Old April 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
I'm really just posting to get views for my eggs. No clicks necessary. Just look at them. And perhaps suggest names? D;

I was in my "think tank" a few minutes ago, and my thoughts lead me to think about this forum. Now, I haven't been the most active person over here. (Blame my adorable little Sim!Andy and his babby Orson. x3) But hey, I can always make an effort to do things to make it so that I became mod for some reason.

So you're going to see some changes happening around here. Some are completely in my control. Some aren't. We'll see.

No hints have been buried around here. And I won't be starting tonight because...um...Sims. ;^;

Like I said, no clicks necessary.
  #9510    
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:04 PM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Mmm. Changes. Reminds me of the time I first posted here and you subsequently closed the lounge for a remodel, making me think it was my fault. Man did I freak out. XD

I'm afraid you're going to have to name one of them "Dr. Device."

  #9511    
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
.Ozymandias's Avatar
.Ozymandias
Child of Time
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Karnac (in RL, The UK)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
*frantically clicks on dragon eggs*

Oooh, Astinus, you tease! Can't wait to see what you have up your sleevies.

You could make Sims of us, how you imagine we look!




Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny



Theme

  #9512    
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Best City OCE
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Astinus, you're making dragon slaves out of us. (That sounded...off.)

Astinus, you're making us slaves to you and your dragon eggs.

So there are changes...eh? I've never really seen any except in my beloved ROM hacking section. =D Which was terrible damn you haraken

Hang on, you're making us feel good so we'll do your bidding! > -Wentface-

...

-clickie-
Brony represent.
  #9513    
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:52 AM
bobandbill's Avatar
bobandbill
Where's that sheep...
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central Coast - Australia
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Jolly
Send a message via AIM to bobandbill Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bobandbill
Quote:
I'm really just posting to get views for my eggs. No clicks necessary. Just look at them. And perhaps suggest names? D;
Charles, and Mr. Whiskers. =P

But changes, you say? Interesting... hopefully there are many pastries involved with these 'changes'. =P
Quote:
You could make Sims of us, how you imagine we look!
Oh lord... XD

Do you get nervous when first starting out in a new fandom?

Well, I've only ever done Pokemon thus far... I wasn't that nervious so to speak when I started (probably because I didn't know any better or something XD), but whenever I submit a new chapter, I do have a bit of a queasy feeling - just happens, really. Guess I wonder if my chapter will entertain and all - being as slow as I am, jokes sometimes seem a bit old after I've looked at them too many times.

And maybe a new topic which I stole off from elsewhere, because I like reusing my own topics, darn it.
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Myself, I've kept the two teams in Pokemon Colosseum for my fic - Team Snagem, and Cipher. Team Snagem doesn't get that much screen-time given the nature of their role in the game, but I've had a fair bit on Cipher, also showing how the story unfolds from their side as well.


  #9514    
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

There's an organization in the Eon Chronicles dedicated to capturing Latias and Latios and killing their partners. No organization name, either: their intent is to prevent people from knowing they exist.

  #9515    
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Best City OCE
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Yeah, I'm going to involve Team Rocket except more gangsterly.

Man, I need to get back to my fic.
Brony represent.
  #9516    
Old April 13th, 2009, 04:49 AM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
Man, I need to get back to my fic.
Tell me about it. I think I've lost all but one of my readers. '

  #9517    
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
Those aren't Easter eggs, Astinus! :O Hey, it's Easter Monday today, so yeah.

If there are going to be changes, I assume there's going to be beer, music, and dancers involve. XD;

Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Not yet, but have been planning one story where an established 11 year old girl trainer gets involved in this situation where a team (canon or made up I haven't decide yet) is trying to get her. So far it isn't working. >.>In fact, I remember asking one time about how to make a good team. XD
You make the rain fall
[Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet] [ Tumblr]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: livebites from DW]
  #9518    
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Feign's Avatar
Feign
Clain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Nature: Quirky
If you really wanted to make it disturbing (and to eb away from canon-comedy) you can make this team really sadistic. Should I say to go as far as killing pokemon just for fun? >.> To make it worse, instead of involving crazy machines, use simple things like sharp knives (for the plushy ones; and I think I am now sounding like a Joker-like villan, or Hannibal).

Ooooo I just thought of something, not sure if it has been done (though I bet it has), but a fic about Zombie Pokemon, lol.
  #9519    
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:49 AM
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
As usual, supporting any changes that don't involve me getting naked (but may or may not involve the rest of you doing so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?
Absolutely. I'm a Rocket girl, even if the region in question isn't Rocket territory. (I swear, there's a reason why Giovanni is sending Rockets into quarantined Hoenn, other than to find a creative way to get rid of failgrunts although that's totally what he's doing.) Alternatively, I create my own organizations, but these aren't usually the Team Evil kind. They're usually either cults (in occasional fic ideas), political alliances (planned AEM sequel), or the entire damn city. (Oh, Verona. You and your plethora of political parties that all try to kill each other via gang wars.)

The way I see it, evil organizations are a convenient trope to have in Pokémon fanfiction. You're practically expected to have one, so you've pretty much got a ready-made Big Bad, so long as you're creative enough to alter the details and not make your entire team of antagonists essentially like Ye Olde Evil Teame. As a result, you've got the reader focusing on what's clearly evil to drive the plot forward while this gives you the opportunity to mindscrew them if you're particularly evil yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feign View Post
Ooooo I just thought of something, not sure if it has been done (though I bet it has), but a fic about Zombie Pokemon, lol.
As far as I can recall, it hasn't been done in a finished work. I think there's a couple on FFNet that deal with zombies but aren't actually complete (or well-known), and I'm pretty sure an idea thread a few months back asked if it'd be a good idea. Alas, nothing was made of that either. Which is a shame because, come on. ZOMBIES. This fandom needs a good zombie apocalypse.
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #9520    
Old April 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Feign's Avatar
Feign
Clain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Nature: Quirky
Well once I get the time, perhaps I may write a one shot. Funnily enough, the only survivors would be Ghost Pokemon, assuming of course, the Zombie Pokemon are not so smart to use non normal attacks, to at least kill them. Or what I could do within the one shot, is various scenes around the world, including the demise of Ash and friends XD

EDIT: And I'd have to go all out, and make it as graphically disturbing as possible (within the rules of course).

