Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index



Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources
Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Post Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:43 AM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful

Advertise here
All right. This is my first tutorial, for all those who don't know me (all of you), I'm Tom. I have been trying to figure out how to add Pokemon, so I read every tutorial out there, but none seemed to work. So I took it upon myself and started to experiment. This tutorial works for me, I hope it works for you! I already wrote this, but my computer deleted it all, so here we go again.

NOTE ON EMERALD:
Spoiler:
FOR EMERALD, THE PALETTE CANNOT BE CHANGED. FOR INSERTING POKEMON IN EMERALD, USE RS BALL TO GET THE PALETTE OF A SIMILARLY COLOURED POKEMON. OPEN THE PICTURE OF THIS POKEMON PROVIDED IN ELITE MAP. COPY THE COLOURS AND RECOLOUR YOU NEW POKEMON. USE THE PALETTE CODE PROVIDED IN RS BALL FOR THE PALETTE IN POKE EDIT PRO.


What you'll need!
Spoiler:
MS Paint (You should have it...)
InfranView (http://download.cnet.com/IrfanView/3...=dl&tag=button)
FSF(http://www.andreasartori.net/hackmew...=&file=FSF.zip)
unLZ-GBA (http://www.andreasartori.net/hackmew...HackedunLZ.zip)
Poke Edit Pro (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123882)
A ROM (ROM linking is against the rules... Sorry folks. Just Google "Pokemon ROM")
MAKE A BACKUP ROM! DO IT OR REGRET NOT!

STEP 1:
Spoiler:
Make your sprite. It's size should be 64x64. Make the background a colour not used in the sprite. Save it as a .PNG file.(I am using a trainer as a Pokemon. Why? I just like to mix things up. You, use your Pokemon when you see my swimmer.)
Spoiler:

STEP 2:
Spoiler:

Open your Pokemon with InfranView.
Spoiler:


STEP 3:
Spoiler:
Click on the "Image" tab and select "Decrease Colour Depth".
Spoiler:

STEP 4:
Spoiler:
Select "16 Colours (4BPP). Click "OK"
Spoiler:

STEP 5:
Spoiler:
Click the "Image" tab again. Go to the bottom where it says "Palette" and click "Edit palette..."
Spoiler:

STEP 6:
Spoiler:
Click the first colour and copy down its RGB code. Then do the same with your background colour. (For me, the first colour is usually black with 4,2,4, and the background is the eighth colour.)
Spoiler:

STEP 7:
Spoiler:
Switch 'em. Double click on the first colour, click "Define Custom Colours" and where it says "RGB" Type in your code. (The first number goes next to the "R", the second next to the "G" and the third next to the "B". Repeat for you background colour. It will look messed up, that's OK. Save it as a different PNG file.
Spoiler:

STEP 8:
Spoiler:
Open both sprites in two different MS Paint applications.
Spoiler:

STEP 9:
Spoiler:
Click "Ctrl" and "A" on the old sprite, and then "Ctrl" and "C". Go to the new sprite, and click "Ctrl" and "V". Save it as a PNG.
Spoiler:

STEP 10:
Spoiler:
Go to where you saved it. Right click on the new picture and hit "Properties". Where it says "Size" look at the number in parentheses. (## bytes) Add ten to it and write it down.
Spoiler:

STEP 11:
Spoiler:
Open up FSF. Open your ROM with it. Where it says "Needed bytes" type in the number you got in the last step. Select "Search from the beginning of the ROM" and hit "Search". Copy down that result. Then change the needed bytes to 64. Search and copy down that result.
Spoiler:

STEP 12:
Spoiler:
Open up unLZ-GBA. Open your ROM and go to a random sprite. (Mine start at 668.) Click "Import" find your picture.
Spoiler:

STEP 13:
Spoiler:
Hit "Write to ROM". Select all the boxes. Where it says "Image offset", type in your first FSF result. Where it says "Palette offset", type in your second. Click "OK"
Spoiler:

STEP 14:
Spoiler:
Open up Poke Edit Pro. Go either to a Pokemon you want to replace, or to one of the "???????" after Celebi. Where it says "Sprite offset", type in your first FSF result, and where it says "Norm. Palette", type in your second result.
Spoiler:

STEP 15:
Spoiler:
Click "Save ROM". And test.
Spoiler:

Other Things You Can Do!
Spoiler:
To edit stats and the name, use Poke Edit Pro.
To add a backsprite, repeat these steps.
And more as I get questions!


