The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General
Sign Up Rules/FAQ Live Battle Blogs Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.


View Poll Results: Which one do you like more?
Mew 76 76.77%
Arceus 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:15 PM
KnilShadowLink's Avatar
KnilShadowLink
#1 Arcanine Fanboy
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hyrule...
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
I've recently been thinking...Arceus seems to be a lot like Mew (They both learn near any move TM/HM/Move Tutor) and at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)...Basically what I'm saying is, is Arcues a cheap wanna-be Mew on steroids? (Also I've noticed that in every generation Nintendo has added a newer, stronger Pokemon that resembles an older Pokemon, Example: Dragonite<Salamence, Flygon<Garchomp, Blaziken<Infernape, and these are just to name a few...Am I the only one that sees the similarities?)
__________________
When I was young, there were only 151 Pokemon, and Pluto was a planet...








Last edited by KnilShadowLink; June 9th, 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: By move, I meant TM/HM/Move Tutor, I probably should have been more clear on that (sorry)
  #2    
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:17 PM
ShinjisLover's Avatar
ShinjisLover
Later Potater!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Right behind you
Gender: Female
Nature: Lax
Well, personally, I hate Arceus and much prefer Mew. Though, some people may disagree.
__________________
Fluttershy

» Yay
» I'm the world champ, you know
» You rock, woohoo
» Oh, I'm sorry, am I interrupting?
  #3    
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:36 PM
©ereal Killer's Avatar
©ereal Killer
Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ©ereal Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjisLover View Post
Well, personally, I hate Arceus and much prefer Mew. Though, some people may disagree.
Naw dude, im with you... (you're a dude aren't you?)

Arceus looks like some giganto goat like thing, and mew...
well mew is cool... mmmkay?
  #4    
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Haza's Avatar
Haza
☆A Life of Pokémon & Beyoncé ☆
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: ☆Cyanide City☆
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I like them both but Arceus reflects me more.
__________________


Δloyisious Divo |Haza D'Ξvil
The poison that is always fatal... yet the stinger won't stop stinging
Twitter
Facebook
  #5    
Old June 9th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Giraffes? Giraffes!'s Avatar
Giraffes? Giraffes!
ラヴィ・ヘッド
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjisLover View Post
Well, personally, I hate Arceus and much prefer Mew. Though, some people may disagree.
I agree with Shinji..

I really dislike everything about Arceus... Nintendo should of never made so many Sinnoh legendaries. Arceus wasn't needed in my opinion. So yes, i choose mew.
  #6    
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
XxDawnfanxX's Avatar
XxDawnfanxX
The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Mew no doubt, he is very powerful. Although many people wouldn't think so because he looks so sweet. Mew has always been a favorite.
__________________

  #7    
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:42 AM
El Gofre's Avatar
El Gofre
I'm Back.
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Age: 82
Nature: Quirky
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnilShadowLink View Post
at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)
Think of arceus as the christian god and mew as adam/eve. Arceus was the original being (Proof #1: Arceus is classified as the alpha pokémon, alpha meaning first. Proof #2: Pokémon Platinum Pokédex entry "Emerged from an egg where there was nothing") that created everything (Proof #1: Pokémon Diamond Pokédex entry "Shaped the universe with its 1000 arms". Proof #2: Pokémon Platinum Pokédex entry "then shaped the world"), while mew was the first "mundane" poke arceus created after assigning all the legendaries their tasks (Proof #1: Mew is classified as the new specie pokémon, which indicates it was created itself. Proof #2: 4th Gen Pokédex entry "Scientists believe mew to be the ancestor of pokémon", ancestor meaning distant relative and not creator).

Quote:
Basically what I'm saying is, is Arcues a cheap wanna-be Mew on steroids?
No, he is not. Coming from a battling point of view, mew is definately a supporter with the ability to baton pass almost anything. Arceus lacks this, but his ability to change type and more aggressive movepool make him distincly different from mew.

