The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.


Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #9776    
Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Remember how hated those who spoil are in a fandom? XD

But I know how you feel, because I feel that way as well. My fics get so much better later on in the plot, but the beginning chapters are dreadful, so I want to shout from the rooftops that *spoiler* is really awesome and great and well-worth the crap, but I can't.

The best you can do is think over what you say before you post it in your thread. Write a response, but before you Submit Reply, take a few minutes to think it over and see if there's another way to say what you want to say without giving away spoilers.

...

Sage, Asty. Sage.

Gasp! Plot bunnies are on the attack, but you've got a brainchild to save! How do you keep from wandering off onto those other stories and leaving a poor abandoned fanfiction neglected and in the cold?
It should be quite obvious to those that know me that I don't like children. :D Even my own.

I write what I write when I want to write it. And nyah-nyah to those starving older children of mine. They can take care of themselves.

Okay, I can't answer this question without mentioning my Sims, so...

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?
Val got my thoughts down exactly again.

I should also add that I hate when characterization or a good ending to the story is sacrificed for the sake of the author's personal views. It's nice and all that the author has their beliefs, and that in itself doesn't bother me, but to read about a character acting in a different way that doesn't match up with the way that they've acted in four other books just to fit in with the author's ideals, it annoys the frell out of me.

This kind of fits in with An-chan's rant on romance fics where characters are OOC. It's possible to write in-character fics where two characters get together (unless said character is actually asexual, like the one I'm thinking of from Watchmen, because those characters typically don't get in relationships because that's just how they are. There are of course those asexuals who do get in relationships [romantic as opposed to aromantic] and then there are the indifferent romantics who are still asexual but still... Moving on) but it depends on the personality/age/maturity of said character.

If a character is not one who can readily get in a relationship, especially a romantic one, then it will take either a skilled writer to get them in a healthy relationship, or the author shouldn't paint the relationship as a healthy one when it isn't. Or at least make it believable. That's the main thing I'm looking for in a relationship, even if the people in it are damaged to where the relationship isn't a happy fully healthy one. Just as long as it seems like the relationship is progressing at a natural rate, and that the two in it are ready for that level of relationship (in other words, a character who has never been close to anyone before in their life suddenly getting into a romantic relationship without any thought process behind why they suddenly feel that way), then it's fine.

But like I said, I've seen published authors do that level of fail in relationships.

*sets death glare toward future hometown*

Guys, never ask me what I think of Ender in Exile. Never.
__________________
  #9777    
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
Thanks, Jax. If only I actually have the drive to finish "Destiny's Tricks." ;

Gasp! Plot bunnies are on the attack, but you've got a brainchild to save! How do you keep from wandering off onto those other stories and leaving a poor abandoned fanfiction neglected and in the cold?

Pretty much those plot bunnies are of one shots, shorts, so I just go write them. I wrote like four one shots while working NE.

The plot bunnies that would work better for longer works, though, I just write them down on a notebook and hopefully will get to that work after finishing the fic I'm working at the moment. However, when working both "Destiny's Tricks" and NE at the same time, I went with DT first and then after losing inspiration and suddenly on a suspense/mystery sugar high, went back to NE. XD

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?
Same with Jax's complaint about lead male and female character OTP. Just because a male and female are going together, doesn't mean there has to be romance. I'm planning an OT fic where the lead male and female character are going to travel together, but there will be no romance between them. Basically they have to because they're on the run from an organization/cult. That, and also the lead male is a sixteen year old established trainer while the female is an eleven year old trainer going to her second gym challenge at a new region. XD;

And oh, this is coming from the reviews of NE: THAT EVERY ENDING HAS TO BE EPIC. True, we all like confrontations, the world coming to an end, and all that jazz. However, not all stories have to call for that. If you're doing an epic ending just cause it's cool, then no. Endings basically have to somehow connect everything that happened in the story. And yes, I'm fine if it goes either the happy or tragic route. For the most part all of the endings I have done ends with with the characters learning something from their actions (whether they have been redeemed, off the hook,etc. is a whole 'other story).

