The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > Tools, Tutorials & Resources

Notices

Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:21 PM
sab
Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
Now that the argueing has died down a little I think that I can staate this without anyone getting really upset. after readding ALL the comments I think that most people agree on these points. 1 this is a quick way of scriptting it belongs in a different fourm but this is the fourm that suits it most closley. 2 this way will lower the quality of a hack because it is quick and doesn't require a lot of effort to make a hack this way. I am not saying that using this lowers the quality of a hack, I am saying that the easier it is to make a hack, the less effort will put into one and make it so easy that people don't need to study a lot to make a hack. 3 It is useful and can be used fine so long as people put a lot of work into the hack and don't slack off. The reason I don't make a hack is that I don't have the patience to finish it and also I haven't got a plot line. a plot line develops as a hacker learns and puts time into learning. short and simple this document in itself isn't a problem but the factor of difficulty goes down so a person can just sit down and can now make half-hearted hacks. this also goes for all the tools out there, they are useful but they can lead to lazyness.
Old June 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
The Sorrow is Sweet, as is the Fruit!
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to The Prince of Sweet Sorrow
Ok,for your info everyone,i learned scripting this way,now i can script without this method,and can do reeeeeaaaallly big scripts,so,everyone who doubted that with this method you can't learn scripting is wrong.
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:11 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly
I have to agree with ray.

I first started scripting, like waht, 2-3 months ago? I first started with the little stuff and such, like editing scripts.

And although this would have been helpful to me, it was posted after I could script well
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
.Seth
.explorer.

Nature: Quiet
This may be a method of scripting, but it doesn't actually teach anything. Well, I take that back, it does teach them how to edit scripts, but it doesn't teach them how to make scripts.

You need to teach and explain the actual commands of scripting if you want them to learn, Ray. :)
Old June 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikou-san View Post
This may be a method of scripting, but it doesn't actually teach anything. Well, I take that back, it does teach them how to edit scripts, but it doesn't teach them how to make scripts.

You need to teach and explain the actual commands of scripting if you want them to learn, Ray.
Did you read what i wrote just two posts up from here?I learned scripting,i can do very long scripts now.I don't edit scripts now.I create them from the scratch.Why?How?I looked all the other commands,i learned their actions,etc,and now i'm using them.
Old July 1st, 2009, 02:42 AM
.Seth
.explorer.

Nature: Quiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Maverick View Post
Did you read what i wrote just two posts up from here?I learned scripting,i can do very long scripts now.I don't edit scripts now.I create them from the scratch.Why?How?I looked all the other commands,i learned their actions,etc,and now i'm using them.
While that may be true, do you really know every use of every command?

Just because you can start off this way, doesn't mean it'll always yield scripters who can create scripts from scratch. While it may have led to you being able to create them from scratch, does it work that way for everyone?

I'm not trying to insult or criticize you as a person, I'm just saying that even though editing scripts can get you started, you'd have to learn all the commands yourself, and figure out every use for yourself. It's much easier on a hacker if he uses a tutorial that teaches him the coding, not just "edit this" and you get a new "this".

Last edited by .Seth; July 1st, 2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old September 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Brofaux
Beginning Trainer

Lol I find it funny how Ray gets pissed off so easily. How immature, these people are only giving you constructive criticism, open your eyes before your mouth.

As a starter scripter, I didn't find this helpful at all.

Old September 16th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Pokepal17
More cowbell~

Nature: Modest
There's nothing wrong with this way of scripting. Ray's right, it's good for beginners. If this would have been posted when I started, it would have been a lot easier for me. But for me I wrote scripts from scratch, it was like learning a language. However if I started over, I would learn this way, and the whole "the script'll be too big and overwrite something else" would help me learn about repointing and how much free space to calculate. So this a really good way to learn scripting, Well done, Ray.
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Community Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brofaux View Post
Lol I find it funny how Ray gets pissed off so easily. How immature, these people are only giving you constructive criticism, open your eyes before your mouth.

As a starter scripter, I didn't find this helpful at all.
Oh, how nice of you.

And they gave contsrucitve critism with rude comments. Besides, if this didnt help you, don't post, i know it won't be any help to some hackers, but to me it was great help. So, think about yourself, and not me. You didnt help me improve at all with this "I didnt find this helpful".
Give at least contsructive critism. And "think before you post" to you too.

n00b
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Ziwell7
Beginning Trainer

this method is very usefull for the beginners hackers, like me. i find scripting difficult. then i will try this method and in the future i try to script by myself. Thanks for the thread man
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Orlando
PUDDING!!!

Nice man! Cool tut! I'm an intermediate scripter so this may come in handy!
Old September 26th, 2009, 01:49 PM
NarutoActor
The rocks cry out to me
Community Supporter

Nature: Bashful
Send a message via AIM to NarutoActor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to NarutoActor
isnt this common sence when I first started to script I would read scripts from the game a try to figure out what each one did and aplied it to my scipts, any bodey with common sence would do this, its a big base of science "trial and erra"
Old September 26th, 2009, 08:02 PM
●•ΛΣЯӨЩ•●
Community Supporter

Nature: Bold
ccool down guys this is for real noobs

Sponsored Links