Quote:
(Also I've noticed that in every generation Nintendo has added a newer, stronger Pokemon that resembles an older Pokemon, Example: Dragonite<Salamence, Flygon<Garchomp, Blaziken<Infernape, and these are just to name a few...Am I the only one that sees the similarities?)
Not technically true. In terms of legendaries, nothing improved on mewtwo until 3rd gen, and it's arguable that he was still the best special sweeper. In terms of normal pokes, blastoise remained superior to feraligatr in terms of its chosen task, charizard was superior to typhlosion, pidgeot kicked noctowl's ass until swellow came along, who is in turn about level with staraptor this generation, and I could find you some more if you like. Comparisons are always drawn between different groups of pokes, most people failed to recognise arceus brought in a new level to the pokemon mythology rather than copying mew.
__________________
Hi again.
  #8    
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Link's Avatar
Link
Rupee Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
I never liked Arceus i feel its such a let down... Mew is tres cool though!!
Maybe the mobie will change my mind but the so called god of pokemon is just a let down really...
__________________
  #9    
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Raykon's Avatar
Raykon
Trainer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia, NSW
Age: 19
Gender: Male
Nature: Gentle
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Raykon
I will say that I have to agree with El Gofre, I don't really like Arceus but thats mainly because Mew is one of the orignal Pokemon and I used to like it. That's all I really have to say on this topic ...
__________________
Check out : www.beybladeaustralia.topixcube.com
  #10    
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Azonic's Avatar
Azonic
pls stop talking to me
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: stranger danger
Age: 1
Gender: Male
Nature: Naughty
I'd like to point out that neither Arceus nor Mew learns every move. Mew learns every HM / TM move, but Arceus doesn't even do that.
__________________
yo wassup
  #11    
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Pokémon Professor's Avatar
Pokémon Professor
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Pokémon Professor
I'd just like to elaborate a bit more on what El Gofre discussed.

Firstly I'd like to emphasise the point that I don't like one Pokémon over another. Every Pokémon has unique characteristics and qualities, just like humans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KnilShadowLink View Post
Arceus seems to be a lot like Mew (They both learn near any move) and at one time Mew was thought to be the very first Pokemon (I really don't feel like listing out all the similarities)
I disagree, they are actually quite different.

By popular belief, Mew is assumed to be the first Pokémon due to what is currently known.

Silver Pokédex entry: Mew
Quote:
Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques.
Ruby Pokédex entry: Mew
Quote:
Mew is said to possess the genetic composition of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people.
Diamond Pokédex entry: Mew
Quote:
Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon.
Might I add due to the rarity of Mew and its capabilities as a Pokémon, many perceive it to be the creator. However one should know majority of the information is based before that of Arceus. We should clear up some confusion in terms of what is actually described. It's stated Mew possesses the genetic composition of every Pokémon, not to of created Pokémon and the universe like Arceus.

Diamond Pokédex entry: Arceus
Quote:
It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
So what's the end result?

In my opinion, Mew is based somewhere in between the birth of Arceus and the creation of Pokémon. Which brings me to the term "Ancestor" (The actual or hypothetical organism or stock from which later kinds evolved.).

Resource(s):
Bulbapedia /Mew_(Pokémon)
Bulbapedia /Arceus_(Pokémon)

(Can't post links due to post count.)

Last edited by Pokémon Professor; June 15th, 2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Changed font
  #12    
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Arceus all the way... I always liked him because he's cool and he plays huge role in Sinnoh space-time legend
__________________
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign
  #13    
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Blaziken_Boy's Avatar
Blaziken_Boy
Back for now
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere...
Age: 18
Nature: Timid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
Arceus all the way... I always liked him because he's cool and he plays huge role in Sinnoh space-time legend
Ironically, that's why I hate him.

It's like Nintendo said "what do we do we're out of ideers what pokemansz should we make the big ledjinderry"
"O I NO HOW ABOTU MAKE GOD OF POKEMONS/"
__________________
Disregard all my posts before 2010. I was an idiot back then.
  #14    
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Satoshi Ookami's Avatar
Satoshi Ookami
Memento Mori
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Abyss of Time, Great Seal
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziken_Boy View Post
Ironically, that's why I hate him.