*suddenly gets mangled by tragic ending fans*
__________________
→Spark. Flash. Flame.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
  #9778    
Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:40 PM
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurincha View Post
...Yet it sounds so FREAKING HILARIOUS when you say it. How do you do this, Jax? How do you always do this? I just can't comprehend.
Sheer talent. ;D

Also, being half-cracked from overwork tends to help too.

Quote:
Did that help you, Jax, my dear?
...It sounds a lot like what I do frequently. XD

Quote:
I think Misty x Ash is a cute shipping and all, but it's just so not Ash to run around crying and getting depressed over Misty - or any other girl, really. Ash is just not like that.
YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astinus View Post
Guys, never ask me what I think of Ender in Exile. Never.
What do you think of Ender in Exile? You can tell Orson Scott Card. ;D
__________________
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #9779    
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:14 AM
An-chan's Avatar
An-chan
Whoops.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Anyway, I've had a problem for a while now (gee, really txt?). I've planned so far ahead with one of my fics that it's killing me to keep the plot contained in my brain. And it's taking me so long to write up to those points that I feel like just clicking into my fic thread and going "holy crap this is all the awesome stuff that's about to happen!" In other words, I've got an itchy trigger finger, and my gun's firing spoilers. Is there any way to alleviate the tension without ruining my fic for my readers?
Hey, I have the exact same problem. Since the beginning of Mama's Boy, I've been planning this ultra mega super huge plot twist. It's an unexpectable event that turns everything upside down for a while and everything, so ever since I posted the prologue, I've been feeling like spoiling it. In fact, I'm having a hard time resisting the urge right now. Although, I don't think many of you read MB, so it wouldn't be that bad... Right? I can tell you, right? RIGHT?

But, well, I try to direct that spoiling energy into writing the fic until I actually reach the awesome stuff I want to spoil. Right now, my huge twist is two chapters away and I'm currently writing it, but I notice that I've piled too much expectations on myself. I'm scared that I'll blow the whole thing with my over-enthusiasm.

After that, I'll write tons of battles. Yeeeah, battles. I don't write enough of those right now. My fics are static.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine
Sheer talent. ;D
I know. That's what scares me!

That aside, your new username reminds me of Vincent Valentine rather than Ender's sister. Maybe that's because I'm trying to write a FF7 fic. It's not working out so well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay
And oh, this is coming from the reviews of NE: THAT EVERY ENDING HAS TO BE EPIC. True, we all like confrontations, the world coming to an end, and all that jazz. However, not all stories have to call for that. If you're doing an epic ending just cause it's cool, then no. Endings basically have to somehow connect everything that happened in the story. And yes, I'm fine if it goes either the happy or tragic route. For the most part all of the endings I have done ends with with the characters learning something from their actions (whether they have been redeemed, off the hook,etc. is a whole 'other story).
Ahhh. I'm writing a piece of fantasy-ish original fiction right now, and it has nothing to do with saving the world from an evil overlord. However, almost all fantasy novels have epic endings where the hero saves the world with his (or hers, but mostly his) POWER OF LIGHT/GOOD/LOVE/whatnot, and I get the feeling people won't like my story because only individual lives are saved. YOU GIVE ME HOPE! Someone agrees that not all stories have to be epic ;_; Being epic would really ruin the whole story in this case, because it doesn't suit the protagonist at all.

That said, I definitely prefer happy endings. I like my endings happy at least on some level. There can be sad things, maddening things and so on, but I hate it when books or movies or series end in a sad way (DAMN YOU COLD FEET!), because I tend to think the ending over for weeks and sometimes I even cry because of it. That's not nice. I don't like it. I want at least somewhat happy endings, please.
It's so unfulfilling to read three hundred pages and find out that the character gets killed because of their mistakes or that in fact nobody survived. Or that the bad guy went unpunished and bad things happened to the protagonists who tried their best. Or something like that. Sometimes it is a good way to add power to the teaching of the story, though.

...I write way too much with caps nowadays, don't I?

