The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Creative Discussions > Fan Fiction and Writing > Writer's Lounge

Notices

Writer's Lounge Need advice? Want to give advice? Come on in and share ideas with your fellow writers. Just remember, all fics go in the main forum.

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:49 AM
JeisonKen
Legendary Pokemon Hunter

Nature: Relaxed
Because I was thinking of it.

I would like to rewrite the Pokemon games as fanfiction...Has anyone done this at some point? I am asking out of pure curiosity.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Neko64
PC's Traveling Artist

Nature: Brave
Send a message via AIM to Neko64
Not to sound mean, but I'm pretty sure it's been done many times before. Also, if you think about it, it would sound really boring. With fanfiction, you need something original, something away from the games itself, which is why it's called fanfiction, because the fans make it and they make it how they want it to be; ideas away from the game/show/whatever. :(

The Toddler Pokemon's Playground
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
icomeanon6
It's "I Come Anon"

This has been done more times than can be counted. Before you start writing any kind of Pokemon fanfiction, I think you should familiarize yourself with it. Try reading some stuff that authors have posted here, and check out some of the guides that are here in the writer's lounge. Thesis (I believe he now goes by Scarlet Weather) wrote a great guide for avoiding cliches a while ago, and that's definitely worth checking out: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=140933. If you want to have a good start in the world of fanfiction, it's important to take your time and know what's what before diving in. Have fun!

My chapter fics:
Kanto: The Disputed Frontier - 14 chapters, indefinite hiatus. Gary Stu's Unpredictable Adventure - 8 chapters, completed. Digimon Campaign - 5 chapters, ongoing.

One-shots:
There's Always Tomorrow (SWC 2009), A Matter of Stubbornness (SWC 2010), Left by the Roadside
(SWC 2011 1st place),
Giovanni Destroys the World and Everything in It (2012), By What Right? (SWC 2013 1st place) (New!)

A proud member of the
FFL ship/orgy/whatever.
Family (kind of?): Strange person who calls me strange names

If the pen is mightier than the sword, the keyboard is mightier than the ICBM.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Switchback
Flare Counsellor

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Switchback
A good point to consider is writing your own journey through the Pokemon games. This has been done before but be original! Add events that didn't happen in-game but you can imagine yourself being in, a little humour between your Pokemon and tense encounters with Gym Leaders, and you'll have yourself a little entertaining shard of your personal experience through the games to share with others.

"Deep run the scars from cross confrontations."

~ On Hiatus, most likely in Silent Hill. ~
Old June 30th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Misheard Whisper
#1 Yancy fan

Nature: Relaxed
Send a message via Skype™ to Misheard Whisper
It has been done before, but there should be nothing stopping you from doing it again, as long as you bring your own touch and unique voice to the story. Make it your own, and don't feel restricted by the games. This is one of the most common fanfiction topics (albeit not really on PC), but I have seen excellent examples of it, so don't be discouraged. Just have the guts to do it a little differently.
Old June 30th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Breezy
Eee.

/endlurk

They're not that common, actually. Completed ones, anyway. Yes, there are a lot of game-based 'fics, but most of these don't surpass the ten chapter mark, because the author realizes how huge a task it is, assuming you're not rushing through it. Game-based 'fics, in my opinion, are ridiculously easy but ridiculously difficult as well.

It's easy in the sense that the plot is pretty simple: A trainer traveling ______ region, battling different trainers in hopes of reaching said region's pokemon league. Basing it off the games just makes things easier as you already have an outline prepared for you. All the basics are planned out for you, really, from the rival to the main character itself, assuming you're using the main protagonist from the game as your main character.

However, writing a game-based fic really is a daunting task because it is, in essence, still a journey 'fic. This requires writing not only about your character's major battles, but all the tedious stuff, like traveling from point a to point b. You still gotta to develop your character properly, not only as a trainer, but as a human in general. You gotta make it "interesting" and "different" enough to actually attract readers as no one is going to want to read a story that is just "game in 'fic form." This is your chance to put your own spin on things and to write how you personally interpreted events in the game. The character in the game are pretty much as flat as they can be, albeit showing a little bit emotion during a battle start/finish. It's up to you to actually breathe life into them.

Quote:
With fanfiction, you need something original, something away from the games itself, which is why it's called fanfiction, because the fans make it and they make it how they want it to be; ideas away from the game/show/whatever. :(
Aren't most ideas usually somewhat based off an idea from the game/anime/manga anyway? o_O I know a lot of authors, while not basing their entire story off the game/anime, have picked out certain excerpts from the game or anime and twisted and contorted it into something original and interesting. And that's kind of what game fics are. The author "makes it how they want it to be" in a sense.

That being said, as long as you stay away from writing the game into actual text, the author would be making the story his own by putting his own twist on things. If you do choose to write a 'fic like this, I think you should be prepared to write something pretty ... massive.

Last edited by Breezy; June 30th, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
Old July 1st, 2009, 12:20 PM
Neko64
PC's Traveling Artist

Send a message via AIM to Neko64
Quote:
Originally posted by Breezy
Aren't most ideas usually somewhat based off an idea from the game/anime/manga anyway? o_O I know a lot of authors, while not basing their entire story off the game/anime, have picked out certain excerpts from the game or anime and twisted and contorted it into something original and interesting. And that's kind of what game fics are. The author "makes it how they want it to be" in a sense.

Well obviously Pokemon fanfiction is going to tie in to the games/manga/anime a little, otherwise it wouldn't be Pokemon fanfiction. I don't even know what it would be then. xD What I meant was that he shouldn't just go and make a generic fiction based solely on the game or an overused theme like "becoming a Pokemon master". I meant he should stray away from the game's plot and think up something original, that ties in to Pokemon, but at the same time is different from something you would expect to see in everyday Pokemon anime/game/whatever.

Some of the best fictions I've read are very extremly from the main storylines themselves.

The Toddler Pokemon's Playground
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links