The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > ROM Hacking > ROM Hacking Hub

Notices

ROM Hacking Hub General discussions about ROM Hacking and Emulation. Not sure where to start? This is the place for you.
Posting links to ROMs is illegal and is not tolerated anywhere on the forum.
New threads in this forum are to be approved by a moderator before they are displayed.

Advertise here

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:42 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Advertise here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vednix View Post
Well, its for a hack im thinking of. mudkip in mystery dungeon has 4 frames: one standing, the 3 moving. I was wondering if i would insert another frame for it so that I could have all frames instead of cutting one out. Also, I want to change the dimensions from 16x32 to 17x32. Can this be done wihtout bumming up the frame?
It's better if you just cut one out, as having one more frame would require ASM hacking for sure. As for the dimensions, you can't use 17x32 or "weird" dimensions like that. Due to the way the images are loaded, you wouldn't be able to display them properly.
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Sija
Beginning Trainer

Hello. I'm new in room hacking and I have one question. How to reduce ROM size? It's mean final rom size is smaller than before. I think that remove sound and music can help, I'm right? and how do this?
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:56 AM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sija View Post
Hello. I'm new in room hacking and I have one question. How to reduce ROM size? It's mean final rom size is smaller than before. I think that remove sound and music can help, I'm right? and how do this?
Why would you need to reduce the ROM size?
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Shroomish
Beginning Trainer

i kinda meant how do i get him to fall? can i use an indoor door tile? or does it have to be a hole tile? I think how it might work is if i make a new tile in tileset 1 using block editor that looks like the indoor door tile, but behaves like a hole. how do i use block editor to achieve these means? i can't seem to figure out how to add a tile graphic already existing in the rom. it just doesn't copy and paste for me...
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly
I have a question about HM's in gmae

Is thier still the rule intact where you have to get a specific badge to be able to use an HM?
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Vednix
:D

Nature: Docile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
It's better if you just cut one out, as having one more frame would require ASM hacking for sure. As for the dimensions, you can't use 17x32 or "weird" dimensions like that. Due to the way the images are loaded, you wouldn't be able to display them properly.
Ok, thanks Hackmew.

@Shroomish: I suggest looking at other fallin parts and see how they work.
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM
PlatniumPiano
You are now breathing manually

Nature: Lax
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebees View Post
I have a question about HM's in gmae

Is thier still the rule intact where you have to get a specific badge to be able to use an HM?
Yes, to my knowledge. To use them w/o badges, you would have to create an item that could perform whatever task the HM performs. It's not too hard. If you want a script I can send you one.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
BlitŻ
guahh my dog is so cute

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulJones View Post
Yes, to my knowledge. To use them w/o badges, you would have to create an item that could perform whatever task the HM performs. It's not too hard. If you want a script I can send you one.

that would be good, but how would I put that script into a item? Would I use a program?
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Blaziken_rjcf
Beginning Trainer

i can't make warp points in emerald using advance map... i set everything correctly but when i go to said warp point, nothing happens. i also cant increase the size of the maps because when i go there, it takes me to a dark place with one single place where i can move that has grass. after using walk through walls cheat i discovered that the right side appears to have no limit and if i go twice up, it freezes. also, when i walk, the grass i was on/in disappears. when i make the warp point its to a new map i created. i set everything correctly (checked more than 5 times) but nothing happens
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Vednix
:D

Nature: Docile
Hey, im having a problem with Overworld editor RE. I import my first sprite, and tick both boxes. then go to the next frame and import the picture with only "import image" ticked (because i do not need to tick the export pallette again). and the pallette is messed up! I reimport it to the same frame and this time tick "import pallette", and it looks fine. I go back to the first frame, and the pallette is messed up. help!
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...
Community Supporter Tier 1

Nature: Gentle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebees View Post
that would be good, but how would I put that script into a item? Would I use a program?
Actually, you would need to use ASM... If you want the item to have the script on it...
OR, you could place the script on a tile, and have it check to see if a pokemon you have has the attack it teaches...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
of Superjail Penitentiary
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Sex: Male ♂
Race: Caucasian
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>

Last edited by 0m3GA ARS3NAL; July 5th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Nature: Naughty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
ASM stands for Assembly.
It is a much more complicated programing language used for advanced GBA commands.
It is recommended you get yourself acquainted with ROM hacking before you even attempt ASM, as it is one of the most difficult methods out there.
(Well, it would be easier if SOME PEOPLE WOULD POST MORE TUTORIALS (You KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!))
I've been doing ROM Hacking for 4 months. I think I'm used to it.

EDIT: Some one said they needed help with warps? Well, the first thing is to check the "bank", "map", and "exit". If "bank" or "map" aren't correct, then the warp will mess up and things will act all creepy.

Aipom, Pikachu, and Eevee shall take over the world very soon... Very soon...