*throws gasoline into a fire*
So, Astinus, what are your thoughts on Ender in Exile?
__________________

Fanfiction:Mama's Boy|World Saviour Sora-chan (parody)|
One shots: The Elevator|Once in a Forest Fire|

I'm currently more reachable at The BBS.
You should come, too. We have cookies. No, seriously!
  #9780    
Old May 4th, 2009, 06:53 AM
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurincha View Post
That aside, your new username reminds me of Vincent Valentine rather than Ender's sister.
Strangely enough, I wasn't actually naming myself after Valentine Wiggin, either. I was naming myself after the character from MirrorMask. XD

Quote:
Maybe that's because I'm trying to write a FF7 fic. It's not working out so well.
Aww. ;_; Why not?
__________________
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #9781    
Old May 4th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurincha View Post
*throws gasoline into a fire*
So, Astinus, what are your thoughts on Ender in Exile?
Speaking of endings, a word which I totally always capitalize, the ending to that book fell flat.

Card tried to put too much in that book. Before it was released, people were lead to believe that the main plot of the book would be what would happen after Andrew reaches the first colony world, because what happens on that world pretty much drives the plot of Speaker For the Dead. Also, Card himself said that what happens on the next world that Andy and Val go to was going to be the main focus of the book, and it even says so on the (rather hilarious) book jacket.

Instead, the book deals mainly with what happens before Andy and Val even reach the first world where Andy's governor. So there's a lot of build-up with characters who are interesting in the beginning of that book who get no closure because they were introduced in the beginning of the book (with a full given history and everything), became damn near main characters because of how much they did, and yet just kind of disappeared in the middle of the book because Card realised that he actually had another plot to include in one book.

So both parts of the plot (what happens before the first colony world on the spaceship and the colony worlds) are rushed to fit into one book. So the main part of EiE (what Andy finds on the first colony world that drives the rest of the series, in a way) is rushed and falls flat, because Card focused more on getting to that point, and also had another plot that gave some closure to the Shadow series to include.

Really, the entire book could have been split into two separate books, giving Card time to focus on each part and giving a satisfying ending.

Instead, the actual ending of EiE is short. Big emotional scenes are given nothing, and entire changes of characterization (a character realizing that his entire life was full of lies) is simply brushed away and given no thought because it was close to the end of the book, and Card probably ran out of pages. Or was tired. (The man plays a lot of video games and watches a lot of television, y'know.) It's just pushed aside and given nothing more.

So really, the entire book is missing a lot of what was in Card's older works.

I would say more, but then that would just be getting into spoilers, and also making me want to write fanfiction. holy crap, protectorshipping <3<3<3
__________________
  #9782    
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:05 AM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
DOUBLE POST OH MY GOD WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON WHY IS THE MOD DOUBLE POSTING????!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It's to let everyone know that if you people don't want to murder yet another idea you all wanted, then y'all should really do your schoolwork first, and then once everything dies down and you all stop wanting to slit your wrists because school sucks I love being out of school! :D:D:D:D:D, then y'all can start beating me up with your nom-nom-nominations for the next FFotM for June.

Also, you may beat me up for this post, because I know that I am an ass. XD

School work first, y'all.
__________________
  #9783    
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:49 AM
.Ozymandias's Avatar
.Ozymandias
Child of Time
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Karnac (in RL, The UK)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
School work = FAIL.

Gasp! Plot bunnies are on the attack, but you've got a brainchild to save! How do you keep from wandering off onto those other stories and leaving a poor abandoned fanfiction neglected and in the cold?

I am incredibly bad at doing this - starting something new and never finishing anything. I'm getting better, but previously I follow the bunny and ignore the other story until a bunny comes along for that.

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?


Out of character rubbish and woobifying the vicious characters. A good bad example was a Rorschach/OFC fic I read, where he cried because she kissed him. I screamed so loud my husband came in from the garden to see if I was alright...
__________________




Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny



Theme


Last edited by .Ozymandias; May 5th, 2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: because my return key hates me
  #9784    
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:39 PM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet


Yes it does. Anyway, I came up with this crazy insane idea the other day when a couple of buddies and I were geeking out and bouncing ideas for superpowers off of each other (we had just seen the new Wolverine movie). We (as in we fanfic writers, not we my buddies and I) should totally have a bounce-ideas-off-of-each-other thread. It would solve my problem of feeling like my head is going to explode with all these spoilers I have, and telling people your ideas a) lets you solidify them in your mind and b) lets other people point out possible problems with said ideas.

Watch this already exist.
__________________

  #9785    
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
JX Valentine's Avatar
JX Valentine
Your aquatic overlord
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Harassing Bill
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Nature: Bold
Send a message via AIM to JX Valentine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to JX Valentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Yes it does. Anyway, I came up with this crazy insane idea the other day when a couple of buddies and I were geeking out and bouncing ideas for superpowers off of each other (we had just seen the new Wolverine movie). We (as in we fanfic writers, not we my buddies and I) should totally have a bounce-ideas-off-of-each-other thread. It would solve my problem of feeling like my head is going to explode with all these spoilers I have, and telling people your ideas a) lets you solidify them in your mind and b) lets other people point out possible problems with said ideas.

Watch this already exist.
Oddly enough, I proposed a plot bunny thread to take care of the flood of idea threads we get periodically not too long ago via Asty's and my VMs. Then, we both paused for a moment, laughed about it, and went back to talking about setting sim children on fire.
__________________
Professional ninja. May or may not actually be back. Here for the snark and banter at most.

Need some light reading?
Anima Ex Machina (Chapter 20 now available)
The Leaf Green Incident (SWC 2012 winner)
Braid (Creepypasta apparently)
Domain | Dreamwidth | Twitter
  #9786    
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
Oddly enough, I proposed a plot bunny thread to take care of the flood of idea threads we get periodically not too long ago via Asty's and my VMs. Then, we both paused for a moment, laughed about it, and went back to talking about setting sim children on fire.
My friend is actually doing the plot bunny thread at Serebii and it seems to be working fine, but it's a test run at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post

Yes it does. Anyway, I came up with this crazy insane idea the other day when a couple of buddies and I were geeking out and bouncing ideas for superpowers off of each other (we had just seen the new Wolverine movie). We (as in we fanfic writers, not we my buddies and I) should totally have a bounce-ideas-off-of-each-other thread. It would solve my problem of feeling like my head is going to explode with all these spoilers I have, and telling people your ideas a) lets you solidify them in your mind and b) lets other people point out possible problems with said ideas.
Heh, I suggest Astinus an idea thread where you can get your ideas critique, like the one in Serebii, but she said the people can do that in the lounge here. So far no one is doing that...:X
__________________
→Spark. Flash. Flame.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
  #9787    
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:09 PM
solovino's Avatar
solovino
RAWR~❤
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: behind that truck
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Sorry for being away for so long. I spent some days in «collaborative zombie» mode at collegue. Web servers work again, IRC channel has an extra integrity layer, and a content management for edics and announcements has been integrated. It's just that I don't remember how I did it, let alone if it was me who did it.

Way a way to spend my birthday...

So, about the questions, I have some stupid answers for them...

What do you hate most in fan-fictions?

Blatant and ridiculous OOCness, of course, it gets on my nerves. Blatant OOCness alone, on the other hand, I think I can handle. Also I greatly dislike when a potentially interesting idea out-of-universe is exposed but never explored. Like, you know, Darth Tyrannus says "Hey, Master, why don't we also try our powers in the filed of telemarketing, for a change?" but then it never happens (yes, I know that would go WAAAAAY OOC, but it was just an example). Like essentially it makes me feel I am being baited and that I am nothing more that an extra point for the "Views" statistic.

I also hate hate HATE when ff authors write a battle and don't give the defining blast/cut/summon/whatever the appropiate exposition. Things like, "Goku screamed 'Kamehameha'! and then the planet exploded. Everyone died but they were revived again anyways -- sans the bad guys, as it always happens; and people would have not a clue how close were their collective asses to be turned into subatomical dust, so they lived happily thereafter. The end."

Going to the line of romance, there are not explicit thing I straight hate, but I guess I really don't like when "romance" is thrown into a story in a very "down-to-Earth" way. For me, romance in a story is about the feeling the characters have and how they act about it in defining moments, how acts of heroism are inspired by the melodious voice of a woman, and how the hero chooses to remain in his homeland because it was a sacred place his/her parents died together fighting for. I definitively don't need to know that the story's lead (or beta) couple have been living together in an apartment since one month ago and thay they're having an argument right now, about what kind of crockery or tableware of any sort are they going to buy. That's common, completely expectable, and quite dull everyday's life, so for that I have people's families, including sometimes my own.

Heh, I suggest Astinus an idea thread where you can get your ideas critique, like the one in Serebii, but she said the people can do that in the lounge here. So far no one is doing that...:X

That's because you (yes, me too) all LOVE offtopicness here... I mean, come on, orgy, Sentrets, pimpy Lugias and all... :D

So...

Want an idea to discuss? Want an idea to laught at? Well I'll soon post one.

NO!!! IT SHALL BE.... TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111


When I do fanfiction, I end up expanding so much in backstory that it becomes a story on its own. So to prevent it from going wild again in my head, I have to write it down. I did. I've already been planning for some time and actually some chapters are already written, albeit quite loosely. Actually, due to services provided in the line of Intertubes Duty, I have been ordered suggested by Dark Lord of the Sith AC Coda X Scarlet Weather to have it handed to him for BR, but I thought it would be interesting to post it here for a little bit of extra examination.

Pokémon-fandom, mainly non-canon region, Legendaries as in "Legend", PG-15 or maybe PG-17, depending on how violent do battles turn out, a bit of romance, a bit of comedy, but mostly battles, not the Tournament kind.
The basic idea is that of an Organization, kinda like a secret society, formed by Trainers, Watchers and the like, who are willing to protect specific ruins scattered across the World with more direct force than other like the Pokémon Rangers would do. What these landmarks are and why they protect them is someting they keep for themselves-- to the public opinion, they are the "ruin zealots" who sixty years ago rebelled against a corporate government and reached the point of offering their services to the neighbor, almost-enemy country/region.

This group is actually the newest iteration of the organization that was disbanded generations ago, and its purpose is different from the previous group although both are connected to the ruins they protect. Currently the group and its four members siphon resources from a wider and more public organization with similar alignment.

The Organization is led by Lead Female Character who remains in the shadows, she is known to the other members, but remains hidden to the outside world and the audience. Two of the members of this Organization, Boy and Girl1, have been spending some time together because of the tassks they are assigned to, as in this Organization, members work and travel in pairs like in Akatsuki, but for a different reason. Of course that menas that Girl2 feels a bit unfair that she has to always go with the Leader (or worse, alone).

In time, Boy and Girl have begun seeing each other in a different light, openly intending to learn more from each other and attain a closer relationship than one of "clanship". But not only they have their hands full with family, collegue and secret society; their Pokémon won't let them do anyways-- actually (*twist twist*) it is the members' Pokémon, beginning with the Leader's Starter, who run the organization instead of the humans, who are there to allow Pokémon to operate in a world where transportation, trade and commerce are designed for humans to handle. Not that humans don't know they are being "manipulated"; rather, they believe it is them who genuinely came up with the ideal and that their Pokémon happily and naively follow.

As tasks such as terminating a group of poachers that local LEOs don't want to deal with, or prevent a team of explorers from discovering a specific cave during the filming of their documentary become more difficult, a strain is put on the Organization. So the Leader('s Pokémon) decides fresh blood is needed to and definitively revive the Organization. One of the members then offers to manipulate a public system of community service for Trainers (let's call it a "Social Board" for Trainers) so that they can use it and study potential prospects. To that end, a sort of "contest" is organized where willing Trainers will have to provide specific services tailored to measure specific capabilities.

Of course, the Pokémon of the Organization decide they have to step in and make sure they are the ones who get to judge whether Guest Character A, B or C are fit to the organization's One True Secret Purpose, while keeping the humans thinking that they are the ones who make the choices. But... why would random Pokémon gather and bring their Trainers along to follow That One True Purpose? Maybe it is a legend that links the birth of their homeland to a specific group of Pokémon to their species, who long ago offered their help to a God. And, as with all legends, that legend may, or may not, have some truth in it.

----

There. Something to think about. I can expand on it more, of course, depending on interest shown and what is needed, and it will help me rewrite one thing or two to begin the story with the right foot.

The "Pokémon are the actual cabal" thing is the one little particular twist that I want to work on and expand, maybe to make it the trait that separates my story from (part of) the rest.

The romance between the two specific characters and the siphoning from a larger organization are some of the elements that I work on that will use to have some of the mechanics of the Organization explored: how do they keep in touch, if they have particular markings or manners, how are new members recruited, why are their Pokémon on the lead, things like that.
__________________
Solovino / Venia Silente's Activity
Works
Fics
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
  #9788    
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
The reason no one is posting their ideas in this thread?

Because everyone thinks they are so ~*~SPECHUL~*~ that their idea needs to get ~*~INDIVIDUAL~*~ attention so that people who are much smarter than them can tell them what's wrong with their ~*~SPECHUL INDIVIDUAL SPARKLY~*~ idea and they go ~*~EMO~*~ and ~*~FLOUNCE~*~.

So a sticky thread and a moderator who tells people that no you aren't a ~*~SPECHUL~*~SPARKLY~*~EMO~*~PRETTY~*~SNOWFLAKE~*~ will make it so that no one posts their ideas, and people will then complain that there's no one to talk to about their ~*~PRETTY~*~PRETTY~*~IDEAS~*~.

I'm bitter. And had to cut out a few swears. Sorry. :(

:(

Kill me, by the way.

Actually, no wait. There's a whole list of people that I want to repeatedly stab in the face because they annoy the hell out of me first.

DELETING POSTS IS SERIOUS EFFIN' BUSINESS, PEOPLE.
__________________

Last edited by Astinus; May 5th, 2009 at 09:26 PM.
  #9789    
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Solovino's stuff
Sounds pretty interesting. I'd try to read it. No major problems with your synopsis, so...yeah.

Quote:
The reason no one is posting their ideas in this thread?
Spoilers, mostly. I didn't really want to post major plot points and then have one of my readers come across it. I guess that's kind of an inherent risk, though.
__________________

  #9790    
Old May 6th, 2009, 01:24 AM
Astinus's Avatar
Astinus
Remember NovEnder
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Connecticut, USA
Age: 27
Gender: Male
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse View Post
Spoilers, mostly. I didn't really want to post major plot points and then have one of my readers come across it. I guess that's kind of an inherent risk, though.
It is a risk, but if you have a problem with a future scene in a fic, or if you just want to give all the details of an idea, then spoilers are rather difficult to avoid. The best you can do is warn that your post contains spoilers for your fic and place them under a spoiler. That's the best you can do, and then it's their own problem if they click on them and read something that might spoil a surprise for the fic.

You can, however, get those people who haven't read your fic yet for whatever reason to respond to your plot points/ideas/problems with your fic, giving you advice without having the story ruined by spoilers.

But then again, spoilers are a difficult thing to avoid online. (Which is why people became hermits when the last Harry Potter book was coming out.) So, there's always that to consider.
__________________
  #9791    
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
I like that idea a lot, Solovino. I just love how you mixed a lot of elements like watchers of ruins, organizations, and a tournament together. Me likey. True, mixing too many things in one story can make it confusing, but if done right, it'll be epic. The only minor criticism is the Pokemon being the leaders of the organization. I love the twist, but more background info on that, like how and why the Pokemon are the leaders in the first place. Er, does that make sense? ;
__________________
→Spark. Flash. Flame.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
  #9792    
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Swift!'s Avatar
Swift!
The Swiftiest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Docile
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last stepped foot in the Fanfiction Lounge, but I have recently run into a lot of free time and so I was wondering if their were any long or complete fanfics that you guys would recommend reading. Preferrably something here at PC.
__________________
Creator of PC's Prettiest Profile Contest
  #9793    
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
txteclipse's Avatar
txteclipse
Zero
Community Supporter Tier 3
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Swift View Post
Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I last stepped foot in the Fanfiction Lounge, but I have recently run into a lot of free time and so I was wondering if their were any long or complete fanfics that you guys would recommend reading. Preferrably something here at PC.
Mine Any of Dragonfree's stuff is rather good, what little I saw of Anima Ex Machina was good, what little I saw of Trinity was good, and there's this really old fic called Me and My Flame that I'm enjoying quite thoroughly, but you won't find that one here. Otherwise I honestly don't read a ton of stuff.

In other news, remakes of Gold and Silver announced! *fanfare*
__________________


Last edited by txteclipse; May 7th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
  #9794    
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:39 PM
solovino's Avatar
solovino
RAWR~❤
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: behind that truck
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by txteclipse
J/K, txt!

I support (wholehartedly) the suggestion with regards to Dragonfree's stuff. I only recently started to read AEM so I can't say anything about it.

Also, yay :D for HeartGold and SoulSilver. Names come a little bit strange though. I'm going to stretch it a little and call in MindCrystal *coughPropheticTitlecough* as well...

---

Now, W/R on my own stuff, thanks txt and Bay for the comments. And I understand the doubts that can stem from the overall idea of the Pokémon being the ones in charge. I guess it can't hurt a bit to go a little bit deeper about the cabal subject here, if it is for the story, and what the h€¢k I love to discuss these kind of stuff anyways...

The thing is, the Pokémon are not the leaders, they are something more like the Executive Committe. The Organization is emimently a human thing, however its history, origins and One True Purpose are something for Pokémon to understand and handle: it was born from a legend they follow, and they keep the humans working "in the right direction".

But this I'm going to enclose in SPOILER tags. It's not that much of a big stuff, but it may feel like I'm giving away the prologue when it is mostly exposition on the M.O.

Spoiler:

The previous iterations of the Organization originated from a legend that narrates how the first cities in the land of the adventure came to be. Long story short, a powerful human warrior chose to serve to a Deity so that the first settlements in the region could be established. Something happened, the pact was broken badly, and the Deity had to flee to fight a war against other deities. The warrior tried to restore the pact by praying to the Deity for all eternity. His Pokémon were so disraught that they would not be allowed to help or make their master company, that they protected the secluded settlement designated for the eternal prayer for eternity too, in the hopes that one day the Deity would come back from Its War and return the warrior to them in gratitude.

Eventually similar ruins would appear in other lands, no one knowing who erected them or why. And most people were respectful enough of the "Original Pact" between human and Pokémon (the one referenced in the Canalave Library) that they would not delve deeper.

Cut to more recent times...

Over the course of several generations, some Pokémon have inherited this duty of protection. They would be designated a human to protect, one that the Pokémon agreed they had understanding of a greater good. These humans would eventually create the first Organization. But the Organization changed as humans did, and its original purpose was lost to humans - but not to the Pokémon. They would drive, guide and teach new generations of human about the secrets of their homeland under the guise of being just your everyday common and silly Pokémon with a particular liking for exploration, and pull them to action when required by the original purpose, thus the first Organization was being kept alive. The Leader's Starter is of such a breed.

There are other Pokémon, in other lands, who are taught the importance of specific ruins their kind lives in, and expect to one day be selected to protect them. To become stronger, some serve their local deities, some travel and live alone, and some others take advantage of he Original Pact and seek for a human "good enough" to train them. Sometimes, a Pokémon of the latter kind notices the human whom they help has a closer knowledge of the ruins or a clear disposition to take the path of a protector; then they may lead the human to the Organization, where if they do fine under human evaluation, the Leader's Starter would "kindly suggest" the human in charge that the newcomer, and his Pokémon, would be a fine addition to the group.

This is how the most recent iteration of the Organization came to be, after the latest was supposedly erased from existance by the use of force.


As for throwing a lot of things together, I'm doing essentially a round robin of sorts, event-wise. The focus of the characters is kept at all times on what the Organization should be doing, but the focus of narration shifts between the feelings members have towards each other, their lack of resources, and the search for completion - be it new members or a nice enemy- in a (I hope) orderly fashion according to what further lack each need reveals. I planned a two-way conveyor belt of triggers which I can use to clearly going from one subject to the next, I just haven't had the time to try it on write.