Thank you!
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors

Last edited by tpravetz; May 31st, 2011 at 09:06 AM.
  #2    
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Biminis
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Gender:
Thanks dude.This tutorial helped me a lot.But i don't get one thing:
661+10=671
From where you get those 10?
  #3    
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
onyx79's Avatar
onyx79
Red Dead Revolver
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange Islands (=
Gender: Male
Nature: Modest
thanks man! hope this will help me eith the sprites inserting....
my room base: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpos...5&postcount=64
  #4    
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM
ΡλЯλđΘЖ's Avatar
ΡλЯλđΘЖ
Insane
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: USA
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Quiet
Rom linking is against the rules, tpravetz...
Reported.

I carry a big gun...

  #5    
Old June 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biminis View Post
Thanks dude.This tutorial helped me a lot.But i don't get one thing:
661+10=671
From where you get those 10?
The ten are just a little extra to be safe. I don't think it's necessary, but I like to have it there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic-X View Post
Rom linking is against the rules, tpravetz...
Reported.
Aw, I forgot. Drat. I wasn't thinking of that when I posted them. I'll remove the link.
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
  #6    
Old June 26th, 2009, 03:25 AM
runawayfromthevoices
Beginning Trainer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Gender: Male
DUDEs.. my bacsprite gets all messed up. either its the pallet or it just goes haywire, either way it gets screwed..HELP
  #7    
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:40 AM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayfromthevoices View Post
DUDEs.. my bacsprite gets all messed up. either its the pallet or it just goes haywire, either way it gets screwed..HELP
Hmmm... The colours are messed up? Make sure your back sprite has all the same colours as the the front sprite... If they are and it still doesn' t work, would you send me or post a screenshot?
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
  #8    
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Chimchar 9's Avatar
Chimchar 9
inactive ~ depression :/
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: England, Southampton.
Age: 20
Gender: Male
Nature: Calm
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Chimchar 9
Hmm... good Tutorial.
It looks helpful, by looking at the infomation and screenshots.
Good work!
Pokemon Green Diamond
Status: On Hold.
  #9    
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Suhaib10's Avatar
Suhaib10
Suhaib
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 18
Gender: Male
Nature: Hasty
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Suhaib10
Hey nice tutorial helped me out a lot
  #10    
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
mattattack's Avatar
mattattack
Huh, Son?
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Why would you care?
Nature: Jolly
wow thank you for the changing pokemon. Also you may have found a way for fire red hackers to insert pokemon in those 25 empty spaces.
Sometimes...it's hell before you get to heaven...

My Trainer Card


Help me raise my pokemon!

Cre....Creselia!!?!?!?!?!?!
  #11    
Old June 26th, 2009, 02:50 PM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchlax™ View Post
Hmm... good Tutorial.
It looks helpful, by looking at the infomation and screenshots.
Good work!
Why thank you! As I said before, this is my first tutorial, and it very nice to get such compliments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhaib10 View Post
Hey nice tutorial helped me out a lot
I'm glad, and the same thing I said to Munchlax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattattack View Post
wow thank you for the changing pokemon. Also you may have found a way for fire red hackers to insert pokemon in those 25 empty spaces.
Was that not known before? I think it was. But it wasn't really me. I just read a ton of tutorials on the web, but none seemed to work for me, so I just sort of mixed them all together...
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
  #12    
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:00 PM
FinalZero's Avatar
FinalZero
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
wow thank you for the changing pokemon. Also you may have found a way for fire red hackers to insert pokemon in those 25 empty spaces.
Do you even know why those 25 empty spaces aren't used?

Quote:
Was that not known before? I think it was. But it wasn't really me. I just read a ton of tutorials on the web, but none seemed to work for me, so I just sort of mixed them all together...
What you posted is already known. What's not known is how to repoint the pokedex entries so the pokemon can be encountered in the wild without the game freezing.
  #13    
Old June 27th, 2009, 02:16 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalZero
What you posted is already known. What's not known is how to repoint the pokedex entries so the pokemon can be encountered in the wild without the game freezing.
Weird... After I inserted the sprite 'n stuff, I tested if the sprite was inserted good... So, I set the Munchlax I inserted as one of the possible wildpkmn encounters, and the game didn't freeze when I encountered him.
  #14    
Old June 27th, 2009, 09:37 AM
FinalZero's Avatar
FinalZero
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Weird... After I inserted the sprite 'n stuff, I tested if the sprite was inserted good... So, I set the Munchlax I inserted as one of the possible wildpkmn encounters, and the game didn't freeze when I encountered him.
Was it a pokemon in one of the ???????? spots or not?
  #15    
Old June 27th, 2009, 10:02 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalZero View Post
Was it a pokemon in one of the ???????? spots or not?
Depends on how you see it. You know, right before Bulbasaur (in Poke Edit Pro that is) there's a "?????????" spot, which I presume is the Missingno. from the 3rd gen games. And after celebi, we have 25 "?" slots. I used the first "?" slot, right after celebi, and it worked fine for me. The only thing I still need to do, is import the backsprite, the shiny sprites, the icon sprite and the change the cry (it's still the cry of the Unown)
  #16    
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM
FinalZero's Avatar
FinalZero
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Depends on how you see it. You know, right before Bulbasaur (in Poke Edit Pro that is) there's a "?????????" spot, which I presume is the Missingno. from the 3rd gen games. And after celebi, we have 25 "?" slots. I used the first "?" slot, right after celebi, and it worked fine for me. The only thing I still need to do, is import the backsprite, the shiny sprites, the icon sprite and the change the cry (it's still the cry of the Unown)
I meant one of the slots after celebi. Also, it's don't thinks it's Missingo that's before bulbasaur. Why would they purposely import a glitch like that? I don't know what it's supposed to be though. Maybe just a placeholder for the ? graphic? According to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...question_marks, it has a pokedex entry also; I'm not really sure what it's use is. Call is Missongno if you want, but it's not the same and I'd argue that it'd be a misnomer.

Tell me, what happens when you try to view the pokedex entry for the pokemon you inserted then?
  #17    
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:59 PM
tpravetz
... doesn't exist.
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: In a swirling vortex of impending doom
Gender: Male
Nature: Careful
I usually just avoid the first "???????" spot. I just assume that it serves as and importance there... Hmmm. Tell me what happens -DarK-.
Join the Suro revolution |Win the war of Majasuroshia| Fight the Oppressors
  #18    
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:57 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalZero View Post
I meant one of the slots after celebi. Also, it's don't thinks it's Missingo that's before bulbasaur. Why would they purposely import a glitch like that? I don't know what it's supposed to be though. Maybe just a placeholder for the ? graphic? According to http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...question_marks, it has a pokedex entry also; I'm not really sure what it's use is. Call is Missongno if you want, but it's not the same and I'd argue that it'd be a misnomer.

Tell me, what happens when you try to view the pokedex entry for the pokemon you inserted then?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpravetz View Post
I usually just avoid the first "???????" spot. I just assume that it serves as and importance there... Hmmm. Tell me what happens -DarK-.
Well, there's no Pokedex entry (the entry that got "used" [wasn't actually used, there was no info on it] is the pokemon which is currently the last one in your pokedex, which my case was a rattata), but the pokemon/game itself doesn't gets glitched up. I managed to insert it correctly (sprite, backsprite, shiny, icon, etc), but there's only one thing I'm having problems with: the cry. The cry is still the same as the Unown, and honestly, I have no idea how to change it without glitching the game. I tried using PokeCryGUI (included with Elite Map) but it glitched up my game's music and sounds.
  #19    
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Link_971's Avatar
Link_971
French Rom-Hacker
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Link_971
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DarK- View Post
The cry is still the same as the Unown, and honestly, I have no idea how to change it without glitching the game. I tried using PokeCryGUI (included with Elite Map) but it glitched up my game's music and sounds.
Yes, the cry is the same as Unown, but this data isn't same.
PokeCry in Elitemap is blocked between the numbers 252 - 276.
I'll make new version of PokeCry with no "protection".
  #20    
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:47 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link_971 View Post
Yes, the cry is the same as Unown, but this data isn't same.
PokeCry in Elitemap is blocked between the numbers 252 - 276.
I'll make new version of PokeCry with no "protection".
Will you? Great! That will be so awesome! The only thing that's left to do then is a Pokedex editor, to make sure that you get those entries can be added as well. Then adding pokemon to advance games would be as good as complete. ^^

Last edited by -DarK-; June 28th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
  #21    
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM
FinalZero's Avatar
FinalZero
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Will you? Great! That will be so awesome! The only thing that's left to do then is a Pokedex editor, to make sure that you get those entries can be added as well. Then adding pokemon to advance games would be as good as complete.
I'm still very surprised you didn't get any of the errors described as in: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220

I should've clarified what I said before. One usually can encounter it in the wild fine, but trying to capture it causes the game freeze. Are you trying to capture it in the wild?

Also, you're using English FireRed right?
  #22    
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:45 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinalZero View Post
I'm still very surprised you didn't get any of the errors described as in: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220

I should've clarified what I said before. One usually can encounter it in the wild fine, but trying to capture it causes the game freeze. Are you trying to capture it in the wild?

Also, you're using English FireRed right?
Yes, I'm using an English FR ROM. And yes, I have captured it, and had no problems with it except for the Pokedex entry, which was, as I said, the last pokemon you had in your pokedex list (which in my case was a rattata, so that entry got used. But, no data got added, as the game still treats it like a diffirent pokemon.)
  #23    
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Link_971's Avatar
Link_971
French Rom-Hacker
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: France
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Link_971
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DarK- View Post
Will you? Great!

Yes and No.
We can add cry in 252 - 276, but the pointer for these pokemon is the same as Unown.
If we can change pointer of the cry, we can use cry.

(Exemple, if you add sprite in 252 - 276, you must change the pointer of image or palette in RS Ball, for the cry is the same thing).


RUBY AXVE offsets

Table : 452590


251 Celebi : 5AF4F4
252 : 5B036C
253 : 5B0BCC
254 : 5B168C
255 : 5B1FD8
256 : 5B2C34
257 : 5B413C
258 : 5B4BD4
259 : 5B5804
260 : 5B65E4
261 : 5B7184
262 : 5B8890
263 : 5B9220
264 : 5B9C88
265 : 5BA220
266 : 5BAD3C
267 : 5BB690
268 : 5BBC90
269 : 5BC594
270 : 5BD744
271 : 5BE3B0
272 : 5BED58
273 : 5C0A2C
274 : 5C29AC
275 : 5C3554
276 : 579C4C
277 Treecko : 5C29AC

Last edited by Link_971; June 29th, 2009 at 09:46 AM.
  #24    
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:40 AM
-DarK-
Hold Your Colour
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Age: 21
Gender: Male
Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to -DarK-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Link_971 View Post
Yes and No.
We can add cry in 252 - 276, but the pointer for these pokemon is the same as Unown.
If we can change pointer of the cry, we can use cry.

(Exemple, if you add sprite in 252 - 276, you must change the pointer of image or palette in RS Ball, for the cry is the same thing).


RUBY AXVE offsets

Table : 452590


251 Celebi : 5AF4F4
252 : 5B036C
253 : 5B0BCC
254 : 5B168C
255 : 5B1FD8
256 : 5B2C34
257 : 5B413C
258 : 5B4BD4
259 : 5B5804
260 : 5B65E4
261 : 5B7184
262 : 5B8890
263 : 5B9220
264 : 5B9C88
265 : 5BA220
266 : 5BAD3C
267 : 5BB690
268 : 5BBC90
269 : 5BC594
270 : 5BD744
271 : 5BE3B0
272 : 5BED58
273 : 5C0A2C
274 : 5C29AC
275 : 5C3554
276 : 579C4C
277 Treecko : 5C29AC
Well, if the pointers for the sprites can be changed, so should the pointers for the cries, I guess. Or not?
  #25    
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM
FinalZero's Avatar
FinalZero
...
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Yes, I'm using an English FR ROM. And yes, I have captured it, and had no problems with it except for the Pokedex entry, which was, as I said, the last pokemon you had in your pokedex list (which in my case was a rattata, so that entry got used. But, no data got added, as the game still treats it like a diffirent pokemon.)
Strange. I (and many others) have tried using those spaces before to no avail. I'll try again tonight...

Sorry for another question, but the rom is completely clean beyond the inserted pokemon right?
Post Reply
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links


Advertise here
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Minimum Characters Per Post: 25



All times are UTC -8. The time now is 08:30 PM.

About Us
© 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity™, pokecommunity.com. Pokémon characters and images belong to The Pokémon Company International and Nintendo. This website is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Nintendo, Creatures, GAMEFREAK, The Pokémon Company or The Pokémon Company International. We just love Pokémon.

Copyright
All forum styles, their images (unless noted otherwise) and site designs are © 2002 - 2014 The PokéCommunity / PokéCommunity.com. PokéCommunity™ is a trademark of The PokéCommunity. All rights reserved. Sponsor advertisements do not imply our endorsement of that product or service. User generated content remains the property of its creator. Header artwork by Jordanice of deviantART.

Social Media
If you would like to stay up-to-date with us on the go, when we're down, or other such things, follow us on social media sites--most notibly Twitter, Facebook, and Google Plus--by clicking on the links provided.

Design presented by Peitharchia. Special thanks to Hiroshi Sotomura and Ausaudriel.