Map Requests Accepted JUST NOT FOR THE MAP RATING THREAD
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Blaziken_rjcf
Beginning Trainer

i tried that already, monkeyman2092. as i said (or not, maybe i forgot) the settings are perfect. i click "go to" and it takes me right where it's supposed to take me but if i go in the actual game, nothing happens
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziken_rjcf View Post
i tried that already, monkeyman2092. as i said (or not, maybe i forgot) the settings are perfect. i click "go to" and it takes me right where it's supposed to take me but if i go in the actual game, nothing happens
Hmm... you did put the warps on a door, right?

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman2092 View Post
I've been doing ROM Hacking for 4 months. I think I'm used to it.

EDIT: Some one said they needed help with warps? Well, the first thing is to check the "bank", "map", and "exit". If "bank" or "map" aren't correct, then the warp will mess up and things will act all creepy.
If you THINK you are used to it, you aren't.
You have to be able to script over 5000 lines of script, and think that it is easy. Knowing the scripting language is not everything though. You also have to know your ROM... The RAM, the locations of things IN the ram...
Well, if you think you are ready to learn ASM, complete THIS Tutorial.
(The Tutorial is called [Tut] Having Fun with ASM.)
If you can finish that tutorial, then talk to me, and I'll help you learn some new commands not covered in the tut.
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Blaziken_rjcf
Beginning Trainer

i put it in an elevator. first i tried a wall, then an elevator. its supposed to be a secret warp thing inside a mart
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:14 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaziken_rjcf View Post
i put it in an elevator. first i tried a wall, then an elevator. its supposed to be a secret warp thing inside a mart
Okay. I think I figured out the problem.

Goto Block Editor and find the elevator door tile, and make sure that the behavior type of the tile is set to use door or warp.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Lyzo
On vacation

Nature: Bold
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lyzo
Hey, really simple question here, I was wondering if there was a tool around that changes the order of the whole National pokedex?
Sebbe's poke order editor only edits the first 150 of pokeon firered + leafgreen...

YAPE doesn't have it, and neither does poke editor pro... any other tools I've missed?

If there is a different way, like hex editing? I'd be happy to learn :D

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:29 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzo View Post
Hey, really simple question here, I was wondering if there was a tool around that changes the order of the whole National pokedex?
Sebbe's poke order editor only edits the first 150 of pokeon firered + leafgreen...

YAPE doesn't have it, and neither does poke editor pro... any other tools I've missed?

If there is a different way, like hex editing? I'd be happy to learn :D
Type in 'whack a hack' in the Google Toolbar. Click on the first link. When you get to the site, goto Tool. Click on Tools GBA, then find a program called Pokedex Order Editor.

Note: The site is in spanish.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Regigiygas
I'm no longer Dr. Regigiygason

Location: Well, is there a legendary golem-like cosmic destroyer in YOUR town?
Nature: Quirky
Say I want to be a total noob and edit an existing script instead of make my own. There is an offset in the script that contains things I do not want to change. Do I still need to change the offset into a Free Space Offset? Why or why not?
Join the MOTHER 1, 2, and 3 Fanclub!
~banner by Shaymew
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regigiygas View Post
Say I want to be a total noob and edit an existing script instead of make my own. There is an offset in the script that contains things I do not want to change. Do I still need to change the offset into a Free Space Offset? Why or why not?
If you want to make a new script, you use a Free Space Offset.

If you want to edit a script, then don't change the Offset.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
If you want to make a new script, you use a Free Space Offset.

If you want to edit a script, then don't change the Offset.
Wrong
If you want to edit a script, you want to add a dynamic offset at the top, and replace the main offsets with @something (example @start)
Then from then on you are able to change the script freely, and when you re-compile, it will find a new offset for it to insert automatically.
(If you do it the way you said, you may overwrite the script, or overwrite stuff you don't want to overwrite...)
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM
monkeyman2092
Aipom Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
Wrong
If you want to edit a script, you want to add a dynamic offset at the top, and replace the main offsets with @something (example @start)
Then from then on you are able to change the script freely, and when you re-compile, it will find a new offset for it to insert automatically.
(If you do it the way you said, you may overwrite the script, or overwrite stuff you don't want to overwrite...)
We MUST be using different script editors. I use XSE to edit texts, and when I compile, I rarely have problems with the other stuff in the script.

Old July 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Im comin' home...

Quote:
We MUST be using different script editors. I use XSE to edit texts, and when I compile, I rarely have problems with the other stuff in the script.
I use XSE as well, and have been for a long time.
I am not talking about editing texts, I am talking about editing the script itself. The reason you don't have problems often is because you don't end up typing more text than was originally there. Also, have you ever tried adding new commands into the script, without deleting anything in the script? If you do, it will overwrite other data... (As will if you type text longer than the text that was there...
Is your XSE set up in "Refactoring Mode".
Mine is, which makes it so when you decompile a script, it makes it a dynamic script, instead of a static one...
Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
Greetings Warden
Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
╠══User Info══╣
Username:
0m3GA ARS3NAL
Quote:
"What is this
I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
Awaiting user input...

>
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:56 PM
HackMew
Mewtwo Strikes Back

Quote:
0m3GA ARS3NAL is using XSE just like you. The fact that you rarely have problems doesn't mean you will never have any. And like 0m3GA ARS3NAL said, the Refactoring mode will help.

Sponsored Links

Advertise here