There. Some more food for critics. I hope I am playing this well.
__________________
Solovino / Venia Silente's Activity
Works
Fics
Elusive Goals | Sixth | Playfield
RP
Silent @ We Are All Pokémon Trainers
Articles
Nidoran Line, Lileep Line, Latii and others @ Project PEFE
My Claims
All pending revision

OTHER STUFF
Banner: “Playfield” by Hydro_King@Serebii.
Pokéteca Librarian — Researcher for The Pokédex Extended Fanon Edition
  #9795    
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Best City OCE
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
They might not remake Crystal as there was no ThunderYellow... But HG and SS are awesome. Even my non-Pokemon friend is getting HG. =D

Dragonfree has some nice stuff...Breezy too. There's some nice stuff at Serebii too. A lot of the finished stuff is at Serebii. xD
__________________
Brony represent.
  #9796    
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Caterpie View Post
They might not remake Crystal as there was no ThunderYellow... But HG and SS are awesome. Even my non-Pokemon friend is getting HG. =D

Dragonfree has some nice stuff...Breezy too. There's some nice stuff at Serebii too. A lot of the finished stuff is at Serebii. xD
Not really. There are like tons of unfinished fics in Serebii. XD

Oh that reminds me, I need to have NE be in the completed fics section this weekend Just need to edit grammar mistakes in Chapter 24 and Epilogue first, though. ;

The GS remake is indeed good news. Shoudl give more inspiration for an OT fic I have been planning since forever. XD
__________________
→Spark. Flash. Flame.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]
  #9797    
Old May 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ninja Caterpie's Avatar
Ninja Caterpie
Sitting by the back window
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Best City OCE
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
I never said a lot of the things at Serebii are finished, I just said that there are a lot of finished ones at Serebii too.
__________________
Brony represent.
  #9798    
Old May 9th, 2009, 03:36 AM
.Ozymandias's Avatar
.Ozymandias
Child of Time
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Karnac (in RL, The UK)
Age: 25
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
Send a message via AIM to .Ozymandias Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to .Ozymandias
Sorry I've been gone so long (have I?), my dog had to be put down >.< But it brought a new question for you all to try and stop Astinus from killing someone!

If something happens IRL to make you stop writing, how do you get back into it?

Genuine question; I've written the heartwrenching end for A Darker Day to utilise my pain after my dog died, but I need to write the build up to the end, and I'm struggling to put it down. Anyone have any advice?

YAY for G/S remakes! I am psyched for those!
__________________




Friend Code

A Darker Day

Team Destiny



Theme

  #9799    
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:39 AM
TurtleKing's Avatar
TurtleKing
Turtles > You
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Gender:
The King of Turtles is back in the Lounge. How's everybody been?
__________________

Elite Academy - A Pokemon Academy fan-fiction by TurtleKing
Volume One | Volume Two
  #9800    
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Bay Alexison's Avatar
Bay Alexison
Not a Baygel
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dani California
Age: 25
Nature: Sassy
If something happens IRL to make you stop writing, how do you get back into it?

There was actually one time a couple years ago I was having nervous breakdowns due to being stressed out on school, which delayed NE for a little bit. After going to counseling for a little bit, I've been trying ways to relax myself, and one is reading books and fanfics. Eventually those gave me inspiration to write NE again. XD

Sorry that your dog has to be put down. *hugs* Hopefully you'll be able to write that buildup towards the end after you feel better.

EDIT: SHOOT, ALMOST FORGOT!

Hi, TurtleKing! Been a while. As for me, I'm doing fine. Finished NE, hehe. :D
__________________
→Spark. Flash. Flame.

[PC Fanfiction Index] [Nothing, Everything] [Quiet Admiration][The BBS] [MyAnimeList][Archive of Our Own][FFnet]
[Partner in Crime: Elite Overlord LeSabre™] [Cousin: Astinus] [Avatar: suspecting from LJ]

Last edited by Bay Alexison; May 9th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.