Lol my ideas are running wild... poor pokeverse... no one will be spared...

Would you not want to read the demise of Mew-two, or dare I say... Dialga and Palkia? XD >.>

All it would take is one weak bite attack, and if you've got hordes of the pokemon coming after you... well...

Its too bad Unowns don't have teeth though, I suppose once they're infected, they might only be good for ramming and usual psychic attacks.

I'm also thinking to write it out in a time displaced manner. That is to say, the various paragraphs will not be in order from creation to destruction, but rather small snippets of both.

Last edited by Feign; April 13th, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
  #9521    
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Elite Overlord LeSabre™'s Avatar
Elite Overlord LeSabre™
Classic Elegance
Community Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 13470 East Independence Blvd.
Age: 88
Nature: Quirky
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Yep, I made up my own evil organization based loosely around fanatical religious cults. The group would operate churches where the leader himself would preach propaganda disguises as sermons, and command foot soldiers and administrators to carry out schemes that required a "hands-on" approach.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
PC Vital Stats
* Pair
* PC Family
* Bishies
* VG Claims
* Friend Codes
Links
* Blog
* Web Site
* Fan Fictions:
* Leaf Green LP
Friend Safari:
*GMC Safari
*Pontiac Safari
*Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
  #9522    
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Frigate's Avatar
Frigate
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Sort of. I have a "team" that uses force to pursue its agenda and hopes to alter history, but it's not entirely negative.
  #9523    
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:13 PM
An-chan's Avatar
An-chan
Whoops.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

Heck yeah. My evil team was formed by an architecht who was brought up to be an extremely competitive and profit-minded by his father. As a result, he is a very cold person and ready to do almost anything to gain profit - hence the "evil" - and is also very rich due to his company - hence the "team" - and has discovered the possible possibilities of the ablities of Legendary Pokémon - hence the "Pokémon". So, it's an evil Pokémon team.

But I don't believe in such thing as evil for pure evil, I think there's a reason and motive for everything. So, even though I might never explain it in my fic, I still have to know why the evil team is evil, why people join it and why it was formed. I don't like the idea of killing Pokémon with sharp knives for pure fun, because to me, it doesn't sound all that credible. Maybe if the team hates Pokémon more than anything because something has happened or something, then they can go around with sharp knives and kill random critters that cross their path. That's more credible. To me, at least.

So, yeah, I spend hours on creating backstories that will never see the daylight. I need it to maintain my peace of mind... I can't write about a character if I don't know who they are and why so, I just can't. I've even made up nasty details of Brice Ackland's childhood... His younger brother definitely had it easier, but it was mostly because they have different personalities. Oh man, I could talk about the Ackland family and their drama for hours, because I literally spent hours thinking it through. I have every single detail, sibling, age, Pokémon and relationship thought through. Does anyone else do that?

On an unrelated note, Cimi is actually related to the Acklands. Too bad her grandmother was born outside of marriage even though her mother was indeed married. So, no money for her. Interesting y/n?

I'm going to shut up now.

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
  #9524    
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Feign's Avatar
Feign
Clain
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by An-chan View Post
I have every single detail, sibling, age, Pokémon and relationship thought through. Does anyone else do that?
I think if I ended up doing that, the backstory would either become more tragic or boring (or a bit of both).

And right now I really want to start my Zombie fic, however my essay is hanging over me like a dagger.
  #9525    
Old April 13th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Have you ever written any stories involving criminal Pokemon gangs, whether they are canon-based or made up (e.g. Team Rocket, Cipher, Team Imgoingtothrowapieinyourface, etc)?

The characters in my Pokemon fanfic don't lend themselves well to any other kind of conflict that can carry an entire multi-chapter fic, so...yes. My fics have the Rockets, and two teams that I kinda pulled outta my ass made up.

The last team, by the way, would sound better if it was I'MA GONNA THROW A PIE IN YA FACE!!11@?!#@@?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by An-chan View Post
I have every single detail, sibling, age, Pokémon and relationship thought through. Does anyone else do that?
Nope. I write as I go, with as little planning as possible. My characters have very little back story to them, unless it's necessary to the plot.

That's only my Pokemon characters, though. ;< Other fandoms that I write in? The characters that are my own, I know a lot about. The canon characters (especially one in particular from a certain book series!) I try to know as much as I can, and fill in the holes where possible. (For some characters, I even let their Sim personalities help me out. Not too much, though, for then a certain book character who is a "genius" would be going "HOW I WALK AROUND HOUSE??!?!?!" and waving his arms all the dang time.)

This could be why I'm not as proud of my Pokemon fics as I am of my fics for other fandoms.

-

Now, about the changes that I talked about: I couldn't get on PC during the time I was sitting around bored, so I couldn't implement said changes yet. I'm going to try, even though I have work the rest of this week.

Also, I have to fix my Sims game. Something borked in it last night, so now I have to abort babies. (HOW IS BABBY ABORTED?!?!?!?!??!?!? WITH A GRILL!!!!!!!11!)
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 09:34 AM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.