It's like Nintendo said "what do we do we're out of ideers what pokemansz should we make the big ledjinderry"
"O I NO HOW ABOTU MAKE GOD OF POKEMONS/"
Funny but it might be true :D
__________________
ROM hacking FAQ - Read before asking how to play a hack. | Previous Sign 2 | Previous Sign
  #15    
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:55 AM
TERRA#493's Avatar
TERRA#493
Competitive Battler
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Germany
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
First i want to say, that nothing of both is able to learn every move. They only could learn (nearly) every TM and their level-up-moves. But for one of hundred examples, it gives no TM Flare Blitz and none of them can learn it by level-up. So, the only Pokemon who is able to learn every move, i believe, is Smeargle.

Well i like Arceus a lot, it looks cool, and its ability is simply awesome. But called as the "God of Pokemon" it should have more features, not only this ability.. I don't like Mew much... it looks not like a Legendary oO
__________________



INGAME-NAME: TERRA

FRIENDCODE: 5070 0479 2495


Hi PokéCommunity / TERRA#493's Battle Stadium
Smogon University /Smogon Tier-List /
Smogon Community
The Spriters Recource / My YouTube Channel

PS: I'm happy, when i can help youse by Rating Your Teams,
but when it are teams, which have no real structure and are
just motley, i can't and won't make this job for you. Your team
should have a certain tactical background.


  #16    
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Ayselipera
Guest
 
I like them both, but I prefer Mew.
Also I see what you mean with them
making duplicates of the same pokemon
I really noticed it with Blaziken and Infernape.
  #17    
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Kazukii
Booted out - don't be like me!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Gender: Female
Nature: Naughty
I prefer Mew because Arceus is more of a hack than anything.
  #18    
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:58 AM
kingofjokers's Avatar
kingofjokers
This is not a custom title!!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Hillside IL
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via AIM to kingofjokers
mew it is just so cute and powerful
__________________
  #19    
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Mōnštȝr¿'s Avatar
Mōnštȝr¿
Donator Tier 1
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 21
Send a message via Skype™ to Mōnštȝr¿
Mew..
Arceus... is a waste..
I dislike it in any shape or form.
  #20    
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Superjub's Avatar
Superjub
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ⱥ ŵħōľē ňëŵ ŗëĝĩȏȠ
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Timid
Mew is just plaina dorable, but Arceus is pretty strong. :X

Abput who was first: Mew or Arceus, I am going to have to say Arceus, sadly. Also, using Pokedex entries before Arceus was made is kinda inaccurate. :\
Quote:
Diamond Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon.
Scientists believe it was the first Pokemon, not neccesarily meaning it is the first Pokemon. :\

Just for nostalgia's sake, I'll have to say i prefer Mew (though I do quite like Arceus' dragon and Water Formes. XD)
__________________




  #21    
Old June 9th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Inkfingers's Avatar
Inkfingers
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 20
Nature: Calm
I htink mew is the greatest of the two. Possibly the greatest legendary. I know what you mean by similarities. Beautifly, and butterfree for example. Taillow and pidgey, sentret and rattata.
__________________
[/url
  #22    
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
CyanideEspeon's Avatar
CyanideEspeon
Strange Woman
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Age: 18
Gender: Female
Nature: Quirky
I like them both, but Arceus.
  #23    
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Jasonpower's Avatar
Jasonpower
Super Nerd
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The only place you can think about
Age: 16
Gender: Male
Nature: Bold
i think arceus will win because it has the move judgement which is cool and strong
__________________
  #24    
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Zeta Patchouli's Avatar
Zeta Patchouli
The Unconscious Wanderer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Florida
Age: 20
Nature: Relaxed
Personally, I like the both of them, a lot. But I like Mew a little more. Why? I don't know, maybe because it was probably the original creator before Arceus came in, or maybe because it looks pretty awesome, I don't know. But I like Mew a bit more.
  #25    
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Lt_Nite's Avatar
Lt_Nite
GnR for life!
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
Gender: Male
Nature: Lax
Personally I never liked Arceus compared to Mew. I grew up with Mew being "the original one" so I prefer him over Arceus any day. Just my opinion, though.
__________________



My GPX Partay
Please help my eggys and pokes they're cold and hungry =[

Closed Thread
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Style by Nymphadora, artwork by Sa-Dui.
Like our Facebook Page Follow us on Twitter © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com.
Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com.
PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator.